Life@IIFM Bhopal

Hello friends, This thread will provide all the information about life in Indian Institute of Forest Management Bhopal. It will throw light on how awesome campus and infrastructure is? How does a residential course make a difference? why IIFM is…

Hello friends,
This thread will provide all the information about life in Indian Institute of Forest Management Bhopal. It will throw light on how awesome campus and infrastructure is? How does a residential course make a difference? why IIFM is world class sectorial b-school? Everything you think of or want to know about. A real picture of IIFM.. something more than anybody ever dreams or expects from a b-school...
Bhomik Shah

Three years back when I started thinking of writing CAT and land in a B-school, I came across a very exciting name of an institute and that to providing business education and managerial know-how. It was no other than Indian Institute of Forest management Bhopal, from where I am scripting this post. Right now I am sitting under a green tree canopy and monsoon drizzling is making the whole atmosphere harmonious.
Yes, for a moment I was lost in watching flock of birds playing in a group a few feet away from me. I was saying that when I heard of term Forest Management, I didnt believe that at that moment. I googled for it and the whole notion started changing and taking a new form. One of my seniors got in IIFM for 2007-09 batch and all the news, vibes, air and fragrance started flowing towards my side that day onwards.
Indian Institute of Forest Management is not just about Forest Management. The term forest management is more of symptomatic rather than being a comprehensive. There is no doubt that IIFM is a sector-specific b-school and it has a few limitations associated with that. But at the same time it enjoys certain privileges of the same sector. It deals with the holistic aspects of Development, Environment, Climate Change, Livelihood and Conservation. Rather talking as an intellectual let me say IIFM is an Asias stalwart in Grassroots related management education.
Having strength of twenty passed out batches in the core industry and sector it has global reputation. You name any organization or agency dealing with the sectors and fields I mentioned above, you will find an IIFMite working or more probably, heading that organization. There is nothing in boasting and filling air with illusive image of an Institute where we spend two precious years of our life. Even if I have courage to do so, I will never need to do so. Because there are real successes stories associated with our alumni. I will come to that later on; let me tell you more about campus and life herein.
A large stretch of lush green campus (over 241acres), bigger than the village I did my schooling, architectural award winning building-blocks and a serene feeling of being at the top of the world, not world then at least top of the Bhopal. Chirping of birds, whistling of crickets, chorus of a couple of hundred species (not excluding human beings: I mean we) make it a one of the best b-school at this part of the globe. Visit it during July-January and you will say what you have just read. Really, awesome campus, world class infrastructure (I dont know who does define this term) and modern management training tools, above all most acclaimed, highly intellectual and (what adjective to use) down to earth faculty members. Most of the faculty members are above 50 with more than two decades of experience in industry and their respective sectors.
Now let me come to the point, here in IIFM one does not get time to sleep: I am saying so because one hardly wants to sleep in such a lively campus. Life begins with the sun rising as usual, rush to mess and then process of enlightenment continues till the dusk, lunch break apart. Then we are back in our dens but just to begin a second day in the same twenty four hours stretch. Some of us rush to sports complex, some towards cafeteria and those who need more Gyan towards library. Most of us are busy in handling their respective clubs activities. Yup CLUBS.... we do have six clubs all taking care of your personality enhancement, leisure and entertainment. It is in these clubs and other students committees where we learn real management. Everything from mess, guest lecture, internships to placement is handled by us, the students only. We do live far from home but not from hearts and that is here that one comes to know the importance of residential program. Learning process continues till your eyes are open and ears are sensitive to do their job. Dinner brings a new spectrum of managed chaos and divided harmony. Why I do say so? For this you will have to come to IIFM... because words are not always efficient enough to communicate real experiences.
IIFM has student from all streams of education; professional education preferably. They do stand on one platform and make this small world of ours a most happening place at the city of lakes in the heart of India.
A few points one aspirant always looks for:
Food quality: I can bet that it is better than any other B-school because we have students cooperative to run and manage it. Si decision is always ours.
Hostel: Vast room, all facilities, Wi-Fi and LAN enabled
Studies: One has to....
Sports: All of them whether indoors or outdoors... but make sure that you can play volleyball or badminton at 2 am.
Placement: Touching new pinnacle year after year... 100% since inception. Here you look for 5 years down the line... because it is in job profile rather than figures quoted in CTC and company charging you for your 4*4 cabin...
The IIFM campus is something that one needs to explore and exploit for betterment of your batch and your brand Institution. We always do that whether its dawn or dusk, afternoon or midnight. Birds of a feather flock together ... and we are here to do that. Y? Aray kabhi kabhi assignments time par pura nahi hota to do-teen paanch ese students mil hi jaate he... But life here is real mix of pressure from academic block and a pull from hostels fun.
I can keep on writing about night trekking, camping, fieldtrips, excursions, hammocks and different varieties of musti and studies but let others also share their experiences. While being in campus, we do usually find one or two alumni coming to the campus, staying in the guest house, sharing their experiences with some of us. They do come here just to have the feel of the campus life which one always misses in ones life after spending 21 months here.
Before I say Adios let me sum in a few words: whenever you think of IIFM, do not think of it as just a forest management it has got wider spectrum to lead to highway of higher and demanding job altitudes. It has got a power of being an Institute with double II... I hope you got the point. Think of IIFM as one of Asias best b-school in the niche sector. Ask someone from this sector and you will come to know why IIFM stands apart from others...

Best Wishes to all of you and all of us.

A very good post.. sums it all for most of us.. I guess nothin has been left for us to post.... kuch to chod deta mann....

Hiii
I love this institute. MannJain has beautifully written about the basics of IIFM, but thats that about the basics, IIFM, is full of energy and things happen at such a rate that it is almsot impossible to attend almost everything. Events from cultut=ral,literary,nature and adventure club are few ones to mention about the lighter side of IIFM, Sports activities are constantly hapenning, Guest lectures, Inter college events, Everything plus the usual class, assignments, case studies, quizzes, that make the life a live one, no dull days. Not much rest, always less of sleep, and even less of sleep. Everything about this institute is great. We had been a bit busy for few days and Students affairs Council had been formed in these days, Coordinators decided, Junior team members decided, and events began.

Inception was the first to break the ice between thte two batches when the event was organised by literary club, included a diversion from the sterotypical literary event, having, draw and tell contest which was appreciated and loved by all, one minute blabber contest, and a soft GK quiz. Lots of chocolates were distributed to the winner s and the audience.The event was well lauded and marked a well begining to the students affairs at IIFM for the new session.

Funoranjan was the next event organised by the cultural event. Had a variety of events, including, blow and fart the baloon, eating bananas, drink litre of water in one gulp, arm wrestling,eat chillies,etc. The event was as usual fun filled as are all other cultural club events. Everyone enjoyed, and at the end a dj session as also there to loosen up and enjoy. Again chocolates and chips were distributed to the winners.

Freshers Party was organised by the college recently (18th July). Was an excellent one considering the fact that only one day is given to the new batch for preparing for the show. Various events were there, including a skit showing a case being faught by hiranakashyapu agaisnt narsimha for the human rights, since the way of murdering was very inhumane. Other events included a beautiful song by vandana, richa singh accompanied on guitar by angam, ashwin accompanied on guitar by angam, and shoaib accompanied by sahil. A medley of dance was also presneted by aditya and group. All in all an exhillirating event shocasing the talent of the new batch. The event was followed by a delicious dinner in the mess hall.

Following very closely was the reinitiation of the Windows to the world event by the communciation cell. Its main motive was to make the students abreast of whats happening to the world outside climate conservation and development. Lots of such events are proposed. The first one was based on Union Budget and a very engrossing discussion took palce among the moderators and the audience. At the end every one learn something or more about the policies and the budget related news and issues. A nice initiative by the communication cell. And we hope for such more discussions.

The latest event was the Green Talk series organised by the C2EC3. CEO of Madhya Pradesh was the guest of honor and Dr Khare gave the lecture on the various environmental laws. It is a very new series and more of such green talks would be held in future. We came to know much about the various protocols, the effects of GHGs, implications and steps to be taken. A very informative session. Thanks to the C2EC3 cell for orgainising this useful series.

Always more to come.

I was aware of IIFM but not much... however after seeing the posts I am excited to know more about it...what is the composition of students, their back ground, work exp.. actually I am having Btech & 3+ years of IT experience, I am not so happy with what I am doing now...interested in doing something meaningful..like a job where I would be happy to go to work everyday and should get decent renumeration... The idea of woking in development sector or with mother nature will surely be satisfying and fulfiling... will it be worthy applying to IIFM, when the notification for admission will be out... seniors and people at IIFM can throw some light on to the topic....

Due to starting of the CAT process much late this year.
IIFM is still in process finalising the admission process and form would be out soon.
Last year the last date for the submission of the form at IIFM was in 1st week of January 2009. so this year also you can expect a date after the conduct of the CAT.
A new thread for the admission process has not been started yet.
So you can visit the last year admission thread at:
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iifm-bhopal-admissions-2009-11-25034613

You will find answers to your questions at this thread and you can ask more. We will be happy to help you.

itna kuch...but really college mast hai yaar...no doubt.........would do anything to get into IIFM.......waiting for the forms to be out..........

Puys
The current thread of life@iifm is for providing the information about life in Indian Institute of Forest Management Bhopal

For admission Queries please visit this thread

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iifm-bhopal-admissions-2010-12-25044231

hw much thy ask fr cat per??

vicks88 Says
hw much thy ask fr cat per??

Please ask the admission related queries on

I was asked by a faculty as to how I percieve IIFM as. "Snake" was the reply.

3 days back we all saw a huge python climbing a tree near the hostel. Today saw a gecko in my balcony. Some time back, I saw a toad as big as a kitten! A morning walk would guarantee atleast 5-6 different kind of birds. Planning to hit the lake in the campus forest to do some birding and photography. It's that time of the year when migratory birds visit wetlands.

ya.... and not to forget a baby land tortoise and peacocks in the same day... such beautiful place to be in..... once u see them.. whole tension of the next days assignments and quizes just whoosh away....

hi puys.....

my home is near IIFM.....i love to go for a morning walk at IIFM....

the campus is absolutely awsooome.....my dad works there as an

administrative staff....so i get an entry....

puys..wats the percentile score needed to get an assured call .....

wud be gud if u tell the range.....min-max.......

also is there a good enough global exposure??

cheers..

shyam

hi puys.....

my home is near IIFM.....i love to go for a morning walk at IIFM....

the campus is absolutely awsooome.....my dad works there as an

administrative staff....so i get an entry....

puys..wats the percentile score needed to get an assured call .....

wud be gud if u tell the range.....min-max.......

also is there a good enough global exposure??

cheers..

shyam

please post your queries on the thread

Iife@iifm thread is not for the admission related queries
I was asked by a faculty as to how I percieve IIFM as. "Snake" was the reply.

3 days back we all saw a huge python climbing a tree near the hostel. Today saw a gecko in my balcony. Some time back, I saw a toad as big as a kitten! A morning walk would guarantee atleast 5-6 different kind of birds. Planning to hit the lake in the campus forest to do some birding and photography. It's that time of the year when migratory birds visit wetlands.

Ashwin could you post some pics of IIFM campus from your collection on this thread

Some photos from my Aperture library...

Academic block

The Tennis, badminton court and the football field

The mystic Anderi Gali in a winter morning. It's even awesome in a moonless night.

The hostel lawns

Hostel lawns during a DJ night

Common room during Sachin's 175

India Gate and Sunrise.

Sunset from balcony

IIFM is surrounded by 3 lakes.

Python atop a tree

Disclaimer: IIFM campus is livelier, beautiful and charming than my photos.

amazing.
dr. grudge you are a fantastic photographer.

these are one of the amazing pics i have seen of IIFM.... really... super coool awesome..... kudoz to Dr grudge....

I just stumbled upon this thread.. nice thread.. reminded me of my IIFM days... golden days to say the least...

keep it up guys..:)