IRMA[2007] GD/PI Discussions

Congrats to all call getters… Now the results are out we can move to GD/PI preparation * For Call getters list* http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-exams-xat-fms-jmet/27539-irma-07-gd-pi-call.html For Admission queries http://www.p

Congrats to all call getters.. Now the results are out we can move to GD/PI preparation

For Call getters list

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/irma07-gd-pi-call-getters-prm08-25027539
For Admission queries
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/irma-admissions-2007-official-thread-25024796
GD/PI links
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/links-for-gd-pi-experiences-25000720
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/eco-topics-for-gd-pi-prep-by-prof_calculus-25020679
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gd-topics-great-stuff-25005994
http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/prep-resources/545-current-gd-topics.html
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/bblt-udt-dt-cat-2007-gd-pi-prep-25026773

gr8 initiative buddy myself shortlisted with 99.51 percentile 55.5 percent of marks lets collect someotehr puys so that we can have fruitful discussion as for as my knowledge of irma is concern they are very perticular about your rural interest and most of the topic more or less related to the rural sector my two friends are there at irma i will try to find out some actual gd topics................
Seniors at irma are more than welcome to guide us here........
waiting for other call getters to come aboard.........

gr8 initiative buddy myself shortlisted with 99.51 percentile 55.5 percent of marks lets collect someotehr puys so that we can have fruitful discussion as for as my knowledge of irma is concern they are very perticular about your rural interest and most of the topic more or less related to the rural sector my two friends are there at irma i will try to find out some actual gd topics................
Seniors at irma are more than welcome to guide us here........
waiting for other call getters to come aboard.........

Thanks Nafis. thats gr8 :biggrin:

anybody who has any contact with seniors please try to collect as much info reg GD n PI..n Put in here..

n a REQUEST please try not to SPAM here..lets make it work so that we all b batch mates 😁
ATB

Got someuseful link may be it can help u a bit not specially for irma but few issue are there of social concern

Advancedge MBA Online :: Mastering Business Acumen

Got a call 55% marks (110). GD/PI on 14th Feb. Anybody else with the same date?

My friend's sister passed out from IRMA, would collect all the possible info and post here in a few days.

Got a call 55% marks (110). GD/PI on 14th Feb. Anybody else with the same date?

My friend's sister passed out from IRMA, would collect all the possible info and post here in a few days.

Hey man ! ur GDPI is on V day. 😃
Best of luck to you.
May your IRMA Girl accepts ur proposal.
I'll definitely pray for you. 😃

my gd-pi date is 11th feb .I think gdpi dates for candidates have been scheduled in alphabetical order. my name starts with a :robot:

ajucoolest Says
my gd-pi date is 11th feb .I think gdpi dates for candidates have been scheduled in alphabetical order. my name starts with a :robot:

Quite possible mine is on 15th. my friend whose name is ritesh will be on 20th
good observation keep it up
Please Friends DONT SPAM this thread with dates n other stuff..Please post the relevant info ..experiences and question u get hold on..

ATB

good initiative........keep ur heads cool......read newspapers,articles.....and focus on gd/pi.
in irma usually gd's r comparitively easy ,but the interviews r the most critical...they look for ur personality,inside out......so read articles etc and build perspectives on issues(it shd b ur own!!! )...

Gr8 intiative frnz,

I will certainly try to contribute my bit. We can start with posting one topic a day relevent to this forum and ppl can put their ideas.

Say : India still lives in Villages
Info topic: National Rehabilitation Policy-2006
Regards

FeatureINDIAN VILLAGES MARCH TO 21ST CENTURY
Lalit Sethi

India and Indians may be recognised in the world today as the storehouse of brainpower in cutting edge technologies, especially electronics. But is India taking care of the poor Indians who live in the villages nearly 80 per cent of them? That question causes anxiety not only in the government but also among the people at large. The question whether more than 50 years of Independence have tried to give a fair deal to them can now be answered with some positive facts and figures even as a great deal remains to be done. New problems will continue to arise but human ingenuity should be able to try to address them as they crop up. Indian villages are marching to the 21st century with hope and confidence.
Food, clothing and shelter are key human concerns and these problems have not been solved even in the most prosperous and advanced countries as poverty is a phenomenon which is not only in India but world-wide. But has India tried to attack it? Both the government and the people through non-governmental organisations are actively engaged in trying to overcome poverty for tens of millions if not all the people. Safe drinking water is a key factor in human needs today and 85 per cent of human habitations have access to drinking water and this can be considered important in diminishing disease and increasing life expectancy in India to around 60 today.
Literacy around 55 per cent, and with some States and a number of districts already fully literate, has contributed to substantial improvement in the quality of live and quality of work around the country. One expert assessment is that literate and educated farmers increase agricultural output by eight per cent because an enlightened farmer is receptive to new ideas and is better equipped to make judicious use fo farm inputs whether they are seeds, fertilisers, pesticides and use of water. Water being a scare resource, drip irrigation is making a great difference in the best use of available irrigation facilities, limited and erratic as they are at times.
A new technology developed at the Punjab Agriculture University in Ludhiana is "non-tilling" of land: it means that after a crop has been harvested, the residues should be, by and large, let in the farm to become natural fertilisers and not use tractors or ploughs to save labour as well as fuel. Experiments have successfully been carried out in nearly 50,000 hectares in the State. It is estimated that if in a few years non-tilling is successfully applied to the whole of Punjab, fuel savings alone will be worth Rs.800 crore a year. An additional benefit will be that crops can be sown a few weeks later than usual to reduce the impact of adverse weather conditions. Quick growth of crops may eventually add an extra crop to the land and help achieve the declared objective of doubling grain production from 200 million tones now to 400 million tons in eight to ten years. India being one fo the efficient nations engaged in biotechnology could use it to ensure that the farm output projections are within the realm of achievement and not just on paper.
Life in Indian villages being simple and the climate being tropical in large parts of the country, clothing is not a major problem for almost 70 per cent of the people. They need two dhotis each for men and women and some sort of shirting. But life styles are changing even in the countryside and westernised apparel like trousers are being commonly worn alongside T- shirts by the young and middle-aged with the spread of education. Indias textile production is keeping pace with the requirements of the people. Textiles are also becoming a major export product with the best garments and clothing of world class being produced in metropolises and elsewhere. Indias designers are making a mark in the fashion world around the globe and adding substantial value to the export drive. A conservative estimate puts the value of garments at $ 10 billion or Rs.45, 000 crore a year and this is growing by about ten per cent a year.
Shelter for a third fo nearly a billion or 100 crore Indian continues to cause anxiety just as proper school buildings in towns and villages are imperative even as more and more schools have covered buildings and are less and less under tents or trees.
The 1991 census showed that there was a shortage of 137 lakh houses and there were 103 lakh unserviceable kutcha houses. Fifty- three lakh houses have been built under the India Awas Yojana. In 1998 a national housing and habitat policy was announced and 12 lakh houses are nearing completion. Thirteen lakh more houses are being taken up for construction soon. With proposals to construct 25 to 30 lakh new houses every year, three crore houses are expected to be built in the next seven or eight years. But non-governmental agencies, private sector and individuals are also playing a key role in solving the national housing problem. They are expected to add anywhere between five to ten lakh new housing units every year even as migration from the villages to towns and cities continues unabated in search of employment or work. A large number of new townships with housing are coming up for new infrastructure and industrial project both in the public and private sectors. A number of villages are being upgraded to townships. But there are still about six lakh villages in more than 600 districts in 25 States and seven Union Territories of India.
Panchayati Raj institutions are playing a key role in the development process throughout India. Indias panchayats now have 10 lakh women members of panchayats and they are making an excellent contribution to the improvement of villages by showing their qualities of leadership. It is estimated that at leas ten to 15 per cent of the panchayats are headed by women as sarpanches. It is well established that education of girls and spread of literacy among women can make an enormous difference to Indias modernisation without sacrificing time-honoured cultural and inherent values.
Fifty-three per cent of Indian villages are still without any roads and the government plans to connect all villages with a population of more than 1,000. A sum of Rs.5, 000 crore has been earmarked for the Pradhan Mantri Gramodaya Yojana and half of this amount has been reserved for rural connectivity. NGOs and panchayats have a key role to play in this. Village panchayats are being given more powers to manage the affairs of their community and it is proposed that they should have the authority to impose some local taxes so that village projects can be taken up at the grassroots level. But the taxing powers are sought to be made acceptable and within the capacity of the village people to pay.

Hey man ! ur GDPI is on V day. 😃
Best of luck to you.
May your IRMA Girl accepts ur proposal.
I'll definitely pray for you. :)

thanks dude!

On a serious note, does IRMA favor any particular profile type? It would be good if we all can post our profiles on this thread......

Ppl there's already one thread running by the name " IRMA GD/PI call getters" y don't u guys continue ur discussion there coz most of the aspirants r subscribed to that thread. Opening new thread each and every time for GD,PI, Results, GD experience, PI experience, Admission,Call letter etc., for the same institute is really confusing( needless to say annoying 😃 ). Just a suggestion guys 😃 What say?

Requesting all who have got a call to just log in their GD-Pi dates on the following link,

PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2007, GMAT, XAT, CAT 2008, SNAP, IIM - GD/PI Connect

It is an application called GD-PI Connect. It will help us know who else is giving us company on the specified date and will also help organise various GD-PI dates

Also a request to the mod or anyone else in capacity to close off one of the 2 GD-PI threads that are running presently. It is just causing additional confusion. Congrats 2 all and best of luck for those awaiting CAT and other results.

Thr is a series of articles that came up (and may b they r still coming up) in The Hindu....written by Mr.P.Sainath..sorry i dnt hav links or anything..they r abt conditions of farmers...suicides etc...good reads...c if u cn trace them shd b a informative...gives a "different" point of view....
and all the best folks!

I know this may be off topic....But those who have got calls, make the train reservations as soon as possible....
Most of the trains are already full.....

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/hindux.gif" />
Online edition of India's National Newspaper
Tuesday, Nov 13, 2007
Farm suicides worse after 2001 - study

P. Sainath

While the number of farm suicides kept increasing, the number of farmers has fallen since 2001, with countless thousands abandoning agriculture in distress.

backup\e-reading\The Hindu\The HinduOpinion - News AnalysisFarm suicides worse after 2001 - study.mht! backup\e-reading\The Hindu\The HinduOpinion - News AnalysisFarm suicides worse after 2001 - study.mht!http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/13/images/2007111352250901.jpg" />
Although National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data confirm an appalling 1.5 lakh farm suicides between 1997 and 2005, the figure is probably much higher. Worse, the farmers' suicide rate (FSR) - number of suicides per 100,000 farmers - is also likely to be much higher than the disturbing 12.9 thrown up in the 2001 Census.
In the five years from 1997 to 2001, there were 78,737 farm suicides recorded in the country. On average, around 15,747 each year. But in just the next four years 2002-05, there were 70,507. Or a yearly average of 17,627 farm suicides. That is a rise of nearly 1,900 in the yearly averages of the two periods. Simply put, farm suicides have shot up after 2001 with the agrarian crisis biting deeper.
A comprehensive study of official data on farm suicides by K. Nagaraj of the Madras Institute of Development Studies (MIDS) pins down these and other figures. The data analysed by Professor Nagaraj are drawn from the various issues of Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India, a publication of the NCRB. But Professor Nagaraj also explains some of the reasons why the actual numbers and farmers' suicide rate (FSR) could be far higher.
In 2001, when the farm suicides were not yet at their worst, the FSR at 12.9 was already higher than the General Suicide Rate (GSR) - suicides per 100,000 population - at 10.6. But even this higher suicide rate among farmers conceals a far worse reality. Firstly, the NCRB data seem to underestimate the number of farm suicides. This is because the criteria adopted for identifying a farm suicide at the State level are quite stringent. For instance, women and tenant farmers tend to get excluded from lists of farmers' suicides. In those lists, only those with a title to land tend to be counted as farmers. On the other hand, the Census data are based on a very liberal definition of 'cultivator.'
Categories of cultivators

The 2001 Census gives data on two categories of cultivators: Cultivators among 'main workers' and those among 'marginal workers.' For the first group - cultivators among main workers - farming is the main activity. The second group includes those who practice cultivation only on a sporadic basis. However, both groups get counted as farmers. The net result of this is that while deriving the farm suicide rate from the NCRB and Census data, we are saddled with figures that undercount farm suicides but overcount the number of 'farmers.' Hence a value of 12.9 for the FSR is likely to be way below the mark. As Professor Nagaraj points out, "If we took only the cultivators among the main workers as farmers, the FSR increases dramatically to 15.8 which is nearly one and a half times the GSR of 10.6 in 2001."
Secondly, the FSR is anchored in 2001 because that is the year of the Census. However, it was not one of the worst years in terms of farm suicides. Farm suicides in that year actually fell when compared to the previous year, 2000. But the very next year, in 2002, farmers' suicides leapt by about 10 per cent. And the number of such deaths peaked in 2004. So while the number of farmers' suicides shows a rising trend after 2001, the number of farmers may well have declined.
The trend of a decline in cultivators seems to have begun even earlier. The 1991 Census says there were 111 million cultivators among main workers. This fell to 103 million in the 2001 Census. This decline would surely have sharpened after 2001 as the farm crisis deepened. Certainly farming has no new takers.
As Professor Nagaraj's study shows, the Annual Compound Growth rate (ACGR) for all suicides in India over the nine-year period 1997-2005 is 2.18 per cent. This is not very much higher than the population growth rate. For farm suicides, it is much higher, at nearly 3 (or 2.91) per cent. An ACGR of 3 per cent in farm suicides is more alarming as it applies to a smaller total of farmers each year. This means the farm suicide rate must have shot up after 2001.
Suicides by farmers went up 27 per cent during the 1997-2005 period. But non-farm suicides went up by 18 per cent. Indeed, the general suicide rate declined after 2001 - from 10.6 in 2001 to 10.3 in 2005. Which means the increase in general suicides has not kept pace with the increase in the general population. So by all accounts, while the number of farm suicides kept increasing, the number of farmers has fallen since 2001, with countless thousands abandoning agriculture in distress. Which would mean that farm suicides are mounting even as the farm population slowly declines.
Huge differentials in numbers

Lastly, whether we take the farm suicide rate as 12.9 or 15.8, it is the figure for the country as a whole. That again hides huge differentials in the numbers and intensity of farm suicides across the country. There are States and regions in the country where the FSR is appallingly high. There are regions where it is mercifully still low.
Professor Nagaraj accordingly divided the States into four groups. Group I: States with very high general suicide rates. Group II: States with high general suicide rates and large numbers of farmers' suicides. (This is the most important group.) Group 3: States with moderate general and farm suicide rates. And Group 4: States with low general and farm suicide rates (See Table).
What demarcates the Group II States - clearly the worst hit - is also the trend in suicides, which is most dismal there. This key group includes Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Madhya Pradesh (including Chhattisgarh) and Goa. (The last with tiny absolute numbers.) The ratio of farmers' suicide rate to the general suicide rate was highest in this Group (see Table). The overall ratio of this group is 1.7. Which means the farm suicide rate in these States is 70 per cent higher than it is in their whole population.
Of the major States, Maharashtra has the worst figure with a ratio of farmers' suicide rate to general suicide rate of 2.0. That is, one hundred per cent higher. This is followed by Karnataka with 1.6. Of the smaller States, Kerala (from Group I) has the awful figure of 4.7. But it also shows a decline from 2004. Puducherry shows up as the worst with 15.4. Of course, the last two have smaller absolute numbers.
The trend for Group II is most dismal. The AGCR for farm suicides in these States for the 1997-2005 period was 5.33. Or nearly double the national figure of 2.9. And if this trend holds, farm suicides in this group as a whole would double every 13 years. Among these States, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh would fare even worse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that reading will help now...