Eco Topics for GD/PI Prep By prof_calculus

507 Posts  ·  110 Users
About this group
Hello everyone :D A landmark moment for me cos this is the first time I am starting a thread in a section other than chit-chat :: Getting to the point, prof_calculus is an Eco prof in real life and has graciously agreed to start Eco topic di...
Page 1 of 51

Another cool site that gives good news updates and more ammunition for GDPI.

Anyone who is planning to say - I want to do an MBA because I want to be an entreprenuer should definitely take a look at some of the stuff here.

Better to have more facts than required - the lesser the global gyan, the better the chances in a any situation.

Business Portal of India : Government of India, Indian Economy, Investment, Incentives, Trade, Infrastructure, Legal Aspects

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Thanks for removing the "buy" link from your post.

I am thankful for the free and very useful links that you have provided here. I am sure that this would help people.

Welcome to the thread, and I would be happy (and thankful) if you keep contributing here.

thnx puys for the useful thread
There was no intention to sell the course. Its just a bunch of links that gives a good last minute prep course. I am sure that discussing economics on a thread like this helps a lot of people. But some people (like me) who have no prior background in eco find it difficult to relate to a post that talks about gold reserves, FDI etc.

I had just copied the contents of the earlier thread that Raghav suggested we shift here. No harm in sharing info, I think. The link can be ignored...I dont know why it always shows a buy link though. I just directed it to the outline. Even that helps in getting a structure.

Infact, I have now removed the link. My intentions were honorable and I think you should have given that benefit of doubt by asking me to remove it before questioning it.

I agree that we should share free resources as a community. Will keep that in mind.

Thanks for removing the "buy" link from your post.

I am thankful for the free and very useful links that you have provided here. I am sure that this would help people.

Welcome to the thread, and I would be happy (and thankful) if you keep contributing here.

There was no intention to sell the course. Its just a bunch of links that gives a good last minute prep course. I am sure that discussing economics on a thread like this helps a lot of people. But some people (like me) who have no prior background in eco find it difficult to relate to a post that talks about gold reserves, FDI etc.

I had just copied the contents of the earlier thread that Raghav suggested we shift here. No harm in sharing info, I think. The link can be ignored...I dont know why it always shows a buy link though. I just directed it to the outline. Even that helps in getting a structure.

Infact, I have now removed the link. My intentions were honorable and I think you should have given that benefit of doubt by asking me to remove it before questioning it.

I agree that we should share free resources as a community. Will keep that in mind.

Hi,

I have compiled a list of websites/links that will help in interviews. For anyone
Background in finance
Interest in Finance for interview
Wants to do MBA finance
Wants to know economics
As this is my area of interest.

If u enter this u get a Rs.200 discount on the GDPI prep course.It is for all call getters,,,so i am posting it here.."

I could not keep up with my commitment to contribute into this thread, after joining IIMB.

I regret this lapse on my part. The reason for my complacency is that the spare time that I get after my studies, goes to my family. Anyway, if people put there queries here, I would try to answer them.

Being absent from this thread for long time, I do not see any reason for being upset on the current trends, but I could help it when I saw a course selling post in this thread.

In the past, People like Tanveer and many others have contributed their valuable time and efforts in order to provide free information to Puys here. It is a team effort by many such people that has made this thread so popular in those times. I salute all the volunteers who made this thread so useful.

Now I see a thread leading to a buy links and a discount for those who have read it here ???
It claims to have approval of the moderators. I do not know whether the mods have actually approved it or not.

In my subjective and biased opinion, I dislike selling of any information (or course) in this thread as it goes against the community spirit of PG.
:-(

Hi,

I have compiled a list of websites/links that will help in interviews. For anyone
Background in finance
Interest in Finance for interview
Wants to do MBA finance
Wants to know economics
As this is my area of interest.

FLIP Finance & Economics Fundamentals
This course gives an overview of economics as well as finance. Very well designed and keeping CAT prep in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_India]
This gives an overview of facts and figures about indian economy - very basic and very important

This gives an overview of facts and figures about indian economy - very basic and very important

http://indianeconomy.org/
This blog is an important read for current affairs etc. Simple and crisp and also well categorized.

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/country/in-india/eco-economy&all;=1
One of the best strategies in a GDPI is to quote hard facts/numbers. This one page will give you all the numbers you need.

http://www.economist.com/countries/India/
The economist India page is not a last minute prep thingie, but it has good coverage and you need a basic level of understanding to get something out of it. If you do the other 4 (mentioned above) you should not have a problem with this.

If you follow the above resources, 4 hours a day ...for a week, you should be a champ in Eco and Finance by then

I just hope this helps people in the same predicament as I was sometime ago. If you find it helpful drop me a thanks

PS: I just moved this thread here (as suggested by the Mod)
PPS: I am copying Pritha's post also. If anyone buys the course it would help them

"Pritha:
I emailed a query to the FLIP guyz...they have given a code IIM101. If u enter this u get a Rs.200 discount on the GDPI prep course.It is for all call getters,,,so i am posting it here.."">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_India

http://indianeconomy.org/
This blog is an important read for current affairs etc. Simple and crisp and also well categorized.

http://www.nationmaster.com/red/country/in-india/eco-economy&all;=1
One of the best strategies in a GDPI is to quote hard facts/numbers. This one page will give you all the numbers you need.

http://www.economist.com/countries/India/
The economist India page is not a last minute prep thingie, but it has good coverage and you need a basic level of understanding to get something out of it. If you do the other 4 (mentioned above) you should not have a problem with this.

If you follow the above resources, 4 hours a day ...for a week, you should be a champ in Eco and Finance by then

I just hope this helps people in the same predicament as I was sometime ago. If you find it helpful drop me a thanks

PS: I just moved this thread here (as suggested by the Mod)
PPS: I am copying Pritha's post also. If anyone buys the course it would help them

"Pritha:
I emailed a query to the FLIP guyz...they have given a code IIM101. If u enter this u get a Rs.200 discount on the GDPI prep course.It is for all call getters,,,so i am posting it here.."

Yesterday I was complating about the 200 MT gold purchase by India.
With a lot of expected inflow of foreign investment in India, Dollar is all set to come down vis a vis India rupee. At the same time, the Forex reserve is also expected to rise.
It makes sense to convert some of currency asset (in US$) into gold, which is the real universal curency.

The coursework is over and I have got back some more control my life.
I guess it is time to get back to the community that has helped me so much.

I guess I would like to restart the discussion on this thread in the coming weeks. We can discuss the issues under the subject domain of "Economics".
I was just contemplating whether I should restart here or start afresh with a new thread on the same theme. Anyway, I don't think it makes any big difference.
I hope the participation of community would enrich my understanding of the subject field as well.

pc

Welcome Back Prof C!!!

Good to have you here..

Regards
Tanveer
http://bit.do/prepforlife

The coursework is over and I have got back some more control my life.
I guess it is time to get back to the community that has helped me so much.

I guess I would like to restart the discussion on this thread in the coming weeks. We can discuss the issues under the subject domain of "Economics".
I was just contemplating whether I should restart here or start afresh with a new thread on the same theme. Anyway, I don't think it makes any big difference.
I hope the participation of community would enrich my understanding of the subject field as well.

pc

What is the outlook for India?
24. The outlook for India going forward is mixed. There is evidence of
economic activity slowing down. Real GDP growth has moderated in the first half
of 2008/09. The services sector too, which has been our prime growth engine for
the last five years, is slowing, mainly in construction, transport and
communication, trade, hotels and restaurants sub-sectors. For the first time in
seven years, exports have declined in absolute terms for three months in a row
during October-December 2008. Recent data indicate that the demand for bank
credit is slackening despite comfortable liquidity in the system. Higher input costs
and dampened demand have dented corporate margins while the uncertainty
surrounding the crisis has affected business confidence. The index of industrial
production has shown negative growth for two recent months and investment
demand is decelerating. All these factors suggest that growth moderation may be
steeper and more extended than earlier projected.
25. In addressing the fall out of the crisis, India has several advantages. Some
of these are recent developments. Most notably, headline inflation, as measured
by the wholesale price index, has fallen sharply, and recent trends suggest a
faster-than-expected reduction in inflation. Clearly, falling commodity prices have
been the key drivers behind the disinflation; however, some contribution has also
come from slowing domestic demand. The decline in inflation should support
consumption demand and reduce input costs for corporates. Furthermore, the
decline in global crude prices and naphtha prices will reduce the size of subsidies
to oil and fertilizer companies, opening up fiscal space for infrastructure
spending. From the external sector perspective, it is projected that imports will
shrink more than exports keeping the current account deficit modest.
26. There are also several structural factors that have come to India's aid.
First, notwithstanding the severity and multiplicity of the adverse shocks, India's
financial markets have shown admirable resilience. This is in large part because
India's banking system remains sound, healthy, well capitalized and prudently
regulated. Second, our comfortable reserve position provides confidence to
overseas investors. Third, since a large majority of Indians do not participate in
equity and asset markets, the negative impact of the wealth loss effect that is
plaguing the advanced economies should be quite muted. Consequently,
consumption demand should hold up well. Fourth, because of India's mandated
priority sector lending, institutional credit for agriculture will be unaffected by the
credit squeeze. The farm loan waiver package implemented by the Government
should further insulate the agriculture sector from the crisis. Finally, over the
years, India has built an extensive network of social safety-net programmes,
including the flagship rural employment guarantee programme, which should
protect the poor and the returning migrant workers from the extreme impact of the
global crisis.
RBI's Policy Stance
27. Going forward, the Reserve Bank's policy stance will continue to be to
maintain comfortable rupee and forex liquidity positions. There are indications
that pressures on mutual funds have eased and that NBFCs too are making the
necessary adjustments to balance their assets and liabilities. Despite the
contraction in export demand, we will be able to manage our balance of
payments. It is the Reserve Bank's expectation that commercial banks will take
the signal from the policy rates reduction to adjust their deposit and lending rates
in order to keep credit flowing to productive sectors. In particular, the special
refinance windows opened by the Reserve Bank for the MSME (micro, small and
medium enterprises) sector, housing sector and export sector should see credit
flowing to these sectors. Also the SPV set up for extending assistance to NBFCs
should enable NBFC lending to pick up steam once again. The government's
fiscal stimulus should be able to supplement these efforts from both supply and
demand sides.
When the turn around comes
28. Over the last five years, India clocked an unprecedented nine per cent
growth, driven largely by domestic consumption and investment even as the share
of net exports has been rising. This was no accident or happenstance. True, the
benign global environment, easy liquidity and low interest rates helped, but at the
heart of India's growth were a growing entrepreneurial spirit, rise in productivity
and increasing savings. These fundamental strengths continue to be in place.
Nevertheless, the global crisis will dent India's growth trajectory as investments
and exports slow. Clearly, there is a period of painful adjustment ahead of us.
However, once the global economy begins to recover, India's turn around will be
sharper and swifter, backed by our strong fundamentals and the untapped growth
potential. Meanwhile, the challenge for the government and the RBI is to manage
the adjustment with as little pain as possible.
General Studies for IAS/IPS EXAM http://rajeshsingathiaa.blogspot.in/