[2012-2013] CAT Coaching Classes / Test Series Queries

Hi Friends, Carrying forth the tradition , here we come up with a new thread for queries related to coaching classes for 2012-13 season. We have tried to compile all the general queries asked by fellow puys and solutions to these queri…

Hi Friends,

Carrying forth the tradition , here we come up with a new thread for queries related to coaching classes for 2012-13 season.

We have tried to compile all the general queries asked by fellow puys and solutions to these queries suggested by puys throughout the last year .

Beginning with the most favourite question on the thread, which coaching to join in the city πŸ˜ƒ .. here is what the suggestions have been in recent past for few most commonly asked cities πŸ˜ƒ

No major changes were observed in suggested classes across cities. πŸ˜ƒ

Delhi - both TIME and CL are good.. mostly puys who have posted prefer CP centre of CL
Mumbai - CL has better faculty , TIME is better in terms of results
Bangalore - CL , TIME ,Byju classes are best in city for QA and DI , IMS
Lucknow - Team Satyam is doing good with Satyam being the same person who was owning CL Franchise 1 year back...TIME results have dropped a bit in the city... IMS and CL are doing decent ..
Chennai - CL followed by TIME and then IMS.

Hyderabad - TIME and CL
BBSR- Erudite has good faculty in QA... but mocks are not good.
PUNE - TIME is best ( not good in VA faculty ) , CL is good and Genesis Mentors have been appreciated as well.
Chandigarh - Bulls eye , CL , TIME , IMS ( in preference order) ... test series of CL or TIME is suggested to those who join bulls eye for national level exposure. Educomp is also producing decent results.

Kolkata - CL , Erudite is a good option followed by IMS and TIMES
Noida- TIME is considered best with very good VA faculty , then comes IMS

Trivandrum - TIME is best .. then IMS
Jaipur - TIME ( good QA faculty ), PT ( good VA faculty ) , Kings Education ( QA, DI and LR faculties have been appreciated )
Nagpur - IMS ,PT, TIME

For work ex people
Weekend batches available in all major cities.

Which center of these institutes to join in any given city ??
Generally all centers of any coaching have same faculty ... same faculty commutes center to center .. so it does not matter which center you choose. It is suggested to choose center near your place to save time.

Also, talk to students at respective centres to know the importance being given to that particular centre.

General approach suggested for preparation ?
Step 1-
Finish off the basics first either from CL/TIME/IMS material. If you have more than 1 material take your time learn basics from one material but solve exercises from all material.
Give yourself a time of 3 months (max) to do that. Even 2 hrs a day, would suffice πŸ˜ƒ People have cracked it in even lesser time, depends entirely on the focus and efficiency of your study period.

Step 2-
Start with online sectional tests now. If you are not performing well in any section, u can practice more of that. Always do the follow up of every sectional test with the analysis of all questions irrespective of the fact whether you could solve it or not.

Step 3-
Start with full fledged online tests now. Learn to time yourself & use different strategies. But to arrive at that one strategy that suits u, u will require a lot of time, practice & detailed analysis of each of your tests.

This is a common note to all. Prepare vocabulary well. No need to cram the words rather focus on their meaning as well as contextual usage.

The best thing is to write 5 words with their meaning & usage everyday. maintain a diary...5 words * 30 days = 150 words per month. and when you write words on your own you remember them better (my experience). Words make a huge difference in exams like SNAP, NMAT etc...because they usually ask direct synonyms & antonyms n if u know your words well...u already have those marks in your kitty.

Now, moving to other FAQs :)

1. How many test series are recommended ?

Though people have been able to crack CAT and other MBA entrance exams with just 1 test series, it is suggested that if possible enroll for test series of both TIME and CL. It is perceived as the best combination of test series by CAT maulers in past subject to the condition that each and every mock is analyzed in detail.

Link to thread for test series schedule and discussion on same http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/cat-2012-mock-test-series-discussion-and-schedule-25081179

Following should help for Section II except the work done at coaching classes http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/how-to-crack-section-ii-of-the-cat-25081933

2. How useful is taking coaching classes for CAT ?? OR
Can one prepare at home with the appropriate study material with him ?? OR Does taking classes actually makes a lot of difference ??

The basic purpose of coaching is regularity in preparation , guidance from faculty and some feel of competition from batch mates in coaching classes before the start of mocks. If one can be regular without coaching , he can opt for not going for coaching classes.

Coachings also help in knowing the pattern of exams , your strong and weak areas , methods to work on them and information about colleges from faculty etc. Hence, for first time takers coaching is suggested unless he/she knows all these beforehand. But, one must join regular mock test series provided by coachings for knowing where he/she stands. Also , for GD/PI , one should join coaching classes.

But, dont think of coaching as the only way to preparation.You have to revise,analyse & work on the stuff taught to you on that day/weekend. There are lot of people who do mistake by thinking that things taught in coaching are the only preparation required and never touch books / mocks till it is november.

3. How many coachings should one take for classroom programs / how many study materials to be followed?

Only 1 study material is sufficient. But you should solve it properly and analyse it in detail.

4. Best way to decide coaching in any city
Class room program varies from city to city ... one should interact with faculty , center head and students .. before going for a decision.

5. People who don't have any coaching center in their cities, what should they do ?
Arrange material from friends and go through basics .... then join test series in nearby cities. These days most of the mocks are online which you can take from your system, for proctored/invigilated mocks you can go to the centres in nearby cities after booking the slot and take the mock :)

6. Centers of Byju classes?
They are in Bangalore, Delhi , Mumbai , Chennai , Pune , Kolkata , Hyderabad , Manipal. Byju is considered to be very good in QA and DI Shortcuts.

7.Can i start preparing around june/july after my college gets over??
Yes, you can start in june/july... it is not late to start at this time of year .. just plan accordingly and divide your efforts in every section in proportion to your strengths and weaknesses.

8. Fees for classroom programs??
Varies from city to city ... discounts offered on basis of profile and previous cat scores. Negotiation is possible as well.

contd...

contd...
9. What about demo classes??
You could request some coaching centers to give you sample/demo lectures, so that you can identify their strengths/weaknesses.Try going through some handouts/materials from different coaching centers by asking friends/acquaintances so that you get a feel of the material.

The rest is totally your choice. Think about it, weigh your priorities and decide.

10. I have been failing in VA since past 2 yrs. Please if someone can guide me to improve my VA section. I need to improve significantly. Please if someone can tell me the books or the classes i shoud join.

For vocab improvement read books
Word Power made easy - Norman Lewis
All about words - Rosenbaum
Six Weeks to Words of Power by Wilfred Funk

RC - Improve reading speed. Read books , do online reading ( most commonly suggested source : Arts & Letters Daily - ideas, criticism, debate )

For mistakes in sentences etc. coaching institutes recommend grammar books such as Wren and Martin. May help but a really humongous task. Since I have read a lot, I do them by instinct. I usually skip questions having more than one mistake as it is easy to go wrong. Easy to locate if there is just one mistake. Arranging sentences in sequence is no English. Thats just plain logic.

courtesy - post by 'The Raven' ( IIM-A)

11. We do not find any DI material to be good , what to refer for DI questions ?

To start with, Arun Sharma DI book plus DI material of either TIME/CL/IMS is decent. Try to solve as many caselets as possible through previous year mocks and sectional tests. There is no very good book as such on DI stuff.

12. Suggestions for correspondence course and its comparison with regular study material?
Offered by TIME, CL , IMS , career forum .... almost same material which is given to class room students.

13. Suggest coachings for snap , cet , mat and other non cat exams??

All coachings have special sessions for these exams as well as seperate mocks focussed on these exams.

14. Coaching suggestions for gd/pi ??
IMS conducts Achievers workshop for call getters from top b schools.

CL conducts gd/pi sessions for top b school getters which are very good stress busters.

Sessions on GDPI by TIME are also good ones.

In short, either of these would be helpful if one can attend 4-5 mock PIs and few mock GD sessions apart from the sessions on the same by their experts.

15. I am not joining any coaching for classroom program, which books should i refer to ?

Please refer to this thread for details on books http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/books-for-cat-preparation-25010537 πŸ˜ƒ

16. Miscellaneous Points
- For re-takers only test series is suggested. Preferably both TIME & CL.

- CL has advantage of good personal attention given to students..

- TIME'S material is very exhaustive with good QA and DI stuff!

- IMS has best VA material ... but TIME and CL also have good enough VA.

If your query remains unanswered still , go ahead and post it.... fellow puys will answer it soon πŸ˜ƒ

Link to last year's thread on CAT coaching queries http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2011-2012-cat-coaching-classes-queries-25067146

All the best! :thumbsup:
Varun

Hi I am only looking for coaching in QA section only..Can some one please suggest me ..What options do i have in delhi....As the rest of the big brands are for both the sections and little expensive too..

Please suggest...

CL or TIME.. which one is the Better one in bangalore ... and also which branch of these institutes in b'lore ???

mbajamesbond Says
Hi I am only looking for coaching in QA section only..Can some one please suggest me ..What options do i have in delhi....As the rest of the big brands are for both the sections and little expensive too..

in Byju you can go for a particular section, qa/di , don't know if they still have it... byju classes are available in delhi
mbajamesbond Says

Alchemist offers module wise training. You can ask them.

Hai puys...!!

've jus called TIME, chennai to make clear about class timings and etc... but i informed that the TIME is divided into 2 separate institutions... TIME nd Vista mind..... 'm in a grt confusion.... can anyone make me clear about which coaching center is best in chennai.....???

Which is the best coaching centre in Ahmedabad/Gandhinagar?

Some of them are having batches for CAT 2012 starting this june 6 n 10th. How can they provide CAT coaching in such a short interval(5 months)? Will it suffice?

My working hours are 930-630 (5 days a week)........

Which is the best coaching centre in Ahmedabad/Gandhinagar?

Some of them are having batches for CAT 2012 starting this june 6 n 10th. How can they provide CAT coaching in such a short interval(5 months)? Will it suffice?

My working hours are 930-630 (5 days a week)........

Buddy

It suffices generally if one prepares regularly at home as well πŸ˜ƒ

Coaching institutes are just to provide guidance, make you acquainted with changing patterns and few tricks. They dont make you ready to be a B-Schooler, that you need to do yourself. πŸ˜ƒ

Hence, coaching institutes' 5 months course is also sufficient. But, do make full use of faculties there in resolving your doubts and in exploring multiple ways to solve a problem.

Cheers!
@vision sir
for jaipur
kindly add "kings Education" QA,DI,LR Faculty is outstanding i can assure you that.

p.s.-please delete the post if it is not allowed...
p.s.-please delete the post if it is not allowed...

Done :thumbsup:

HI,
I am a Chartered Accountant and a Comapny Secretary and I wish to do MBA from New Delhi. Can you tell me the best coaching institute in Delhi having the best faculty which can help me to crack CAT in dis Oct-Nov session. Please reply as quickly as possible so that I can proceed with the same.

HI,
I am a Chartered Accountant and a Comapny Secretary and I wish to do MBA from New Delhi. Can you tell me the best coaching institute in Delhi having the best faculty which can help me to crack CAT in dis Oct-Nov session. Please reply as quickly as possible so that I can proceed with the same.

Buddy have a look at the previous page..You will get a good idea..

Hi
I am a repeater. Gave CAT last year and attended the entire classroom training of CL in Bangalore.
So I am looking for a kind of a repeater's special batch this time.
But the problem is I am not satisfied with the existing CL faculty...please suggest what should I do...go for CL again or any other because any other institute might be a complete gamble...in terms of faculty...
suggest if any common place is there where I can directly interact with students of other institute...

Plz reply

Hi
I am looking for a coaching institute in Pune for weekend batches .

please suggest between Time and BYJU classes////

Guys.Im a former TIME student but after this TIME/ VISTAMIND split, the new order doesn seem to be clicking in Chennai/Bangalore .Anybody from Madipakkam / Velachery TIme centers please note that there are no AIMCAT centers in velachery/madipakkam and total no of aimcat centres is reduced to 3 from the previous 7 and there are no CAT classes going to be held in Madipakkam.They are trying to convince people to join ANNA nagar or ADYAR.This is not fair

hii all serious MBA aspirants,

i m planning to join coaching for CAT 2012,,which coaching would be good for that and from which city in india????

hii all serious MBA aspirants,

i m planning to join coaching for CAT 2012,,which coaching would be good for that and from which city in india????

Byju in bangalore

Hi,

Any of you know how is TIME East of Kailash (Delhi) faculty wise? Is it worth joining the weekend classes there spending Rs.40000?

Any other good coaching classes in south delhi?