XLRI - Business Management

Hello Friends, The B-School entrace exam season is on and most of you must be burning your mid-night oil to do your best in those 2 hours. I wish you all the best for the same and hope to see a few of you as my juniors too. I thought th…

Hello Friends,

The B-School entrace exam season is on and most of you must be burning your mid-night oil to do your best in those 2 hours. I wish you all the best for the same and hope to see a few of you as my juniors too.

I thought this was the right time to pitch in and help you folks with any kind of information that might help you especially related to XLRI Business Management Program as well as XAT.

You can send in any query you have regarding XLRI. So start shooting.

Hey can you tell us about 1 year General mgmt program and what does 3 yrs managerial work exp mean. Who fits and who doesnt?????

GauravHyd Says
Hey can you tell us about 1 year General mgmt program and what does 3 yrs managerial work exp mean. Who fits and who doesnt?????

We have people with even 5 years of workex in our BM program. I had 3 years of workex before joining XLRI. You get a lot of edge when it comes to the Final Placements where you stand a great chance for Lateral Placements.

You can as well apply for the GMP program. The course is very well structured so that you don't miss out anything important.

Hi,

There r already exists a thread for XAT-XLRI discussion - http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xat-xlri-2006-queries-discussion-25011034
This was started 3-4 months back...plz go thru it as u will find a lot of quries and data put in by us...also, plz put any queries in future on this thread itself...as its easier for us to track single thread..

Cheers,
Saurabh

Hi,

There r already exists a thread for XAT-XLRI discussion - http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xat-xlri-2006-queries-discussion-25011034
This was started 3-4 months back...plz go thru it as u will find a lot of quries and data put in by us...also, plz put any queries in future on this thread itself...as its easier for us to track single thread..

Cheers,
Saurabh

Noted your comment. I have gone through that thread. I have created this thread specifically to cater queries related to Business Management Program.

So people who are interested to know more can keep posting. πŸ˜ƒ

Can anybody throw some lights on XLRI's new 1 year Gen. Mang. Prog.(GPM)

my profile is

work ex, (after BE): 4 years

B.E: passout 2001 : 84.7%
12th: passout 1997: 75%
10 th passout: 1995: 87%

do I fit for 1 year GPM or 2 year BM or PM/IR prog??
Is this the first year for GPM??

my profile is

You are eligible to all the three courses. However you should be clear with what exactly you want to do. The PMIR program is for people who aspire to lead a career in HR. The BM program is similar to one offered by the other B-Schools. The GMP program is a one year program which is taken up by people who want to add value both in terms of knowledge and career.

So first make up your mind and then start applying. It is very crucial to understand where does your interest lie. All the Best.
You are eligible to all the three courses. However you should be clear with what exactly you want to do. The PMIR program is for people who aspire to lead a career in HR. The BM program is similar to one offered by the other B-Schools. The GMP program is a one year program which is taken up by people who want to add value both in terms of knowledge and career.

So first make up your mind and then start applying. It is very crucial to understand where does your interest lie. All the Best.

Hey but what does a managerial work ex mean in GM program. I am a senior software engineer passed colllege in 2002(shud be 4 yrs work ex by next may). marks = 74% in engineering from NIT. Gmat score = 690. I am working with Oracle Corp on Oracle ERP for last 2 years now.
Is gmat score acceptable for GM program ?? Do i stand a chance there or my exp will not be considered managerial?

I am quoting this from the XLRI website "The programme has been designed for working executives, who have a Bachelor's degree (minimum of three years full-time study) from a recognized university in any discipline with at least three years of post-degree full-time experience in executive capacity"
With 4 years of workex you are completely eligible to apply for the program. Infact you can even go for the 2 year BM program.
Regarding GMAT score I would get back to you later after enquiring from Admissions Office.

thanks a lot rex.... see this is what i found on XL website

Candidates applying for One Year General Management programme must hold a minimum of three years Bachelor's Degree from a recognized University in India/abroad in any discipline, be employed in a full-time job, must have at least three years of relevant managerial experience as on May 31, 2006 in an organisation of repute in the public, private or nongovernmental sector after completing graduation.
http://xlri.ac.in/x_programmes/gmp.htm
managerial exp is troubling me here. Dont know what that means. I am not writing XAT, therefore was only looking for GM program if they take gmat scores.

Also can you tell us the avg starting salary at XL these days? Do you think for me leaving 7 lacs job for two years would justify the job when I pass out from XL???. I know mba is more than just money but I am a bit concerned on money perspective .;-). Your opinion would help a lot.

Candidates applying for One Year General Management programme must hold a minimum of three years Bachelor's Degree from a recognized University in India/abroad in any discipline, be employed in a full-time job, must have at least three years of relevant managerial experience as on May 31, 2006 in an organisation of repute in the public, private or nongovernmental sector after completing graduation.
http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...dmissions.html
This thread is maintained by Satish, a current GMP student. You may ask him any specific queries also.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Saurabh

thanks saurabhnigam

I have my query posted on that thread for last 6 days :(, so i thought of trying my luck on this thread πŸ˜‰

thanks saurabhnigam

I have my query posted on that thread for last 6 days :(, so i thought of trying my luck on this thread ;)

hey Gaurav....

GMP is a packed program...and as such these guys are always on the run...so maybe Satish dint get the time to reply to u....will definitely ask let him to take a look at ur queries...

Cheers,
Saurabh

my profile is

Hi Baishakhi:

For any queries, related to XLRI GMP, you can chk post( and view details) in this thread
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xlri-1-yr-mba-gmp-2006-07-batch-admissions-25011322

Also it difficult to answer, queries like "which course which fits my profile". it got more to with what are your career objectives, your quality of job experience, how much time can you afford to spend etc.. . I know its a tough choice, but then knowing the difference shall help you select the appropriate prog.. if there is any specific to GMP, pls post in the above mentioned GMP thread, I shall attempt to answer it.. else you can post queries related to BM in this thread and my friends here in BM progam shall help you.

Sathish
hey Gaurav....

GMP is a packed program...and as such these guys are always on the run...so maybe Satish dint get the time to reply to u....will definitely ask let him to take a look at ur queries...

Cheers,
Saurabh

Thanks Saurabh for reminder. πŸ˜ƒ

Just replied to Gaurav query on the GMP thread at http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xlri-1-yr-mba-gmp-2006-07-batch-admissions-25011322

Also pls direct other queries related to GMP to the above mentioned thread, I shall attempt to answer with a few days time..

Sathish

http://xlri.ac.in/x_programmes/gmp.htm
managerial exp is troubling me here. Dont know what that means. I am not writing XAT, therefore was only looking for GM program if they take gmat scores.

Also can you tell us the avg starting salary at XL these days? Do you think for me leaving 7 lacs job for two years would justify the job when I pass out from XL???. I know mba is more than just money but I am a bit concerned on money perspective .;-). Your opinion would help a lot.

Hi Rex:

Sorry for diverting the attention from the BM related queries, but just a quick reply to Gaurav Queries.

Hi Gaurav:
Managerial exp, is vaguely defined by the college, but broadly they are looking for people who have demonstrated excellence & achievement in work and are loooking towards enhancing their career with an MBA degree.

Specifically If you are a software engineer, then they shall look at whether have you lead any teams and what kind of projects were involved and did it involve any business or people management challenges and what was your contribution in solving them.. etc..

Nope, XLRI Doesnt take GMAT score for any of its programmes in India, as for as I know.

Sathish

can you please confirm for gmat thing? I heard that they do

I am not sure what in this Managerial EXP confuses u that much ! You have been working for 4 years ..... Have you lead a team ? have your leadership skills been leveraged by the organisation ? What were your projects and were your contribution to them , good enough to cliaim that those project survived (also because of you) on ur hardwork .... how many times have u been to onsite ?

In an IT company, most of us have been managers, Some get a chance to lead the team at a very early stage and some may have to wait for a few years to get a chance. When u lead a small group for some small task, U become a manager ... Tats managerial experiance ..... 3 / 4 years of managerial experiance does not mean that u shud have lead a team for the entire duration .... You exposure to team management could have been even as short as 1 year .......

Again as sats said, its vaugely defined by the college, so u can define ur statement when u sit for the interviews ... They dont look for people with some hardcore managerial experiance like 10 years (though we have some ppl like that in GMP) .... we also have people with less that 4 yrs of experiance in the current GMP batch

yes 7 lakhs and ur logic for not wastin 2 years is absolutely justified ... you are right ! your profile and the experiance will be good for an years course ... many college like XLRI, IIM A , IIM C, ISB offer it ! again at the end of the day , ITS UR PICK ....

think on this ...

JK

thanks buddy...that was helpful