work ex in NGO or in Infy

Hi everyone… I am a final year student and doing my b.e. in comp science…i have a litle confusion…actually i have a job offer from infy and a fellowship from an ngo called TEACH FOR INDIA. It is a 2 year internship in which the fe…

Hi everyone.....

I am a final year student and doing my b.e. in comp science.....i have a litle confusion.....actually i have a job offer from infy and a fellowship from an ngo called TEACH FOR INDIA. It is a 2 year internship in which the fellows have to teach the children of primary schools( class 1 and 2) in govt. schools in Mumbai or Pune. The stipend is 15k.

As i want to do mba eventually, which should i take. Should i stick in the technical line in Infy initially or go for Teach For India......
Other details of the fellowship can be found at the website....

Thanks in advance....kindly help me out.....

Hi everyone.....

I am a final year student and doing my b.e. in comp science.....i have a litle confusion.....actually i have a job offer from infy and a fellowship from an ngo called TEACH FOR INDIA. It is a 2 year internship in which the fellows have to teach the children of primary schools( class 1 and 2) in govt. schools in Mumbai or Pune. The stipend is 15k.

As i want to do mba eventually, which should i take. Should i stick in the technical line in Infy initially or go for Teach For India......

see buddy. in MBA colleges the selection panel aims at diversification.
people having INFY or IT work ex will be in large number..
and person like u having NGO work ex will be lesser.
and hence u will have better chances..
my take would be NGO.
please post queries in existing threads..

Please search PG before opening new threads. Please continue here:-

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/queries-on-infosysjobspostingscall-dates-et-al-25003607

see buddy. in MBA colleges the selection panel aims at diversification.
people having INFY or IT work ex will be in large number..
and person like u having NGO work ex will be lesser.
and hence u will have better chances..
my take would be NGO.
please post queries in existing threads..

but then that only happens at the top 15 B schools , beyond that point Work Ex in IT i feel wud be more beneficial as colleges know such people wud be hired as laterals in IT companies coming on campus and so the colleges can show a higher average package.. go for NGO only if u feel for the cause and not because it would help in diversified profile
Hi everyone.....

since you are already a computer science grad..getting into IT is a natural progression. no one will question u in interviews on that (they do for others like me B.tech electrical and working in Infy:lookround:)

I believe u have gone for NGO placement becoz u might be inclined towards it at the first instance...but u should be working 2 years there at 15k....so if money also plays an imp role be very sure before u take a leap...by 2 years ur friends who are in IT might be earning on an average at around 30K.....lifestyles would be diff...etc etc

I know some o my friends who right after gradn use to say they want to go for MBA but after 2 or 3 years .....most of them dropped out....so what abt u????
if u drop plans of doing MBA and shift to IT sector at later point of time , it might be difficult...but it wouldbe easy vice versa(shifting from IT to NGO)

PROS in Choosing NGO:

(1)its a latest fashion in B schools to talk much on diversity and as such some B schools out right give addditional marks if u are not fom IT

(2)U have better chance , if u can cross written stage...during interview u will definetely hold an edge...But u should be ableto justify the shift from NGO to MBA(in one of my interview we had 9 guys from infy of a total of 17 the panel interviewed

(3)self satisfaction and individual identity...trust me this plays a role....imagine urself being one among 1lakh + employees....

CONS

(1) less pay

(2) If u change plans in future , would be a bit difficult to shift to IT again

All the best
amitdgarg Says
but then that only happens at the top 15 B schools , beyond that point Work Ex in IT i feel wud be more beneficial as colleges know such people wud be hired as laterals in IT companies coming on campus and so the colleges can show a higher average package.. go for NGO only if u feel for the cause and not because it would help in diversified profile

i agree qith u but the list for me goes upto 25 colleges.
given th efact that 13 IIMs r there.