VGSOM 2010-2012 Admission queries

Hi Puys, Howz preparation going. sorry for having VGSOM out of the discussion process till now… were having our mid sems… n u gotta believe that they were really tough… we screwed up big time :: and so have decided to utilize our ener…

Hi Puys,

Howz preparation going. sorry for having VGSOM out of the discussion process till now... were having our mid sems... n u gotta believe that they were really tough... we screwed up big time and so have decided to utilize our energy for facilitating, however little we cn, u guys...

so let this be the official discussion forum for VGSOM admission queries in particular.... though we began with a slightly informal ways but would request u all to be a bit curt n responsible while posting here, don't spam...

You post any relevant queries n we'll be on our toes to answer u.. u post any irrelevant queries n we'll still ans them but with a lots of groans...

This is just done to maintain an excellent repository to facilitate hassle free search of information...

so let the quest begin:

Few links that might be useful to begin with:

-Jmet online information
-Jmet online registration
-Admission queries

Please go through them before, we'll really like to keep this thread for queries pertaining to VGSOM admissions, but would be glad to help you always..

hi .. thanks for opening up the thread ...
Please answer these few things :
1) What is the general rank that have been given call ( the range)
2) how much profile matters when they are giving call and how much is the % given to jmet rank in the final selection... i have heard that they keep seats vacant rather than filling them with other candidates ..so i can guess profile matters a lot there..
3) how much stress is on work-ex guys and the kind of work ( do they prefer guys working in core over IT ones ?)... as guys from IT industry were present in abundance there during gd-pi , how they differ their candidates from the lot
4) why vgsom apart from being such a nice infra and overall placement ( last year were better than lots of top-notch one as per release) is not provided the ranking it deserves
Please Share your opinions regarding exam and GD-PI and your normal guess that yes these are the things that Insti would in all probability would have considered in final selection..Please be subjective cuz that will help a lot to all candidates
And please have a look at my profile .... and evaluate it for VGSOM
10th-82% 12th - 76% B.E - 74% work-ex till now 24 months in MNC (IT offcourse 😃 ) and scoring round 90%iles in AIMCATS ....
And last line ... Am desperate to join this institute 😃 cuz My whole life belongs to under 300km radius of VGSOM ( sounds homesick but am not 😃 )

hi .. thanks for opening up the thread ...
Please answer these few things :
2) how much profile matters when they are giving call and how much is the % given to jmet rank in the final selection... i have heard that they keep seats vacant rather than filling them with other candidates ..so i can guess profile matters a lot there..
3) how much stress is on work-ex guys and the kind of work ( do they prefer guys working in core over IT ones ?)... as guys from IT industry were present in abundance there during gd-pi , how they differ their candidates from the lot
4) why vgsom apart from being such a nice infra and overall placement ( last year were better than lots of top-notch one as per release) is not provided the ranking it deserves

Hi rahul,

Ans: The last rank that has been given the call was around 1100-1200 for general category

2) how much profile matters when they are giving call
Ans: Profiles are given quite a weightage, it would be difficult to tell the exact %age but profiles do matter, but apart from that your GD n
PI can work for u., to tell u frankly I have an avg profile compared to which yours look nice but then had an extremely gud GD n PI... and yes the VGSOM is pretty adamant on quality of student intake and they dnt shy from keeping the seats vacant, only last yr did they released a 2nd list.

3) how much stress is on work-ex guys and the kind of work
Ans: I suppose you mean for the selection process, well IT guys are high in no during process as the general %age of engineers are high in this sector.
But the panel wants to maintain a rich mix and so people outside IT does stand a gud chance, but then if you are deserving then you can always get through... there are a high %age of IT guys in our batch.

Ans: Well that ques does deserve a bit of pondering and I would like to be as unbias as possible. Firstly the rankings and surveys does not reveal a true picture, there are many instances when personal prejudice and other factors (association wid instis, monetary benefits, advertisements, and many other things come in picture). Not only for VGSOM but I would like to advice u not to take decisions based on rankings provided by magazines atleast... take a informed decision which can best be provided by student community.
Now as far as VGSOM is concerned, till last year we were not participating with most of the surveys and hence do not have a very good relation with many of them as there has been no association, we do not offer any favours of any sort. saying that you yourself said about nice infra and placements... take your decision based on that... VGSOM is the oldest Bschool among the IITs (16 yrs), best in terms of infra, excellent faculty profile, good industry connections etc. Take a decision based on this facts.:

Hope I was able to satiate your queries and inhibitions
If you have any other query we would be always glad to help out

why vgsom apart from being such a nice infra and overall placement ( last year were better than lots of top-notch one as per release) is not provided the ranking it deserves
Please Share your opinions regarding exam and GD-PI and your normal guess that yes these are the things that Insti would in all probability would have considered in final selection..Please be subjective cuz that will help a lot to all candidates
10th-82% 12th - 76% B.E - 74% work-ex till now 24 months in MNC (IT offcourse ) and scoring round 90%iles in AIMCATS ....
And last line ... Am desperate to join this institute cuz My whole life belongs to under 300km radius of VGSOM ( sounds homesick but am not )

Rahul,

Please refer to the following link to know why IIT B Schools are ranked low....

http://www.som.iitkgp.ernet.in/images/stories/vgsomblog/comments.php?y=09&m;=09&entry;=entry090929-013847w...

why vgsom apart from being such a nice infra and overall placement ( last year were better than lots of top-notch one as per release) is not provided the ranking it deserves
10th-82% 12th - 76% B.E - 74% work-ex till now 24 months in MNC (IT offcourse ) and scoring round 90%iles in AIMCATS ....
And last line ... Am desperate to join this institute cuz My whole life belongs to under 300km radius of VGSOM ( sounds homesick but am not )

Rahul,

Please refer to the following link to know why IIT B Schools are ranked low....

http://www.som.iitkgp.ernet.in/images/stories/vgsomblog/comments.php?y=09&m;=09&entry;=entry090929-013847w...

Hi there,

You have a pretty good profile. So do not worry about that. Right now prepare well for the exam. All other things are secondary as of now. Getting a good rank and getting a call should be the top priority as of now. Weightages are assigned to your rank,GDPI score,acads,relevant workex etc. Hope this clarifies the doubts that you have.

Please find the link for last year's discussion thread on admission queries, it might be useful:
Admission Queries

First post updated with the same

VGSOM ranked 2nd among the IIT B-Schools and 12th overall....

WALL STREET JOURNAL ranks VGSOM as 12th best B-School in India and 2nd among the IIT system
check here: Poverty Levels, by State - The Wall Street Journal Online - Interactive Graphics

HI..

I have made a mistake in filling the address for my application form.

The address on the Bank challan and address in the online appliction forms are different. What can I do to rectify my mistake ?? 😞

Posted in the Wrong thread !! Sorry !!

Come on people. Keep coming with your queries.

lethalamby Says
Come on people. Keep coming with your queries.

Hi Ambuj,
I'm planning to apply to IIT-KGP under NRI category.
Could you please let me know what are the criteria for NRI admission ?
Regards,
Prabhu

Am giving JMET for the first time.
How is JMET rank postulated? does it depend on sectional cut-offs too?

Hi Ambuj,
I'm planning to apply to IIT-KGP under NRI category.
Could you please let me know what are the criteria for NRI admission ?
Regards,
Prabhu

I am not sure there is NRI quota.. Will surely let you know after I confirm the information from the administration.

CONFIRMED: No NRI quota in VGSOM
Am giving JMET for the first time.
How is JMET rank postulated? does it depend on sectional cut-offs too?

JMET Rank does not depend on sectionals.

But the following postulates do hold:
1) You need to clear all sectional cut offs
2) Your sectional marks might be considered for giving you calls.

VGSOM ranked 13th best b-school overall (govt and private) by CSR magazine 2009....

Would be posting the link soon

Do we have to fill seperate forms of all the IITs? If yes then when, before the exam or after it?

gargsaar Says
Do we have to fill seperate forms of all the IITs? If yes then when, before the exam or after it?

Yes... you've to fill separate forms for all the IITs and all after the exams... Forms may cost anywhere between 500 to 1000 rupees. Hope this clears your doubt. All the best for your preparations!!!

hi,
I have 62% in graduation , but according to our university that is rendered as second class. Now the doubt is whether the eligibility for VGSOM is 60% in graduation and first class both or either one of them alone will work fine? Please help us with some clarification regarding this.

regards
Subhadip.