US B Schools Strength and Weakness

Hello Everyone, I started this thread to compile information about the Pros and Cons of US B-schools. This will really be helpful to research B-Schools for finding our best fit. So, could you please put your views and comments? Appreciate it…

Hello Everyone,

I started this thread to compile information about the Pros and Cons of US B-schools. This will really be helpful to research B-Schools for finding our best fit. So, could you please put your views and comments? Appreciate it.

B-School: XYZ
Premier Focus: Consulting/Finance/Entrepreneurship etc
Avg GMAT for Indians : > 700 (Which i guess is always)
ROI: __(yrs)
USP or Differentiating factor: Basically, want to know what makes the school stand apart from others.

Please feel free to share any additional information.

BTW, my profile is Typical IIM, GMAT: 700, Work Ex: 4yrs, Acads: Very good, Extra-Cirricular: Was good once upon a time. Now, work in progress

Cheers!

Hello Everyone,

I started this thread to compile information about the Pros and Cons of US B-schools. This will really be helpful to research B-Schools for finding our best fit. So, could you please put your views and comments? Appreciate it.

B-School: XYZ
Premier Focus: Consulting/Finance/Entrepreneurship etc
Avg GMAT for Indians : > 700 (Which i guess is always)
ROI: __(yrs)
USP or Differentiating factor: Basically, want to know what makes the school stand apart from others.

Please feel free to share any additional information.

BTW, my profile is Typical IIM, GMAT: 700, Work Ex: 4yrs, Acads: Very good, Extra-Cirricular: Was good once upon a time. Now, work in progress

Cheers!

Hi justDeep,

Strengths and weaknesses are generally best understood when you have something else to compare it with. It might be tricky to view a school in isolation. A generic list would be difficult as profiles, expectations and motivations for each candidate differ. Let me elaborate.

One candidate's pro might be a con for another. A few examples:

- a younger applicant may be better off looking at 2 year programs as opposed to 1 year programs, as it gives him more time to experiment in school.

- RoI is also subjective depending on what career options you want to choose. Someone targetting a career change might agree for a drop in salary just to get in the new field. Another one might be targetting I-Banking where the monetory upside can be tremendous. But it's also a very tough field to break into.

So given these variations, an apple-to-apple comparison again becomes difficult.

One option to facilitate what you are trying to do is to break it up into manageable chunks:

- Define the context and the objective and then weigh the pros and cons in a relative manner.
As an example:

- 2 yrs vs 1 yr options for someone with 5 yrs work-ex,

- American vs European vs Asian schools for someone who wants to work in India (immediately after graduation)

- Top 5 vs Top 15 for someone who wants to get into management consulting.

Again, an approach like this will also have complications. But it'll be a little better than leaving it all open ended.

The best case scenario is to start off with your detailed profile and then start evaluating options that are best suited for your specific objectives. We've been doing this for quite a while on another PG thread.

Appreciate your intention, just trying to fine-tune it and give it a little focus, so we don't end up with a whole lot of subjective views that end up confusing more people than providing clarity.

Good luck.

Thanks Sameer, for your insightful perspective. I should have been more specific in my statement. Anyway, i am trying to gather information for "Why XYZ B school?" and then see which aligns to my personal goals the best. I realize there is vast and extremely useful information available here but it would have been wonderful if we could have all this info at one place like a one-stop shopping mall. Again in light of your views, i realize that it is actually a daunting task, specially since opinions can be very subjective with everyone having their own justification. I guess i will have to keep searching steadfastly. Thanks again!