Theories we love and try to understand [Part II]

We all have read so many theories in our lifetime, courtesy so many disciplines to study, such as, physics, chemistry, maths, biology, psychology, astrophysics, etc. A lot of times we are able to understand them, not understand them, mis-und…

We all have read so many theories in our lifetime, courtesy so many disciplines to study, such as, physics, chemistry, maths, biology, psychology, astrophysics, etc.

A lot of times we are able to understand them, not understand them, mis-understand them or love them coz we can relate so much to them. Why relate, coz:
1. you too have felt the same before, o my gawd! I thought I was the original thinker!
2. they amazed you just once again at the capabilities of the human mind!

In my school days, I abhorred these theorists but now I feel marveled anytime I come across one because of the above mentioned reasons.

So, this thread is open to you to share your favorite theory and do follow the below mentioned pattern to explain it.

Discipline:
Name of the theory and Publishing Date:
The Theorist:
The Real Theory: (explain as briefly as possible)
Why YOU got amazed by it:

And in case you feel lost write your own theory

What according to you is a theory anyway,
- a thought process?? :idea:
- just another gimmick by those 'oh, I am so amazing' celebrities OR
- another complication in life??

Hope to see/learn/understand many more interesting theories :grin:

Just in case, you are wondering where is the part one
Link- Theories we love and we try to understand - PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA in India and Abroad, CAT 2011, GMAT, XAT, MAT

P.S. Some part of this post has been lifted from the original thread, courtesy learninshweta ma'am

Hello pehpal,

Do you rejoice at the sound of barking but cower at a meow? Or do you look at a cat and feel an instant sibling-style connection?
This might not be very high funda thing, keeping it simple :D

Discipline: Psychology/ personality

The Theorist: Sam Gosling

The Real Theory: (explain as briefly as possible): It talks about how you can understand someone just by seeing what kind of pet they own or like. This research showed "dog people" tend to be more social and outgoing, whereas "cat people" tend to be more neurotic but "open," which means creative, philosophical, or nontraditional in this context. This theory can help you choose your pet and as it describes your personality you could also use this at various instance.
Beyond personality characteristics, people may have physical features in common with the animals they like or own.

It has also been said that exceptions are there in this case as well.

Why YOU got amazed by it: I was always told cat people are never loyal, but to my amazement its not like that. They are just introverts and open so that might be the reason its commonly said cat lovers are not loyal.

P.S. Request you all to keep posting interesting stuff This could be an amazing platform for all of us to learn a lot. πŸ˜ƒ

@cutie.pie Ah ! Didnt know about such interesting threads running round here.. :mg:
Good going. I too have few if not many, entangled theories in my mind.. Will post after I consolidate.. :P
Anyways, hope to see this thread going more interesting ! :)
@cutie.pie : Intresting thread ,will come vid my crazy logics n ideas 😁 :D
@swetad Will look forward to your theories then :P
@swetad said: Heres goes one of my favs
Discipline: Psychology
The theorist- A book: I'm OK you are OK( @cutie.pie )
The theory: The gist goes like this: sometimes you come across some incidents which trigger off varied emotions in you, maybe sadness, happiness, anger, etc etc,.It is because earlier you had experienced something related to the incident which triggered off the same response in you
why I got amazed: relates to the time in 2010 when I was going thru a very difficult phase in my life. I used to be sad most of the time. Anjaana anjaani's music was out and I used to listen to it a lot. anyways later whenevr i listen to the movie's songs i feel sad even if i was happy 5 min before. when i read the book i was amazed that this was related to the earlier period, my brain was automatically linking the songs to the earlier times....the depressive period. same is with lots of memories which trigger something in us, like the smell of baked cakes which remind us of something from our childhood....
Oh, already there. Nice :)
@swetad said:
chaar baar, same post, del karo brooklyn....
yar pg probs 😞 i didnt
Discipline: I have no idea where to categorize it :P

The Theorist : A Russian Professor, dont remember his name

Theory I : Pays to know people without they telling you.

I read this book when i was in 6th standard. A good concept this Prof had. Has helped me in many ways. Getting to the point, the logic is as follows:

Humans are gregarious in nature and thus love to interact. People also love to admired or be known, in a sense that if you know good things about them without being directly in contact it helps boost their ego. So to make a large friend circle or network of people to reply upon :

1) Learn Names of People in 1st time. Isnt easy but practice and u'll get a hang of it.

2) When talking to some one give them your full attention. This way they will tell u stuff they wouldn't tell normally ever.

3) Small things make large impacts, small gestures such as smile, kindness etc make big impact. Never forget.

4) Remember small things and details about people and they'll love you for it.

5) Don't expect favour. Always be first one to give someone favour, this gives you power over them.

6) Learn about people from your network sources, dont wait to be introduced to someone. Know them before hand.

Now we all know above most will and what's the point of above theory. I'll give my real life example:

My college had 600 students in my own year. I knew around 500 of them personally and 100 other on virtual world or Fb.

How did i do that?

Small fast explanation:

1) When I joined college obviously I knew no one. Bt after joining We were given tour on the first day. I came to interact with 2 people on that very first day. And during classes I interacted with some of my batch mates whom I though I'll feel comfortable with.

2) You hear about people from your friends. Gossips etc , take info about people from that. Keep all info with you but never let it affect your mental image about a person. Always form it after you personally meet the person in question.

3) I always wished people there birthday, even if i knew them or not and while wishing addressed them with there 1st name , even if i had to ask it around.

4) Help if u c someone in need of it. N definately you can ask for favours too later. Don't be shy to help a stranger.

This all helped me have wide network of friends. Talk to every1 from d class or office scum bag to class / office Superstar. With this wide network i never did any assignment on my own, always got a done one from sum1 or the other and passed it along.

I was always known to be person to be contacted for jugad coz i knew people who could help other. This always help u too if u actively take part in solving others prob

PS Im showing of myself just giving an example :)

Any views on it do post them , would love to hear.

@Brooklyn Good points from your wholesome experience. But it cannot be categorized under one category. What I would like to know is finally what have you concluded apart from knowing that 'it pays to know people' ? πŸ˜› :mg:
@Brooklyn Good points from your wholesome experience. But it cannot be categorized under one category. What I would like to know is finally what have you concluded apart from knowing that 'it pays to know people' ? πŸ˜› :mg:
@pari1901 said: @Brooklyn bhai..CAT mein 99.99 percentile dila do...jugaadu toh aap ho hi....
yaara mere aajte naa srsly bta rha hu ghar aake party de dunga!! aise jagah hi aaj tak nhi bane :(

@Preeti_L said:
@Brooklyn Good points from your wholesome experience. But it cannot be categorized under one category. What I would like to know is finally what have you concluded apart from knowing that 'it pays to know people' ?
wat else u wanna knw πŸ˜‰ ???
bt yes one thing i've learnt:

Guys u can predict....gals are really very tough in case of emotional situation πŸ˜‰ :D

@Brooklyn What else should I expect?! Anyways, it's fine :P
@Preeti_L : well it depends on u how u can d info.....i found my way...u can use it ur way. A famous quote i'd lyk to say :mg:

"A weapon is as good as it's wielder "

:D :D
@Brooklyn Alright, have your weird theories pouring :P
@Preeti_L : Lollla ji apni theries bhi dalo πŸ˜‰
@Brooklyn As mentioned before, mere pas bahut inter-connected theories hai jinhe consolidate and categorise karna hai.. Dont b so desperate, will post soon :mg: :P

Guys, lets not be self-proclaimed theorist/ scientist.

Also please follow the pattern :-

Discipline:
Name of the theory and Publishing Date:
The Theorist:
The Real Theory: (explain as briefly as possible)
Why YOU got amazed by it:

@cutie.pie said: Guys, lets not be self-proclaimed theorist/ scientist.
Also please follow the pattern :-
Discipline: Name of the theory and Publishing Date: The Theorist: The Real Theory: (explain as briefly as possible) Why YOU got amazed by it:
Thats fine. But what if we are oblivious as to who the theorist / theory was ?
@Preeti_L said:
Thats fine. But what if we are oblivious as to who the theorist / theory was ?
In that case, its not a problem. Please share it even if you don't rem the name of theorist.