Theories we love and we try to understand

73 Posts  ·  16 Users
About this group
We all have read so many theories in our lifetime, courtesy so many disciplines to study, such as, physics, chemistry, math, psychology etc. A lot of times we are able to understand them, not understand them, mis-understand them or love them co...
Page 1 of 8
I guess its not only about time differences....there is the space element as well.
If you can visualize (and help me visualize as well 😃 a 4 dimensional space-time graph where in three dimensions are of space and one of time u would get a better idea...

So its not necessary that if at all prallel universes exist there would be a difference in time aspect only... it can include differences in location as well.

Also if i remember correctly the theory of relativity talks about the relation between time and space...

Assume a rectangle( it should be a quad.)....where the length is the time and breadth is the space....
Assuming u and i are viewing the same incident from different points of view....the length and time would vary for u and for me...
However, the area of the time and space rectangle would remain the same....:|:)

Take For example, u are sitting on a tree top and i am sitting at the base of the same tree along a road.
Now u see a car approaching towards u from the top of the tree but i cant see it. does it mean that the car does not exist?
As the car comes nearer to the tree i start seeing the car from the base as well....and when the car passes by and out of my sight....u sitting at the treetop can still see it.
So what was past present and future for me( first i couldnt see it, then i did and then couldnt again)....is still a continuous present for u because u can STILL see the car when i cannot :...

Jeez its confusing for sure :D

But that brings me to the question whether there is any connection between parallel universes and rebirth?

This car example is interesting. You actually unknowingly mixed up two remarkable theories one that of apriori by Kant and the other more popular one of Space Time with time being the 4th dimension. I am not sure if I am acting as a spoil sport by being more factual than romantic still I fell tempted to put some information regarding both of them (Groans are welcome). The second one first
Space Time (Time as 4th Dimension): Now this happens to be one of the most widely misunderstood theories. What forms the 4th dimension is not the time we feel passing away. The Time that we feel passing away is what is known as real time. The Time that forms the 4th dimension is actually imaginary time. The concept of Imaginary and Real time is same as that of Imaginary and Real numbers. To quote Stephen Hawking:
The three directions in space, and the one direction of imaginary time, make up what is called a Euclidean space-time
This imaginary time is actually as real as Real time. The concept is though quite difficult to understand. A pretty decent definition of this can be found here
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/newton/askasci/1993/physics/PHY45.HTM
Kants apriori: Prior to Kant it was generally believed that all the kind of understanding we develop is only because of our experiences of external world. David Hume claimed that a child who is born devoid of all the five senses would develop no understanding or knowledge of anything. Kant refuted the claim and said besides the senses we have an apriori knowledge that comes independent of any experience. To illustrate this imagine a pen lying on a table. Now while you blink I turn the pen by 90 degree. What you see now and what you saw earlier were two completely different images one was long and thin the other was wide and thin. But theres something in you that tells you they both are one and the same. That is apriori knowledge. Computers dont have it thats why a finger print recognition machine requires you to place you finger in one particular orientation only. In the car example of yours both the viewers look at the same car. So even though one cannot see the car for sometime still his apriori instincts tell him that the car (or maybe the event) is the same one for both of the viewers.
On a lighter note since you happened to mention rebirth, as a kid I once asked my dad if the same souls of people who die enter new born babies the shouldnt the population of the world remain constant?
Dont ask me what he replied.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Does this mean if a guy flunks his exam in this universe, he will still be a topper in the so called parallel universe :eh: :confused:

Requesting someone to shed more light on this topic. Till now I was under an impression that parallel universe has something to do with time differences.Like you might be 55 years old here but somewhere (in a parallel universe ), you are still a 4 year old enrolling up for kindergarten classes. :tellme:

I guess its not only about time differences....there is the space element as well.
If you can visualize (and help me visualize as well 😃 a 4 dimensional space-time graph where in three dimensions are of space and one of time u would get a better idea...

So its not necessary that if at all prallel universes exist there would be a difference in time aspect only... it can include differences in location as well.

Also if i remember correctly the theory of relativity talks about the relation between time and space...

Assume a rectangle( it should be a quad.)....where the length is the time and breadth is the space....
Assuming u and i are viewing the same incident from different points of view....the length and time would vary for u and for me...
However, the area of the time and space rectangle would remain the same....:|:)

Take For example, u are sitting on a tree top and i am sitting at the base of the same tree along a road.
Now u see a car approaching towards u from the top of the tree but i cant see it. does it mean that the car does not exist?
As the car comes nearer to the tree i start seeing the car from the base as well....and when the car passes by and out of my sight....u sitting at the treetop can still see it.
So what was past present and future for me( first i couldnt see it, then i did and then couldnt again)....is still a continuous present for u because u can STILL see the car when i cannot :...

Jeez its confusing for sure :D

But that brings me to the question whether there is any connection between parallel universes and rebirth?

Ah! Parallel Universes - the stuff most sci-fi movies are made off.

So what is a parallel universe? Simply put - there always exists a set of probabilities. Each probability represents a parallel universe. And considering that each probability exists at the time of each event, it would be safe to say that the person going through that event would be of the same age in each parallel universe.However, it is very much possible that a parallel universe identity could be dead, and yet in another universe the same person could be alive.

My take - there are infinite parallel universes. And where parallel universes intersect, there are people who are born that are very identical to the other. To clarify that:

What do Gandhi, Lincoln and Kennedy have in common? All were visionaries, statesmen and assassinated. Their personalities were common maybe because parallel universes could have overlapped. So is the case with many mythological and religious deities.

The best example to explain this would be - Consider our planet. Two kids with same parents, same upbringing but small differences could change them drastically.

Parallel universes are always fun to think about. When we make decisions we imagine how that would affect us, and that in truth is thinking of us in terms of a parallel existence.

Cheers.

Parallel Universes

For example if i wereto meet with an accident and if i were to survive the accident in this world then there exists a parallel world in which the outcome would be the opposite i.e. i wouldnt.

Does this mean if a guy flunks his exam in this universe, he will still be a topper in the so called parallel universe :eh: :confused:

Requesting someone to shed more light on this topic. Till now I was under an impression that parallel universe has something to do with time differences.Like you might be 55 years old here but somewhere (in a parallel universe ), you are still a 4 year old enrolling up for kindergarten classes. :tellme:
Parallel Universes

The concept of Parallel Universe is something which i have come across recently and it has been fascinating.

The theory also described as the 'Many Worlds' theory highlights the possibilities of multiple universes co-existing simultaneously in which the entities remain the same however, the outcomes of actions and situations vary in probabilities.

For example if i wereto meet with an accident and if i were to survive the accident in this world then there exists a parallel world in which the outcome would be the opposite i.e. i wouldnt.
The theory also mentions teh fact that new universes are being created and being superimposed everytime an action takes place which has multiple outcomes.
This might also mean that our understanding of time as a linear entity categorized as past, present and future seems to lose its relevance as all events take place parallely in the same space-time graph, however at different coordinates!

The reason why i am fascinated with it is the thrill of tryin to understand if this is possible and if yes how does it affect us. :)

Will try to contribute more on it once i make sense of it :|
learninshweta Says
One of the most striking quality of a person who wishes to 'divide and rule' is that the person has malice in mind. You may want to rethink now!

I don't agree with it being necessarily 'malice' that makes us do it, atleast in theory. Although in practice i would want to :). I feel its more to do with self-ignorance. At the end of it i guess we all are good at heart.

I guess we are all pre-programmed to survive and create a niche for ourselves in our immediate environment. However, what that means is there are occassions when one feels intimidated or threatened (even if its just a 'perceived' threat) and we take steps to counter that in our own ways. So unconsciously focussing on smaller groups could be a means to do that.

What i would want to believe is that its immaterial what drives us to adopt this mindset...it could be money, want of power, social acceptance etc etc etc...the reasons can be as varied as there are people. However whats common across all these reasons is the fact that we either do this out of a perceived threat or an opportunistic gain at most times....and the lines between the two are very blurred.

Edited - I agree completely with the confidence part.
Divide and Conquer/Rule
Hypothetically - if I were in a close knit group. How would I mingle with them?

I would ensure I get into a conversations with smaller groups - two or three guys at the same time. If I werent confident - break it down into smaller groups, strike a rapport with one of them and leech onto him until I get to talk to the others. What am I doing - dividing and conquering.

It also holds true with corporations, relationships, exams, etc.

Cheers.

One of the most striking quality of a person who wishes to 'divide and rule' is that the person has malice in mind. You may want to rethink now! Also, I personally feel that it's not really the money that divides or for that matter, one cannot blame a cult or a religion - it's an individual's mindset. A mindset that makes you believe that you either are superior or inferior to the others. Now, what makes a person feels so. I guess, it's not possessing enough - 1. self-confidence, 2. respect for oneself and others, 3. integrity and 4. vision Consider the below mentioned quote by Goethe: Divide and rule, a sound motto. Unite and lead, a better one.
Very nicely put. Free will is an oxymoron. Good work and keep them coming. However, a small request - could you not post so much at one time? Makes it difficult to address and discuss each theory.

Cheers and Happy Posting.

Dood for that you need to request the mods to increase the word limit of each post. Moreover it takes a quite some time to gather all the thoughts put them in systematic and understandable form for the reader to make some sense out of it. Mind you the theories I have tried to summarise in my ealier posts are not ctrl+c Ctrl+v from some website. If you google all the references you might get some complex mathematical equations and definitions which are very difficult to comprehend at one go. hence in order to be succint and precise I broke them up into two posts. Hope you would appreciate my limitations and intentions. any of your doubts or opinions are pretty much welcome

Signing off for today

cheers
My reason for quoting it is that i found this discussion going on in some earlier posts and felt like sharing my opining on it
this statement is pretty simple. all you wills or desires are driven by external or intenal stimuli. imagine yourself in an isolated island, still you would need food to survive and for food you need to work hence your will or desire is still not free. this can be extrapolated to any extent. the only thing with a so called "free will" is perhaps a rock lying in space or maybe that even is driven by forces of gravity...hence the concept itself becomes non existent

Very nicely put. Free will is an oxymoron. Good work and keep them coming. However, a small request - could you not post so much at one time? Makes it difficult to address and discuss each theory.

Cheers and Happy Posting.
Divide and Conquer/Rule

Divide and rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I felt most of us would know all about it. Considering that it was all over the history textbooks. The British did it, religion does it, education does it, the government does it. My take on divide and rule - the moment there is some demarcation, rest assured, there is diversity created and so is a group divided.

So why do I think this is one of the theories around? Well for one, where ever there is a small iota of the existence of this theory, there is a superior chance of its working. According to the biblical texts, even God did it
Tower of Babel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So how does this theory hold true in today's world (what with the imperialistic past done with)?

Some places where division seems to act against the interests of the humans as a race:
  1. Religion - ever stopped to think how trivial the differences are?
  2. Countries - an invisible line that causes so much grief.
  3. Race - again we are not biologically inclined here are we?
  4. Language - how much problems do we have in communicating?
  5. Gender - how many crimes, grief has this caused?
  6. Education - the ignorant and the educated. One cant get through to the other.

The biggest conquerer of all? Money. Wealth. Materialism. If you look at it - every conquest,war, problems are caused by money. Money is the greatest divider of all - those who have it and those who havent. It conquers everybody and anybody.

And it holds true even on an individualistic level:

Hypothetically - if I were in a close knit group. How would I mingle with them?

I would ensure I get into a conversations with smaller groups - two or three guys at the same time. If I werent confident - break it down into smaller groups, strike a rapport with one of them and leech onto him until I get to talk to the others. What am I doing - dividing and conquering.

It also holds true with corporations, relationships, exams, etc.

Cheers.