Techie in deep Trouble! My Experience - 670 (Q47,V34,AWA5) Retest?

Hi guys, First of all let me thank all my fellow ‘pagals’ for having helped me throughout my prepration. All the notes and suggestions helped me get through my GMAT, though not in a way I would have wanted it to end :huh:. I scored 670 (Q47, …

Hi guys,

First of all let me thank all my fellow 'pagals' for having helped me throughout my prepration. All the notes and suggestions helped me get through my GMAT, though not in a way I would have wanted it to end :huh:. I scored 670 (Q47, V34, AWA5)

Something about me: a techie from a reputed engineering college (GPA 3.2-3.4 ;)), been working in software/hardware R&D; domain at an MNC for about 3 years now, and have won some decent technical accolades at work

Started my GMAT prep about 5 months back, seriously for last 2 months...completed kaplan premier edition, OG10, OG11, Manhattan SC and CR, Sumit's & Spidey's notes ;).

Gave 10 prep tests in this sequence: Kaplan (550, 560), GMATPrep (660), Powerprep (700, 710), GMATPrep(710, 720, 720, 770, 740).

After the test I feel that there is no use giving GMATPrep multiple times. You end up getting many repeats (majority of RCs are repeats, hence you are left with more time to figure out SCs and CRs, end up scoring at least 20 to 40 over your aukaat)

At the test, I felt quite good after my AWA, was going very well in Quant but was always struggling to keep up with the time, had to guess at least 5 questions at the end. Same thing happened with Verbal, lack of time. Also, I felt I was not able to apply myself properly during my verbal section, was not able to apply my strategies in SC (was selecting options on how they sounded, instead of trying to find the errors)

anyways was always hoping for around 700-730 kind of score, and even thought that I would be able to get that while giving the test, but was throughly disappointed after looking at the scores. Had a bit of an argument with the test admin after the test :argue:

I have been kind of thinking about a retest, but at the same time wondering wether scoring 700 or 710 perhaps would do me any good. I have browsed around a bit and have found that many people suggest to rather try concentrate on the Apps (essays, recos n' all) than waste couple of months on preparing for the retest. Of course, like all my brothers and their sisters out here, I am also hoping to get into either of the top 10 univs, but don't care for a scholarship.

So people what do you guys suggest, should I go in for a retest? Is it worth the effort for extra 30-40 points? how much would these extra points mean to me??

Please help a techie in distress!

PS- I am beginning to hate my job now!

Wow talk about support from fellow pagals...Thanks for all your support indeed guys:sarcasm:

I guess nobody to give any advise here after all huh??

Hi guys,

Gave 10 prep tests in this sequence: Kaplan (550, 560), GMATPrep (660), Powerprep (700, 710), GMATPrep(710, 720, 720, 770, 740).

Hi TechToMBA,
Mine is a similar kind of profile to yours and guess what my GMAT experiece was not any different. I scored a 730 in my last GMATprep, which i took only once, on the day before my actual GMAT. But i ended up scoring 630 in my actual GMAT. I have heard some PGs say that GMATprep is bankable and your final GMAT is 10-+ your last GMATprep score. I went in to the test centre with a lot of confidence and was crest fallen after seeing my score. I am taking up the GMAT on september 6th again as i feel that 630 is good for nothing.
final word from me on this to other PGs: DONT TRUST GMATprep anymore to give you an idea about your final GMAT Scores
my question : Have GMAT questions become tougher or any different off-late(I know a guy has scored 800. But still, this question is for earthly souls like me!)

Regarding advice to you, i may not be the right person. But the decision to whether to retake or not is to be taken based on your profile. Holistic approach!(i know this sounds cliched!). You have talked about stellar performances at the work place. May be this can balance for your GMAT. Why not post your detailed profile so that PG veterans can help you out in this?

BTW TechToMBA, when did you take your GMAT? i have not yet got my official score report and wondering what happened to it.

Regards

going for a retake is a personal choice. As murphy's law says, things can get worse the next time, with your boss taking you on a business trip for a week before your test date 😉

670 is not a bad score for tier-2 schools. it will be difficult for tier-1, without a convincing leadership profile.

So, if you are aiming tier-1, unless you can distinguish yourself from a MM$$ sr project manager of tcs/wipro/infy, you better get a good score.

--Cine Valley

Techtomba,

It would have gotten you a faster response had you posted your questions on this thread:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gmat-query-centre-25014954

Cheers.

Same here Dude...

I am a techie put up at Chicago for the last 2 years (& overall exp of 4 years) and I recently gave up my GMAT and received a 660 to my dismay.
Although I got a couple of 720s and 750 in my test preparation, what turned out in the reality was way below my expectation. To me it was as though dreams cracking down in the reality.:new_ukliam2:

I have decided to redo my GMAT again but I think I will wait for the next term rather than shooting up too early. With admission deadlines, I was thinking if I would stand a better chance with a decent 700+ next term.

Any advise/alternate thoughts would be welcome.

-Naren
"Winners never quit, Quitters never win"

Hi Narends,

I am also in Chicago...and planning to give GMAT is couple of monthes/weeks :;) Can you pm me you cell phone..and we can plan to study together

-SC

Same here Dude...

I am a techie put up at Chicago for the last 2 years (& overall exp of 4 years) and I recently gave up my GMAT and received a 660 to my dismay.
Although I got a couple of 720s and 750 in my test preparation, what turned out in the reality was way below my expectation. To me it was as though dreams cracking down in the reality.:new_ukliam2:

I have decided to redo my GMAT again but I think I will wait for the next term rather than shooting up too early. With admission deadlines, I was thinking if I would stand a better chance with a decent 700+ next term.

Any advise/alternate thoughts would be welcome.

-Naren
"Winners never quit, Quitters never win"

hey budd don't lose heart........I want to tell you something from an experience known to me........it is about a guy whom I know because of him becoming the epitome' of acomplishment in my city........

That guy was my senior when I was doing my engineering and the chap was academically deprived as well........later he got a job at a steel company(cashing upon our college's goodwill)..........there he worked for ~4 years and decided to write GMAT.........got a paltry score of 540 in it........applied to ISB and ISB people reverted back saying "Please get a minimum score of 600 and we'll be glad to have a candidate like you"..........

I don't know many people (in fact I don't know any) to whom ISB reverts back.........the reason he was answered back was because of his job profile........he had a job in a steel company at Manila(Philippines) where he was the in-charge of a division which was handling business worth Rs.40,000 crore.....though his score was less(compared to Ivy leagues average) but the depth and the longevity of his job made him the obvious choice.........

I want to tell you that many people never appraise the accreditations,the achievements they have and keep longing for things which they don't possess......same is the case with you.....you've experienced many cultures and the same if highlighted with subtle language and ample reasoning could shower fortunes for you........

In my opinion you're just a good essay away from a def Tier-I institute...........highlight all the things you have and tell how those things which you don't have are not affecting your efficacy and indeed you're striving hard to acquire them as well.............

In short , instead of re-writing the test I feel you should rather hone your essays and get quality reco's..........because even a perfect 800 is not a surety of the acceptance and a meagre 500 is not a stamp of denial........it is just one of the many parameters and a 670 is not low by any means........

Focus yourself and start with the essay process.........

ALL THE BEST..................

probably this issue might require a different thread, but let me give my 2 cents over here.
Although i wrote my GMAT 11 months back, i was in a similar shock in the exam. The quant was nowhere close to what i was expecting, at that time i thought it was just one unlucky day for me but i have seen quite a few people stumble and score far less than their expectations in the last one year.

My take is that they have definitely increased the difficulty levels, especially for quant. It would be great if others would point their views and confirm this hypothesis. Although i am no quant god, but in the few practice tests i had given (kaplan, gmatprep etc.) i always scored a 51/52 in quant but the real exam had questions nowhere close to the same difficulty level and i ended up scoring 40 points less than the 740 i had in mind when i entered the exam center.

techtomba: i would agree to maxster above that apps are more important although after 3 years of tech experience it would be a tad difficult to get in the ivy league at 670.. so retest won't be a bad idea.. but do not waste too much time on prep, just find out your weak areas and work on them..

@techtomba: Hi, I hope it's not too late I am replying here... ;)

I would retake the test to improve my GMAT score.
All the best.

My take is that they have definitely increased the difficulty levels, especially for quant. It would be great if others would point their views and confirm this hypothesis.

Yes GMAT quant is much difficult than people think it is.

thanks for replying guys!

but I am getting a mixed opinion here...any other comments?

Thanks!

Hi techtomba

Don't be disheartened. 670 is a nice score. If you feel that next time you could score 40-50 more than it would be great and your chance to get into best universities would be increased. Till now you have a 3 yrs exp and if you planned to retest, then decide a particular date so that by the next time you would have a exp of 4 yrs, that would be more beneficial to you. And other imp thing is that besides having a three yrs exp you should have some extra curricular activities, which would add more weight to your profile.