Role of Startups in MBA

Hi PGs, I am a Software Engineer working in Hyderabad. I am in the process of building a small startup company. It has no commercial value now. It is a portal similar to Yahoo!. I have a big plan. :: I am planning to join ISB in 2009, t…

Hi PGs,

I am a Software Engineer working in Hyderabad. I am in the process of building a small startup company. It has no commercial value now. It is a portal similar to Yahoo!. I have a big plan.

I am planning to join ISB in 2009, to learn the other side of the world. I have a bright knowledge in the technical aspects. But I want to get professional training in management side from big B-Schools, especially ISB.

Within 2009, I am sure I can attract a decent number of users to my website, even if it doesn't make a big commercial hit.

My doubt is that, will this startup play any role in my admission processes to ISB. Please throw light on this topic. I have lot more questions after this.

I have been watching this forum for a long time. But couldn't find discussions similar to this topic.

Thanks,
~Shiva.

Hi PGs,

I am a Software Engineer working in Hyderabad. I am in the process of building a small startup company. It has no commercial value now. It is a portal similar to Yahoo!. I have a big plan.

I am planning to join ISB in 2009, to learn the other side of the world. I have a bright knowledge in the technical aspects. But I want to get professional training in management side from big B-Schools, especially ISB.

Within 2009, I am sure I can attract a decent number of users to my website, even if it doesn't make a big commercial hit.

My doubt is that, will this startup play any role in my admission processes to ISB. Please throw light on this topic. I have lot more questions after this.

I have been watching this forum for a long time. But couldn't find discussions similar to this topic.

Thanks,
~Shiva.

To answer at a macro level, your startup can help in your admission process if you can convince the Interview panel that your Big Plan can be a Big Hit with the ISB degree under your arm.

Having said that, it also depends heavily on your start-up...ambition...acheivement...mission etc.... If you think its apt to divulge those details here...Please do so. That can help throw some light into this.

To answer at a macro level, your startup can help in your admission process if you can convince the Interview panel that your Big Plan can be a Big Hit with the ISB degree under your arm.

Can this startup be added to my work experience. ??:

Is there any special treatment for people like this. : I mean do they see this type of work as an added advantage.

Having said that, it also depends heavily on your start-up...ambition...acheivement...mission etc.... If you think its apt to divulge those details here...Please do so. That can help throw some light into this.

My startup is all about providing all the web services on earth at the same place.

It will have almost all sections that yahoo has. To start with I may select a new service ( probably, a service that no one has attempted ) to make my website a popular. Then I will expand its presence to all other services.

I will soon post the URL here, once it is complete. It is open to only a small community of people for now.

Thanks,
~Shiva.

Is there any special treatment for people like this. : I mean do they see this type of work as an added advantage.

My startup is all about providing all the web services on earth at the same place.

It will have almost all sections that yahoo has. To start with I may select a new service ( probably, a service that no one has attempted ) to make my website a popular. Then I will expand its presence to all other services.

I will soon post the URL here, once it is complete. It is open to only a small community of people for now.

Thanks,
~Shiva.

You can get few answers clarified pertainig to ISB here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/aiming-for-isb-25015252
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/isb-2007-interviews-and-beyond-25018296

All the best.

Thanks,
~Shiva.

Yes, you can show it as full time work ex.

Without going into the Micro level of your start-up, I can say, from my understanding of the B school admission process, that being an entrepreneur definitely gives you an advantage over other applicants. Not only for the application process, but in general I have seen ppl, who started on their own, getting very good job offers after say 1-2 years of handling a successful start-up. This happens bcoz the risk factor in running a business is always higher than that associated with being an employee and thus the higher returns in the former case.

Good luck with your ideas and dreams. 😃
Yes, you can show it as full time work ex.
Without going into the Micro level of your start-up, I can say, from my understanding of the B school admission process, that being an entrepreneur definitely gives you an advantage over other applicants. Not only for the application process, but in general I have seen ppl, who started on their own, getting very good job offers after say 1-2 years of handling a successful start-up. This happens bcoz the risk factor in running a business is always higher than that associated with being an employee and thus the higher returns in the former case.
Good luck with your ideas and dreams. 😃

Thank you very much.

I already work for a multi national software firm. But it is only 9 months since I joined. If I get an admission in ISB for 2008 Apr, during the joining time, I will have around 20 months of work experience. I would have brought up my startup to a decent position by that time. Please note that I have a decent acad in my college. Will they consider my application now or will they reject it due to less work experience :(. I have double work experience right ???

Regarding Extra-curricular, nothing much. Will this start up be considered as my extra curricular ???

My exact question is how do they look this start up as : extra curricular / Hobby / Work exp. ??:

Thanks,
~Shiva.
Thank you very much.

I already work for a multi national software firm. But it is only 9 months since I joined. If I get an admission in ISB for 2008 Apr, during the joining time, I will have around 20 months of work experience. I would have brought up my startup to a decent position by that time. Please note that I have a decent acad in my college. Will they consider my application now or will they reject it due to less work experience :(. I have double work experience right ???

Regarding Extra-curricular, nothing much. Will this start up be considered as my extra curricular ???

My exact question is how do they look this start up as : extra curricular / Hobby / Work exp. ??:

Thanks,
~Shiva.

With 20 months of work ex, you would need to show a lot of other things in order to be competitive with the more experinced candidates. If you are able to take your start up to a decent level in the coming months, it would help you on this front. Also, a high GMAT score would supplement for the relatively less work ex.

I am not sure abt that double work ex thing. You could put your start-up as something for which you are passionate about and devote a lot of time. I think it would be counted as a hobby/potential career path. ISB is one school, which specifically tries to match the post mba goals of a candidate with the opportunites that are available at the school. So, I think you would stand a good chance, if you are able to weave a story around your start up and post mba goals.
With 20 months of work ex, you would need to show a lot of other things in order to be competitive with the more experinced candidates. If you are able to take your start up to a decent level in the coming months, it would help you on this front. Also, a high GMAT score would supplement for the relatively less work ex.

I am not sure abt that double work ex thing. You could put your start-up as something for which you are passionate about and devote a lot of time. I think it would be counted as a hobby/potential career path. ISB is one school, which specifically tries to match the post mba goals of a candidate with the opportunites that are available at the school. So, I think you would stand a good chance, if you are able to weave a story around your start up and post mba goals.

:!: That was really a helpful post.

One more query is this :

Few months before I was doing free lancing. I used to complete small projects on the internet to gain some market knowledge and pocket money. But these things cannot be proved. Will this experience count. Where does this add to ??

Thanks
~Shiva.
:!: That was really a helpful post.

One more query is this :

Few months before I was doing free lancing. I used to complete small projects on the internet to gain some market knowledge and pocket money. But these things cannot be proved. Will this experience count. Where does this add to ??

Thanks
~Shiva.

Since it was not full time, it cannot be counted as work-ex. However, you can make a passing reference about these activities in your essays/interviews. This would also help you to show a bit of diversity in your profile.

Regarding Post-MBA, Which answer attracts the interviewers most ???

- Serve the community
- Start own company
- Represent the key position of some huge company

Will the panelists appreciate people opening companies directly after MBA.

The answer to such questions would be seen as the way you want to see yourself after MBA.. everyone has his/her career goals to get.. its not that one is better than the other.. i think this question is put to understand ones ambitions, if he clear abt it or not.. the reason behind it...
IT not for the heck of saying something, you select one of the given options.. all the there mentioned here has its own significance.. it just one want to see himself after an MBA..

In your case, it would create a gud impression on the panel, as you have already into it and with some ground work.. it shows how clear are you and your planning for it.. it reflects you ambitions..

And one can always serve the community while being an entrepreneur..

That was really helpful, Neo.

I spent most of my time thinking about my company. So I didn't allot much of my time for extra curriculars. Will this affect my profile.

Does any of these things count into extra curriculars :

- Free lancing
- Designing websites
- professional certifications

Some of my hobbies include :

- Collecting statistics about companies
- reading Business India, Business World,... magazines like these.

I exactly don't know what all counts into extra curriculars. Can any one please give a diverse list of categories, So that I can check whether I have participated in any one of it. This list will also serve as a reference for others.

Thanks,
~Shiva.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions, PGs .

Let this thread remain here for people who have queries similar to me.

Thanks,
~Shiva.

Hope your plan sees daylight soon! All the best