References/ Letters of Recommendations

Hi guys! Kinda new here on PG. Forums are awesome and thanks to everyone who made so much info. available all in one spot! I’m targeting around 4-5 top MBA programs in the US and may be 1 in Canada for Fall 2012 start. I have an Electrical …

Hi guys!

Kinda new here on PG. Forums are awesome and thanks to everyone who made so much info. available all in one spot!
I'm targeting around 4-5 top MBA programs in the US and may be 1 in Canada for Fall 2012 start. I have an Electrical and Mechanical Engineering background and I work in the energy sector. I'm trying to get into Consulting or Finance.
I have a question about References or Recommendations that schools ask for. All the schools that I have looked at (Stanford, Cornell, Booth, Kellogg, UCLA) seem to ask for references from current supervisor. In my case, this is not possible because my manager WILL NOT support me with my MBA plans. Moreover, he will do everything he can to get me fired if he comes to know I'm trying to get out for a full time MBA. He is one of those bosses who want to constantly feel superior to his employees. He is from a very average school and has very mediocre achievements throughout his life and basically gets threatened by anyone that is smart or has high ambitions. He is widely known in my company for his lack of people skills, bad attitude and total incompetency. The only reason he has been surviving amidst all the layoffs is because of his extraordinary ability to kiss his boss's behind, to put it midly.

I contacted these schools and explained my situation (of course, in a much more genteel manner). They're saying they understand, but are asking me to submit at least one reference from a previous supervisor.
But here's the problem with that - my previous manager (same company, but in my previous position) was a total jerk who made my life misarable. I know, this makes me sound like a loser. You're probably wondering if something is wrong with ME instead. But I swear on my life, my education, my family and everything I know, that this is completely true, 100%. My previous manager was not only incompetent, but was also basically jealous of me. He was a middle-aged white guy who hails from an extremely conservative background. He was pissed off at the fact that when so many local American employees were laid off (including his nephew who worked in the company) I got to keep my job inspite of being a foreigner. He even yelled at me once, asking me to go back to my country! The only reason why I have still have a job, despite a 40% workforce reduction, is because I have worked like a slave for the past 4 years. I have worked smart and hard and long hours. Moreover, I have forged good working relationships with my peers who have recognized my talent and have supported me.
And this is the first and only company I worked for, before which I went to school for my Master's degree. So, I don't have another former boss or employee I can select.

I feel I'm stuck! I know I have the skill, the passion and attitude to become a great MBA candidate. But not having references from current or former bosses is really holding me back.

I'm sure my situation is not that unique. There MUST be some folks out there who faced something similar. If so, how did you navigate this?

Any suggestions will greatly help!

Thanks!!!
Samir.

Hi Samir,

Welcome to the forums. Not a good idea to start new threads, if you can identify and post in an existing / related thread. Housekeeping becomes easier.

Happy to answer your query if you could post it here -->

- Sameer with a double 'e'

Well, I could not find a thread that talked about recommendation under the MBA Studies Abroad category. That's why I posted it as a separate thread. But thanks for replying. I have posted it at the thread you have directed me to. Look forward to hearing back! - Samir