Queries regarding Part Time Courses in IIMC

HI Guys I am a software Engg in Kolkata and would be completing 3 years experience by Nov 2005. I have a query regarding Parttime MBA. I always had the notion Parttime MBA is not good enough. It doesnot give you new placement. But one …

HI Guys

I am a software Engg in Kolkata and would be completing 3 years experience by Nov 2005.

I have a query regarding Parttime MBA. I always had the notion Parttime MBA is not good enough. It doesnot give you new placement. But one of my seniors told me otherwise. He himself has done PGDBM form IIMC, and he suggested that it is always better to have good part time MBA specially if it is PGDBM from IIMC.

a. You continue your experience which will 3 + 3 ( while doing PGDBM), wheras for full time courses you are a fresher as a monager.
b. You can apply the things learnt in the work environment.
c. If you want to move out of IT, and say move to Finance you can do so. after a few years.
d. You continue getting your salary , which increases by itself ..even without the MBA factor.

I want to know what others/CAT veterans feel about this idea. If this is the scenario .. What is the precentile required for getting call for PGDBM in IIMC.
Thanks
Anirban

Hi anirban_ban,

I would assume that you have a non-transferrable job since PGDBM is only for executives based in Kolkata. Getting a degree from IIMC is obviously better than not getting anything.
However, you do miss out on the college life, placements, networking etc.
Wrk-ex guys (DM/DCM) can sit for laterals which would take into account your experience..you need not start as a fresher. Many big companies do factor in the non-regular nature of part-time MBA degree while offering jobs though IIMC brand definitely helps. On the flip side, getting into IIMC thru CAT is more difficult and the opportunity cost creeps up as you gain experience.
Also, keep in mind that if you change sectors, you might not be able to leverage your work ex (mostly ppl start all over again)
Dunno about the percentiles required but as the target audience is restrictive in nature (Kol based only), I guess it should be bit easier.

HTH

Regards,
Manish

HI Guys

I am a software Engg in Kolkata and would be completing 3 years experience by Nov 2005.

I have a query regarding Parttime MBA. I always had the notion Parttime MBA is not good enough. It doesnot give you new placement. But one of my seniors told me otherwise. He himself has done PGDBM form IIMC, and he suggested that it is always better to have good part time MBA specially if it is PGDBM from IIMC.

a. You continue your experience which will 3 + 3 ( while doing PGDBM), wheras for full time courses you are a fresher as a monager.
b. You can apply the things learnt in the work environment.
c. If you want to move out of IT, and say move to Finance you can do so. after a few years.
d. You continue getting your salary , which increases by itself ..even without the MBA factor.

I want to know what others/CAT veterans feel about this idea. If this is the scenario .. What is the precentile required for getting call for PGDBM in IIMC.
Thanks
Anirban

Hii Manish

Thanks a ton .. for the prompt reply ... Yes I am into Non Transferable job, only if they dont send me onsite (out of India). But i guess that is manageable 😃 .

I do understand that if I get into regular MBA from IIMs or NITIE or SPJAIN I should go ahead and join the same. In case I do not get in through any of these top institutes I should try for the Part time one, PGDBM ? What do ya say ?

I had got 93.57 perc this time .. with not much of a preparation. Supposing that I get the same percentile next time , do i stand a chance in PGDBM? I assume that you are from IIMC , can you et me the info abt CAT perc required ?

Anirban

Dunno anything about the %ile required. It's not disclosed and also final selection depends on multiple criteria. As I didn't apply for PGDBM ..have no clue on what are the parameters, %ile required.
Look out for lateral placements stats for the BSchools to which you apply. You can also try ISB waise.

HTH,
Manish

Hii Manish

Thanks a ton .. for the prompt reply ... Yes I am into Non Transferable job, only if they dont send me onsite (out of India). But i guess that is manageable 😃 .

I do understand that if I get into regular MBA from IIMs or NITIE or SPJAIN I should go ahead and join the same. In case I do not get in through any of these top institutes I should try for the Part time one, PGDBM ? What do ya say ?

I had got 93.57 perc this time .. with not much of a preparation. Supposing that I get the same percentile next time , do i stand a chance in PGDBM? I assume that you are from IIMC , can you et me the info abt CAT perc required ?

Anirban

Hi Manish,

Is there any PDDBM course from IIMC?

as far I know IIMC provides only certification course eg. EPGBM (EXECUTIVE PROGRAM IN GLOBAL BUSINESS MANAGEMENT ).
Can you update me regarding this.

thanks

Hi All,

I am planning to join EPGBM (Executive program in Global Business Management) from IIM -C. However, I am not certain about the value of this program. I am a software engg with around 4 yr of exp. Since this is distance learning program, I m not sure of its validity and value in the market. Does anybody knows about this program and how much help it is to the students who joined this course.

Thanks in advance,
Swapnil
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-calcutta-pgpex-iii-admission-process-and-beyond-25030788

Please avoid reviving old dead threads. Continue on the above mentioned link.

All the best.