Prevent Farmer Suicide

*Please join Preventfarmersuicide Google group and soon we may have a big group to coordinate on the issue. Preventfarmersuicide a Google group for young guns of India to use their think tank and come up with a strategy to reduce the number of far…

Please join Preventfarmersuicide Google group and soon we may have a big group to coordinate on the issue. Preventfarmersuicide a Google group for young guns of India to use their think tank and come up with a strategy to reduce the number of farmer suicide in near future and finally eradicate the root of the problem.

Agenda :
1. We will form state wise groups like for AP, MP and Maharashtra and so on ,where those groups will be responsible for managing the area.
2. These groups will have discussion with farmers in remote villages about their problems, their debts and injustice done to them.
3. Any possibility of repaying the loans either by suggesting them some way out or by helping them monetarily, if possible.

As soon as we have a sufficient number of people in a particular region we will start thinking on how to proceed further in dealing with the following things:
1) How many groups in a particular region.
2) Who will lead the group in a particular region.
3) How to go ahead and implement the same.

*Suggestions and ideas required.
*volunteers may need to give time in their respective places.
*Even if we can save a single life it will be a lifetime achievement J

I may not be clear on most of the points but I need suggestions and ideas to implement the same. If you feel that it is feasible (That I know is feasible if we are together) forward it to more people and help us in forming the strong group which may really change the situation.

Got coordinators for
PUNE
HYDERABAD
LUCKNOW
Need more volunteers,
These coordinators will be responsible to form a group in their region, add more and more people to their group and finally conduct meeting once in a week or once in a month in their region.
We may face following problems:
Communication barrier: Local people like in Andhra don't know Hindi or English so u need one Telgu guy here in hyderabad.
Local authorities: they may be in our support or may oppose us so until a big group is there don't indulge in any kind of argument, avoid as far as possible. (Kisike dole shole ho to u can fight not an issue) anyways we are just going to discuss so there won't be an issue, but this is something people need to think on before joining.
*Till now everything went peacefully, no issues.
Not getting many responses 😞 but i feel the matter is really serious:

Found the info from a book :

Many small land owning farmers and farming households and weavers are descending
into poverty due to globalisation related shock and lack of perceived income earning
opportunities in relatively well performing states in India. Where households have
been able to sell assets, or borrow, or generate income from alternative employment
opportunities, the impact of such shocks may be transient. However, if the household has no assets to sell or no access to credit, or is able to borrow only at exploitative rates of interest and gets into a severe debt trap, the shocks can have long duration ramification in terms of pushing households below the poverty line. The worst
form of this crisis is suicides. The count reached 3,000 in Andhra Pradesh alone and is rising. In December 2005, the Maharashtra government admitted that over 1,000 farmers have committed suicides in the state since 2001. High production costs, low and unstable yields, decline in world prices, global glut in production
due to subsidies by the U.S.A. and other countries, and opening up of the domestic
market due to globalisation have increased the exposure of farmers and led to agrarian distress and suicides especially in the cotton belt of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra. The issue is not one of profits and higher returns but that of the livelihood and survival
of millions of small and marginal farmers who are dependent on agriculture.
Scholars cite several factors that have led farmers to commit suicides (i) the
shift from traditional farming to the farming of high yielding commercial crops without
adequate technical support combined with withdrawal of the state in the area of
agricultural extension services in providing counselling on farm technologies,
problems faced, immediate remedial steps and lack of timely advice to farmers (ii)
decline in public investment in agriculture in the last two decades (iii) low rates of
germination of seeds provided by large global firms, spurious seeds and pesticides by
private agents (iv) crop failure, pest attack and drought (v) debt at very high interest
rate of 36 per cent to 120 per cent from private money lenders (vi) cheap imports
leading to decline in pricing and profits (vii) lack of access to water for crops which
forced the farmers to borrow money at exorbitant rates of interest to sink borewells
that failed.

please share the info and call more people to think on this issue.

commendable initiative. highly praiseworthy :thumbsup:

i'm from kerala and from an agricultural family.regards our area, you have active contribution from the governmental set-up in the form of concerned agri bodies making sure that the entire procedure, right from the procurement of fertilizers to overseeing the shipment of final product through the proper channel with the farmer getting the deserved due is done systematically and legally

I dont want to paint a holistic view entailing all the farmers right from wayanad to trivandrum, but my state, to a very great extent has been blessed with predictable weather conditions and sound infrastructure (agriculture related) with the local organisations playing 'the responsible role' as and when required.

still, there are a lot of initiatives that can very well be brought to the fore along with the mooting of new proposals (limited to forum scale) which could very well be implemented on a personal scale as and when we have a healthy population catering to the abov purpose.

With this, I volunteer myself to be a part of this initiative in my state of kerala.

since there are Pg meets happening in cochin, i'm sure, lot of fellow puys, basically kerliates, as well as people who are working in cochin (and neighbouring areas), can come forward and contribute to the betterment of the same.

apart from malayalam, i'm also well versed with tamil, marathi, kannada. (in addition to hindi and hinglish)

I could thus contribute (minus personal visits) in any scheme of things or happenings which supposedly takes place in any of the above linguistic regions.

This is something which can definately go a long way with the contribution of fellow puys. The first and obvious step would be to get in substantial participation for the same.

floating ideas, schemes, implementing plans without active participation would serve little purpose. we could allocate the coming couple of months in briefing about the same to fellow puys and trying to rope in people for the same.

only if you have an effective participative population will this initiative help the aforesaid cause

regards,
sankar subramaniam

I just joined the google group. I am in delhi.....Let me know how u people are planning to proceed..I will be more than happy if I could help for this noble cause...

Ravi...

I just joined the google group. I am in delhi.....Let me know how u people are planning to proceed..I will be more than happy if I could help for this noble cause...

Ravi...

thanks a lot for the response got some hopes now that it can be a country wide initiative.

sir roy keane thanks for joining this initiative : I am happy that I got one coordinator from south india, I agree to most of your points and along with that what I have in ma maid is to give it a push for few steps so that the initiative gets a momentum and to do that very first thing we need is to get more people like you on board to think and implement their personal strategies as a group.

obviously we need to come up with a stratgy first to manage resources and time and then we shoul go ahead to imlement the same.

These are the people I think are highly potential to take forward the initiative so just assuming that they are ready to take up the charge of respetive places.

Kerala :Sir roy keane
AP :Anil Ghandham
UP : Lavina Malani
Delhi : try4it
Pune : Mohit Gupta

I hope more ideas will come from this group.

I am convincing more people : obviously ma friends and any other if I can find.

c I have a plan: just an eg . Parties like Praja rajyam will be more than happy to help us on this issue > they need popularity(politics) we need source and force both.

I think we can really make a change, please try to find more cordinators from diffrnt cities.

please let me know if someone has alternate suggestions or ideas.
bumping for more visibility.

ps - would be deleting the same in due time
bumping for more visibility.

ps - would be deleting the same in due time

I think we should try to develop a map about how r we planning to proceed...How and when are we plannin to start...once we start doing something people will follow it because we need to show people tht we have taken the initiative...so guys lets start the planning stage at least...pour in ur ideas..

I am really sorry guys,

recently joined IMT G so u can understand no time in first few months.please share your plans and what all ideas you have.

we will try to be active on this issue from now on.

ya i know its difficult to get time from busy schedule as i am in the same boat....but plaese keep in mind that we have to get some time out for this noble cause.....wat we can do is to make an agenda abt how to we want to proceed...
wat say puys...

Hey Puys,
I spoke to one of the committee in ma colg who are responsible for social service work. Will be coming up with an agenda soon.

keep posting

Regards
Mohsin.

Hey Puys,
I spoke to one of the committee in ma colg who are responsible for social service work. Will be coming up with an agenda soon.

keep posting

Regards
Mohsin.

There is no response on this thread since long..I think members of this thread have forgot it...people please contribute to this noble cause..

hey people,
great newz from ma side,
I got more people who wud be joining the process from ma college and we are planning to have some media support if possible.

people who are in MBA collgs please spread the words in your colg committee also i think that is the best possible solution and when a group is discussing bt smthn believe me it works it really works, I got very good ideas today to go ahead and how to implement this.

they are as follows :

1. Our first target is to add people to the group as many as possible.
  2. second is to have media into the picture.
  3. form the representatives in different cities as soon as possible.
with more number of hands , we can make our task much easier.

please come up with more Ideas and suggestions.

people whenever you get free time just copy paste the below content in any of the pagalguy active link or to any social networking website:

Just need to copy paste, this will increase the awareness about our discussion.

COPY FROM HERE : change the content if you feel like doin it

"
but just want to share somethin with all of you.

Need some help, some suggestions and some pointers to carry forward a small initiative we took.

When we started we did not know that people will be so willing to join us because it was a tuff job but they did.

Please go to this link and check if you are interested in joining us in this initiative.

Rest of the discussion on the below given thread, please post your queries and suggestions there only.

http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/chit-c...r-suicide.html (Prevent Farmer Suicide) "

i have joined the group just nw...myself from west bengal 😃

hey people,
great newz from ma side,
I got more people who wud be joining the process from ma college and we are planning to have some media support if possible.

people who are in MBA collgs please spread the words in your colg committee also i think that is the best possible solution and when a group is discussing bt smthn believe me it works it really works, I got very good ideas today to go ahead and how to implement this.

they are as follows :
  1. Our first target is to add people to the group as many as possible.
  2. second is to have media into the picture.
  3. form the representatives in different cities as soon as possible.
with more number of hands , we can make our task much easier.

please come up with more Ideas and suggestions.

It's a gud idea to spread the word in inividual colleges....Will do the same in my college...I think it will definitely help...

Hey People,
it wont work this way, We need to quickly launch a publicity stratgy for this, I am posting it to all the active PG links and all social networks.

C i will be able to reach only my area of influence there also some people will give positve response and some wont join so please gear up and all of us need to bring in people for the group from all possible direction.

please let me know If someone have any other plans in mind.

regards
mohsin

Initial Attempt should be started with
: Publicity
: Gathering pool of people.
: Catching All the Social committees of different colleges.

Hi All,
I am Lavina Malani from IIM Lucknow.
I volunteer to be a co-ordinator from Lucknow region.
As suggested by Mohsin, we need to target Social groups of
different colleges and institutes, I think let us first concentrate
on building up a plan of action so that we can approach these social groups with a proposal.
These groups will also help us achieve the first two objectives mentioned by Mohsin.