MY GMAT Story 710(QA 49, VA 38) :)

MY GMAT STORY- The Saga (Highly compressed version). I am just another average guy from the neighborhood who managed to chance his arm on the GMAT. Luckily, for me, my chance paid off. I got a 710. My GMAT story is in many ways simila…

MY GMAT STORY- The Saga (Highly compressed version).

I am just another average guy from the neighborhood who managed to chance his arm on the GMAT. Luckily, for me, my chance paid off. I got a 710.

My GMAT story is in many ways similar to the thousands others, yet in some ways, it's different. I sincerely hope I am linguistically and literatuerally sound enough to compel you to read right till the end of this long post(obviously, skipping nothing in between!!)

To cut a long story short, I began my GMAT preparations in early July when I had somehow, got a transfer back to my native city(read Bombay) from Chennai. My elder sister drilled the idea of giving GMAT into my head and I, like the quintessential younger brother I am, refused to do so, i.e at the onset. Later on, I realized the need to give this exam and how it would translate me to whole different higher level, professionally and yes, personally as well(Personally how you may ask, read on).

I started my preparations in full earnest, devoting atleast 120 minutes of preparations everyday; no matter how late I came from office. Results started showing and by early August I was well on course, having finsished OG's, Manhattan Quants and a lot of questions on PG's threads. That's when everything changed.

There's this guy in Andheri in a building on Sahar Road. I had researched through net about his classes and decided to pay him a visit. He had marketed on his website that he would "propel your future" by ensuring you a 740+ score in GMAT. I was too blinded by this elusive number to think about the mechanics behind how he'd help me obtain that score. I simply trusted that he will. And sooner than I thought, I was poorer by 30k, an amount, which made this guy richer by an equal amount.(Statements like these call for inference based question in GMAT). When I joined his classes, I got the biggest shock of my life. All he did with me was call me on weekends to his class, scribble a couple of formulae on a particular topic and then ask me to do everything on my own. "SOLVE OG, then solve Manhattan, then do Quantitative Aptitude R.S Agrawal(Yes! You read it right), do this, do that, etc etc etc." For Verbal, he simply gave me 3 RC passages Xeroxed from OG and Manhattan and for CR, I did it all on my own. SC rules class did not last for more than a page long of notes. My every class never lasted for more than 20 minutes.(My commute time was three times that value).This was a thing which not just me, but everyone else who went to him experienced. And the guy proclaimed to teach everything, GRE, GMAT, CAT, PAT, BAT,etc. everything under the sun. Each for the exact amount of 30k. This continued for approximately two and the half months. During that time, I had neglected my own self preparation. I had forgotten every bit I had done on my own. I relied too much on him; I trusted him too much. And invariably, I let myself fall apart in the process, get frustrated and tear myself apart from the inside.(Don't ask why I did this to me, I myself don't know). Somehow, I got my act together and let this guy know what exactly I felt about him(and it was lot of stuff !!) I also took the full refund from him. Somewhere in mid October, I restarted from scratch. At the start it was all messed up. I was too irritated, too helpless to do anything. But I had one thing and I still have it. Faith. That's all I have. And I kept it all through. Even when I felt like giving up, I knew I could not. There was too much at stake for me. The journey had become harder than a normal one anyone takes but I knew I had to hang in there. It had become more of a personal thing for me now. Slowly, gradually, things began to fall in place and my confidence began to resurface. I had my ups and downs but eventually, the Lord let me have the last laugh. A 710 score is all that I could have ever asked for. I thokofyed a lot in AWA and expect a decent score there too. Overall, I am a super happy bloke now. But before I conclude any further, I would like to express my sincerest of thanks to the entire PagalGuy team. Whenever I needed inspiration, you guys were there. The questions, the discussions, the camaraderie feeling that PG airs feels like home. No bias intended but my most special thanks to [email protected] , deepakram, nuttyvarun, siddarth and amar sinha. You guys gave me my bread and butter for GMAT. Apart from the PG team, I'd also like to thank to my sister, parents, my two most special friends who put through with a beautiful smile all the nonsense I threw at them, even at 3AM in the night. It truly feels great to be in the 700+ club and my success is attributed to a lot of people, including you, who's reading this right now. Now I have two more goals to finish before I set off for my Masters in Management Programme(Yes you read it right again, I am not going for my MBA now) in next year:

1. Finish my novel by December end and release it by late Jan next year.
  2. Master my Guitar as much as I can.

P.S: I'll post the strategy I used for my study plan and everything else relevant very soon. Do bear with me. :)

Once again, thanks for reading till here and thanks everyone for helping me get my 710.

Take care.

By the way, did I tell you I quit my job somewhere in the middle of all this?

Hey ,
Kudos for such a great score. 😁 😁 πŸ˜‰ :clap::cheers:

I am just another average guy from the neighborhood who managed to chance his arm on the GMAT. Luckily, for me, my chance paid off. I got a 710.

P.S: Ill post the strategy I used for my study plan and everything else relevant very soon. Do bear with me. :)

Once again, thanks for reading till here and thanks everyone for helping me get my 710.

Take care.

Congrats !!! :D
eager to hear study plan , books followed , G-day experience , mock scores etc...

MY GMAT STORY -the reference material and the strategy.

PART OH YEN EEE(ONE)

"Quality over Quantity" I don't who said this. But whosever said this must be either one of the most super duper brainy people in this world or one of the most super duper lazy ones (Please check for parallelism errors, if any).
I am neither the former nor the latter, though I do incline a bit towards the latter possibility. It was one of the biggest mis conception held by a some few, who in turn blindsize gullible people like me into believing it. Let me put this straight, Quality over Quantity is really not a strong premise to hold when it comes to GMAT study preparations. Accepted, that it is indeed the "Quality questions" that will decide the difference between a 680 and a 720, but what good are these "Quality questions" if you have not practiced them in a sufficient enough quantity. Quality and Quantity, in my humble opinion, go hand in hand.

Directing yourself to the right study material is the key in GMAT. There's so much information available that we tend be clueless of where to begin from. Some say refer ABC, some say do XYZ, it's the bible, others direct you to some website, saying you can get zillions of questions to practice there while some others say, follow what your heart tells you to. "If only it was that easy", we sigh. I, too was no exception. When I restarted, I was under terrible pressure and I had no other way out but to start all over again. This lead me to a thousand places and into unknown un ventured territories. Finally, after more than 7 days of exploration, I finally settled myself down and zeroed in on the things I was gonna refer. The list is as follows"

1.Pagalguy
2.OG
3.Manhattan's
4.Kaplan(I dropped the idea later)
5.Google search box.
Did I say Pagalguy?

1.OG: It's the first thing to be touched. OG has questions in a style similar to the actual questions. The level in OG though, is a bit on the lower side. But still, it was an important book to start with. It establishes a solid foundation on which the rest of the preparation is based.

I now breakdown the books and material referred as per the particular sub topic:

1.Quantitative: It is imperative that after you have done your OG, you write down all the formulas on something and memorise them. I know this sounds silly, because the formulas tested on GMAT are quite ordinary, but nonetheless, this is an important ritual. You can refer to Quantitative Aptitude by R.S Agrawal and CAT Quant Book by Arun Sharma for this. Over time you may realize that all the formulas in the list are not required, but over preparation never killed anybody, did it? If you are someone, who has been pretty much out of touch from all the maths stuff, I'd strongly recommend you to buy the various Manhattan Quant books. Even if you are someone who has difficulty in a particular topic, say Geometry, you can buy only that as well. Their Word Translations, Equations & Inequations books are very nice. If you are someone who has a lot of money, doesn't belong to the above two categories of people and doesn't know where to put it in, buying Manhattans would be sound investment.

The GMAT forum on Pagalguy is one of the best. The doubts asked are generally 700+ ones and this helps a lot. Some may argue that Kaplan also has good number of difficult questions. Maybe, but I never felt the need.

Make it a point to classify the various question types in OG into a particular sub genre. In case you are wondering, you can classify them as Numbers Questions, Percentages & Fractions, Plug-in Answer types, Geometry, Equations and Inequations and anything else you can think of. I can't tell you how important this is but if you take the pains to do this, you'll understand the value of what I am saying. (By the way, I didn't do this and that made the difference between a 740+ and a 710 that I have now).

Lastly, if there is some query of yours that has not been answered, copy paste the entire question in the Google search box. It is quite likely, someone must have already answered it in some part of the world. (The world indeed is a small place).

2.Sentence Correction: Manhattan. Look no further. The book eulogizes everything step by step and this helps you comprehend the rules very nicely. SC is all about rules, rules, rules and certain exceptions to these rules. However, simply reading through Manhattan would be ridiculous. Unless you are super brainy, you really cannot risk to memorize them through plain simple reading. SC, though straightforward section, its learning process is a bit tedious. Once the rules are set firmly in your mind, you can assure yourself of a field day almost everytime you see a SC question. Also, 1000 SC's is something you just cannot afford to miss.

MY GMAT STORY -the reference material and the strategy

PART BEY(TWO)

3.Reading Comprehensions: For this OG is a good source. Don't waste time and money buying a book specially for RC. You can always search RC passages up on the net or use 1000RC's. There are only a few short hand strategies to remember in RC's and I list them as below:

a.Read one line at a time.
b.For each paragraph, write a summary. (No matter how easy or difficult the passage is, stick to this!)
c.Look out for words that hint that something big's coming up. Words like BUT, THOUGH, HOWEVER, THEREFORE, AS A RESULT, IN SPITE OF, MAYBE, among some others fall in this list. They are called structure words.
d.If it is a long passage consisting of 4-5 paragraphs, the 1st para is important.
e.Avoid extreme answer choices if possible.

If you still wish to buy a book, buy Manhattan RC.

4.Critical Reasoning: Unlike the common misconception, Critical Reasoning can be completely defined using a specific set of rules. Though they seem like so, they are not some yaa wah wah questions from out of this world. To get a firm grip on Critical Reasoning, the best book to refer is Powerscore CR Bible. It is, in my humble opinion, the best book available on the market for CR. Manhattan is also a good book, but it complicates things a lot and then falls short somewhere in the middle. Though I started and much of the time was preparing from Manhattan, when I managed to lay my hands upon Powerscore, I realized what I had missed. Also, 1000 CR is something you cannot afford to miss.

5.Data Sufficiency: At the start of my preparations, I dreaded DS. The very mention sent shivers down my spine. (Yes, no exaggeration). I used to pray that somehow, on D-Day, I get no DS questions and yet bag a great score. Sadly for me, I was hoping against hope. Over time, however, my fears subsided and I got a hang of what was happening in the puddle of DS. I employed the strategy of looking at the 2nd statement given first. This way, I held no bias when I saw the 1st statement and this strategy helped me a lot. For DS, Inequations, John's income and commission, some of them are Democrats, Store increased price by x% type of questions are very important. You can expect all of these to come on D day. So let them not haunt you. For DS, if I can sum up my preparation in one word, it would be, Practice.

Manhattan Online Test(MOT): If you are super brainy, perhaps you won't need any of the above stuff. You can only do MOTs and ensure youself a 700+. They are the best tests that I have come across. Level is tougher than original but in line with the original and hence, are the best tests to practice. Do give GMAT preps after you've done your MOTs. For MOTs, never forget to do the analysis they give you. It gives solid explanations and points out where exactly you are going wrong. Apart from these two, 800 score also has mocks comparable to MOTs. Apart from these three, don't bother to look elsewhere. (Chuck Kaplan out of the window rightaway, if you can). One thing I'd like to add is that when giving the tests, NEVER, I say NEVER skip the AWA section. AWA works good for your critical reasoning ability and at the same time, simulates your conditions in the real GMAT. Skipping it for a later day is not a wise option. Even if you are unable to write much at the onset, it's cool. This is one rule I learnt from my Guitar playing, if you practice something for a long enough period of time, you eventually get good at it. This rule pretty much holds true for everything we do.

Last but not the least, Planning. The level of questions in GMAT is really not that scary but planning is the key. Plan as per your strengths and weaknesses as to what modus operandi suits you. For me, maths and verbal are both decently strong areas. I knew silly mistakes were going to screw my case up and deny me that elusive 51 in Quant. I always knew I had to settle for 49. Verbal i.e English has always been my main stay since school days. I almost always scored 40+ in Verbal in all my mocks (Don't ask me my mock scores, I don't remember.) So getting a 38 was a bit of a shocker for me. I relied heavily on my Verbal Ability to get me over that elusive 740. But that's ok now. I hope to offset the slightly lowered score via some other means. You may be anywhere in your road of preparation, but planning is the key. Incessantly Plan. That's all I can say. It will get you the score, or even more, that you aim for!

P.S: There are a few other websites and forums on the net where you research for some stuff to solve. Though they fall short of the manner in which PG has organized its stuff, they are good sites nonetheless. It would be a good idea to search them up too.

Hi,
Kudos for nailing Gmat, whats your target schools and profile buddy?

Profile: B.Tech (I.T) Bombay
GPA 6.8
Experience: 1 year 1 day(Now jobless... by choice)
Aiming for a Msc Management course.(I have too little an experience to go for an MBA)
Target schools: Researching on that :)
Apart from these, nothing much to speak about πŸ˜ƒ

Nice score dude...:
i read ur article (n wil be in my bookmark for next 6months.. :))
serisously ( i found myself )i went thru it n i find way to study ...
thanks buddy...

:w00t:
About me : BE(IT) pune
1.4 year exp
@me==>
[email protected]
eng=OK
i am planning to giv GMAT in june 2010.
just started with quant part(OG).
can u tel how to schedule myself for quant,DS,SC etc..(in terms of months)?

your guidance is highly appreciated (needed :oops:)

Hey,,,,congrats man.....superb post....for Msc what and all options you are looking for and available?

Congratulations for the wonderful score and many thanks for the update. I too have bookmarked your posts and your friends too πŸ˜ƒ

My GMAT story is in many ways similar to the thousands others, yet in some ways, it's different. I sincerely hope I am linguistically and literatuerally sound enough to compel you to read right till the end of this long post(obviously, skipping nothing in between!!)

To cut a long story short, I began my GMAT preparations in early July when I had somehow, got a transfer back to my native city(read Bombay) from Chennai. My elder sister drilled the idea of giving GMAT into my head and I, like the quintessential younger brother I am, refused to do so, i.e at the onset. Later on, I realized the need to give this exam and how it would translate me to whole different higher level, professionally and yes, personally as well(Personally how you may ask, read on).

I started my preparations in full earnest, devoting atleast 120 minutes of preparations everyday; no matter how late I came from office. Results started showing and by early August I was well on course, having finsished OG's, Manhattan Quants and a lot of questions on PG's threads. That's when everything changed.

There's this guy in Andheri in a building on Sahar Road. I had researched through net about his classes and decided to pay him a visit. He had marketed on his website that he would "propel your future" by ensuring you a 740+ score in GMAT. I was too blinded by this elusive number to think about the mechanics behind how he'd help me obtain that score. I simply trusted that he will. And sooner than I thought, I was poorer by 30k, an amount, which made this guy richer by an equal amount.(Statements like these call for inference based question in GMAT). When I joined his classes, I got the biggest shock of my life. All he did with me was call me on weekends to his class, scribble a couple of formulae on a particular topic and then ask me to do everything on my own. "SOLVE OG, then solve Manhattan, then do Quantitative Aptitude R.S Agrawal(Yes! You read it right), do this, do that, etc etc etc." For Verbal, he simply gave me 3 RC passages Xeroxed from OG and Manhattan and for CR, I did it all on my own. SC rules class did not last for more than a page long of notes. My every class never lasted for more than 20 minutes.(My commute time was three times that value).This was a thing which not just me, but everyone else who went to him experienced. And the guy proclaimed to teach everything, GRE, GMAT, CAT, PAT, BAT,etc. everything under the sun. Each for the exact amount of 30k. This continued for approximately two and the half months. During that time, I had neglected my own self preparation. I had forgotten every bit I had done on my own. I relied too much on him; I trusted him too much. And invariably, I let myself fall apart in the process, get frustrated and tear myself apart from the inside.(Don't ask why I did this to me, I myself don't know). Somehow, I got my act together and let this guy know what exactly I felt about him(and it was lot of stuff !!) I also took the full refund from him. Somewhere in mid October, I restarted from scratch. At the start it was all messed up. I was too irritated, too helpless to do anything. But I had one thing and I still have it. Faith. That's all I have. And I kept it all through. Even when I felt like giving up, I knew I could not. There was too much at stake for me. The journey had become harder than a normal one anyone takes but I knew I had to hang in there. It had become more of a personal thing for me now. Slowly, gradually, things began to fall in place and my confidence began to resurface. I had my ups and downs but eventually, the Lord let me have the last laugh. A 710 score is all that I could have ever asked for. I thokofyed a lot in AWA and expect a decent score there too. Overall, I am a super happy bloke now. But before I conclude any further, I would like to express my sincerest of thanks to the entire PagalGuy team. Whenever I needed inspiration, you guys were there. The questions, the discussions, the camaraderie feeling that PG airs feels like home. No bias intended but my most special thanks to [email protected] , deepakram, nuttyvarun, siddarth and amar sinha. You guys gave me my bread and butter for GMAT. Apart from the PG team, I'd also like to thank to my sister, parents, my two most special friends who put through with a beautiful smile all the nonsense I threw at them, even at 3AM in the night. It truly feels great to be in the 700+ club and my success is attributed to a lot of people, including you, who's reading this right now. Now I have two more goals to finish before I set off for my Masters in Management Programme(Yes you read it right again, I am not going for my MBA now) in next year:

1. Finish my novel by December end and release it by late Jan next year.
  2. Master my Guitar as much as I can.

P.S: I'll post the strategy I used for my study plan and everything else relevant very soon. Do bear with me. :)

Take care.

Congrats for ur GMAt score πŸ˜ƒ

But i want to bring to ur notice that i am also a victim of "Future Propel" and still solving R.S. Agrawal... and he has cheated me with 30,000/- .. i am still his student.. i really wish if i could have read your post earlier ...
I found two more victim of him ... one is "gmathunter" and other one is "mjeegar"...
Please go to this link to read their story ...
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gmat-classes-in-mumbai-25047661
We want to know that how u have taken ur money back ... wht shd we do to take our money back .... Now his class is shifted to "powai plaza, Powai "...
Please help me prepare for GMAT... ur debrief was very inspiring ...
Now i will start on my own ...

Hi there,

Same is my story..
I asked this guys for a refund , but his assistant who was always very goody goody with me suddenly started arguing and told me in clear words that i shall NOT GET ANY REFUND.
I would suggest that we get together and get our hard earned money back !
Pl pour in ur suggestions.
@gradpostgrad23 - Pl advise as to how we can go abt getting our money back.

Hi there,

Same is my story..
I asked this guys for a refund , but his assistant who was always very goody goody with me suddenly started arguing and told me in clear words that i shall NOT GET ANY REFUND.
I would suggest that we get together and get our hard earned money back !
Pl pour in ur suggestions.
@gradpostgrad23 - Pl advise as to how we can go abt getting our money back.

Why dont you all who got cheated unite together and lodge an FIR against that culprit? First warn him to return the money, and if not lodge an FIR against him. Police will take care of the things after that.

Good luck.

Hey guys,

To get the refund, talk straight to him, Raise your voices and let him know how badly he has shaken you and made your preparations go in a turnmoil. When I did that, I was alone. I'd suggest you guys make a total hue and cry about it. Go together and stand in front of him and make him accountable for what he has done(or not done). Don't feel sad, bad, or scared about anything. People are like vipers. They look for the slightest hint of weakness and strike back vehemently. Make sure you scare him, but in a very diplomatic manner. Just let him know how you've felt all through and tell him what you want. Don't bother about what he wants. I think if you do this, you'll scale. Make me proud !! πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

And if he still doesn't listen(which is quite unlikely), as scintilla has suggested, call the police. πŸ˜ƒ I think atleast somebody out of you all will be having such contacts. πŸ˜‰

hi vicky007, u hav a long time 2 go. take it aaram say. I hope wht I have written for my plan is sufficient. if it is not, do lemme know. πŸ˜‰ take care. merry Christmas. πŸ˜ƒ

Hi grad post grad.

Your story is an exact replica of what I have undergone. I had tears in my eyes when I read the part wherein you quit your job because that i exactly what I am going to do.

I gave my GMAT and scored a miserable 540 after almost 6 months of preparations. My preparations have been marred by the worst of consequences - A tyrant of a boss, horrible working hours, family problems, you name it I have it. I had given up on the GMAT and had planned to start studying for the local CETs before I ran in through your post.

I will have a planned course of attack this time. I will nail the damned exam. I will keep your posted on the day I kill the GMAT.