MIT sloan@fall 2011

Hi Puys, sorry i dint find any thread for 2011 so creating this. if there is a thread already about this, moderators please delete this. i have lot of questions in mind about MIT. they did not mention that they need work experience. do …

Hi Puys,
sorry i dint find any thread for 2011 so creating this. if there is a thread already about this, moderators please delete this.

i have lot of questions in mind about MIT.
they did not mention that they need work experience.
do you people think i can get admission without experience?

my profile:
i completed my B.Tech(CSE) in 2010.
UG-63%
+2-76%
X-77%

established literary club in my college and worked as its president
also president of our department club FACT n organised national event.
have good extra curricular activities.
i am confident that i ll be able to score good GMAT score. giving my gmat on 22 nov.

what do you think are my chances?? i may sound over ambitious by looking at my acads. but i dint concentrate on acads at those stages. i know i am capable so please help me. do i have any chances to get into one of the best B-schools through GMAT?
thanks in advance

I totally get your mindset when you posted this thread, but at the risk of sounding condescending, please please please don't open new threads for profile evaluation.:(
I try not to act bossy... but navigation into a new thread and realizing that it is a profile evaluation thread is especially frustrating on a slow internet connection. Hence this comment. Sorry.

Your questions will be better answered by some awesome level headed dudes here -> http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/phoren-b-school-assistance-desk-25014956
So try it out.

Sloan is a very very long shot for you. But hey, incredible stuff happens all the time.

All the best!

Oh I finally found this thread, any fellow puys from India applying to Sloan for Fall 2011?

Any seniors, current students here for advice?

What kind of advise are you looking for ? the more specific you get, better are your chances of extracting info :)

- current Sloanie...

What kind of advise are you looking for ? the more specific you get, better are your chances of extracting info :)

- current Sloanie...

Sure sir. I am looking for some advice on MIT Sloan loan schemes for international students and specifically if international students are able to avail loans without US Co-signers. Kindly guide me on this.

Co-signers may be a requirement for some loans (obviously non-federal), but some waive this requirement if you are willing to accept jacked up interest rates. All Sloan students are eligible for MIT FCU (credit union) loans - incl. international students. Google MIT FCU to know more.

Hi,
Anyone with a MIT Sloan R1 interview invite?

Hi,
Anyone with a MIT Sloan R1 interview invite?

I have the same question, no whiff of news from MIT!! 😞

Hi E52...,
I am a Fal 2011 applicant in R1. Have not heard anything from MIT Sloan so far. Could you please let me know as to when the invites for interview are expected?

E52-126 Says
Co-signers may be a requirement for some loans (obviously non-federal), but some waive this requirement if you are willing to accept jacked up interest rates. All Sloan students are eligible for MIT FCU (credit union) loans - incl. international students. Google MIT FCU to know more.

Hi E52.. i am applying for MIT LGO. Ruching to finish my app as deadline is 15th dec.
i am in automobile industry for 4 yrs. mech engg. graduate.
I wish to specialize in supply chain/manufacturing. I choosing enginnering systems as engg discipline for MIT. or should I choose mech. engg.

What are the chances of international applciants(specially indians) for LGO program. I have heard its very less.
secondly, is there too much competition for engineering systems discipline. would I be in relatively comfort zone if i apply thru mechanical engg

hi puys..

those of u have applied for R1.. have u uploaded only undergraduate degree details or in addition u uploaded 10th n 12th as well. I am not able to find place for this. since column for other applications is meant for additional bachelor's degrees.
pl help at the earliest as my deadline for LGO program is approaching-15th dec (need to use same app form for this)

Engg. Systems is certainly a good choice, you will certainly learn a lot of multi-disciplinary stuff in ESD than in Mechanical... in my opinion! Haven't taken either, but that's what I hear.

I don't think the ESD competition angle has any steam. You should worry more about the Sloan admissions, with their clear bias for consultancy type IIT'ians or international leadership experience ! 80-85 percent of regular MBA's at Sloan fit in this criteria! May not be true for LGO's though. Sloan MBA cares more for what's written in your essays and whether you come from celebrity institutions (school and work) than your presence, communication and style in person. That is one reason they rely on eliminating a huge chunk of applications in the essay writing competition - a.k.a written application, than interviewing a large percentage!

In the current class of LGO (class of '12), there are no desi students - I mean directly from India - There are about 2-3 who are desis, but who either did their bachelors here or were born here. That said there are a few internationals with you range of experience or lower...

LGO is a damn good program if you want to go into operations! Two degrees, an MBA thrown in! 6 months guaranteed internship with big companies, lesser fees... all of that at MIT! - all in all a great package!

mariner,

:) All I can say is find the email/phone of one "Cowperthwaite" in the MIT directory and check with him ! He is one of the cronies at Rod Garcia's MBA admissions fiefdom!

I would characterize international leadership experience for desis as that gained outside of India. About hardly 10-15 percent desis would be those who would not fit in that criteria. Speaking of the last three classes most - 80% are IIT'ans. McKinsey, well - hardly any desi with McK experience prior to MBA.

Depends on what you term as IT - but yes there are a very few...

There are non-engg types certainly...

Women from India - there were two - last class (those who did their grad school here in the US and had 8+ years of experience, one IIT'ian and the other had patents) and this class, there is I believe, only one desi woman - IIT'ian with international experience in Financial industry. Clearly women have a higher chance of getting in - all other things equal - due to efforts to increase gender ratio.

All in all there are verryy few desi's 10-15 range in the past 2-3 classes that I have seen in the regular 2 year MBA class of about 350 students. i.e only about 4-5% ! Ridiculously low - talk about diversity :)

Bottom line - admission in Sloan with a 8-9% acceptance rate (2010) is a big gamble!

I would characterize international leadership experience for desis as that gained outside of India. About hardly 10-15 percent desis would be those who would not fit in that criteria. Speaking of the last three classes most - 80% are IIT'ans. McKinsey, well - hardly any desi with McK experience prior to MBA.

Depends on what you term as IT - but yes there are a very few...

There are non-engg types certainly...

Women from India - there were two - last class (those who did their grad school here in the US and had 8+ years of experience, one IIT'ian and the other had patents) and this class, there is I believe, only one desi woman - IIT'ian with international experience in Financial industry. Clearly women have a higher chance of getting in - all other things equal - due to efforts to increase gender ratio.

All in all there are verryy few desi's 10-15 range in the past 2-3 classes that I have seen in the regular 2 year MBA class of about 350 students. i.e only about 4-5% ! Ridiculously low - talk about diversity :)

Bottom line - admission in Sloan with a 8-9% acceptance rate (2010) is a big gamble!

Thanks E52! Could you let us know when Indian applicants can expect an invite from Sloan? I read on GC that most invites flow in late Dec, early Jan for Indian applicants. Is that true?

Cheers!

Hi all,
Just got a reply from Kim AC at MIT Admissions:
"We will be rolling out invites on a ongoing basis up until the deadline of January 31.
Regards,
Kim"

Just spoke with the MIT adcom today
The lady said that MIT will be rolling out interview invites over the next two weeks.
So we can look forward to hearing from them soon or else knowing we wont probably make it 😃

Dinged at MIT