MBA at 34 years?

Hi, I am 33 years old from Mumbai, India. I have work experience of 9 years. I am currently working in our family owned business of Pharmaceuticals/Healthcare Industry in the position of Director (Operations). I have an MBA in Finance from …

Hi,
I am 33 years old from Mumbai, India. I have work experience of 9 years. I am currently working in our family owned business of Pharmaceuticals/Healthcare Industry in the position of Director (Operations).

I have an MBA in Finance from University of Chennai, India (year 199.

I want to shift careers to IT industry and am thinking of doing an MBA from either USA or Europe.

Since I will be applying for the Fall 2010 session, I will be 34 years of age at that time.

Really confused as to which MBA I should apply for. Most of the Top 20 MBA programs have an average age of 28 years.

Since I will be 34 years at the time of admission, I think I will be too old for the regular MBA classes?

I think an EMBA is suitable, but then again, EMBA's are for executives who continue working while attending weekend classes. Since I am based in India and wish to study abroad, I will not be able to work.
After completing the MBA I wish to work in the IT industry for a few years, before embarking on an entrepreneur venture.

Which MBA should I pursue and what is scope of employment?

Any advice is welcome

(p.s- Planning to take GMAT in Aug 09.)

Thanks.
Regards,

Hi,
I am 33 years old from Mumbai, India. I have work experience of 9 years. I am currently working in our family owned business of Pharmaceuticals/Healthcare Industry in the position of Director (Operations).

I have an MBA in Finance from University of Chennai, India (year 199.

I want to shift careers to IT industry and am thinking of doing an MBA from either USA or Europe.

Since I will be applying for the Fall 2010 session, I will be 34 years of age at that time.

Really confused as to which MBA I should apply for. Most of the Top 20 MBA programs have an average age of 28 years.

Since I will be 34 years at the time of admission, I think I will be too old for the regular MBA classes?

I think an EMBA is suitable, but then again, EMBA's are for executives who continue working while attending weekend classes. Since I am based in India and wish to study abroad, I will not be able to work.
After completing the MBA I wish to work in the IT industry for a few years, before embarking on an entrepreneur venture.

Which MBA should I pursue and what is scope of employment?

Any advice is welcome

(p.s- Planning to take GMAT in Aug 09.)

Thanks.
Regards,

I think you are not happy with your job.If you are happy then why you going for MBA if not happy and you are ambitious then you can go for Fulltime MBA abroad or even you can try ISB.
But I would not advise ypu to go for gruelling exams in India that take away your whole energy before going for actual MBA.Its better you go for GMAT.I think ou should go foe IT management and can continue with IT career with even more higher status and more renemorations and perks.

Thanks

For a 1yr MBA where you will meet people at the same age and career level as yourself, consider places like IMD, INSEAD, Ivey School of Business and the likes.

Try the below thread for more info on IMD. You might also want to consider PM-ing baccardisprite-- another Indian who's been to IMD
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/indian-imd-mba-2009-taking-questions-25038602

Innocuous,

For a career-changer, an EMBA doesn't help much. So a full-time degree will be your best bet.

Most European programs have a mature student mix. Most have worked for years in a particular industry and are looking for a change. It isn't uncommon to find yourself in class sitting next to someone who's close to 50. But that still is the exception. Check out the 80 percentile range for most of these programs. You'll be just 3-4 years over the median age.

Your situation is a little unique in the sense that most people who are already in IT want to move out. You want to attempt it the other way round. Any kind of career transition brings with it several challenges. The total lack of exposure in your destination career would mean you can't get into senior roles on the coding, testing, requirements' specs, designing side.

You could however look at project management roles, where it still helps a lot if you have a deep technical understanding of the underlying platforms. However the primary expectation from your side would be more on setting a roadmap, getting a team together and ensuring deadlines are met.

Even if you conquer your ego and keep your feet firmly on the ground, at 35-36 (your graduation age) it may not be worthwhile starting off as a fresher and then working your way to the top. You have been a senior executive in your current role. So you could also look at senior positions within the IT industry where you look at corporate planning kind of responsibilities.

You are embarking on a challenging journey. So do your homework well before you take the plunge.

Hi innocuos,

I really do not think your age will hinder your chances at being accepted to any business school. What is really important however, is the quality of your experience. A highly experienced individual (back me up BSchoolers) is usually received extremely positively at most institutes because they would tend to add more breadth and depth to a class room discussion and learnings. I know, personally, that next year, I would prefer to study along side individuals who are more experienced than me, that way I ensure I get a whole rounded education - not just from books. That being said, there are a whole lot of things to learn from individuals who are younger that you. So do not let the age pools be a strong deciding factor.

I think a few of the key points you would need to think about are:

1. Reasons to do another MBA - I am presuming the career switch - is this all?
2. Why is now the best time for you to do an MBA?

Don't really worry about the age - Wharton's graduating class have individuals from 18 - 45 and they rave about this!

Why don't you touch base with me over PM - I am applying for next fall.

Best,

Rosh

Thanks guys. Your advice is well appreciated.

I know the road ahead is challenging. I somehow did not plan my life well enough after graduation (almost a decade ago). I always knew that Technology/IT was my strong point but somehow never pursued it as a career.

Being in a family business of pharma/surgical/paper industry, I never thought of getting employment in external company in IT, gaining the relevant experience, knowhow and contacts, before venturing into an IT entrepreneurship venture.

I seriously feel that I can do well if I pursue a future in IT. Not coding, but in the management side and eventually start my own firm.

I do not want to turn 40 or 45 and think back that I should have pursued my dream. Its better late than never. I still have atleast 25 years of good work ahead of me.

Suggestions please? Thanks

Hello,

IMHO, With your age, work ex , you should be targetting IMD..where the classprofile and diversity will be close to your wavelength and ur experience would be enriching one.(IMD avg work ex is 7 and avg age is arnd 32) and IMD being more industry focussed would def give some goodleads wrt tech/IT post MBA option.

I am not too sure about others Ross, INSEAD are slightly younger schools for your case and you will need stronger reasons, application to be noticed by them.

Look at IMD , talk to IMD alums and see if is fitting in your picture coz i feel thats one school which you can now aim at

Cheers
Arvind