Indian @ IMD MBA 2009 taking questions.

133 Posts  ·  53 Users
About this group
Hi, I am an Indian currently pursuing MBA 2009 @ IMD, Lausanne, Switzerland. I would be very happy to guide future aspirants on the wonderful program here at IMD. I am 34, male, Indian with 11 years of experience in FMCG sales & marketin...
Page 1 of 14

Hi Shibu,
This is Abhishek from India. I have specific queries about IMD and would be glad if you can answer them.
I just want to know more about financing my MBA as I am coming from journalism background. Plus I do not have international experience but I have done some interviews for South Asia beat where I attended few events organised by embassies and other international organisations in New Delhi.

Rest i am pretty much confident about my profile.

Thanks
Abhishek

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Shibu,

I came across this forum thru IMD website. I will like to thank you and appreciate the effort you are putting in guiding applicanats. I am applying for MBA program starting in Jan 2012. I have a GMAT score of 650 (took it in 2007). I have 10 year of work exp in manufacturing in India & abroad. I did EMBA from an indian bschool in operations management in 2005. It was a evening program. The program was too focused on operations management. The aim was to grow in operations at that time. However, over a period of time my career goals and job role has grown far ahead of being a core operations guy. This is where this 2nd mba comes into picture. I plan to set up my own consultancy firm few years down the line & feel that IMD will be a big help in acheiving that.
Presently I am working outside india with annual salary greater than $100K per annum. I am bit concerned about asking reco from my superiors as it might affect my career growth in company in case I am not able to make it to IMD.
My stakes are quite high. I shall be thankful if you could please guide me about my chances of making it to IMD.

Thanking you in advance

Regards.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello MBA ka Josh,

It is very important that you do what is comfortable to you. If your question is seeking comment on your decision to apply with your current GMAT score, I dont see how my original views change. Good recommendations and a sound career progression I can assure you is a common factor among IMD applicants. GMAT and interviews can be the differentiators. I wish you all the best.

Regards
Shibu.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi there,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

GMAT - Good
Industry - O&G; - Good
Academics - Good

However, admissions are a complicated process. It depends among others on your career progression record, analytical and problem solving skills, interpersonal skills and intellectual agility.

Finances - I will not comment. It is a personal risk appetite and a decision that you need to take keeping in view all the other factors in your life.

What are your objectives? Send me a pm if you want to have a phone chat. I will provide you with a contact no.

Best
Shibu.

Dear Shibu,
Sorry for the delay in response to your query. Actually i had submitted an evaluation for IMD and got the following response:

"Based on the information you provided in the survey, there seems to be an overall good fit between your profile and the IMD MBA requirements, but one or more points deserve to be addressed or corrected to maximize your chance of success:

You do not appear to have significant international experience or exposure. We encourage you to gain more international experience by working outside your home country, travelling outside your country for business, or working with international clients. If you do decide to apply, please bring out your international / cross-cultural experiences such as those described above or by providing examples of working with people from different cultures within your country or your language capabilities.
".

Now I have been in a fix since this popped up on my mail id and dunno wat to do. The only lee way I see is the fact that as a North Indian (UP wallah) I was brought up in Andhra Pradesh (I speak telugu as fluently as if it was a native language). My work experience required of me to interact with workmen in a language other than Hindi and English (of which they have no clue). Since starting work 3.5 years ago (at Bangalore) I have learnt tamil and kannada and can speak both of them fluently like English or Hindi or telugu (i can now speak 5 languages and one dialect). Is this enough for a good shot at admit or not?

Please help me out shibu.. and the thing about finances, I am ready to take out a huge loan only that ppl should be ready to give me one..I am confident tat I can pay it back soon, once I get an MBA only prob is as u know most indian banks need collateral and I dont think I can arrange enough of it...I also read of the IMD aided loans, how long a shot it is to get one??
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Shibu,
Thanks for ur prompt reply.
I know my GMAT is on lower side, but due work pressure it's not possible for me to retake GMAT, so I am thinking of applying with my low score.
I will get good recos. I can show my career progression and post-mba goals clearly. Only concerned part to me is GMAT. Considering diversity factor, I feel to apply IMD eventhough low GMAT. Kindly comment on this.

Hi,

Your objectives seem well planned & logical wrt pharma. You need to explain your motivation strongly. The class usually has 1 or 2 docs every year & in that sense your application would be attractive.
Your acads seem good. However,I would be concerned with the GMAT score. The class average is 680 and Indian pool average is in the low 700s. Also you will need to explain demonstrated career & personal growth dimensions of your career till date.

Best
Shibu.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Shibu,

I had written to you on 22-07-2010 but you missed the post and by the time you replied on 23-12-2010, I wasn't following up the post.

But yes my query is still relevant but given the upcoming deadlines I would request you to share your email so that I can send you my detailed profile and get a feedback. I'm not sure if you check your messages so posting it here as well.

Thanks in advance!
Apotheosis

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

Your objectives seem well planned & logical wrt pharma. You need to explain your motivation strongly. The class usually has 1 or 2 docs every year & in that sense your application would be attractive.
Your acads seem good. However,I would be concerned with the GMAT score. The class average is 680 and Indian pool average is in the low 700s. Also you will need to explain demonstrated career & personal growth dimensions of your career till date.

Best
Shibu.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Shibu,
I need ur help before applying to IMD 2011 MBA fulltime.
I am MBBS doctor with
Acads- 10th- 91%, 12th- 93%
GMAT- 620(47-QA,30-VA,AWA-4.0)
Work exp- 8+ years till date( 5 years as Physician and 3 years as Administrative officer of big multi-specialty hospital) Includes Government as well as Private hospital exposure with good career progression.
EC- decent.
No Internatonal experience.
I am interested to work with pharma industries post-MBA and Switzerland has good pharma industries, So thinking of applying to MBA.
Kindly comment on my profile. Your suggestions r extremely appreciated.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Dear Shibu,
Happy new Year,

I went through the website of IMD, and i have a few queries..

first of all have I got a chance:

GMAT = 700,
exp = 4 yrs by the time I join IMD, in Indian Oil Corporation as a maintenance officer in Bangalore. Achievement - good, have got a big role in a plant in a short time.
acads : NIT Allahabad, B tech in Electrical Engg, with 8.93/10
sec school = 90 %
high school = 94.2%.
extra curricular: Quizzing- lot of prizes in many institutes,event management at college festivals in a lead role..

the other is about funding.. i have hardly a few lacs in Indian currency.. and shall have to go for heavy loans.

whether it would be gud for me to opt for the coll in view of funding/ chances or not.. the other is..is it too late to send the transcripts now before the 1 feb deadline...

Hi there,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

GMAT - Good
Industry - O&G; - Good
Academics - Good

However, admissions are a complicated process. It depends among others on your career progression record, analytical and problem solving skills, interpersonal skills and intellectual agility.

Finances - I will not comment. It is a personal risk appetite and a decision that you need to take keeping in view all the other factors in your life.

What are your objectives? Send me a pm if you want to have a phone chat. I will provide you with a contact no.

Best
Shibu.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Naveen

IMD does not have exchange programs and hence will not be able to facilitate your objectives.

Best of luck for your quest. If you want any further information in the shipping domain, I can connect you with a couple of classmates from a shipping industry background.

Best,
Shibu.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...