MBA after 8 years of work exp to shift career??

Dear Friends, I am Murthy from Chennai. I am a Mechanical Engineer with 8 years of work experience in assessing the automobile materials hazardous compliance. My field is very narrow and esp. in India it has got very limited opportunities. I wou…

Dear Friends,
I am Murthy from Chennai. I am a Mechanical Engineer with 8 years of work experience in assessing the automobile materials hazardous compliance. My field is very narrow and esp. in India it has got very limited opportunities. I would like to switch over my career to Finance by doing MBA. I am preparing for GMAT. Some of my friends told that, switching career after 8 years is difficult even if one does MBA. Is it correct? Does MBA not open gates for shifting of my career? Please advice.
Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Murthy

Any replies please??

Hi , its not the case Mr Murthy . As they say if u want something hard enough , you will surely get it .....I too had an experience of 9 years as a Chemical Engineer . I always wished to do a good MBA , so I decided to sit for CAT and other exams , I did not want to do an Executive MBA since I wanted to do a full time 2 years MBA (my own wish) also as per my financial status at that point in time I did not opt for am MBA abroad , I preapared hard for CAT , could not get through, got a so so rank in JMET and got selected in IIT Roorkee MBA programme , though it was not a recommended option at that point in time (it being a new programme and IITs reputation as Schools of Management was just about growing , also campus placements wer not that great) - now you would think that statistics were against my decision and believe me I was mentally prepared for the fact that in the worst case scenario I may not get a good job ....however the zeal of adding "value" indeed was much more than anything else, I did my MBA with great passion , achieved a good CGPA and got a good job in IT sector , 4 years on I could move very fast up the career path not just because of my MBA degree but due to the approach that I always take in life - go ahead and do it - enjoy what u do .......now after 4 years post MBA , I think that I can do something on my own ...so I have quit the Corporate world and aiming to be an entrepreneur

Dear Friends,
I am Murthy from Chennai. I am a Mechanical Engineer with 8 years of work experience in assessing the automobile materials hazardous compliance. My field is very narrow and esp. in India it has got very limited opportunities. I would like to switch over my career to Finance by doing MBA. I am preparing for GMAT. Some of my friends told that, switching career after 8 years is difficult even if one does MBA. Is it correct? Does MBA not open gates for shifting of my career? Please advice.
Many thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Murthy

vinnakota5 Says
Any replies please??

invban Says
Hi , its not the case Mr Murthy . As they say if u want something hard enough , you will surely get it .....I too had an experience of 9 years as a Chemical Engineer . I always wished to do a good MBA , so I decided to sit for CAT and other exams , I did not want to do an Executive MBA since I wanted to do a full time 2 years MBA (my own wish) also as per my financial status at that point in time I did not opt for am MBA abroad , I preapared hard for CAT , could not get through, got a so so rank in JMET and got selected in IIT Roorkee MBA programme , though it was not a recommended option at that point in time (it being a new programme and IITs reputation as Schools of Management was just about growing , also campus placements wer not that great) - now you would think that statistics were against my decision and believe me I was mentally prepared for the fact that in the worst case scenario I may not get a good job ....however the zeal of adding "value" indeed was much more than anything else, I did my MBA with great passion , achieved a good CGPA and got a good job in IT sector , 4 years on I could move very fast up the career path not just because of my MBA degree but due to the approach that I always take in life - go ahead and do it - enjoy what u do .......now after 4 years post MBA , I think that I can do something on my own ...so I have quit the Corporate world and aiming to be an entrepreneur

: both of you to pg.
It would be of great benefit to both of you as well as the other puys if you post your queries in relevant threads. Many puys can share & learn form each other's experiences & similarly help solve dilemma of many.
Vist the Forums & check for the suitable thread to post ur query.
Else using the search option is not at all difficult.
Posting here might yield more responses
(Personal/Career/CAT-job Dilemma Queries : A Repository)http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/career...lemma-296.html (Personal/Career/CAT-job Dilemma Queries : A Repository)
Dont open new threads without searching thouroughly.
It is easy.
Mods close the thread.

My current boss did his MBA from INSEAD after having worked in IT for more than 10 years. I know of a lot of other people also who have done their MBA after having worked for a very long time. It is just a function of how you explain to the Adcom your reasons for pursuing an MBA.