London Business School

Hi Guys, Anyone heading for London Business School? Even after being one of the the best known names, I did not find any thread relating to LBS. I know it is kinda late to begin this thread, but the last deadline for LBS is a month aw…

Hi Guys,

Anyone heading for London Business School?
Even after being one of the the best known names, I did not find any thread relating to LBS.

I know it is kinda late to begin this thread, but the last deadline for LBS is a month away.
Am targeting the same, and any information regarding the same is more than welcome.
I will be visiting the university on the 10th of April, and hope to get my application packet ready before that.
Anyone GAME for the final dealine at LBS??:grab:

Cheers,
Aks

hello there,
I am lookin at fall 2007 and LSB is on my list as well. I did some preliminary info-gaining stuff on the school and was pretty impressed by it. So i requested a brochure and was all the more impressed 😃 The prospects of doing an MBA @ LSB does sond good.

BTW - any digging out i do will be definitely lesser than the personal visiting your'e gonna do. so i'd be glad to hear back from you after your trip gets complete. Any kind of information will be great.

As i mentioned earlier - i do have some info reg the School. So if you need something, ping me up and let's do the digging together :)

And yeah - all the best for your app this year.

My 2 cents on applying now - if i were you i'd wait for the next fall. To begin with applying in the final rounds has disadvantages as most of the seats could have been filled already. You cannot think much about grants and waivers and scholarships as they would have been grabbed by the earlier cycle ppl. If by some chance, you end up in a situation to reapply next year, you'll have to show a big progress in your resume to show that this year you are better than last year!!! So - it is kind of difficult. So if your'e not really desperate to do ur MBA this year - wait for the next year is what i'd advice.

iday

not bad ... I, like Iday, have slotted the apps to next year and though London does not feature in the free 5 it would definitely be one of the schools I will spend to apply.

just for sanity and parity's sake may I request Aks to post a link to the school's website on this thread; and Iday to caliberate I will do the same.... I am one of the lost souls who have visited the Lal Bahadur Shastri School of Management thread twice looking for the LBS thread...and know for a fact that London has about a dozen business schools.

Rimpy aunty da London School -- we teach business with ethical values ..we also teach economics.

Mods can someone name the thread correctly.

hi all. long awaited thread.

me will apply to lbs next year...actually was thinking of applying in the final round but then decided against it...visa and other issues (if ever i get admitted i.e.)

no harvard and whartons fr me... just the lbs. its d best. keep this thread alive so that we can get pointers fr our apps next year.

happy hunting aks. gudluk.

www.london.edu

My apologies!
Sorry for the LSB-LBS thing (ya but I like the lal bahadur thing harshg)
Moderaters, can we rename this thread to London Business School?

Thanks ats for the university links.

Cheers,
Aks

Really guys,
for those ppl who have LBS ln the list - subscribe to their mail lists and request a brochure. not that u dont get to see what's in the brochure in the site - but they give this wonderful CD with videos of students, proff etc which really makes an impression.

one of the reason for my looking at London Bschool is coz it is relatively cheaper compared to the US Schools. it also offers me a much better opportunity to get placed somewhere closer to india - either immediately after the course or some time later. they're really strong inside UK and much of europe - but they get ppl placed in the Asias Region also.

me game for keeping the thread alive. why arent there similar threads for other schools?!?! Or - do they already exist ;)

Iday

let's share our profiles as well.. I am sure not all of us are banking on the LBS alone and would have different reasons for an LBS admit

iday, im not sure if lbs is cheaper than other us schools. in fact the fees totals a bit more than the total in us b schools (the top tier ones) and the cost of living in london is without doubt amongst the highest in major cities of the world.
(check the cost of living estimates etc)

now the only thing in favor of us schools is the larger amount of schols that they offer (comparatively) and we all know that scols are never sure.

I recieved their brochure about a year or so back...that time they had no cd. not fair. ill try to get a new one 😃 just for the heck of it!!

iday, im not sure if lbs is cheaper than other us schools. in fact the fees totals a bit more than the total in us b schools (the top tier ones) and the cost of living in london is without doubt amongst the highest in major cities of the world.
(check the cost of living estimates etc)

now the only thing in favor of us schools is the larger amount of schols that they offer (comparatively) and we all know that scols are never sure.

I recieved their brochure about a year or so back...that time they had no cd. not fair. ill try to get a new one 😃 just for the heck of it!!

Hello ats,
I did my math based on the info provided in this page http://www.london.edu/mba/feesandfinancing.html.

Though there is no on-the-dot info the expenses. I did a conservative estiimate and ended up with around 30 - 35 Lakh INR (@ Rs.75/GBP), which was lower than the top tier US schools in my view. I concluded so since the info on expenses provided in US schools came around 75000 to 80000 US$ on an average.

I do agree that a diff of 2/3 Lakh INR or even around 5L INR is not big when converted to the resp currencies 😃 I agree though that i dint consider the "cost of living" side of the issue. BTW - i thought it wudnt make much of a diff b/w any of the top US cities and London. Aren't they all supposed to be activity HUBs??? :)

One thing is for sure - wherever we go, it will cost a fortune ;)

Iday

Guys, I don't know if you are aware of it. But just fyi, I got dinged without an interview at LBS. Have done a lot of introspection to find the right reasons. Let me know if I can answer any app related query.

Oh yea - 12K+ rupees and not even a polite feedback at the end of it all sure hurts 😞

Arun

Dear Arun,

I'm comparatively new to this forum.Can you plez provide some info abt the application process of LBS,like aplication essays,recos etc.How to go abt it as I'm planning to sumit my application by 20th April.Is TOEFL score required?
It'll be very nice if you can provide some dos & don'ts.

Hector

Guys, I don't know if you are aware of it. But just fyi, I got dinged without an interview at LBS. Have done a lot of introspection to find the right reasons. Let me know if I can answer any app related query.

Oh yea - 12K+ rupees and not even a polite feedback at the end of it all sure hurts 😞

Arun

Hey PsychoD,
Sorry to hear that man. But i'm sure it is coz something better is waiting for ya to happen :)

BTW - can you share your profile, and other stuff you find appropriate, with us??? what were the essays??? what were ur line-of-attacks on these essays???

Things like these and other stuff which could be helpful for prospective applicants of the future.

thanks in advance...

Iday

Arun

Hey Arun,

Such things are part and parcel of the game.
One of these threads I read, this guy with a 700 GMAT and a good work ex in IT to back him got dinged at ..... ISB!!
Can you beat that!! With a profile like that he wud have expected a cakewalk at ISB.

Leave this behind and move on... and like Iday said... something better might be in store!! 😃

In the meantime.... I have been doing some research about LSB.
In my research, I found out that London is THE HUB for a lot of global activity!! All the major investment decisions et al are made in consultation with the offices at London. Also, the London market steers most of the other stock markets across the world. All this attracts a lot of partronage to the LSB from BIG brands such as Lehmann Brothers, J P Morgan, Union Bank of Swiss (UBS), Morgan Stanley.
And hence it makes LSB reckon for THE BEST place to do an MBA with a IB/Finance focus.

Not so rosy wrt to Consulting at LSB though :neutral:
Consulting giants like Mckinsey & Co, BCG, Gartner, Bain & Co visit the LSB.... but these pick up laterals with prior experience in Consulting. It is kinda tough for a "career-switcher" (so they are called) to make it as big as easily!! The contrast is more obvious if you juxtapose this with the schools like RSM which are known for consulting and which prepare their candidates, laterals and switchers both, for jobs with these big brands.

I am yet to speak to the alumni and the proffs of both RSM/LSB and wud need some more research before I go to London the next Monday.

Would really appreciate you all to share your bit of research on this very forum. This would help build up to a more informed decisions by all of us.

Would also like to invite questions regarding LSB from any of you guys which I can put forth the LSB committee.

Cheers,
Aks

Hmm.......certainly presumptuos of me to think everyone would probably be knowing my profile like the back of their hands Thanks to my thread "countdown to MBA" which has been running since September last year.

Long and short of it - 6yrs workexp (entrepreneurship thrown in) currently an Assistant PM for an IT consulting company, International exposure, GMAT 700, MCA with okay acads and BSc with baaad acads. Lots of extracurriculars.

I tried figuring out some reasons, could be right or wrong, but read more about it here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/the-countdown-to-mba-25010794

Some pointers:

(a) TOEFL was waived off for me.

(b) The online form is pretty exhaustive. Be sure that you keep filling it in so there is no last minute surprises

(c) Essays were thought-provoking but some of them become painful because of the word-limit. What the heck can you write in 100-words ?

Arun

One of these threads I read, this guy with a 700 GMAT and a good work ex in IT to back him got dinged at ..... ISB!!

Can you beat that!! With a profile like that he wud have expected a cakewalk at ISB.

Yours truely also got dinged at ISB

In my research, I found out that London is THE HUB for a lot of global activity!! All the major investment decisions et al are made in consultation with the offices at London. Also, the London market steers most of the other stock markets across the world. All this attracts a lot of partronage to the LSB from BIG brands such as Lehmann Brothers, J P Morgan, Union Bank of Swiss (UBS), Morgan Stanley.
And hence it makes LSB reckon for THE BEST place to do an MBA with a IB/Finance focus.

Not so rosy wrt to Consulting at LSB though :neutral:
Consulting giants like Mckinsey & Co, BCG, Gartner, Bain & Co visit the LSB.... but these pick up laterals with prior experience in Consulting. It is kinda tough for a "career-switcher" (so they are called) to make it as big as easily!! The contrast is more obvious if you juxtapose this with the schools like RSM which are known for consulting and which prepare their candidates, laterals and switchers both, for jobs with these big brands.

I disagree. Its as easy or difficult to make a change from IT to consulting as it is from IT to Finance. Or for that matter anywhere else. So don think that Goldman Sachs would pick you that easily and McK would choose not to. At the end of the day, apart from the degree, its also a lot to do with what you bring to the table in terms of experience, skills and natural flair/aptitude.

Regarding my research, unfortunately it was not anything that you cannot glean from the facts out there. I did try reaching out to one of my ex-colleague, who in fact even made it to the summer consulting project, but was unable to do so.

Arun
Dear Arun,

I'm comparatively new to this forum.Can you plez provide some info abt the application process of LBS,like aplication essays,recos etc.How to go abt it as I'm planning to sumit my application by 20th April.Is TOEFL score required?
It'll be very nice if you can provide some dos & don'ts.

Hector

Hey Hector,

The basic information that you seek is provided here.

If you have an international exposure and undergrad education in English, you generally get the TOEFL waived off.

For starters the LBS application process consists of
a. Filling up an initial preliminary data application form
b. Submitting the supplementary documents (recos, transcripts)
c. Interview (might have both telephone and alumni interviews)
d. Final decision

I strongly recommend you to go thru the school website before commiting your 140.
Should you need any information beyond what is mentioned on the LSB site feel free to ask!!

Cheers,
Aks
Yours truely also got dinged at ISB

I didnt bother to go to the ISB thread before I posted this reply. Phew!!:nervous:
A rather uninformed post!
No hard feelings buddy... 😃

I disagree. Its as easy or difficult to make a change from IT to consulting as it is from IT to Finance. Or for that matter anywhere else. So don think that Goldman Sachs would pick you that easily and McK would choose not to. At the end of the day, apart from the degree, its also a lot to do with what you bring to the table in terms of experience, skills and natural flair/aptitude.

Very true!! I subscribe to your thoughts Arun. My point was, an MS form Purdue has a different weightage as compared to the MBA from Purdue!! Dig it?
LBS has a focus for Finance and IB due to a conducive environment and hence great placements for those majors.
Personal flavor is a must wherever you do your PG from... be it LBS or Purdue. It is about how much can you soak in from your experience in the B-School. :grab:
Cheers,
Aks

Hey...

I am an aspirant as well (applying for autumn 2009).

Jus wanna know how the jobs from US B-Schools compare with those from the NON-US Schools. Compare as in the place of work...choice of work-profile etc...

do reply...

Goody Good Good the name of the thread is changed.

most of the post qual employers are MNCs and hire from both the US and the European and the Indian schools... to attempt answer salazar's question the post qual placements would go neck and neck for similarly rated schools regardless of their geographic location.

Aks shed some more light on why is LBS good vis a vis Finance / IB -- is it on the bases of post qualification placements in the Industry or is it because of the course content and the median awareness levels regarding the subject for each successive batch.

I was not able to consolidate an opinion about the Interantional Business Management as a taught subject in the LBS by looking at the website; and was not able to see a single test paper covering Business Law..... any comments.