Kellogg class of 2012 admit - Any questions?

Alright, I find myself answering many PMs. I figured theres no better way to serve this community than taking this whole question and answer thing’ public. Im a pretty old member of this forum. I think I started frequenting this site from as early…

Alright, I find myself answering many PMs. I figured theres no better way to serve this community than taking this whole question and answer thing' public. Im a pretty old member of this forum. I think I started frequenting this site from as early as 2006. For some strange reason, Im unable to use my old account. Hence I had to create a new one.
I used to read all the posts, especially those of admitted students, with a lot of interest. There was this thread -Chicago gsg admit - Any questions? - which is one of the most informative threads on this forum. I learnt a lot from this site which ultimately helped me during the application season. Im indebted to the admits on this forum (iday, Keya, deba come to mind). In fact, I even attend an event hosted by Kunal( Booth10) in Gurgaon. I want to take that initiative forward. This is my way of paying back. I have a couple of weeks before VISA and the related stuff gather momentum. Fire away any questions if you have on the admission process. Ill be happy to answer them.
Please refrain from posting profiles because -- First, I dont know much about the admission process. Second, I cannot comment by looking at just the quantitative aspects. Qualitative aspects are far more critical. Third, a lot depends on the quality of the essays. Fourth, the admission process is random to a certain extent. I was invited by Booth for an interview and eventually dinged but admitted by Kellogg. I pretty much conveyed the same to both the schools. I know many of my friends who wrote the same stuff for both the schools but got into Booth and did not get in Kellogg. Last and most importantly, my answers are MY VIEWS and ONLY MINE. They are based on what Ive learnt during this tiresome 4yr journey of mine that began in 2006
For those of you who are curious, heres my background
B.E:- Mechanical
GMAT: - 700
Work ex: - 4yrs Automotive industry
Pretty good extracurricular and community service
Alright, I find myself answering many PMs. I figured theres no better way to serve this community than taking this whole question and answer thing' public. Im a pretty old member of this forum. I think I started frequenting this site from as early as 2006. For some strange reason, Im unable to use my old account. Hence I had to create a new one.

Bluefile

Congrats for your admit and this initiative.

1. Can you pls share your interview experience at both Kellogg and Booth. ?

2. I am just curious about your work experience. If you dont mind sharing, what are your roles in your company ? about your ECs ? I am just trying to get an over all picture.

Thanks in advance.
bigbigdreams,
To be frank, this is what I thought after both the interviews - Booth interview went very well and Kellogg interview was an absolute nightmare.
Hindsight vision is always 20/20. Now if I evaluate, I feel the Booth alum had already made up his mind in the first 5 mins of the interview. The reason: - I was asked about 25 questions in 35 mins. I did my best to answer them. But he was cutting me off as soon as I tried to elaborate and give more examples or share some anecdotes. Lets just say my background and his were completely different. He was the India head of a Multinational software company and probably did not find my background/goals interesting
I found the Kellogg adcom member, though the interview was telephonic, to be very accommodating. Shed wait till I complete the answer, ask questions in between and check whether that is all what I had to say in the end.
In my opinion an interview, like GMAT or GPA, is another data point. A really pathetic interview can always blow your chances but a good, or an average, or an excellent interview cannot guarantee anything because the other aspects of your profile also matter. A Princeton guy with 3yrs workex in Mckinsey and 700+ GMAT will always get in no matter how he performs in the interview( such candidates normally dont bomb; even a below average interview will work in his favour). But for an ordinary guy like me, who has only a couple of strong points, it always helps if the interview goes extremely well.
Now, coming back to your question on extracurricular related stuff, lets say that Im very active with a representation at university level. For privacy issues Ill say Im into physical sports (marathon runs, power lifting et al)
Im in the Engineering/Sourcing division of my company

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Which were the other schools other than Kellogg and Booth that you applied to ?

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Which were the other schools other than Kellogg and Booth that you applied to ?

Ross. rejected without interview. I don't have any issues with that because I wrote my essays in like 2.5days.

Pretty pathetic execution.

how about a meet in Gurgaon/Delhi?? people from NCR can meet u and gain from ur experience...

gmat2010 Says
how about a meet in Gurgaon/Delhi?? people from NCR can meet u and gain from ur experience...

I'm OK with it

I'm currently in Chennai but I'll be in Gurgaon from 7th May to 13th May. We can plan something if a few more are interested.

Sounds good!!! sending u a pm...if possible send me ur contact no. ... i would really like to meet u in GGN...

hey bluefile, congrats for you success...dis must be surely the best times of ur life :)

even I wrote my Ross R2 essays in just 3 days, and yesterday I got a reject after amazing interview and a month waitlist. Didn't apply to kelloggs or booth...I think being in IT did hurt me.

Anyways, I'll going to apply next year now with my best foot fwd 😃 Do you have any plans to land in bangalore? It would be of my delightful interest to have a chat with you personally or if that not possible we could meet over skype.

Let me know!

Best regards!!

Hi All

I am working on a project with a top US school to find out the preferences of prospective students. I would greatly appreciate if you can take out 10 mins from your schedule to carefully go through the 16 choices in the survey and assign points based on your preference.

Please click the link below to start the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KZR3HBD

hey bluefile, congrats for you success...dis must be surely the best times of ur life :)

even I wrote my Ross R2 essays in just 3 days, and yesterday I got a reject after amazing interview and a month waitlist. Didn't apply to kelloggs or booth...I think being in IT did hurt me.

Anyways, I'll going to apply next year now with my best foot fwd 😃 Do you have any plans to land in bangalore? It would be of my delightful interest to have a chat with you personally or if that not possible we could meet over skype.

Let me know!

Best regards!!

aras82,

I was in Bangalore last week to meet some of my friends but I'm not sure whether I'll be going there anytime soon.

I'll be meeting a few interested applicants in Gurgaon in the first/second week of May-10. A Booth alum(virgil-speak) is also interested in joining this meet. I'm sure he'll have many interesting things to share. If you happen to be in Delhi/Gurgaon around that time, come meet us.

However, please go ahead and post whatever questions you have on the application process/essays etc, I'll try my best to answer them.

As I wrote in one of the private messages, I learnt a lot from the questions PGuys posted. If everyone used the PM service, there would be no knowledge sharing and no PG. But, if you have any personal questions, drop me a PM

Cheers,
bluefile

Sure bro..I would like to meet u in GGN..

Hello ,

This thread has almost died.. :-(
But trying my luck anyway...

Could you please let me know how does MMM prog compare wid MBA at Kellogg?

Do the students of any of these courses have any advantage/disadvantage over the students of other course?

I am intending to apply to Kellogg MMM.

Kindly advise...

Hey Dazed,

Even I am looking at the MMM program. This program has a very limited number of seats around 50 - 60. The students of this course have no disadvantage, but instead, in my view have an advantage as in you use the resources of both Kellogg and McCormik. I am not sure of how are the selection policies for this program.

I tried attending an info session but looks like most off campus sessions in Chicago, where I am currently located are focussed on MBA. I even wrote to adcom and they said thay have a MMM Prospective day which falls on the last friday of Oct. Hope to get more info there.

My 2 cents.

Hey Dazed,

Even I am looking at the MMM program. This program has a very limited number of seats around 50 - 60. The students of this course have no disadvantage, but instead, in my view have an advantage as in you use the resources of both Kellogg and McCormik. I am not sure of how are the selection policies for this program.

I tried attending an info session but looks like most off campus sessions in Chicago, where I am currently located are focussed on MBA. I even wrote to adcom and they said thay have a MMM Prospective day which falls on the last friday of Oct. Hope to get more info there.

My 2 cents.

Hey.. how did ur app go?
Heard anythin from them?
Could u pls share ur prof??

-Ganesh
GMAT : 710
WE : 4+ IT

I have not applied as yet... looking at round 2. And the bad news is I will not be able to make it the MMM prospective day have something to take care of at work. So let's see.

My Profile:

700/5
3+ yrs - Usability Engineer / Interaction designer (IT Services)
Little leadership across acads

Have you applied? If not, we can work together - wat say?

I applied in R1.. We can work on ur app anyway..
let me know in case u wud like to know abt my app-exp..

That's cool. Did you give your Toefl? I am wondering if kellogg can waive toefl since I am going to get a medium of instruction certificate from my university. Any idea on this?

And just curious - did you apply to any other programs like Tepper or anything?

ya.. u don't need a toefl if u can get the certificate from ur univ..
I took toefl coz some of the schools i m applyin to need it..
I applied to Tepper, Duke, IESE.. how abt u?