Chicago GSB Admit: Any Questions Anybody??

460 Posts  ·  97 Users
About this group
Hello All!!! Yess!!!!! The long wait is finally over!!! :: :: I just got a call from the Adcom at Chicago saying that I now have a place for the class of 2009!! Yipeee!!!!! So now, all my dear PGuys, .... anything I can do t...
Page 1 of 46
My Two Cents on the Essays

Well, I promised that I would write out a detailed post on the whole essay writing process, and how I felt about it so here it is. Before I start though, I have to stress that the other parts are important too esp the resume and recommendations and the parts where you can talk exclusively about areas like extra curricular activities and community service. But the essays are pure YOU.

When writing this post, I had a question for myself How do I write this? School specific, or generic? On the professional, or personal?
Are there really any rules for writing the essays? I know when Iday and I read each others essays, we both thought the other was writing in a crazy way that would definitely scream DENY!! Yet were both in.

After thinking about it for a while, I thought Id talk to all you PGuys about the Essays themselves not the essays of a particular school, not general rules about them, but the essence of what they are to your application. It took me 2 months and 25 drafts to write the Chicago essays and what I am going to write about here, is what I learnt in those two months and 25 drafts.
Again, Im NOT an expert, these are just my musings on it, and Im grateful that all of you still want to spend time reading about what I think.

We hear the Adcoms say: Write about who you are. We hear about differentiators and we worry about our extra-curricular activities (or lack of them) or our community service (or lack of it). How much does each of them matter? Well, heres my take on it.

The Adcoms are trying to get to know who you are. The essays are the only chance they will have, other than your interview. Yes, they are looking for fit. But this elusive intangible has some factors that all schools are looking for. They are looking for a person who views life with passion. Who can push beyond his/her own boundaries, and who shows evidence, above all, of being self-aware.
But how do you say that in your essays??

We are trying to tell the Adcom that we are unique, and that we fit in that class. That we are different. What we are trying to project through the essays, is a sense of Person.
All of us are unique. But before you can say that in an essay, you have to believe it yourself. Before you start penning those essays, take a look at your life so far. Go into your own psyche, introspect deeply, and try answering these questions.

1.When I was at school, what made me work hard (or play hooky)??
2.When I was at college, what drove me?
3.If I have any extra curricular activities, what drove me to pursue them?
4.If I dont, where was I spending the time? Was I spending it with family (which is very important to me), or was I spending it studying extra hard?
5.What drives me? Is it family? Is it because I NEED to excel? Is it peer pressure? Is it because I met someone who inspired me?
6.What makes me get up and fight again when life kicks me down? Is it my faith in myself? Is it someone in my life?
7.When I was down and out, what did I learn? To avoid certain things? To face problems head on? To think before I leap? Or to get the courage to take the leap?
8.Did I ever inspire anyone to be better than they are? What made them believe in me?
9.Of all the people I work with, have relationships with what am I appreciated for, and what would they like me to change?
10.What learning environment do I feel happy in? When Im left to myself, or when things are structured? When I work on my own, or when I am in a team?
11.What about my current job makes me really happy? Makes me want to get up each morning and go to work?
12.What about my current job to I absolutely hate? That makes me want to leave it? What has me dissatisfied? Where do I want to head to?
13.And finally, last of all what am I looking for through an MBA? Why do I think it will change my life?

When you have answered all this, youll understand your own motivations. And once you do, its easier to write about them. After that, Google is your best friend as you go about researching the various programs. You buy books like Richard Montauks which give you guidelines.

But since now YOU are absolutely clear about what YOU are looking for, youll pick the program that Fits you best. Youll write that passionately in your essays because you really believe it. The Adcom will read that, and feel it too. And they get to know you through your pen.
You make them feel what YOU have felt through your life the joy, the pain, the triumphs, the losses, the motivation, the letting go. What drives you to be the best YOU can be.

And then, hopefully, you get an Admit.

ATB
Keya

Keya... that indeed was an elaborate explanation... thanks
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Friends,

I have recently taken my GMAT and managed 720 (Q 50 and V 37). Now, I am not sure if I can go for big schools. I am interested in Finance and Chicago GSB is one of the top schools for Finance, right?
My profile - UG(CS) 75%, Masters in CS 3.81/4.0, Work Experience - 2.5 by april 2009. EC-average, i guess. Lots of activities during UG, some during Masters.
How good do you think my chances are to get into GSB?
I would appreciate any comments, suggestions.

TIA,
Surya

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks mate for the views, shall get back to you later when more things get into the reckoning

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hey,
Would you think is advisable to put up a strong techology/ consulting experience in the essays, claiming to be wanting to get into tech consulting/ eunterprenaurship to a school ,which is not quite the school's forte? Would it then be interpreted ,that I am over evaluating the school only to make an entry into the school.... GSB and me would fit into this question as an example....
And any idea if GSB has a strong indian communtiy historically, which If true would help them evalute my application better.........

ok you have changed the direction. Entrepreneurship is GSB's forte so that will definitely make much sense.

tech/consulting experience is one of the most common applicant profiles for GSB as it is for other schools so why wouldn't you want to take your fair shot?

GSB has had a strong indian community off late. it didn't have many earlier.
but trust me they know about indian schools and profiles. if anything their admissions committee comes from various other schools which just adds to their exposure to indians. Believe me you, this should be the least of your worries.

Cheers
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey,
Thanks dude for giving me replies , as soon as u ve done. I have another question as well..Would you think is advisable to put up a strong techology/ consulting experience in the essays, claiming to be wanting to get into tech consulting/ eunterprenaurship to a school ,which is not quite the school's forte? Would it then be interpreted ,that I am over evaluating the school only to make an entry into the school.... GSB and me would fit into this question as an example....
And any idea if GSB has a strong indian communtiy historically, which If true would help them evalute my application better.........

Thanks
Ram

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi folks,
I am ram looking at Chicago GSB admissions 2009. I have very specific questions. may be deba_s56 could answer it as well. Is chicago GSB a strong school for general managemant and/or Technology consulting and what importance do they give to class diversity in terms of ethnic composition and other things?. Has it been known to have a strong Indian community presence? And i shall squeeze in a 3rd question as well.. Are they specifically looking for strong academic achievemnts like Haas(berkely) and stanford do?

Deba isn't quite here but I will give my two cents:

Chicago GSB is not considered especially strong for General Management. comparable schools for general management would be Tuck and Ross. It is more of a school where you build specific strengths.
And I personally think that technology consulting can be a forte only for the valley and SF bay area schools. However having said that i would say that GSB has a very very strong consulting legacy. Chicago is the home ground for loads of consulting companies so that should be just fine.

can't answer the last question for you... but for a top school that really is given, isn't it?

Cheers
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi folks,
I am ram looking at Chicago GSB admissions 2009. I have very specific questions. may be deba_s56 could answer it as well. Is chicago GSB a strong school for general managemant and/or Technology consulting and what importance do they give to class diversity in terms of ethnic composition and other things?. Has it been known to have a strong Indian community presence? And i shall squeeze in a 3rd question as well.. Are they specifically looking for strong academic achievemnts like Haas(berkely) and stanford do?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi!

I am going to give my GMAT on March 31st, 2008. Please guide me on the scores required and other details of GSB.

Thank you
pamoli01

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
TIA

you are attempting a tonic that is sure to give you loads of unnecessary stress. the mid-decision deadline is 20th february. Why would you want to swing your moods based on somebody else's run down of your profile when the deadline is just 2 weeks away?

I suggest that you do not get on this now. my 2 cents.

Cheers

Hi Kunal

Thanks for your response...i guess in a way you are right...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hey guys...

i see some of the current students are helping the aspiring ones.....great jobs guys...

pls help me out as well....i have recently applied to chicago in the second round...the following is my profile...

26Y, 710(50,35), MCA(71%), Bsc Maths(70%), work ex- 4Y in sept 2008, EC - very good in professional world...active in participating and organizing various cultural and sports events..member of training and hiring board in my organization....but no social work 😞 ......

can any of you current or past students throw some light if i can expect an interview call....

TIA

you are attempting a tonic that is sure to give you loads of unnecessary stress. the mid-decision deadline is 20th february. Why would you want to swing your moods based on somebody else's run down of your profile when the deadline is just 2 weeks away?

I suggest that you do not get on this now. my 2 cents.

Cheers
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...