Hey apprentice! I've got a call too for 11/01 in bangalore. Am excited to meet the rest! What's the venue?
My profile: IT workex: 2.8 yrs Finance work ex: 1.2 yrs. GMAT : 690
Lemme know the details pls... - tar
Hi, Mee too shortlisted for 10th Jan Interview at Bangalore. Im too eager to meet the rest. Can we fix on the venue. My Profile: GMAT: 710 Work ex. 8.5 yrs Acad: REC allahabad BE International: 1.5yrs.
my interview is scheduled for 3rd jan. i am very nervous. please help me . for the following steps:
1) how to approach writing for the topic on 100 words. i came across few words which are not very good to express. Also, how well it should be organised??? i am a techie... poor vocab. what if i come across a word i dont know the meaning of the word
2)after writing next step- when you enter the room for interview --- what you all suggest a) should nod or a shakehand b) should i wait for them to introduce themselve... then wish them? c) a hello or formal good morning etc. is required???
pls. help me with your inputs. and give me genuine advice. response from all is invited to help me.
Regards, pls. help .... i am new to all this. and have never attended any formal interview.
From your post, I can guess that you are low on self confidence!!! :wow: So my first advise would be not to fret and be confident about yourself. Afterall you got an interview call from ISB!! How many applicants manage that??
Please see inline for responses to your queries...
my interview is scheduled for 3rd jan. i am very nervous. please help me . for the following steps:
1) how to approach writing for the topic on 100 words. i came across few words which are not very good to express. Also, how well it should be organised??? i am a techie... poor vocab. what if i come across a word i dont know the meaning of the word - Firstly, you are not expected to write a literary masterpiece to challenge Shakespeare!! All you have to do is pen your thoughts about the given topic in a logically structured way! As you are a techie, putting things logically should be second nature. Remember pompous words may not necessarily fetch better results. Just be simple and to the point!! :)
2)after writing next step- when you enter the room for interview --- what you all suggest a) should nod or a shakehand b) should i wait for them to introduce themselve... then wish them? c) a hello or formal good morning etc. is required??? - Looks like you have not taken GMAT out of your mind yet!!! Life does not have one right answer for every multiple choice question!! If you are aspiring to be in ISB you ought to know that! You could always nod as you enter, shake hands while introducing yourself and wish them as well!!
Bottom line is do what comes naturally to you... Please concentrate on your profile rather than worrying whether you should nod or shake hands!! :wow:
pls. help me with your inputs. and give me genuine advice. response from all is invited to help me.
Regards, pls. help .... i am new to all this. and have never attended any formal interview.
From your post, I can guess that you are low on self confidence!!! :wow: So my first advise would be not to fret and be confident about yourself. Afterall you got an interview call from ISB!! How many applicants manage that??
Please see inline for responses to your queries...
Thanks a lot. it was actually not being low in confidence just that i am nervous as i have not attended any interview for last many-many years and culture in my company is very informal.
Also, we are so used to of check lists so started with first thing in the list.
Thanks a lot buddy. i will take out that confidence from my Dmat account for the interview day which i invested couple of years back.:) Hope i get good returns as markets are giving high returns these days
Thanks a lot. it was actually not being low in confidence just that i am nervous as i have not attended any interview for last many-many years and culture in my company is very informal.
Also, we are so used to of check lists so started with first thing in the list.
Thanks a lot buddy. i will take out that confidence from my Dmat account for the interview day which i invested couple of years back.:) Hope i get good returns as markets are giving high returns these days
Anyupdate on the meeting schedule for all the bangalorians who have interview scheduled in Jan. Lets meet and discuss about the interview preparations. It might help some of us.
Hi Manoj, I think 'apprentice' was planning to organize this meet. He had PMed me about it sometime ago. (btw.. I am a R1 admit) However, lately I do not see much participation from him so probably he is occupied with something. You or any of the other R2 shortlisted folks can take the initiative and organize it!!
Cheers, Nirav
Dear All,
Anyupdate on the meeting schedule for all the bangalorians who have interview scheduled in Jan. Lets meet and discuss about the interview preparations. It might help some of us.
my interview is scheduled for 3rd jan. i am very nervous. please help me . for the following steps:
1) how to approach writing for the topic on 100 words. i came across few words which are not very good to express. Also, how well it should be organised??? i am a techie... poor vocab. what if i come across a word i dont know the meaning of the word
2)after writing next step- when you enter the room for interview --- what you all suggest a) should nod or a shakehand b) should i wait for them to introduce themselve... then wish them? c) a hello or formal good morning etc. is required???
pls. help me with your inputs. and give me genuine advice. response from all is invited to help me.
Regards, pls. help .... i am new to all this. and have never attended any formal interview.
My take: Regarding the topics, I think this is what ISB is looking at primarily: Given an unexpected situation, how well are you able to organize your thoughts. I do not think your superior (or inferior) vocabulary is going to give (or take away) anything in your advantage (or disadvantage). All you have to do is write gramatically correct sentences which make sense. (I think you should have had enough practice of this is GMAT AWA).
Typically people tend to get confused and nervous when they see an abstract topic (like ocean or strom). I would first relate these abstract topics to something concrete and take it from there. For instance, you can write about the ocean of opportunities in the IT sector, or the (political) storm that is brewing in Pak these days. Once you have something concrete, then it is always easy to apply yourself into it.
Hi Manoj, I think 'apprentice' was planning to organize this meet. He had PMed me about it sometime ago. (btw.. I am a R1 admit) However, lately I do not see much participation from him so probably he is occupied with something. You or any of the other R2 shortlisted folks can take the initiative and organize it!!
Cheers, Nirav
hi puys..i was trying to put it all together after the int calls recieved...however i had to be in delhi for the last week & might stay on this week too..since i m myself not sure abt my plans i was not pursuing it further..i had put in a post earlier..mayb ppl missed it..
however i do see a revived interest in the meet..so mayb somebody else can take the initiative & take it forward..just for the records..the following ppl have shown interest till date..
jawaharnr ( r1 admit)
man4kor
tar
email2anuj
bigloster
shweta_am
somebody plz take the baton now..i believe this weekend is a good time..if i m in blr..will surely join in...
Hi all, I had my interview on 29th dec. in Kolkata ....... the topic was 'enigma' ...... the interview started with my decision to leave Roorkee engineering and join Merchant Navy ..... next it was long discussion on leadership and team work and my leadership roles in merchant navy as Chief Officer..... Next we discussed about sethusamudram project (this topic i got in IIMA PGPX too) .... then why ISB and why now...... then i asked 3 quest. about ISB ...... and last ..... FEW WORDS OF ADVICE ..... WHICH THEY GIVE TO ALL APPLICANTS WITH HIGHER WORK EXPERIENCE ...... ISB DOESN'T GUARANTEE SUITABLE LATERAL PLACEMENTS TO ALL STUDENTS WITH HIGHER WORK EXPERIENCE ........ !!!!! ..... I WAS A BIT SHOCKED ..... BASICALLY TO BE MENTALLY PREPARED TO ACCEPT LOWER MANEGERIAL ROLES ...... OVERALL THE INTERVIEW WAS A DISCUSSION
hi puys..i was trying to put it all together after the int calls recieved...however i had to be in delhi for the last week & might stay on this week too..since i m myself not sure abt my plans i was not pursuing it further..i had put in a post earlier..mayb ppl missed it..
however i do see a revived interest in the meet..so mayb somebody else can take the initiative & take it forward..just for the records..the following ppl have shown interest till date..
jawaharnr ( r1 admit)
man4kor
tar
email2anuj
bigloster
shweta_am
somebody plz take the baton now..i believe this weekend is a good time..if i m in blr..will surely join in...
and a happy new yr to all
party safe!
Cheers! @
So can we all meet on saturday at 7 pm in front of Cauvery imporium on MG road. Any other sugession is most welcome.
I have gained a lot from this forum and would like to give back something. This is my interview experience. I will try to be as thorough as possible.
Background: Age 32 yrs 10th 65.5% 12th 70.8% mbbs 2001 55.6% 6 years medical work ex including 1 year in UK. various international medical certifications Presently working in my 25 bedded home hospital. GMAT 690/3.5
I reached the centre (sheraton hotel new delhi) at 8:45 am. There was one other candidate waiting at the centre, whose interview was at 9 am. At around 9:20 am, a person walked in and sat down next to me. We greeted each other and I found out that he was Dr. Rakesh, an alumni who would be taking my interview. We started discussing the present plight of doctors in UK. 9:25 am: 100 word essay on word: ERUDITE. I had no clue what the word meant. I requested Dr. Rakesh if I could exchange the word for some other. He asked the person distributing the papers for another word. Since it could not be changed, he offered to help me with the meaning. He offered me his laptop to check the meaning on dictionary.com. By that time, I had already checked it on the computer in front of me.(it was a computer centre where we were sitting). I thanked him and i proceeded with the essay for about 10-12 minutes.
9:40 am: was taken to the 7th floor for the interview. This was Panel 3. I was greeted by Mr. Ranga Rao. I was a little nervous on seeing him and blurted out "Dean of ISB?". He promptly corrected me that he was the director of admissions. We shook hands and we took our seats. 2 people on interview panel: Mr. Ranga Rao and Dr. Rakesh.
It was a formal discussion and so it is difficult to write what were the exact questions but I will try. 1. How MBA? 2. What are the problems faced at your small nursing home? I was at a loss at this question as the problems we face in a small hospital are very different from any other industry and I had not prepared a diplomatic answer to this question. I said that "I am not sure how appropriate the answer is at the isb table but major problems are with workers and with patients not wanting to pay, even if they have the ability to pay" I just hope they do not take unkindly to this. 3. How do I know that a patient will pay or not?? Again, I did not have a diplomatic answer to this question but muddled through somehow. 4. I see one of your recommendations from Dr. XYZ. Why did you join that organisation and leave your own for 8 months. I told them of what I had learned in UK and in this corporate hospital and discussed evidence based medicine. 5. why did u go to UK and not the USA for higher studies? 6. why did u come back from UK? 7. Tell us your life story. ( this was asked at this juncture of interview) 8. Dr. Rakesh then told me that doctors are individualistic and egotistical and not good team players. How do I fit in? I told them honestly that was true of me till 2003, when I went to UK and faced a lot of problems. A british doctor literally spoon fed me into the team working arena and that I am really thankful to him. 9. How do I perceive individualistic attitude? a bane or boon? I could have answered this question a lot better if i had about 2 minutes to think. I was not very convincing. I know that these interviewers are very observative and intelligent people and so I told them the truth. Lets hope they take it at face value. 10. I asked 1s question as to how they place doctors. 11. I ask 2nd question as to how to contact dr. harsha, a doctor who had practised medicine for 3 years before joining isb. I was provided with the contact details. 12. we shook hands and they wished me ATB. 13. I left the centre. at 10:22 am
Total interview time : 40 minutes.
This was my first interview outside of medicine. I am not sure how i did on this occasion and would like any inputs from the seniors. The feeling that I could have done better is an understatement. Even I am not convinced with my own answers in Q2 and Q3.
Please feel free to give me constructive criticism so that I can improve my performance.
That sounds like a pretty cool interview.. I think you fared pretty well- based on what you have written here.. No need to fret.. 15th Feb wil tell it all..
Just one advice- There are certain questions (what I like to call the TEMPLATE type questions), like Why MBA, How do u manage your Hospital, and more questions about ur hospital again- because u an MBBS with a private practise.. It will be a good idea to write down the asnwers to these questions.. There is no diplomatic right or wrong answers.. But just jot down the points that you think you should touch upon or would surely like to tell them.. This will help you remember those points during the actual interview and u wont have to fish for words.. and it also makes you look more confident and prepared..
The only flaw i cud see in ur interview was that u sound like u were not prepared for it..
But overal i think it was good and u have no coz for worry..
i understand i am a novice in this field, but i guess i have done enough research on ISB and its admission processes to write this post..
Lately i have been seeing a lot of anguish from people who have high Gmat scores and amazing work-ex who have not been called for an I/V or been rejected after an I/V
The primary reasons that i see are..
1) Some of you may have a high G-mat but a badly compiled essay
2) Some people may have glorified their essays which may be really far from reality. The Adcom guys are used to such practises and can get your real intention in the interview.
3) Finally, guys with great Gmat and amazing extra curr and wonderful work-ex, you are discounting the fact that there may be someone whos done one better than you... All applications are considered relatively. None of them on a stand alone basis. That means your applications are weighed against others' app (with the same work-ex and gmat and blah blah blah), and the better one wins
My Stats: M35/710/workex 11 yrs (Shipping / Upstream Oil Industry) Had my interview in Delhi 16:00 hrs with Panel 3 Conducted by Director of admissions Mr. Ranga Rao and one Alum.
1. Cross checked my workex. 2. My change from Shipping to Upstream Oil Industry. Lots of cross questioning... 3. Why MBA 4. Oil and future of oil. Is the price USD 100/bbl justified. Price of Oil 1 yr from now. (If I knew I wud be running a Hedge fund...:) ) 5. India energy reliance on imported oil, will India be self sufficient? 6. Alternate forms of energy for India. 7. Expectations after MBA. . (I said None.. Am not looking for job, I already have one, am looking for best education in India... π ) Mr. Rao said that I am a candidate with Senior profile and in a very niche category, he will write my comment about job on my application. He then mutterred that one should know that ISB is not a magic wand ... at this point he checked himself and changed the topic... 8. Which companies do you think will value your experience and MBA... (Chevron, Shell....) 9. Any questions?
Overall very specific interview, nothing from essays.
Was kicking myself on leaving out my experience in reducing 'Carbon footprint' and other stuff related to Greenhouse gases and global warming...
Interview was very cool, both the interviewers showed a lot of interest and many a times they stopped me and asked to explain some technical terms, I even drew a diagram explaining the oil - water separation procedure.
Overall very interactive discussion rather than an Interview.