Information about IBM Global Services.

Hi! I’ve got an on campus job offer with IBM Global Services India Pvt Ltd. as well as TCS. Although I have some idea aboout the latter , I really don’t know much about the former as regards to job profile , what I’ll be working on, CAT ka sc…

Hi!

I've got an on campus job offer with IBM Global Services India Pvt Ltd. as well as TCS. Although I have some idea aboout the latter , I really don't know much about the former as regards to job profile , what I'll be working on, CAT ka scene etc.

If someone has any idea about IBM Global services or knows somebody who does , I would be really grateful if you could tell me.

Thanx.

Ciao
Varun 😁

I don't know if he checks PG anymore, but good ol' Garfield a.k.a Praveen is in IGS. You can send him an IM. Incase he doesnt respond, IM me, I will give his email id.

Arun

Even Gurav kathotia a.k.a Gkathotia (of Gaurav section fame) worked in IBM for one year before making it to XLRI 😁
IBM is better choice anyday as compared to TCS

hi there varun!

i have also the same two offers in hand as yours and it seems i also don't know much abt IGSI...............lets see how this thread helps us

P.S : pm me we should get to know each other

suraj

Hi
Go for Ibm.even experienced software engineers prefer Ibm over oth

Well I have an offer in IBM Global Sevice and Cognizant Technologies so if any of you guys know anything about these two companies than plz do pour in with your views.

Thanking you in advance
Rohit

Yeah Psychodementia is very much right...worked/working/will be working for IGSI for past 3.5 years!!

Seesh! Varun, Rohit777, Anonymous User - all fundoo making it to IBM! I should be raising my collar as I type now!!

I don't know if he checks PG anymore, but good ol' Garfield

I very well do! Just that the only thread I follow currently is "Who is Pagal Guy?"

Ok coming to the questions asked by Varun/Anonymous! :)

I really don't know much about the former as regards to job profile

Well see most of stuff we do here is application development/maintenance work. There are 2-3 departments that do product maintenance too (heard abt OS2? or Lotus Smart Suite (like MS Office) or WebSphere? they are maintained in India!) ....but highly likely that u will be put into application deve/maintenance!

Offices are in Bangalore (Main Hub), Pune and Gurgaon....Kolkata is newest but its PWC tunred into IBM 😃

Technologies are C/C++/UNIX/JAVA (
Some of benefits are:
1. Very flexi timing...:)
2. They send u to freq tech trainings (external conduted by NIIT etc)
3. BRAND!
4. Depending on your lock you will surely endup in 1 or more onsite trips in first two years! But no long term trips...atleast thats how it is right now. :)
5. Pay wise slighlty above indus. avg...better than Infy /Wipro 😃 but lesser than small companies that pay big bucks to attract talent.
6. No ITPL/ATPL or E-CITY Offices are inside city ..so no early mornings and no busses!!

Only minus point i can think is the company has grown tooo BIG...when i joined there were hardly 5000 ppl...now we lost count! So sometimes you feel like lost in crowd but its same elsewhere too!

All said & done I have no idea abt TCS but for that they send folks to onsite 2-3 years at a strecch..so i cant give a comparison! 😃

HTH,
Praveen

Hi,

I think Praveen has covered pretty much everything there is to say about IBM, but here's my $0.02 anyways ...

I have no idea about TCS, so can't really do a comparitive analysis of the two...taking IBM independently, I would say it's a pretty good place to work in. In terms of job profile and area you would be working it, it's pretty much like any other services company. You can get great work, you can get lousy work, it all depends on the division and project you're in and the client you're working for. It's quite a crapshoot...theory abounds that there's this random number generator that decides where you end up working, but that's another story ;).

As for the CAT scene, I assume you're asking about the workload. Again depends on your project, how seriously you want to prep and how you manage your time. I would say that most people have a pretty balanced work load, and as Praveen mentioned, no long bus journeys, so more prep time.

Adding to Praveen's point about brand, I would say that this is the single biggest plus. IBM has pretty good brand while apping, both here as well as for US apps. I've already been asked in 4 of my interviews as to why I wanted to leave IBM. Little do they know ;)...

If you have any other questions, would be glad to be of help...

Regards,
Mansur

hey thanks for all the help and it seems every time i am in trouble praveen helps me out ..............
another question that i want to know is that where is the training ............ i have heard that IGSI gives training in bangalore and then they place u at either of the 4 centeres............and is choosing of the centers in our hand

and yes one more question ...... is there any possibility of jump from IGSI to IBM india may be in the long run or something like that

suraj

thanks praveen for all the help........though i haven't still received the joining letter i am praying that they put me in bangalore itself .....

suraj

Hi!

Thank you very much for all that information, praveen and Iceman.

If i have any additional queries, I'll IM either of you.

Thanx very much again.Really appreciated.

Ciao
Varun 😁

O.K so you guys need info about TCS ..I have been with TCS for 5.5 yrs now :shock: :shock: :shock: ..I know ..I know ..that's what most of guys would feel

Here's my take

BRAND :- Need I say anything , though globally there's no comparison between TCS & IBM

Job Profile : PURE LUCK . You'll be one in 30,000 . For freshers, as they don't have much choice they normally land up in a place where they don't want to be in .

Onsite chances : Again, PURE LUCK . Your's truly has been to US/Europe for 2.5 yrs approx but long term assignment for freshers - well you can forget it ..but you might be lucky to scrape thru 1-2 month long assignments in couple of years

Workload : Part LUCK. I have seen people slogging 6/7 days a week for months ..but normally workload isn't high for freshers (TCS is a 30,000 emp company ..so no generalizations !!)

Pay : Decent for a company of this size . Atleast they pay what they claim.

Hope this helps

Lemme know if you need any other info

Sanju

O.K so you guys need info about TCS ..I have been with TCS for 5.5 yrs now :shock: :shock: :shock: ..I know ..I know ..that's what most of guys would feel

Here's my take

BRAND :- Need I say anything , though globally there's no comparison between TCS & IBM

Job Profile : PURE LUCK . You'll be one in 30,000 . For freshers, as they don't have much choice they normally land up in a place where they don't want to be in .

Onsite chances : Again, PURE LUCK . Your's truly has been to US/Europe for 2.5 yrs approx but long term assignment for freshers - well you can forget it ..but you might be lucky to scrape thru 1-2 month long assignments in couple of years

Workload : Part LUCK. I have seen people slogging 6/7 days a week for months ..but normally workload isn't high for freshers (TCS is a 30,000 emp company ..so no generalizations !!)

Pay : Decent for a company of this size . Atleast they pay what they claim.

Hope this helps

Lemme know if you need any other info

Sanju

Hi Sanju,

I am a fresher.. n I just got placed in TCS.... I h've to join in July..
At my SP JAIN interview.. the panel asked me.. . "since u'r placed in TCS , why do u want to do an MBA?" .. I said.. stuff like.. better position, managerial job, .. better understanding of the business perspective..
but they said.." if u get an experience of 2 yrs at TCS, u'r gonna learn all that u mentioned.. still.. why MBA?"
I was dumb..
SO,.. is it really true that 2 yrs at TCS will equip me with all these..?
Another question..
If I crack the CAT this yr.. will my work ex count.. ( remember i'll be joining in July and undergoing my training..)

anupam.

Hi guys,

I am preparing for CAT 04 . I have a campus offer from IBM India (India Software labs).
Do any of u know abt this division, the job profile, workload etc ?

I will be thankful if u cud help me out.

One year later

Hi friends...

I am in final year of engg and gave CAT this year (95 %ile ). But unfortunately didnt get the college of my choice so i have no option but to go to the one of the two comapnies i have been selected in campus placements.

Please help me decide which copmany to join TCS paying me 2.14 lpa and IBM 2.5 lpa ( IBM's posting will be in Gurgaon Delhi). i am also giving the CAT 2005 so one of the basis of the decesion will also be the company whose atomsphere is more conducive to CAT prep. Also since i plan to do MBA int next 1 or 2 or at the max 3 yr (untill and unless something dramatic happens and forces me to drop the MBA plan altoghter) i want a company which will be more suitable for me in short term.

Thanks in anticipation..

One year later and I am still around to answer abt IBM!

Well Anuj! I dont know much about TCS but I can vouch that when you are in IBM you get ample ample time for CAT prepz n other things.

We have flexi- timings here and so no one cares when u come & go as long as u do ur work in given time. :)

So IBM is defly not a bd choice. Abt choice of projects/work etc - its not in our hands! All luck!

HTH!

regards,
Praveen

Well thanks praveen....

i have heard that it is all maintenance and worthless part here in gurgaon and whatever of importance happens, it happens in Banglore.... So one wouldnt get good projects in Gurgaon... Is it true???

And what about onsite opputunities as of now....

anuj

Praveen Says
One year later and I am still around to answer abt IBM!

I knew that, thats why directed the query to this thread and i knew sanju baba too is still around...And who better guys to answer such queries

Cheers