IIM Lucknow GD PI Experience 2007

Hello ppl, had my GD PI in kolkata on 30th jan… posting my experience here… Time alloted 2:00 pm Panel - II Reporting Time - 1:45 pm Reached by 1:00 pm to IIM Calcutta GD started around 2:30 pm… topic was "A permanant seat …

Hello ppl,
had my GD PI in kolkata on 30th jan.... posting my experience here....

Time alloted 2:00 pm
Panel - II
Reporting Time - 1:45 pm
Reached by 1:00 pm to IIM Calcutta
GD started around 2:30 pm.... topic was "A permanant seat in the UN Security Council is neither necessary nor sufficient for India to become to a world power". No of ppl in group - 8
The method was rather peculiar... we were given a sheet of paper with ruled lines and asked to write on it for 10 mins... and on completion of 10 minutes... they took the paper and gave 15 mins to discuss.... discussion was pretty cool... no fish market....
my friend had his gd on 29th (number of ppl varied from 8 to 9).... they had a different procedure... each was given a paper... asked to write points... then asked to deliver an extempore on the same topic for 1 min each... and then 15 mins for discussion.... really boring... eeh.... they had their points all exhausted within 10 mins.... and then it was a drag....

then we waited for the PI.... mine was 6th number.... and 5 ppl before me were from either commerce or economics background... i was the first of 2 enggs.... my branch comp. science.... other one bio tech... and the one remaining was from merchant navy....
my pi was a stress interview... first thing they asked me to intro myself.... as soon as i started... spoke a couple of lines... one of the panelist interrupted looking at my data form.... (12th class marks were 64.4 as compared to 93.2 in 10th).... so asked me abt the marks dip... and joked whether i had an affair that year or what.... my answer blah blah... ok... continue with intro.... came to college part... (RIT, Raipur).... the other panelist interrupted... RIT??... is there an NIT in Raipur...... me:... yes sir, there is an NIT as well.... mine is RIT... etc etc... )... intro stopped....

colloqualism at its best...... next thing they asked.... aab tumse kya pooche.... i was dumb founded..... they came to acads... how do u rate ur self in acads...
me:... reasonably good sir
again the same question
again the same answer....

ok... questions on complexity of algos...
answer : blah blah
counter questions...
answers: blah blah blah

ok... questions on software development life cycle....
answers:... blah blah
counter questions and answers again

then question on correlation and regression....
answer: sorry sir, havent studied correlation
first panelist (from quant backgound... atleast 60 yrs old... i think u'll get how he was...) : what???..... no stats... how come.... havent u studied digital signal processing...
answer.... : NOOO

ok.... let me look at ur file... what r the subjects...
answer (opening file and giving to him... nervous like hell)

meanwhile questions from current affairs from other panelist... (DAVOS??)
answer: blah blah

the quant guy picks up Operational Research... and i'm screwed....
question: what is OR??
answer: blah blah

Explain Simplex Method (I had mentioned simplex method in the blah blah)
Answer: (no response.... then.... trying to recollect sir...)

ok... what is EOQ??
ans.... : ?????? Order Quantity....
screwed again

comments like... u having all six iim calls???
no sir... only from iim lucknow and kozhikode....
and hmm... didnt get from indore... thats strange....
came twice each.... (they test ur nerves allright)

more questions...
what is data mining?
ans: blah blah
what is data warehousing??
ans: blah blah

last question: this model... what kind of inventory??
ans: live inventory (does this kind of inventory exist??)

ok... thank you... u may go now... thank you sir
all the best... thank you sir

this was a complete saga....
how do seniors think i fared in it??

others who had their PI in kolkata... also post yaar...

Profile:
Acads
X - 93.2%
XII - 64.4%
Undergrad - 7.91/10 (till 6th sem)

Work Ex - NIL

CAT
DI - 99.46
QA - 97.29
VA - 93.72
Aggregate - 99.37

Special Thing .... hmm... got AIR 2 in JMET and NMAT... but i guess it doesnt count much in IIMs....

Thanks vivek..i just have the L call so ur post really helped me..

i have cple of doubts can some1 clarify

1..L used to give abstract topics rite?tats wat i inferred frm last years posts..can u post the gd topics tat were given in kolkata

2.how many ppl for interview..absolute tech interiview?? no hr interiview?? wat abt the usual qns y mba and all?

Mathew

frnds we already hv a thread running for IIM-L gd/pi experience for this year...so plz continue here

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-l-gdpi-experience-for-cat-2006-25020821

strange..but this thread was there on the 3rd page :confused: :neutral:

atb to all puys :thumbsup:

@ mods close this thread and if possible merge this with the other one..

@ Vivek, can u edit the post to include ur profile also in the format..

PROFILE:

Acads:
X
XII
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age

Work-Ex:
NIL/Sector - Number of Years - Country

CAT %ile:
DI
Quant
Verbal
Aggregate

Any other special thing abt u:

thread already exist...mods close it

frnds we already hv a thread running for IIM-L gd/pi experience for this year...so plz continue here

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iim-l-gdpi-experience-for-cat-2006-25020821

strange..but this thread was there on the 3rd page :confused: :neutral:

atb to all puys :thumbsup:

sorry.... didnt know this thread existed... tried to look it up... but as you said... it was on the 3rd page... mods... if u can merge this thread... it wud be better....
Thanks vivek..i just have the L call so ur post really helped me..

i have cple of doubts can some1 clarify

1..L used to give abstract topics rite?tats wat i inferred frm last years posts..can u post the gd topics tat were given in kolkata

2.how many ppl for interview..absolute tech interiview?? no hr interiview?? wat abt the usual qns y mba and all?

Mathew

I know only two topics... my group and everyone that day got "A permanant seat in the UN Security Council is neither nessesary nor sufficient for India to become a world power"...
and the day before it was something like..."It is becoming dangerous to live in a Unipolar World"

My interview was mostly technical... and those in my panel also mostly abt acads... my friend who had it a day before had a very light interview... very peripheral questions in acads.... and no HR... no questions like why MBA