IIM-L GDPI Experience for CAT 2006

115 Posts  ·  64 Users
About this group
Hey guyz... i dunno why this post has not started as yet.. or maybe it has but i am unable to locate the link. anyways we had our IIM-L interview today in calcutta... it was good for me... topic of GD was Life has become dangerous in this UNIPOLAR...
Page 1 of 12

Posting after results but nevertheless might be useful for next yr's batch.
Profile :
X- MP board 86.2 ( with 100 in maths & 99 in science)
XII - MP Board 84.66
B TEch in electrical & M tech in Instrumentation & minor in ECE from IIT KGP - 7.83/10 ( 2006)
Working with L&T; since June 2006 as Mangment Trainee. Executive assistant to GM

15 April - Hotel Monarch - Panel 3 - Morning session

Reached Just in time after Auto whcih I took did not know where the Hotel Monarch was.( I was staying with a friend in Indiranagar).

There were people for four panels.Seemed like Mela.

GD topic: In business situation Rearview mirror is clearer than frontview.
mirror
5 minutes to write your thoughts before GD. Did a good job as this was a repeat topic ( thanks pagalguy). Mentioned some real incident from my worklife.

10 minutes for discussion. One very loud fellow jumped the gun & he kept on interferring with everyone like but we should not forget. After a time it was repetion & people starte talking aobut mangment books & theories.
Came twice or thrice tried to support guys who could speak less. Becoz of this bully some other people also got agitated & whole GD was destroyed but here my work expereince came to my rescue & i made only orginal points & otherwise kept mum.Tried to stick to what I had written in sheet already.

Interview : 9th guy to be interviewed so long wait. APnel 1 was very fast & they had finsihed when 7th candidate was being interviewed in ours. while panle 2 was slowest .Ours was okay.

When entered was asked to latch the door .
two people : P1 I guess Mr Panigrahi who is MTEch in agri from IIT KGP.
other fellow I did not get time to see his face as he was engrossed with my certis.
P1: U r from indore why it is famous?
I told aobut Indore being Namkin capital & potential as iinvestment hub .Why not developed & then
P1;who are NRI & PIOs?
A sequel to first question as when I told him aobut destination of Indore's namkeen exports.
P1: who is Vindod Gupta? About VGSOM? Why is KGP famous?
I said railway staiton , IIT , Air bases nearby , Tata bearing factory but he kept on asking anytihng else .Seems was trying to stress me out.
P1: difference between B Tech & BE?
once agian tried to stress me.
Then they started looking for some mangment course which I had taken.Zeroed on Human behaviour In organsiation.How it is different form organisation behaviour?
First I said they are same ,then said no & tried to justify.
P1: ( sequel to earlier question) what is tactic? what is strategy? are they same ? & endless stream of quaetions but I stood my ground after giving one opinion.
P1: u r with Medical SBU.why it is called SBU? how it si different from OD?
Gave him good funda aobut L&T; organisation structure but gave wrong answer as to why we switched to SBU model.

P2: first time looks out of my certificates .So waht is nature of your work?
I promptly put forward my work exp certificate detailing my responsibilites.
( it was helpful though they did not ask for one)
Then said you are anyway doing what we wil lteach you or what you will do after MBA?
I gave usual gyan & pitched in with example of one M&A; 😃 study I had done at workpalce.

I nhindsight Ithink Lgive mroe importance to your profile & percentile astheir form si also very short which does not tell anything aobut you.

PS: I made it to L finally.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

GD same as subodh....naxalisn....@subodh...r u sure ur gd was today on 24th .... i mean topic repeat??

@subodh.....were u in my panel..panel I 2 pm iift

Yups, Mine was on 23rd.. Not Panel 1 however.

Actually I wrongly mentioned it as today.. Sorry for that...:satisfie:

My L interview on 23rd at iift delhi

GD same as subodh....naxalisn....@subodh...r u sure ur gd was today on 24th .... i mean topic repeat??

interview again was something same panel one lady and a prof

and wat else all the same questions too.....starting frm requisites.....tell abt urself......discussion about favourite subjects.....discussion about hobbies.......discussion about maths.....then they said ok tell us if we had left smthing.....i told about smthing xtra curricular.......2 mins diiscussion on that..........then ok thanks........

sorry i cudnt elaborate all because they are same as subodh has written..........

@subodh.....were u in my panel..panel I 2 pm iift

I had my Lucknow GD/PI in Delhi today..
Verdict: Almost a Convert..

Awesome i/v man..
It is certainly a convert !!!

I had my Lucknow GD/PI in Delhi today..

GD - Naxalism is a symptom of soft Indian state.
Started the GD.. Average+ Performance.

PI -

Panel - A very cordial Lady Professor, A middle aged Male Professor

1. You have all the requisites - call letter, admit card, etc.
I had misplaced the Call Letter. So a little bit of explaining.

2. Tell me abt yourself.

Started with Work-Ex. Then undergrads. Decision to pursue an MBA after 2 years. Then family. Father, Mother, Brother. Sis's Medical College. Hometown and then wrapped up.

A bit of cross-questioning.

3. Discussion on favourite subjects
Breakeven point. TFC. TVC. Fumbled a bit while drawing graphs. Small doubts being raised and answered.

4. Discussion on Academic Record.
Answered Satisfactorily.

5. Discussion on my Interests.
Answered.. Questions on the vast range of Vocab I had used in one of the short stories. Answeres and subsequent quetions on how ur hobbies have helped urself being groomed for a management career.

6. Discussion on My CAT %iles, Verbal %ile and other IIM calls and why I did not give CAT previously.
Very impressed by my answers.

7. Discussion on Why I want to do an MBA leaving good prospects in my current career.
Answered that there is ceiling at General Manager Level. So, anyways, I will have to do an MBA after 10 years and I might not be in the best frame of mind then.. Right now, I am in the best frame of mind for pursuing further education..

8. Thank you and pleasantries..

Verdict: Almost a Convert..

My L GD/PI experience is as follows... know that its a bit to late but still anyways... and this post has been copied as from my blog so haven't made too many changes...

The normal bustle before the whole process gradually build up.... with almost all the candidates reaching by 9:45... did talk to a few other candidates... met quite a few of the people that I already knew... interviews are strange after attending 2 you start seeing a lot of familiar faces in the whole group...

At around 10:00 one professor from each panel trooped in and took a roll call... a few people were absent though... then we were asked to assemble in our respective rooms...

The process was finally going to start... was given the preliminary instructions for the GD... then one of the panelists gave us the topic... it was something like this...

"Freedom is freedom to speak 2 + 2 = 4. If that is given everything else will follow."

First we were given a handout to write an essay on the topic... and were given around 10 mins for the same... wrote a decent essay... covering both the sides of it...

The discussion was a real fish market... with one person in the group of 11 trying to hog the bulk of the AirTime... but anyways did manage to get in few decent points and some uninterrupted AirTime... in all the GD could have been a lot more better if the members of the group had cooperated a bit more... I sometimes feel that guys just don't learn that it does not pay to hog the AirTime...

One small detail that I left was that the panelist got a bit worked up that I was trying to write the topic on a separate piece of paper for further use during the GD... I politely said that Sir thats what I usually do... and that if it was a problem I will keep the paper aside...

Now onto the PI's I was 7th to go in... the guys before me all had had really short and sweet interviews with nothing much asked about personal goals and aspirations...

Finally my name was called in... I enter the room... wish both the panelists (P1 and P2)Good Morning... and sit down when I was asked to sit down...

I hand over my certificates to one of the Panelists(P2) and he starts going through all of them one by one...

And lo the interview starts...

P1 : So GM where are you right now...
Me : Sir am working in Pune right now...

P1 : For which Company...
Me : Sir HSBC Software Development...

P1 : So where all does HSBC have a presence in India...
Me : TOld them that HSBC has its main offices in Mumbai... then all the metroes... Pune...

(The panelists then had a discussion whether HSBC has a branch in Pune)

P1 : You know after an MBA people try to get a placement in HSBC... you already have it... then why do you want to leave it...
Me : Sir am into Software Development and I would like to diversify into a much more proactive role... and all the gyaan followed...

Around this time the glass that was kept on the table fell down with a nice crash... picked up a few pieces and kept them back on the table... at this jusncture I think the interview was handed over to P2...

P2 : GM so you are from Kerala...
Me : Yes Sir

P2 : GM if I give you some money where will you like to invest the same
in Kerala...
Me : Laid some ground about the problems in Kerala and then told him that Sir most probably in Cochin as its a growing city and there is a lot of scope for growth...

P2 : Why not invest in Idukki...
Me : Sir the advantage with Cochin is that I will have an opportunity to grow faster... and plus the growth in Cochin will definitely filter down to Idukki... on the other hand investing in Idukki will be risky because of the lack of infrastructure...

P2 looks at P1...
Both : Thank you, you may leave

Me : Good Day sirs...

Pick up my files and leave...

So that's it a really short interview... nothing bad about it at all... but nothing much to it too... dont know what was being judged here... lets see am keeping my fingers crossed for this one too...

Last phase of IIM-L interviews started on 20th March, and still we have no posts on GD/PI experiences. :-(

Come on participants, share ur experiences and help us ppl.

jods Says
A friend of mine in Delhi is having her interview on 4th April.

4th april ??? :wow:

Has IIM L called 3000-4000 ppl for GD PI this time ????
IIML started on January 29 and going beyond April 3.. Isnt that too long as compared to the other IIMs, especially C.....
So kam se kam 15 days more for the result...

well it is posten on other thread, generally results come out on the next day of the last interview for all the IIMs...like last year last interview of IIMB was on 11th April and the results were out on 12th...this year IIMI also has some interviews running in first week of April, so we can hope results come out by second week, anyway CAT brochure saying results to come out on 12th April...though yes, it's a long wait, and more painful when I dont feel like doin anything else 😞

IIML started on January 29 and going beyond April 3.. Isnt that too long as compared to the other IIMs, especially C.....
So kam se kam 15 days more for the result...