IIM Calcutta - PGPEX VII- Admission process and Beyond

Hi All I am starting this thread for discussion on the admission / interview process for PGPEX 7 . Please carry out any discussion regarding the same in this thread :: . Me and others in my batch will try to help you out to the best of our abi…

Hi All
I am starting this thread for discussion on the admission / interview process for PGPEX 7 . Please carry out any discussion regarding the same in this thread . Me and others in my batch will try to help you out to the best of our abilities

Regards

Subrata :cheers:

P.S. Please do not ask for profile evaluations , I think only the IIM C faculty and those who evaluate the applications can comment on that . Thank you for understanding

Hi Subrata,

congrats !!

I intend to appear for the PGPEX VII.. but have no idea how to prepare or key steps towards admission.
I have 6 yrs exp in Human resource consulting
Academics:Average..Have not appeared for GMAT yet..

Any suggestion on how should I begin ..

Regards, Durgesh

Hi Subrata,

congrats !!

I intend to appear for the PGPEX VII.. but have no idea how to prepare or key steps towards admission.
I have 6 yrs exp in Human resource consulting
Academics:Average..Have not appeared for GMAT yet..

Any suggestion on how should I begin ..

Regards, Durgesh

Hi Durgesh
The first thing you need to do is register at mba dotcom for the Gmat test . Buy yourself an Ofiicial Guide and start prepping . The following link should give you some idea. It is my GMAT prepping experience

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gmat-730-q49-v-40-gmat-the-cat-way-25065770

The IIM C application process , starts somewhere in May-Jun and ended last year on Aug 31st . So you have 6 months to give exams and submit your application .:clap:. Also do go through the thread for PGPEX 6 to understand a bit more about the application process

Best of Luck
Subrata

ps I am not an official student of PGPEX yet. Our classes start only in April . So till that time any official questions will have to be passed on to our seniors . However any other questions are welcome

many thanks Subrata.. the suggested thread is very helpful.. Thanks for the support.. Kind regards, Durgesh

Hey Subrata, Congrats...plz see my profile and let me know wat else i can do...

workexp: 5 year by june 2012 in Pharmaceutical business, acads:average all in mid 70s
extracurricular:won comptetion at IIT D,TSI maths and chemistry olympiad ,working for NGO also and now setting up school for orphan child.

wat GMAT score do u think save for me atleast to get call from IIM C.

Hey Subrata, Congrats...plz see my profile and let me know wat else i can do...

workexp: 5 year by june 2012 in Pharmaceutical business, acads:average all in mid 70s
extracurricular:won comptetion at IIT D,TSI maths and chemistry olympiad ,working for NGO also and now setting up school for orphan child.

wat GMAT score do u think save for me atleast to get call from IIM C.

Hi Sauvat ,

Please do not ask for something that I cannot do(Profile Evaluation) . I myself am not aware of the various nuances that the IIM C faculty/interviewers look for in a potential candidate. I just happened to be one of the lucky few who got through .

But what I can tell you is that the Average GMAT for IIM C PGPEX is quite high (Close to 720) . So do aim for a higher GMAT , that will always hold u in good stead . And be sure to mention ur achievements and properly highlight them. Being from a non IT background can be advantageous if highlighted properly. However since you are having just 5 years of exp , be very thorough in your essays , so that u stand a chance in the melee of people with higher experience

Hi Subrata,

Thanks for creating this thread!!

I wil not be asking for profile evaluation , but my question is ->
what extracurricular they expect from a 5 years of experience guy?

Has it to be necessarily sports OR Social Service?
Do a couple of business certifications be considered as extra curricular ?

Thanks and Regards,
Mahtab Md.

Hi Subrata,

Thanks for creating this thread!!

I wil not be asking for profile evaluation , but my question is ->
what extracurricular they expect from a 5 years of experience guy?

Has it to be necessarily sports OR Social Service?
Do a couple of business certifications be considered as extra curricular ?

Thanks and Regards,
Mahtab Md.

Hi Mahtab
Extra curricular need not necessarily be sports or social service , though a lot of candidates , who do extra currics specifically for MBA (no pun intended here ) , go by the herd mentality and get themselves enrolled in one of the many NGOs just to get a certificate (no offence intended here for the real NGO workers ) . However , extra currics can be anything . By definition Extra-curricular activity means something outside of the regular course that people do (that being defined as co-curricular activity :sneaky:). So anything ranging from playing Guitar , to sports , to NGO , quizzing to gardening and cooking can be termed as extra-curricular activity. Basically anything and everything that is not a part of your academic or daily work life . E.g. cooking would not be considered as an extracurricular activity for a 5 star chef , but it can be one for a regular SW engg . However be true to yourself and mention extra-currics only if you have one :nono:. Do not try to cook up an extra-currics just for the sake of an MBA :nono: . The professors are highly knowledgeable and will catch up if they sense that whatever is cooking is fishy

XLRI this time actually came up with a guideline asking people not to cook up a hobby just for the sake of the course :nono:
XLRI Jamshedpur urges shortlisted candidates not to cook up hobbies to please the admissions committee | PaGaLGuY.com - India's biggest website for MBA in India, International MBA, CAT, XAT, SNAP, MAT

Hope that clarifies things

Warm Regards

Subrata

Thanks a lot for the explaination , Subrata!!

Hi Subrata,

Can u pls tell that from when is the window going to open for PGPEX app for next year ???

Hi Subrata,

Can u pls tell that from when is the window going to open for PGPEX app for next year ???

Hi Guru ,

Please refer to this link ....this will give you a fair idea of the schedule for last year ....it will be a similar one I guess for this year too

Admission Schedule | Programs

Regards

Subrata

Hi Subrata,

Thanks for clearing a query last time, I have this below query:

I need to know about the no: of applications IIM Calcutta receives every year, so to analyse how is the competetion like for PGPEX IIM Cal.

Thanks and Regards,
Mahtab Md.

Hi Subrata,

Thanks for clearing a query last time, I have this below query:

I need to know about the no: of applications IIM Calcutta receives every year, so to analyse how is the competetion like for PGPEX IIM Cal.

Thanks and Regards,
Mahtab Md.

Hi Mahtab

I am not exactly sure of the exact number of applicants , but this is certain that the level of competition for IIM C is very high . IIM C is a world class institution , and the candidates vying for it are also of a similar level. The average GMAT level for IIM C for our year was 717 , with a high of 770 and a low of 680 . So be prepared to be highly competitive

Best of Luck
Subrata

p.s. I will soon stop answering from my own pg id as we do have an official id and our batch mates will take over (though I will still be a part of this initiative )
Hi Mahtab

I am not exactly sure of the exact number of applicants , but this is certain that the level of competition for IIM C is very high . IIM C is a world class institution , and the candidates vying for it are also of a similar level. The average GMAT level for IIM C for our year was 717 , with a high of 770 and a low of 680 . So be prepared to be highly competitive

Best of Luck
Subrata

p.s. I will soon stop answering from my own pg id as we do have an official id and our batch mates will take over (though I will still be a part of this initiative )

Hi Guys

This is the official team from PGPEX 6. From now on we will take over from Subrata and will be the ones answering your questions . So keep posting your queries.

Thanks and Regards

PGPEX 6 Team
IIM Calcutta

Hi,Someone pls provide honest feedback on my profile below,
10th - 84%
12th - 88%
Btech - 74%(Madras Univ)
Work Exp - (11 + years as of now)
Domain - Engineering Services but as an employee of and Indian IT company(Have worked with many top tier automotive and Off highway vehicles manufacturers. )
Int' Work Exp - 4 + years as of now and will surely have 5 by the time I join. I have worked both in Europe and North America as a consultant and also as presales support. Was also the primary representative of my company in a major initiative of Automotive sector.
GMAT - 700 ( only attempt).I can prolly increase the score by 20-30 pts if it helps. Any thots on this would help.
EC -Have been involved in sports in my school and college. Also initiated a development of a school in India by raising funds when I was in Europe.
Accolades at work and job progression good.

Is this profile good enuf to apply in IIM A. Pls advice. Also can someone provide the link of the spreadsheet with details of applicants for last year. Thanks

only GMAT score been taken or CAT 2012 score too ???
Last GMAT score (i.e. august ) taken For admission is ???

Hello Prospective Applicants

I will list all the links you can go through to get information about the IIMC PGPEX program.

The admission timeline for PGPEX VII is out at:
Admission Schedule Programs

IIMC PGPEX Collaborative blog:
IIM Calcutta PGPex Times Collaborative blog of the IIMC PGPex fraternity
This blog will give you a glimpse about admissions, life @iimc and other miscellaneous thoughts penned down by the entire IIMC PGPEX students and alumni.

You could also find us on
FB: https://www.facebook.com/iimcpgpex
Twitter: https://twitter.com/iimcpgpex

Do your research well. All the best with your applications.

Hi,Someone pls provide honest feedback on my profile below,
10th - 84%
12th - 88%
Btech - 74%(Madras Univ)
Work Exp - (11 + years as of now)
Domain - Engineering Services but as an employee of and Indian IT company(Have worked with many top tier automotive and Off highway vehicles manufacturers. )
Int' Work Exp - 4 + years as of now and will surely have 5 by the time I join. I have worked both in Europe and North America as a consultant and also as presales support. Was also the primary representative of my company in a major initiative of Automotive sector.
GMAT - 700 ( only attempt).I can prolly increase the score by 20-30 pts if it helps. Any thots on this would help.
EC -Have been involved in sports in my school and college. Also initiated a development of a school in India by raising funds when I was in Europe.
Accolades at work and job progression good.

Is this profile good enuf to apply in IIM A. Pls advice. Also can someone provide the link of the spreadsheet with details of applicants for last year. Thanks

Dear Mithun

Please see the first post in this thread......we do not judge profiles here ........having said that .......if you are about to apply for IIM A and want your profile reviewed .....please post in the relevant forum for IIM A ......may be they can help......

Lastly we cannot publish the details of the applicants last year .............that data is not in public domain ......however the IIM C official website may come up with the summary of profiles for our batch sometimes soon .....

The details of GMAT score would be disclosed on the discretion of PGPEX office. The avg score usually ranges somewhere between 710-720.