IIM as fresher or work experience - Which is Better?

Hi, I’m a B.tech student currently in my 3rd year, and am planning to give CAT this year. (I started thinking of giving it fairly recently). I’m from Hyderabad. Here is my acad profile: 10th: 90% 12th: 73% B.Tech: 68-70% (…

Hi,

I'm a B.tech student currently in my 3rd year, and am planning to give CAT this year. (I started thinking of giving it fairly recently). I'm from Hyderabad.

Here is my acad profile:

10th: 90%

12th: 73%

B.Tech: 68-70% (Assuming I do well in the coming two sems)

(I'm a NON-IITian)

Do I stand a chance of making it to say... IIM-A or B given that I score well enough in the actual CAT exam?

And finally is it a more viable option to join an IIM WITH work experience rather than without? (Considering the recent trend in the IIM's in which freshers with no work experience are slowly being "elbowed" out of placements each year)

What is the pay-off one gets if one pursues an MBA from any of the IIM's immediately after graduation, in the long run? What are the placement opportunities for a fresher compared to someone with work experience?

Thank you in advance for any kind of suggestions or ideas...

Please do not open new threads for individual queries. Use the below thread

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/personal-career-cat-job-dilemma-queries-a-repository-25009670

Sorry... I'm new to PG, didn't know... Anyways, thanks!

Would you drive a 25 lakh BMW 3 series just after reading its manual without taking any practical lesson? before taking up a MBA from IIM A,B you should earn good workex or try to score 99.9999%ile.

I dont want to be mean , but looking at your acads with just 73% in 12th and 70% in Btech wont get you seat in any IIM ( as per CAT 2010 evaluation ) schedule if you're a fresher,

I am not faking, just look around and consider some cutoff criterias of IIMs ( ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZ). and you'll know what I am talking about.

To fulfill you IIM dream you should give it a shot only after 3-4 years of hefty workex ,it'll increase your score for second round evaluation and help you to clear cutoff.

I am a fresher myself and really pissed off at the IIM evaluation criteria that is being used this year . Meri baat maan yar fresher MBA is not a wrong thing even I m trying for that , but your marks as a fresher are much lower than they expect , most of the IIM want 85% above in Btech and 85% in 10th and 12th . IIMs are not the only Bschools we do have other top Bschools like XLRI or IITs. usme try karo . DO give JMET AND XAT along with CAT dont forget FMS 😃
Would you drive a 25 lakh BMW 3 series just after reading its manual without taking any practical lesson? before taking up a MBA from IIM A,B you should earn good workex or try to score 99.9999%ile.

I dont want to be mean , but looking at your acads with just 73% in 12th and 70% in Btech wont get you seat in any IIM ( as per CAT 2010 evaluation ) schedule if you're a fresher,

I am not faking, just look around and consider some cutoff criterias of IIMs ( ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZ). and you'll know what I am talking about.

To fulfill you IIM dream you should give it a shot only after 3-4 years of hefty workex ,it'll increase your score for second round evaluation and help you to clear cutoff.

I am a fresher myself and really pissed off at the IIM evaluation criteria that is being used this year . Meri baat maan yar fresher MBA is not a wrong thing even I m trying for that , but your marks as a fresher are much lower than they expect , most of the IIM want 85% above in Btech and 85% in 10th and 12th . IIMs are not the only Bschools we do have other top Bschools like XLRI or IITs. usme try karo . DO give JMET AND XAT along with CAT dont forget FMS :)

Thanks for the info friend... Hmm... 85% above in B.tech is way too high in my opinion considering how they evaluate in the University I belong to... Pretty much unrealistic if you ask me... Anyways, I will give it a shot anyway... If I don't make it, (which is pretty much probable from your reply) I'd buy some experience working in some company and then hit back at it...

hi dude
adding 2 watever the guy above me has said
at ur score u will not get into iim a/b even after 3-4yrs of workex,even if u score 100%ile
sad but true:drinking::drinking:

the only iim u can try even as fresher is IIM-C and R(ranchi):cheerio:
They only look at Cat score nothin else,but having said dat,u will have 2 score really high,99.6+:lookround:

Dont loose hope , I know 85% in btech is near to impossible , thats why they ask for it from a fresher. you have a good profile overall and plenty of time to prepare ,

Prepare hard , try to add in some extra curricular to your profile and good workex and no one can stop you.

hi dude
adding 2 watever the guy above me has said
at ur score u will not get into iim a/b even after 3-4yrs of workex,even if u score 100%ile
sad but true:drinking::drinking:

the only iim u can try even as fresher is IIM-C and R(ranchi):cheerio:
They only look at Cat score nothin else,but having said dat,u will have 2 score really high,99.6+:lookround:

Well in one of the other threads, I saw someone quoting something to the effect of "with 70% acads you CAN in fact get into IIM-A but by scoring a high percentile along with good knowledge about stuff", However the same quote also read that it's impossible to get into IIM-B,L & K with the same acads...

As it stands, I'm pretty much new to this stuff and I appreciate any suggestions from people like you...
Dont loose hope , I know 85% in btech is near to impossible , thats why they ask for it from a fresher. you have a good profile overall and plenty of time to prepare ,

Prepare hard , try to add in some extra curricular to your profile and good workex and no one can stop you.

do u even know what u are talking abt??have u seen the criteria of shortlisting of IIM's..extra currics, work-ex etc dont matter , and there is no distinction between grad marks of fresher or work ex guy.

just to give you an idea i dnt get an IIM call.. I was expecting I,K and Rohtak call because of workex

X - 76.2%
XII - 75%
UG - 73%

WorkEx - 30 Months

Cat - 98.5 percentile :oops::oops:

Now with my kind of profile which is same as yours the only calls possible are IIM C,L and new iim's that to only if one score more than 99.61 to be precise. Xth score alone cant do much for you..

But if you score > 99.8 percentile then IIM C & L you should manage even without workex.

But on the brighter side with this kind of preparation and such percentile one can target colleges like

MDI
NITIE
XL
FMS
IIT's
IIFT
SIBM
NMIMS

All these colleges give calls only on the basis of entrance score.. IIM's means a lot but not everything.

So is my IIM "dream" all but over?

thejedimaster2 Says

Dude
as discussed get a 99.6+ and u still have a dream on
however rem what is ur end target , MBA abd the institute u want to do an MBA from is only a means.
lets say ur inetrested in HR target XL.It doesnt look much at acads.XLRI -HRM is better then wat most IIIMS can offer
if ur intesretd in marketing go for FMS. it gives 65% weightage to written score .
if cutoff is 400 get a 430 and ur almost there.You wont compromise much if ur going to FMS.
If u want to do operations NITIE is as gud probably better then a few IIMs.
U get a 98+ in cat and u ll get a call from NITIE

point being IIMs are not the end all and u have to find out alternate ways which are not neccesarily inferior.
do some smart thinkong and analysis and u ll figure ur way out
thejedimaster2 Says

dude get it clear
u wanna an IIM or a good quality MBA?
the names mentioned besides IIMs are as good as IIMs(like XL,FMS)
and incase u want an IIM and not an MBA den still 99.6+ is wat u gotta score

which is the best course study material for CAT 2011?

with -
10th-82.8
12-73.6
grad(till 3rd yr).-70% b.e. in E.C. still a year to go
gave Cat attempted around 40 ques which colleges should apply

Hello puys, be frank is it possible or not to get into IIM A, B or C without work-ex or just after engineering?

I have average 80 percent in 10th as well 12th and able to got aggregate 75% in engineering.
Tell me if there any ray of hope to get into there having this profile also ready to make 100%ile into CAT or whatever for that. plzz be frnk n realistic.

hey people, recently i was checking a document published by iim cal
(admission criteria for 2012-13, pgdm, pgdcm) which states that only managerial work experience will be taken into account and not internships, project works, etc....
well, i am a bit confused as to what the term 'managerial experience' means in this context.
currently, i am working in a reputed MNC for over 2 years in the finance department, although i am not a manager in the department.
so, wil my work experience be taken into account even though i am not a manager??
please reply

@satana Can u tell some other colleges for marketing..
IS SIBM is gud for marketing

@audaciousrichie As much as i know they will not consider your work experience they it will only consider managerial roles work experience