i have a query related to gmat admissions

i am an electronics and communication engineer working in my family business which is about manufacturing of electronic control gears,i joined my family business right after college and its been close to a year since i am working here. is my kind …

i am an electronics and communication engineer working in my family business which is about manufacturing of electronic control gears,i joined my family business right after college and its been close to a year since i am working here. is my kind of work experience(i.e working in ur family business) valid/official enough to get an decent mba college if i manage to score sufficient enough in gmat ? the work experience that i will show/have-won't that be a problem in securing a seat in a good mba college? i thank u for ur time. regards, priyanka,

pirchu Says
i am an electronics and communication engineer working in my family business which is about manufacturing of electronic control gears,i joined my family business right after college and its been close to a year since i am working here. is my kind of work experience(i.e working in ur family business) valid/official enough to get an decent mba college if i manage to score sufficient enough in gmat ? the work experience that i will show/have-won't that be a problem in securing a seat in a good mba college? i thank u for ur time. regards, priyanka,

no priyanka, work experience in family business is not a problem as long as you convince the adcom in your essays and interviews that you added value to the family business. The challenge would be the convincing part.

Thank you John_nash for answering :)

@pirchu: Please continue here if still you need any clarification: http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gmat-query-center-2010-13-25055904

Kindly don't open new thread for personal query. Use search option to find relevant thread.

@mods Please do the needful.

i am sorry and thankful at the same time...sorry i was new to this site and didn't know abt the right place to post the query, i will take utmost care in future, and i thank u all for responding to my post. a very special thanks to john_nash.

Thank you John_nash for answering :)

@pirchu: Please continue here if still you need any clarification: http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gmat-query-center-2010-13-25055904

Kindly don't open new thread for personal query. Use search option to find relevant thread.

@mods Please do the needful.

@[555551:pirchu] Hi.. working in a family business will not harm your prospects unless you're not justifying your working there effectively. You should convince the panel during interview that your work has added sufficient skills and values in you in the past 1 year. I'm not a coach, but would suggest you to gain some more work experience so as to make your apps more heavy

I'm currently in my final year in BITS Dubai and planning to give GMAT in August 2013. My plan is to use my GMAT score to get admission in a good MBA institute in India, preferably an IIM (for 2014-2015 PG). I have some questions. Please forgive me if they sound dumb, I'm a complete newbie. 😃

1. Firstly, am I restricting myself by only concentrating on Indian colleges? Note that I'm an Indian studying in Dubai for my B.Tech degree.
2. What would be a good GMAT score for getting interview call from IIMs (from those which have PG program accepting GMAT score)?
3. On GMAT exam day, we can give 4 colleges names to be reported our score for free. Considering that I'm targeting 650+ on my GMAT, which names can I provide?
4. Many suggest to get at least a 2-year work experience first and then do MBA. Is that a better route for securing admission in a good PG program?

@arisjuggler

I'm currently in my final year in BITS Dubai and planning to give GMAT in August 2013. My plan is to use my GMAT score to get admission in a good MBA institute in India, preferably an IIM (for 2014-2015 PG). I have some questions. Please forgive me if they sound dumb, I'm a complete newbie.

1. Firstly, am I restricting myself by only concentrating on Indian colleges? Note that I'm an Indian studying in Dubai for my B.Tech degree.

2. What would be a good GMAT score for getting interview call from IIMs (from those which have PG program accepting GMAT score)?

3. On GMAT exam day, we can give 4 colleges names to be reported our score for free. Considering that I'm targeting 650+ on my GMAT, which names can I provide?

4. Many suggest to get at least a 2-year work experience first and then do MBA. Is that a better route for securing admission in a good PG program?

1) a

2) b Skip

Hi,

Considering you are in final year, you can't apply to IIM's based on your GMAT score. IIM's accept GMAT only for executive programs which require minimum 4-6 years of work experience. Let me know if you have any questions...