How to improve your profile for an International MBA

Guys, Many people manage a good GMAT score (700 +), but not all have a profile competitive enough to match an international candidature. I believe a strong profile counts more than a gmat score and application essays. A strong profile doesnt …

Guys,

Many people manage a good GMAT score (700 +), but not all have a profile competitive enough to match an international candidature. I believe a strong profile counts more than a gmat score and application essays. A strong profile doesnt exactly mean a good work exp.

e.g. a candidate with 3-4 yrs work ex in IT, applying for an MBA in Fin, should have an appropriate inclination towards Finance. During his course of work experience, he must focus on improving his profile in Finance. He must be able to justify his inclination in Finance in front of himself.

Similarly, an MBA-Marketing aspirant should improve his profile in Marketing irrespective of the background he belongs to.

On this new thread let us discuss how a person can improve his/her profile w.r.t to MBA career ahead.

There are numerous certification courses & activities that many people know. There are numerous places where people write journals (writing international papers strengthens profile like anything). There is a vast pool of information. Let us share.

Apart from this, extra curricular activities play important role in one's profile. There are activities that help people improve leadership potential. A candidate with small work ex (say 2-3 years) cannot strongly demonstrate a leadership potential. But, if he gets involved with some extracuricular activities likes sports, NGOs etc etc managerial potential can be developed and accordingly portrayed in an application.

Let us discuss, suggest and understand how to improve our profile for an International MBA.

We really need some useful posts.

good thread.
but I think we'll really have to drag admits to post/share their resources here.
esp. about the various certification they did...

My 0.02$ -
One should join such certification courses in order to improve his status quo and not for any MBA application strat.
It's not your supplementary courses but your status quo that matters to b-schools.

Read the article. Very nicely written.

Profile increment means not only to make ourselves strong on paper, but doing something that inclines us more towards our ultimate goal.

Many people think on how to improve their personality to become at par with the present day competition. As said people do lots of things in different fields to make their profile diverse, which is also in line with their own personal interest.

My intention through this thread is to increase the awareness and share the knowledge of how different people do different things to develop themselves as diversified personality. Particularly for MBA aspirants this aspect is very very important, where candidates have to maket themselves in front of Ad Comm

Smiles

Manish,

Really god info u shared on this Therad, i would like to tak with u regarding GMAT ,
i wanna write it in Aug/07.....my contact detail is
You seem online plz reply me or call me to tak with regaring the strategy for the same...

i will be obliged.....

Jagjeet

Guys,

Many people manage a good GMAT score (700 +), but not all have a profile competitive enough to match an international candidature. I believe a strong profile counts more than a gmat score and application essays. A strong profile doesnt exactly mean a good work exp.

e.g. a candidate with 3-4 yrs work ex in IT, applying for an MBA in Fin, should have an appropriate inclination towards Finance. During his course of work experience, he must focus on improving his profile in Finance. He must be able to justify his inclination in Finance in front of himself.

Similarly, an MBA-Marketing aspirant should improve his profile in Marketing irrespective of the background he belongs to.

On this new thread let us discuss how a person can improve his/her profile w.r.t to MBA career ahead.

There are numerous certification courses & activities that many people know. There are numerous places where people write journals (writing international papers strengthens profile like anything). There is a vast pool of information. Let us share.

Apart from this, extra curricular activities play important role in one's profile. There are activities that help people improve leadership potential. A candidate with small work ex (say 2-3 years) cannot strongly demonstrate a leadership potential. But, if he gets involved with some extracuricular activities likes sports, NGOs etc etc managerial potential can be developed and accordingly portrayed in an application.

Let us discuss, suggest and understand how to improve our profile for an International MBA.

We really need some useful posts.

The "building my profile for an international MBA" is my major concern now a days. I am thinking about it all the time. What worries me more is that I have never worked on a real project (being builded by the client) till now, have only acted as a shadow resource that too on a maintenance project. (Yeah !! I am an Indian IT guys).
I have graduated last year with a GPA of 7.95/10 from Icfai University, which is not very popular. (my second concern)
Sometimes I feel that I still have two years (aiming for Fall 09 or 10, preferably Fall 09) in hand to build my profile but I am scared that I may never get to work on a real project and progress vertically, what I did all year long is kept on learning different tools (this betters my profile sideways, but I don't think this will help me in building my MBA profile).

Am i being very pessimistic and panicky ?

I have a few questions.

1. How to demonstrate leadership quality being just a software developer. Haven't displayed much or rather no experience on the same back in college.?
2. How to create a diverse profile ?
3. What kind of community service should we do ?
4. How important is the brand name of the firm ?
5. Is 3 yrs of work ex enough for an International MBA (read US)?
6. From where should I start building my profile ?

This is the thread I wanted. I am also planning a very systematic approach to MBA admissions. I have been posting my profile on various thread & I asking people about how to utilize next 12-18 months of period before applying to an MBA. thanks for this thread.
You have mentioned about International Paper Presenting. Can u elaborate more on this front. We should plan concreate & specific steps to utilize the time we have.
I am really intrested in the field of Field of Psychology & Organizational Behavior. Can u suggest some courses which will add to my knowledge base as well as improve my candiday by adding value to my profile?

my thoughts for what they are worth ...

although so many people concentrate on making their profile diverse by any means possible, past experience shows that they have a problem defending it in front of the adcom. it becomes difficult for them to convince the adcom people that all the diverse activities that they did ( as mentioned in their application) is not just to create an artificial distinction to their candidature.

i think instead of chasing the chimera of diversity as represented by how many different areas you cover in your CV, its much better to first identify a few activities that are fairly interesting to oneself, and then concentrate on doing different types of activities in that field itself. for example, personally, i love biking, which on its own isnt all that diverse. but i can organise a trip to a scenic place taking on my friends, which makes it something that might just interest the adcom people, especially if we demonstrated some abilities that they might be looking for.
:)

oh and by the way ... that article is rather nicely written ... helps to read it before launching oneself on the diversity quest

Have been looking for such a thread.I would like to Do anything
to improve the profile(80% Satisfaction and 20% Application).
Would ask few queries here after giving serious thought.

Regards,
Seshadri.R

Some links:

1 Corporate Finance
2 Accountancy

Hope you guys have been thru this post.

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/ivey-mba-2008-25020547

A wonderful profile!!

Hello All,

I have read in many threads that people keep talking about certification programs/part time courses (to strengthen your profile), can anyone tell me what kind of certification programs/part time courses are we talking about and the universities which offer them in India (i know that in US many universities offer non degree programs or part time courses).

How do we engage ourself in social activity ? Where to start and how to start ? I am in Bangalore, so if anybody knows or has any idea about NGO's and etc then please let me know.

I have a pretty ordinary profile and after going through all the awesome profiles.. i am having a hard time. I am plannig for Fall 09 and so I want to utilize these two years (rather 1.5 yrs) to add some "wow" factor.
For this I have developed a rough to do list.. which is as follows :-

* Start a blog

1. Get a job which I like (Yes ! I hate my normal projectless IT job :angry:) or atleast get a project, so that I have client interaction. (I am in deep shit !! :bad-word:)

2. Learn how to play Guitar (wanted to do this since B.Tech but never got time.. and now I will have to find time )

3. Take up swimming seriously.

4. Social work (want to be assocaited with CRY or UNICEF)

5. Crack GMAT by mid 08 and decide upon schools. (aiming for 700+)

It would be great if all of you can also share your rough plan of action or how are you planning to journey towards to your dream MBA.

Thanks and Regards,
Rahul

After an year's application struggle and with multiple dings, I learned some big lessons about "improving profile".

Sure that most of the popularly accepted practices - differentiation, social work, unique experience etc etc - works fine to some extend. But unless you are not able to show how these practices make you an "interesting person", I guess none of these will be sufficient enough to take you to a good B school.

I have good amount of social work experience and have shown that as my strength in most of the applications. But on the feedback sessions, to my surprise, most of the adcoms just gave a passive reference about that.
Its a strength. Period.But for colleges, they look at how well I mixed it with my day to day activities; how well it brought out the qualities in me.

None of the adcoms suggested to take up any certification programs/part time courses since I've taken statistics and maths in undergraduate studies. I think this is applicable for most of the engineers out there.

Hey Jacky,
Did you apply to/get any feedback from INSEAD?
I am trying to reach them but they won't respond to email. How do I find out the phone number for my admissions coordinator??
My profile:
750/undergrad in the US/2+ FTE work ex in fortune 50 company in the US/decent social work (leadership too but no official positions)/grand plans.

Not even an interview!

harshRambles, I didn't apply to Insead last year. A few of my friends had application feedback sessions (though none of them are happy about the quality of feedback).
Try reaching them over phone.
A quick look at Insead site gave me this number - Tel: +33 (0)1 60 72 40 05

And better be quick. None of the schools entertain feedback sessions in the peak season.

Is this thread dead??

Hi,
The most important thing you can do now to improve your chances of being accepted by a great business school is ace the GMAT. The test takes only three hours to complete, but your score will be weighted more heavily than will your four years of undergraduate work. Schools are reluctant to admit the importance of the GMAT, but I've seen it too many times. If you don't get a respectable score on the test, you won't go to a top program.