Help selecting MBA in UK without GMAT

Hi All, I am Indian female with very good acedamics and close to 5 years of work experience in a software company in Bangalore. I do not want to write GMAT and want to do my MBA in 2010-11 batch. I have a financial contraint and cannot exceed 2…

Hi All,
I am Indian female with very good acedamics and close to 5 years of work experience in a software company in Bangalore. I do not want to write GMAT and want to do my MBA in 2010-11 batch. I have a financial contraint and cannot exceed 20,000 (approx) including my living expenses.
I had applied for a few UK colleges for MBA 2010 which meet my above criteria. Of which, I have unconditional offers from few of them and havent heard from the other colleges yet. I am confused to choose the right one for me.
1) The University of Southampton MBA (16750)
2) The University of Sheffield Management School (14600 after 2000 off for Indian students)
3) The Salford MBA (9000 after a 5000 off provided thru scholarship for good acedamics)
All three are AMBA accredited. One of my primary concerns post MBA is a good career oppurtunity in UK. Can you please help /guide me decide on which one of these colleges will be the best for me.

P.S.: I have an offer for MS in management from University of Glasgow also.

Thanks,
Sindhu

Hi Sindhu,

This is Phani from Hyd, 6 yrs in ITES, looking for MBA in UK.
I am in the process of applying to Salford and hopefully should be done by next week.
Both Salford and Southampton are AMBA accredited I guess (salford for sure) but donno about Sheffiled. I do have strong contacts in UK, frens who are working and who have done their MBA.Don't expect great deal of assistance from the universities after your MBA and be prepared to do the same IT job which you have been doing for the past many years.MBA will definately give you an advantage but it will take time to reap the benefits from it.The best thing is you get a work permit for 2 yrs post your MBA and it should be good enough time for you to build your career.So i would say be clear about what you want and prepare for the worst. This is based on the feedback from my frens who are working there.
You can PM on [email protected] if you need anything.

Cheers,
Phani.

Hi All,
I am Indian female with very good acedamics and close to 5 years of work experience in a software company in Bangalore. I do not want to write GMAT and want to do my MBA in 2010-11 batch. I have a financial contraint and cannot exceed 20,000 (approx) including my living expenses.
I had applied for a few UK colleges for MBA 2010 which meet my above criteria. Of which, I have unconditional offers from few of them and havent heard from the other colleges yet. I am confused to choose the right one for me.
1) The University of Southampton MBA (16750)
2) The University of Sheffield Management School (14600 after 2000 off for Indian students)
3) The Salford MBA (9000 after a 5000 off provided thru scholarship for good acedamics)
All three are AMBA accredited. One of my primary concerns post MBA is a good career oppurtunity in UK. Can you please help /guide me decide on which one of these colleges will be the best for me.

P.S.: I have an offer for MS in management from University of Glasgow also.

Thanks,
Sindhu

Hi Phani & Sindhu,

You guys be very careful in selecting the RIGHT MBA programme..as you know MBA is all about 'Brand Value'..this goes for the Employers..so an MBA is going to be a 'LAUNCHPAD' for your upcoming Managerial career..
Well I understand that you guys..might be having financial constrains..so you are looking for an affordable MBA..but these are some of my points/views...which I think..would help you out..

1. Look for Double accredited UK b-schools (AMBA-should be a MUST & see for EQUIS accreditation).
2. Try to find a school..in a better location..(excluding London..as the Living is phenominally expensive) like Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc..which has some industries & you can get good exposure...& you have good scope of getting internships over there...& moreover you can easily attend i/v at the companies located at your town.
3. Apply to some better ranked schools..& see if you can get some substantial schols..there is no harm in trying..as there is no application fees in most of these schools..so you have nothing to loose.
4. You can also look for M.Sc courses in some good ranked UK b-schools..in your budget..in that case again..this is the 'BRAND' that sells..which is well known by the UK Employers.
5. Even if you don't have enough funds..then you guys can look for Bank loans..which you can get upto 20 Lakhs (approx 30K GBP)..which you can repay..after you get a job..why I'm saying this..this is because of the simple reason..that a good branded MBA would definitely give you a substantially better market value..& you would be able to bargain well...post-MBA.

Do let me know..if I can be of some help.
All the very best for your MBA.

Cheers,
Dr Saurabh.

Hi Saurabh,

Thansk for your info.
The reaosn I was looking for "affordbale" MBA is I need to think about ROI post my MBA as well.
Agreed that there are some banks whcih can offer you a loan amount of up to 20lacs but for me it is about getting rid off financial obligations sooner than later and then think about other personal committments too.
What is your opinion about post MBA career opportunities for those exp in ITES ?
Common feedback I get from people living there is that locals are always preffered over outsiders and not to expect a managerial role straight after the course. I plan to stay there ta least for 5 yrs to recover my financial obligations and then think about coming back to India.
Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Hi Phani & Sindhu,

You guys be very careful in selecting the RIGHT MBA programme..as you know MBA is all about 'Brand Value'..this goes for the Employers..so an MBA is going to be a 'LAUNCHPAD' for your upcoming Managerial career..
Well I understand that you guys..might be having financial constrains..so you are looking for an affordable MBA..but these are some of my points/views...which I think..would help you out..

1. Look for Double accredited UK b-schools (AMBA-should be a MUST & see for EQUIS accreditation).
2. Try to find a school..in a better location..(excluding London..as the Living is phenominally expensive) like Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc..which has some industries & you can get good exposure...& you have good scope of getting internships over there...& moreover you can easily attend i/v at the companies located at your town.
3. Apply to some better ranked schools..& see if you can get some substantial schols..there is no harm in trying..as there is no application fees in most of these schools..so you have nothing to loose.
4. You can also look for M.Sc courses in some good ranked UK b-schools..in your budget..in that case again..this is the 'BRAND' that sells..which is well known by the UK Employers.
5. Even if you don't have enough funds..then you guys can look for Bank loans..which you can get upto 20 Lakhs (approx 30K GBP)..which you can repay..after you get a job..why I'm saying this..this is because of the simple reason..that a good branded MBA would definitely give you a substantially better market value..& you would be able to bargain well...post-MBA.

Do let me know..if I can be of some help.
All the very best for your MBA.

Cheers,
Dr Saurabh.
Hi Saurabh,

Thansk for your info.
The reaosn I was looking for "affordbale" MBA is I need to think about ROI post my MBA as well.
Agreed that there are some banks whcih can offer you a loan amount of up to 20lacs but for me it is about getting rid off financial obligations sooner than later and then think about other personal committments too.
What is your opinion about post MBA career opportunities for those exp in ITES ?
Common feedback I get from people living there is that locals are always preffered over outsiders and not to expect a managerial role straight after the course. I plan to stay there ta least for 5 yrs to recover my financial obligations and then think about coming back to India.
Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Hi Phani,

Since I dont come from the IT background..so these abbreviations are JARGONS for me..so what does ITES mean? Is it related to the Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) industry ? If so, then what is your role/profile in the company..is it Tele-calling still.. after having this much of experience..or you have some sort of Managerial responsibilities/profile at present? Tell me about your profile..& the nature of work..since all these years..then only I'll be able to give you a concrete answer.

Secondly, as far as the 'ROI' & Bank-loan is concerned..I understand that..it is a major question of concern..& ROI is there in the mind of all aspirants for a Foreign MBA..but plz try to understand..that If just achieving a UK MBA is your Goal..then its Fine..but if at all you are looking forward for a career in Management..then dear..these MBAs would not give you the desired outcomes..as you are looking for..

I know some of my friends..who went to UK..for an MBA in a non-ranked school..& after passing out..had a tough time..in job-hunting..& those who got a job..was more or less..like the same ones..before an MBA..& they all insist me that..I should go for a Ranked MBA..as just an MBA..would not raise the eyebrows of the employers...

Do let me know..if you need any further help..for the UK MBA.
All the very best.

Hi Saurabh,
I started off as Level 1 technical support analyst in a calling process. Then i slowly moved into core technologies. Transitioned a project offshore working on site with the licent in US for a month. Been promoted as a Lead with other additional resposibilities into operations and leading a team of four in June 2008. So my profile is a combination of technologies and little bit of operational knowledge for the past two years. I am looking for B schools in and around Manchester and chose Salford as it fits all my requirements. However Salford guys came back saying they need at least 3 yrs of exp in supervisory role where as I would compelte only 2 yrs by June 2010. Approached them through two different consultanices and got the same response. I am told that same is the case with any AMBA accredited B schools and instead they are offering me to think about MSc or other courses. This is really frustrating now as I had one of my frens who was not even in a Lead role (we both work for same employer) got into Durham b school which is triple accredited last year. Please let me know what your advcie would be.

Hi Saurabh,
I started off as Level 1 technical support analyst in a calling process. Then i slowly moved into core technologies. Transitioned a project offshore working on site with the licent in US for a month. Been promoted as a Lead with other additional resposibilities into operations and leading a team of four in June 2008. So my profile is a combination of technologies and little bit of operational knowledge for the past two years. I am looking for B schools in and around Manchester and chose Salford as it fits all my requirements. However Salford guys came back saying they need at least 3 yrs of exp in supervisory role where as I would compelte only 2 yrs by June 2010. Approached them through two different consultanices and got the same response. I am told that same is the case with any AMBA accredited B schools and instead they are offering me to think about MSc or other courses. This is really frustrating now as I had one of my frens who was not even in a Lead role (we both work for same employer) got into Durham b school which is triple accredited last year. Please let me know what your advcie would be.

Hi Phani,

So..you have done pretty well in your work..but it lacks a bit of 'Managerial salt'..& its quite a 'common' kind of IT profile..and above all the BPO industry..as such doesn't give a great punch..to the adcoms (No offenses please :nono:..I'm just trying to figure out the actual scene)..but then you can come out of this problem with two reasonable solutions (I think so)..
1. Try to write an impressive SOP..detailing about your role and profile..specially highlighting the 'Managerial & Leadership flavour'..of your work-ex.
2. Hey..you know the 'Salient' advantages of being a lady ..the adcoms are quite lineant & ease the applications of the female candidates..good b-schools like to have a decent international population & female population as well...this is the reason..that you would notice these two parameters in any Global ranking parameters. So utilize the Women Empowerment ! (Even in India..the Politicians are going Ga-Ga for the Womens' Bill..:cheerio:)

..Ok now tell me why you want to be near Manchester ? Any relative/friend resides over there kya? I would still suggest you to search for some better b-schools than Salford..as it doesn't have a good value..in the UK market..& your Dream of achieving a good job in UK..would not be easy with a Salford MBA.. ..believe me.

Did you also apply to Durham? Dont care about what your friend has achieved..see this is Destiny...You just think & focuss about your career & moves..how you have to go ahead..& get the Best of the MBA education.

See..at this point of time..you can still apply to some better schools..with good accreditations & market value.. (Without a GMAT score)

1. Durham (triple accr. - 18k till April..or 19K)
2. Bradford (triple acc - 20K)
3. Aston (triple accr - 22K)
4. Glasgow (double accr - AMBA,AACSB - 19K)
5. Glasgow Caledonian (check the acc - 13K)-Not so good
6. Newcastle (AMBA/Ranked - 17.5K)

Hope this helps.
Cheers :cheerio:

Hi Saurabh,

Hope you are doing great.
I have spent enough time and doen enough research and now have unconditionals from Sheffields and Salfrod. I know that i could have considered other Unis like Durham, Nottingham, Southampton etc but i need ot choose between these two right now and I need your help.
Based on my research so far, Sheffield is one of the oldest and reputed Unis but MBA is sort of avg.
Salford MBA has recently been accredited and course modules seem to be more practical. It also has good industry contacts in Manchester. Sheffield doesn't provide nay internship live projects as a mandate whereas Salford requires its students to complete one mandatory live project. This increases the chances of employment. Cost wise Sheffield will be little tight for me whereas Salford is easy go.Since you have been around for a while and done lot of research, i would need your expert opinion to help me out of thsi dilemma. It would be great if you cna go thru the course modules of both Sheffield and Salford which can give more insight. Appreciate your response.

Phaneendra Nath. N

Hi Saurabh,

Hope you are doing great.
I have spent enough time and doen enough research and now have unconditionals from Sheffields and Salfrod. I know that i could have considered other Unis like Durham, Nottingham, Southampton etc but i need ot choose between these two right now and I need your help.
Based on my research so far, Sheffield is one of the oldest and reputed Unis but MBA is sort of avg.
Salford MBA has recently been accredited and course modules seem to be more practical. It also has good industry contacts in Manchester. Sheffield doesn't provide nay internship live projects as a mandate whereas Salford requires its students to complete one mandatory live project. This increases the chances of employment. Cost wise Sheffield will be little tight for me whereas Salford is easy go.Since you have been around for a while and done lot of research, i would need your expert opinion to help me out of thsi dilemma. It would be great if you cna go thru the course modules of both Sheffield and Salford which can give more insight. Appreciate your response.

Phaneendra Nath. N

Hi Phaneendra,

I have already discusssed with you in detail..regarding an MBA from Sheffield or Salford. I have also told you about its Consequences..but if you still want to continue..with either of them..then Go ahead.

And since I have not researched on Tier-3 b-schools..so I am NOT AWARE about them..Its better to speak to current Students or Alumni about their 'REAL EXPERIENCE' (You can search & get them thru the social networking sites...Orkut, FB etc) and you can also ask your queries from the MBA Program Director & get the 'Official' information.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Dr Saurabh.

Hi Saurabh

I have a doubt regarding the MBA form UK. I have aroun 4+ years of work ex in IT industry with me and decent academics. I have got offer from KENT and NEW CASTLE. Waiting for results from Exeter and Strachlyde. Both Kent and new castle are amba accredited , and rank ok in uk rankings though they dont have any world ranking. Please guide me if one has to choose between the two which one to go for ? New Castle is no doubt older one , but i am not sure between the two. Also suggest me if there are any more schools i can aaply for now without a GMAT score an with my work - exp. Also i checked with lancaster and manchester , both need atleast 3 + of minimum managerial exp which i dont have. So with my kind of profile what others can be good option for me ? My budget is also 20,000 GBP at max with living.

Hi Saurabh

I have a doubt regarding the MBA form UK. I have aroun 4+ years of work ex in IT industry with me and decent academics. I have got offer from KENT and NEW CASTLE. Waiting for results from Exeter and Strachlyde. Both Kent and new castle are amba accredited , and rank ok in uk rankings though they dont have any world ranking. Please guide me if one has to choose between the two which one to go for ? New Castle is no doubt older one , but i am not sure between the two. Also suggest me if there are any more schools i can aaply for now without a GMAT score an with my work - exp. Also i checked with lancaster and manchester , both need atleast 3 + of minimum managerial exp which i dont have. So with my kind of profile what others can be good option for me ? My budget is also 20,000 GBP at max with living.

First of all..tell me how many yrs Managerial experience you have (Not just ANY experience) ? All the good ranked schools ask for GMAT & Managerial experience. And secondly I don't understand..that how can you consider the Top Tier-1 UK b-schools without a GMAT & budget of 20K GBP (including your Fees & Living) :w00t: ?

Refer to my previous post...in this thread only & I mentioned the Best possible UK b-schools..accepting students without a GMAT score...with their Fees in parenthesis.

In b/w Newcastle & Kent..Newcastle is a better option..& besides the quality of MBA..Newcastle is also a big town as compared to Kent..& might fetch you better Opportunities.

All the best,
Dr Saurabh.

Hey Saurabh

Like i said 4+ yrs of exp , i hardly have any managerial experience and most of the work is in IT. The max i can show is being module lead for the applications we develop.Thats the primary reason i have m targetting ok Uk schools with atleast AMBA accrediation. Yes i saw ur list which mentions about schools , which dont take GMAT, and since i saw new castle , there jus needed your inputs , of New Castle as a school to join in ? Also let me know can i still apply to Aston or is it too late now ?

Hey Saurabh

Like i said 4+ yrs of exp , i hardly have any managerial experience and most of the work is in IT. The max i can show is being module lead for the applications we develop.Thats the primary reason i have m targetting ok Uk schools with atleast AMBA accrediation. Yes i saw ur list which mentions about schools , which dont take GMAT, and since i saw new castle , there jus needed your inputs , of New Castle as a school to join in ? Also let me know can i still apply to Aston or is it too late now ?

Then in that case..the work-exp might be a hindrance & worries for you..even for the Post-MBA career.

@Aston-Its better to ask the Admission committee or the MBA Programme Director regarding the Application Deadlines or other queries also . Many UK schools...accept the applications till May or June or even till Mid-July.

Cheers, :)
Dr Saurabh,

Hey Saurabh,

First of all.. thanks for all the help you are providing!

I am an IT professional with 6 yr exp and have also worked in UK. Got good managerial exposure as well. Even I am bound by a tight budget of GBP 20k.

I've got MBA offers from Newcastle, Surrey, Salford, Heriot Watt and Robert Gordon

Can you please advise on whom to shortlist?

Hey Saurabh,

First of all.. thanks for all the help you are providing!

I am an IT professional with 6 yr exp and have also worked in UK. Got good managerial exposure as well. Even I am bound by a tight budget of GBP 20k.

I've got MBA offers from Newcastle, Surrey, Salford, Heriot Watt and Robert Gordon

Can you please advise on whom to shortlist?

Hi,

The best option for you..in the List is NEWCASTLE..plz refer to my previous post.
But..with such a good experience & Profile..I would again suggest you to Strch yourself & look for a Better Ranked MBA..as this is what you are going to reap..throughout your Career..so The better the Brand..the Better is your Market-value..so better is your Future.

Hope this helps,
Saurabh.

hey saurab,

congrats on so many offers...

i hav offers from exeter,sheffield,southampton,leicester and royal holloway uni. of london for the MBA in sept,2010.

I chked the gaurdian rankings and also contacted ppl regarding the same..
I ahv total 3 yrs of work ex in telecom sector n biotech sector as an BDM..
I want to work after my MBA in uk.

I can wait for another yr to get into a bttr college as wel.

Kindly suggest me the pros n cons of takin any of these colleges or waitin for another yr..

Best Regards
Ashrut

hey saurab,

congrats on so many offers...

i hav offers from exeter,sheffield,southampton,leicester and royal holloway uni. of london for the MBA in sept,2010.

I chked the gaurdian rankings and also contacted ppl regarding the same..
I ahv total 3 yrs of work ex in telecom sector n biotech sector as an BDM..
I want to work after my MBA in uk.

I can wait for another yr to get into a bttr college as wel.

Kindly suggest me the pros n cons of takin any of these colleges or waitin for another yr..

Best Regards
Ashrut

Dear Ashrut,

Congratulations for these offers.
But to be very Frank..these are not Great schools..& come in the Tier-2 "B" Category..so that ways the Post-MBA career in UK/India is really going to be Tough..specially in the Present Scenario.. where the UK Market is in a Bad shape. So..it is advisable for you to apply Next year..to some better ranked UK b-schools.

Please go through this forum..& have the patience of reading my posts..wherein I have given a list of Informative Posts for those aspiring for a TOP Tier-2 UK MBA.
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/top-2-tier-uk-b-schools2010-applications-beyond-25047738

Cheers, :)
Saurabh.

Dear Saurabh,

Need your advice reg. which ones are the better univ. in london for MBA, among Middlesex and University of East London? Am planning for london only for my MBA, have IELTS of 6.5 but do not have GMAT. Have total work exp. of 6 years with 3+ of managerial n supervisory exp. please advice, although am waiting for the response of Westminster Univ.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks in advance

S Tandon

Dear Saurabh,

Need your advice reg. which ones are the better univ. in london for MBA, among Middlesex and University of East London? Am planning for london only for my MBA, have IELTS of 6.5 but do not have GMAT. Have total work exp. of 6 years with 3+ of managerial n supervisory exp. please advice, although am waiting for the response of Westminster Univ.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks in advance

S Tandon

Dear S Tandon,

Could you plz tell me the reason..Why are you looking forward for these MBAs? Is it the 'London Advantage' (for Finance-related Jobs)?

To be Frank..I'm Sorry to tell you...that these B-Schools are Not Ranked & not upto the mark . And secondly..the Cost of Living in London is Phenominally Expensive..:-( which would raise the Cost of your MBA.

If you are looking for a MBA from London..then plz look for these 3 options only..otherwise its not worth going for it..However they are expensive & tough to get into.
These B-schools are-
1. LBS
2. Cass
3. Imperial

Dear you have good amount of Work-Experience and have a Matured age :cheerio:..so Why Compromising on these schools?

You can try for some good UK MBAs (without GMAT)..which are Ranked, Triple/Double accredited, great value for money & have decent Alumni Network . These MBA would be at-par or lesser than the total cost of those at London..(after calculating the Total Cost ie. Tuition fee+Living.)

1. Bath
2. Durham
3. Aston

I hope..this helps.
-Dr Saurabh.