HELP needed in choosing a business school !!!

Hi All, I have a few questions on choosing a B-School and would like to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions… 1) Does anyone have information on how Thunderbird’s Global MBA on Demand program is ?. The school says that the deg…

Hi All,

I have a few questions on choosing a B-School and would like to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions...

1) Does anyone have information on how Thunderbird's Global MBA on Demand program is ?. The school says that the degree awarded is the same as the regular full time MBA. I am aware that Thunderbird's full time MBA program ranks #1 in International Business, but in terms of B School rankings, it doesnt seem to be in the top 30 schools.

2) How does the Thunderbird program rank in comparison to Cornell's EMBA program in terms of industry acceptance, career growth (note I am already a working professional with over 12 years of IT experience, 8 years managerial ?.

3) Although Cornell is an Ivy League and has the brand name, its EMBA or even the regular MBA havent been in the top 10 in recent years. Someone said that Cornell is good for science programs but the MBA programs at Johnson BSchool at Cornell are not that great. Is that true ?.

4) I have been in the States for the past 8 years and am now in a senior level position with a financial services company (in technology), but plan on going back to India at some point. In this case, will the Thunderbird program which is in International Business help me or will the Cornell program (which is ia general executive MBA) fare better ?

Information provided or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi there,

The schools you've mentioned are pretty far apart. What qualities are you looking for in your b-school? What do you hope to gain from the program?

From your post and your NJ location, I gather you wish to move into the higher ranks on the technology side of on wall street (is that where you work?). Perhaps a CIOish role?

In my opinion, moving to India in the future does not require a mba with a international business focus. Any solid program with some brand equity could help.

There are 2 awesome schools 25 miles north, NYU - one of the best part time programs and another ivy, Columbia (which I believe does not have a part time program but offers a 1yr program).

cheers,
mba05

Post your Queries on the Phoren B-school Assitance Desk to get the opinions of veterans!:)

Also, use Search Tool to the fullest to make the best of the information available on the forums! 😃

Hi mba05,
Thanks for getting back to me. You're right, I do work at Wall street and as you can imagine stressfull hours..... To answer your question, I am looking for a program that can help my career here as well as when I go back to India. I am looking to gain the all round growth in knowledge that comes with an MBA - financial accounting, statistics, corporate strategy, media relations. Both programs offer all these and some other variants.

The factors that really concern me are -
the brand equity / recognition - here and in India, the timings (number of residency sessions), the fees and the focus.

The Thunderbird program has the brand equity of being one of the top Bschools in International business but the overall school ranking among MBA program's doesnt figure till the late 30's or even the 40's nationally. Also, the school seems to be more well known in MBA circles than the non-MBA'ites. This leads me to wonder if the school has recognition back home in India. The pros are the timings and the fees. The timings are flexible as the course is delivered 75% online and 25% in residency sessions. This makes it easier for me to fit in my schedule. The fees are reasonable as well.

Cornell on the other hand has the ivy league recognition and brand equity. What is questionable is the recognition of the MBA program which seems to be lurking around the 15-20th nationally and 30-35th internationally. The timings are stressful but still doable - 2 day sessions every alternate week. The price is about 3 times that of thunderbird - so way high (I can still go for this price if this program is going to make the difference in my career).

NYU and Columbia though being unquestionable, have really inflexible timings - 30 to 40 Fridays resident sessions a year in addition to 2-4 week residency sessions. Taking that kind of time off might impact my day job.

You mentioned that in your opinion, "moving to India in the future does not require a mba with a international business focus. Any solid program with some brand equity could help.". Can you drill into this a little further and explain the rationale for your opinion. This is one key aspect of my consideration and I would very much like to understand your perspective on this.
Thanks once again for responding and please do reply to this thread. Also, thanks in advance to others who may voice their opinons.

Post your Queries on the Phoren B-school Assitance Desk to get the opinions of veterans!:)

Also, use Search Tool to the fullest to make the best of the information available on the forums! :)

hey monil,

I didnt quite understand the raison dtre for the assistance desk thread. What is a generic query? How many PGs have generic queries and how is this one generic?

Thanks!
hey monil,

I didnt quite understand the raison dtre for the assistance desk thread. What is a generic query? How many PGs have generic queries and how is this one generic?

Thanks!

The Phoren B-school assistance Desk has been started with the view of having a conolidated thread addressing everyones queries regarding B-schooling Abroad, rather than having numerous 5-10 Post threads.

Also, even if veterans want to guide aspirants, the junta asking queries may not get relevant guidance/advice et all if the threads are arbitarily popping up. So, its a one-stop thread even for the veterans to check and reply. :)

At the moment, we have Simba, Psychodementia and a couple of others regulars who answer the queries on that thread! 😃

Frankly, I think posts are going to get buried and forgotten. A separate thread would get a a lot more eyeballs (read responses) that the 3rd page of a 10 page one stop shop thread.