GMAT Take2 - 740 (49Q, 41V)

Hi All, I did well on the GMAT today. Scored a 740. This was a retake (I had a 690 previously.) My prep materials 1. OG 11 2. GMATPrep tests 3. Manhattan CR and RC material My prep tests GMATPrep 1 : 730 G…

Hi All,

I did well on the GMAT today. Scored a 740. This was a retake (I had a 690 previously.)

My prep materials

1. OG 11
2. GMATPrep tests
3. Manhattan CR and RC material

My prep tests

GMATPrep 1 : 730
GMATPrep 2 : 720
GMATPrep 3 : 730
GMATPrep 4 : 710
GMAT : 740 - 97%ile (49 Q - 88%ile, 41 V - 92 %ile)

My test experience

The start

I reached the center 45 mins before schedule. After completing the formalities, we started the test abt 10 mins before scheduled start time. I hadn't taken the AWA on a single prep test, which came to bite me on the actual test. My AWA wasn't smooth. I might barely manage a 4.5 or 5.

Quant

After the AWA, i came out and had a sip of water. Went back to my seat and started my quant section. I usually divide quant into 3 chunks of 12-13 questions to complete in 25 mins each. I wrapped up the first chunk in 18-20 mins and probably became overconfident, coz most of them were lollipops. But the nightmare was just abt to begin.

The next chunk took me roughly 35+ mins. There were some of the toughest problems I had ever encountered in quant (including my preps.) There were probability sums, twisted mean/median/mode/sd problems and others. I went slowly knowing that I needed to get most qns right, since I had taken so much time already. The surprising thing was that there were some more lollipops in the middle of these tough cookies. And since I was in the tough-problem-solve-slowly-mode, it made me go slow on the easier ones as well, which took up a bit more of my time.

Finally I was left with about 18 mins for the last 13 problems and I knew I was in deep trouble. Unfortunately, there were few more diff problems in this set. But a combination of a cool head, some very lucky intuitive guesswork and quick thinking saved the day and I finished the section with about 7 seconds to spare.

Verbal

In the break, I came out for another sip of water and sat down for few mins to gather my thoughts. I wasn't confident about my quant section, but I told myself to let it go and focus on what lay ahead. I am good with verbal and I told myself to focus on acing it, since that was the only thing left in my hands. I went back and started the verbal section. Compared to quant, verbal was a breeze and my practice with Manhattan CR and RC really, really helped (If anyone at MGMAT is listening, I owe you guys big!!!) I can honestly say that just this part of my preps resulted in a 20-30 point increase in my overall score as I managed to get my accuracy in CR and RC up, both in my test preps and my final exam. 41 in V is my highest scaled score in the 10 or so GMATPrep tests I must have taken as part of my preps at various points in time (also including my earlier take.) And I picked a good day to do it too.

Final Result

After completing my test, I sat at my seat saying to myself: "Let it be higher than 690, let it be higher than 690, let it be higher than 690." Yes. I said it precisely 3 times. And then the numbers popped on screen. I had scored my highest ever score and that too on the big G-day! I was feeling a mixture of delight and shock! I quietly pumped my fists (so as not to disturb other candidates), came out, collected my unofficial score and as soon as I was out of the center, I jumped up and punched the air a few times. It was a HUGE relief and it felt good to have backed myself and believed in my ability and most importantly, to have executed it.

Next up

The great BSchool circus begins...

Thanks to ghk! Keep the faith bro!

Awesome, man.:cheerio:
Do keep PG posted on your story further ahead

@dsudipto: thanks mate! will do that.

Congrats Rocky,
Thats an awsome score. Can u share ur profile and which colleges are you going to appl?

@krishna683:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/fall-2010-aspirants-25040878

rocky dude, what was the level of verbal questions like ? OG type ?

yeah... for gmat verbal, og+gmatprep level works out fine. SC is slightly trickier in some places. its the gmat quant that is tougher than og.

shockingly got a 6 on the awa... didnt think i had done well on it

Congratulations Buddy!

Well written !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

I did well on the GMAT today. Scored a 740. This was a retake (I had a 690 previously.)

My prep materials

1. OG 11
2. GMATPrep tests
3. Manhattan CR and RC material

My prep tests

GMATPrep 1 : 730
GMATPrep 2 : 720
GMATPrep 3 : 730
GMATPrep 4 : 710
GMAT : 740 - 97%ile (49 Q - 88%ile, 41 V - 92 %ile)

My test experience

The start

I reached the center 45 mins before schedule. After completing the formalities, we started the test abt 10 mins before scheduled start time. I hadn't taken the AWA on a single prep test, which came to bite me on the actual test. My AWA wasn't smooth. I might barely manage a 4.5 or 5.

Quant

After the AWA, i came out and had a sip of water. Went back to my seat and started my quant section. I usually divide quant into 3 chunks of 12-13 questions to complete in 25 mins each. I wrapped up the first chunk in 18-20 mins and probably became overconfident, coz most of them were lollipops. But the nightmare was just abt to begin.

The next chunk took me roughly 35+ mins. There were some of the toughest problems I had ever encountered in quant (including my preps.) There were probability sums, twisted mean/median/mode/sd problems and others. I went slowly knowing that I needed to get most qns right, since I had taken so much time already. The surprising thing was that there were some more lollipops in the middle of these tough cookies. And since I was in the tough-problem-solve-slowly-mode, it made me go slow on the easier ones as well, which took up a bit more of my time.

Finally I was left with about 18 mins for the last 13 problems and I knew I was in deep trouble. Unfortunately, there were few more diff problems in this set. But a combination of a cool head, some very lucky intuitive guesswork and quick thinking saved the day and I finished the section with about 7 seconds to spare.

Verbal

In the break, I came out for another sip of water and sat down for few mins to gather my thoughts. I wasn't confident about my quant section, but I told myself to let it go and focus on what lay ahead. I am good with verbal and I told myself to focus on acing it, since that was the only thing left in my hands. I went back and started the verbal section. Compared to quant, verbal was a breeze and my practice with Manhattan CR and RC really, really helped (If anyone at MGMAT is listening, I owe you guys big!!!) I can honestly say that just this part of my preps resulted in a 20-30 point increase in my overall score as I managed to get my accuracy in CR and RC up, both in my test preps and my final exam. 41 in V is my highest scaled score in the 10 or so GMATPrep tests I must have taken as part of my preps at various points in time (also including my earlier take.) And I picked a good day to do it too.

Final Result

After completing my test, I sat at my seat saying to myself: "Let it be higher than 690, let it be higher than 690, let it be higher than 690." Yes. I said it precisely 3 times. And then the numbers popped on screen. I had scored my highest ever score and that too on the big G-day! I was feeling a mixture of delight and shock! I quietly pumped my fists (so as not to disturb other candidates), came out, collected my unofficial score and as soon as I was out of the center, I jumped up and punched the air a few times. It was a HUGE relief and it felt good to have backed myself and believed in my ability and most importantly, to have executed it.

Next up

The great BSchool circus begins...

Thanks to ghk! Keep the faith bro!

Nicely written dude!! congratulations. all the best for top institutes.