gmat 740, going for phd, what are my chances?

-------------------------

-------------------------

hi

first post.

just got over with a migraine-inducing 4 hours of gmat
my plans are to apply for phd in strategy/management
work ex 1 year as consultant
grades in engg/mba - average at best

so what are my chances in kellogg/chicago ?

Hi,

Congratulations for your score.:D

Please dont open new threads without using our search facility:

PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2008, GMAT, XAT, IIM - Search Forums

Your query can be better answered over here:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/phoren-b-school-assistance-desk-25014956

Regards,
hi

first post.

just got over with a migraine-inducing 4 hours of gmat
my plans are to apply for phd in strategy/management
work ex 1 year as consultant
grades in engg/mba - average at best

so what are my chances in kellogg/chicago ?

Dude,
first of all congrats on your score.
Doctoral programs in business are very few and the ones who offer have limited number of seats.
Hence, it is quite difficult to get into a premier school's doctoral program.
However, with your good analytical prowess, if you can convince the adcom that you are interested in the research aspect of Strategy management things should be easy for you. Any publication or participation in B Plan contests can come in handy here.

Most importantly, take the doctoral route only when you are really interested in research. Your life can get miserable if you enroll for a Ph.D program just to get into a good school.
Best wishes
Hi,

Regards,

Hi,
Kindly refrain from recommending any query pertaining to Foreign MBA to this good ol' Phoren MBA help desk.
If new threads can be opened for discussing every mock CAT test, this guy's genuine doubt deserves a better discussion. After all how many students take the research route??
Hope I am making sense.

Regards
Hi,

Regards,

i understand ur concers with teh ballooning of threads

the reason i created a thread is that i just couldn't find any threads for junta looking at doctoral programs abroad

ofcourse phd candi's are in a mniscule minority here ... but you never know when some phd-gyaani might come up with some info (apart from teh usual wordy "faq's" on university websites ..

cheers,
Dude,
first of all congrats on your score.
Doctoral programs in business are very few and the ones who offer have limited number of seats.
Hence, it is quite difficult to get into a premier school's doctoral program.
However, with your good analytical prowess, if you can convince the adcom that you are interested in the research aspect of Strategy management things should be easy for you. Any publication or participation in B Plan contests can come in handy here.

Most importantly, take the doctoral route only when you are really interested in research. Your life can get miserable if you enroll for a Ph.D program just to get into a good school.
Best wishes

hi

i'm clear on my research interests - what i'm worried about is whether teh score is gud enuf considering the small size of doctoral programs ...

I agree I think this thread should be there as there not many / any thread concerning PhD discussions.

I would like to pursue research in area of innovation, tech and emerging economies. Does any one know which schools are good?

I would like to ask *you* reasons why you think a 740 would keep you out from a Phd program and then provide you reasons against it. I mean this is tougher than the toughest Mensa puzzle - to find a reason why a 740 can keep you out

However, my friend, there are a gazillion reasons why can be kept out. Most notably:

1. Absence of academic intent - you need to, need to have very good GPAs to get into top programs.

2. Lack of prior research work/paper publication - just GPA will not do the trick, your ability to cut through data to find hidden stuff is of prime importance.

3. Inability to justify reasons for Phd - just because I am bored, or want better career options are not good enough. Typically Phd programs require more than 1 essay and almost always an interview.

4. Little of no knowledge in the area of Phd - you can't jump to a Phd in organizational behavior after doing Mtech in Chemical engineering. Get the drift?

etc. etc.

Read this:

What PHd? PHd explained in detail

"I have 740 - will get into a phd program" wont' get you answers - try to articulate it better.

Hope this helps,

Arun

hi

i'm clear on my research interests - what i'm worried about is whether teh score is gud enuf considering the small size of doctoral programs ...

Can you please tell me what you think the "cutoff" should be? 780? 800?

This is an inane question and an inane thread (if this is the only question that need be asked).

Arun
I would like to ask *you* reasons why you think a 740 would keep you out from a Phd program and then provide you reasons against it. I mean this is tougher than the toughest Mensa puzzle - to find a reason why a 740 can keep you out

However, my friend, there are a gazillion reasons why can be kept out. Most notably:

1. Absence of academic intent - you need to, need to have very good GPAs to get into top programs.

2. Lack of prior research work/paper publication - just GPA will not do the trick, your ability to cut through data to find hidden stuff is of prime importance.

3. Inability to justify reasons for Phd - just because I am bored, or want better career options are not good enough. Typically Phd programs require more than 1 essay and almost always an interview.

4. Little of no knowledge in the area of Phd - you can't jump to a Phd in organizational behavior after doing Mtech in Chemical engineering. Get the drift?

etc. etc.

Read this:

What PHd? PHd explained in detail

"I have 740 - will get into a phd program" wont' get you answers - try to articulate it better.

Hope this helps,

Arun

thanks arun,

it does help to put my plans to more intensive brainstorming :)

also, sometime before this post, i had successfully got over the "is 740 enough" question (answer: "stop worrying and start writing essays" 😐 )

as for the inane nature of this thread, i guess i was wrong to expect a discussion on a program that barely anyone goes for (atleast anyone on these forums)

thanks anyways for making the effort to come up with some genuine lines of questioning :)

cheers etc...

Firstly, thank you very much for taking my comments positively

Here are some next steps:

1. Do some R&D; on the courses you are looking at and try to find profiles of people who have done it in the past. See if you match the critera.

2. Choose your area of interest and write a brief writeup on your profile/ experience etc along those lines. Mail the professors directly (it is called a "suck" letter).

3. GMAT should certainly not be a problem but workexperience, profile-fit etc might be.

4. Ask the mods to change the thread (or perhaps open a new one) calling people interested in Doctoral Management programs in the US.

You would be set in the right direction! :)

Take care and let me know if you have any specific questions. Just to let you know almost all management Phds at top school require an MBA from a premier school PLUS workexperience in the field.

Arun