GIM gd/pi

as the gim gd/pi are fast approaching . many of the pg’s having not cleared sibm ,xlri, ximb (like me) ,i hope we should come together to discuss the calls, previous years gd’pi experience, info about the institute. i would be happy if replies sta…

as the gim gd/pi are fast approaching . many of the pg's having not cleared sibm ,xlri, ximb (like me) ,i hope we should come together to discuss the calls, previous years gd'pi experience, info about the institute. i would be happy if replies start pouring in

I am having it on 9th. Talked to a senior there. He said in GD you also have to be good at listening as you have to make points at the end. There will be 2 rounds on interview of 15 min each one of which will be technical(based on background)
Good luck to all.

guys n gals , aren't there any one else who has applied to gim. yaar please do contribute. seniors plz help.

i had just filled the gim call..as i wanted to have at least attended a pi if i didn't had a ximb or sibm call..now i had both but sibm rejected me..and ximb on 7th..i have gim call on 8th of this month..in kolkata..in afix whetyher to go or not..as parents dont want me to study in goa...how is goa..plz reply anyone whats placement scene

hi,

first of all sanipi, there are many threads on GIM and Gary and Me have given all the info( placements,faculty etc) on those threads.pls go through them and u will be able to decide for yourself whether to go for the inst. or not. I can understand that the first thing that comes to mind when anyone says the word "Goa" is sun, sand and alcohol. And i dare say, THATS TRUE. But that doesn't mean that we dont study here. Ulimately if u want good MBA training it doesnt matter if its Goa or Andaman( we will talk abt the location factor later) The placements are picking up and this year median sal. has been 4 lacs( no data fudging) with good companies like HDFC, MASTEK,WIPRO,TCS,SATYAM,ICICI,CRANES,ZEE,DCB,HCL,NICHOLAS PIRAMAL,ASHOK LEYLAND,KOTAK ETC coming to the campus. XL and XIM are better than GIM but GIM will be a good fallback option if u dont get through XIM.Given all the data, its for u to decide( I can assure u that the faculty and infra(databases, journals) is great although the campus is no great shakes....we also have a decent library) There is a locational disadvantage but that doesnt affect placements too much.

Regarding the Interviews, me and gary had posted our experiences last year...however i will write down whatever i can remember abt my GD/PI expereinces:

My GD was in Bangalore on 9th march( not very sure) at 8:45 am( this, i am sure because of the obviously (un)attractive timing). We were totally 15 people for that slot. We were divided into groupsof 8 and 7 for the GD and each of the two profesors took separate GD's. My topic was " Education and Success--Is there a Correlation". Yours truly started off with the GD which was then taken up by another guy who also got thru and is currently studying with me at GIM. I said that there is a correlation between the two and maintained that stand throughout. One good thing i did was to substantiate my views with the help of real life examples. The real challenge was to contradict people who brought in examples like Dhirubhai Ambani who had no formal education and yet succesful. U then try and think out of the box by saying what education means to you and all that crap. Basically if you have taken a stand,do not shift or atleast don't lose a verbal fight to others who give in some valid and logical points. At the same time be careful not to go completely off the track. One person took a stand and then contradicted himself due to which he surely must have lost out. Also don't speak too much in a GD. Divide the total time of the GD(say 15 mins here) and the total number of people( here which gives u roughly the total time u shd speak( 2 mins here). Try to speak for 4 to5 times amd make sense when u speak either by giving a new flow of thought to the group or supporting others' point( if u are out of points). Listening to others is equally importnat. Don't unnecessarily interrupt others immediately after they start speaking.

Everyone has to go through two rounds of interview, one with each prof. For me one was a HR interview and one a slightly technical interview. The HR interview was a typical HR interview with questions like hobbies, family, critical incidents in life etc being asked. In the other interview i was asked abt my Graduation Projects and low math percentile of XAT. Typical "WHY MBA" question followed wherein i was grilled a lot eventhough i prepared very well for that question.

3 students from my GD were selected and all of them have joined. Towards the end your success in GD/PI depends on how well u can anticipate the kind of questions that will be asked to u depending on your CV and how well you are prepared for it. Top this with some "on the spot" logical thinking and no one can stop you from cruising through the GD/PI.

Best of Luck

fabulist(shashi)

thanks fabulist, i also wanted another bit of info ,i am a ece engineer ,i am interested in hrd,what are the prospects of hr in gim.

Hi Fabulist

That was a nice post pal. I am scheduled to attend the GD/ PI at 2.30 PM in Bangalore. Thanks a lot for your info on the campus and faculty. Tell me fabulist, how would you rate GIM as against BIM among the XAt affiliated institutes and as against institutes of similar or slightly higher / lower reputation like TAPMI, IMI, Fore, UBS, Nirma, KJS, NMIMS etc. As I am looking for admission into one of these institutes I will be garetful if you can throw some light.

Karthik

hi,

first of all sanipi, there are many threads on GIM and Gary and Me have given all the info( placements,faculty etc) on those threads.pls go through them and u will be able to decide for yourself whether to go for the inst. or not. I can understand that the first thing that comes to mind when anyone says the word "Goa" is sun, sand and alcohol. And i dare say, THATS TRUE. But that doesn't mean that we dont study here. Ulimately if u want good MBA training it doesnt matter if its Goa or Andaman( we will talk abt the location factor later) The placements are picking up and this year median sal. has been 4 lacs( no data fudging) with good companies like HDFC, MASTEK,WIPRO,TCS,SATYAM,ICICI,CRANES,ZEE,DCB,HCL,NICHOLAS PIRAMAL,ASHOK LEYLAND,KOTAK ETC coming to the campus. XL and XIM are better than GIM but GIM will be a good fallback option if u dont get through XIM.Given all the data, its for u to decide( I can assure u that the faculty and infra(databases, journals) is great although the campus is no great shakes....we also have a decent library) There is a locational disadvantage but that doesnt affect placements too much.

Regarding the Interviews, me and gary had posted our experiences last year...however i will write down whatever i can remember abt my GD/PI expereinces:

My GD was in Bangalore on 9th march( not very sure) at 8:45 am( this, i am sure because of the obviously (un)attractive timing). We were totally 15 people for that slot. We were divided into groupsof 8 and 7 for the GD and each of the two profesors took separate GD's. My topic was " Education and Success--Is there a Correlation". Yours truly started off with the GD which was then taken up by another guy who also got thru and is currently studying with me at GIM. I said that there is a correlation between the two and maintained that stand throughout. One good thing i did was to substantiate my views with the help of real life examples. The real challenge was to contradict people who brought in examples like Dhirubhai Ambani who had no formal education and yet succesful. U then try and think out of the box by saying what education means to you and all that crap. Basically if you have taken a stand,do not shift or atleast don't lose a verbal fight to others who give in some valid and logical points. At the same time be careful not to go completely off the track. One person took a stand and then contradicted himself due to which he surely must have lost out. Also don't speak too much in a GD. Divide the total time of the GD(say 15 mins here) and the total number of people( here which gives u roughly the total time u shd speak( 2 mins here). Try to speak for 4 to5 times amd make sense when u speak either by giving a new flow of thought to the group or supporting others' point( if u are out of points). Listening to others is equally importnat. Don't unnecessarily interrupt others immediately after they start speaking.

Everyone has to go through two rounds of interview, one with each prof. For me one was a HR interview and one a slightly technical interview. The HR interview was a typical HR interview with questions like hobbies, family, critical incidents in life etc being asked. In the other interview i was asked abt my Graduation Projects and low math percentile of XAT. Typical "WHY MBA" question followed wherein i was grilled a lot eventhough i prepared very well for that question.

3 students from my GD were selected and all of them have joined. Towards the end your success in GD/PI depends on how well u can anticipate the kind of questions that will be asked to u depending on your CV and how well you are prepared for it. Top this with some "on the spot" logical thinking and no one can stop you from cruising through the GD/PI.

Best of Luck

fabulist(shashi)

Hi fabulist
Can u pls throw some light on the lateral placements in GIM. And whats the ration of students with MORE than 2+ yrs work ex to that of less than 2 yrs of work ex. Also what was the highest salary this yr and whats the average salary for people with 2+ yrs of work ex.
Rgds
KKA

Many queries there...will answer one by one:

1. First of all, Kumarjit, i am sorry to say but GIM is not the place for u if u want to specialize in HR. The top specializations here are Marketing,Systems and Finance in that order. The faculty for HR is good, but in terms of placements, fewer companies take people with core HR. If u want to major in HR look for places like XL,TISS,SCMHRD etc. However, there are many people with combinations like Marketing+HR and Systems+HR which would help them get an HR job in say a systems company which in my opinion is good enough.Not many consulting firms come to campus which would be another problem. So u can take HR as a minor course and major in some other area.

2. for RDKP: In XAT i would put XL and XIM ahead of GIM. SIBM would score over GIM due to locational advantage(which affects placements). Among other inst. u have mentioned, NMIMS scores over GIM. Although TAPMI has a good brand name, it too suffers from locational disadvantage and isquite costly a course.

3. for KKA: PPl with work ex do get higher salries here and that depends on the number of years of work ex u have and most importantly the quality of work ex. I wouldnt be able to give u the avg figures for work ex ppl right now, but overall, the median salary for a batch of 105 students was 4 lacs this year.

fabulist(shashi)

thank u fabulist for all the answers, it has really helped me. now i plan to take either marketing or finance as the core subjet. i wanted another info, transport facilities from goa to other parts of india , say kolkata(where i live), is it good

Hi Shashi,
I talked to Gary online a few days ago and he told me about you. Thanks for all the help you two have been giving us.
Well, I am coming from Hyderabad to Goa on 8th March(have the process on 9th). I'll get down at Panaji. Can you tell me how much will a rickshaw charge me upto Hotel Seema in Ribander and how far is GIM from that hotel?
I hope I meet you at Goa.
Regards.

hi,

Kumarjit:the trans port facilities from Goa to Kolkata is either Train or Air.by train also one doesnt get a direct train , so one has to go via Mumbai.i.e. Kolkota-mumbai and then mumbai-goa on the Konkan railway route. From mumbai , one can also come by Bus .

Ullu_ka_patta: The rickshaw may charge you about 60 bucks to come to Ribander .
also hotel Seema is about 5 mins walking distance from GIM Campus .

Gary aka Spidey

thanks spiderman, by the way it is avery nice name SPIDERMAN . in my opoinion goa is avery hot destination for businessman, as new companies are shifting there, especially pharma comp's

What is the batch size ?? ( current year) !! I got 88. 1%ile what are my chances in GIM? I have work-exp

thnks fabulist for ur fabuls work...

plz if u culd tell bout the batch size n the fee structure of 'gim' n how many ppl can choose a particular branch....

Hey guys any idea wat time wud the 8:30 batch GD/PI process wud be over@mumbai centre?

I need to reserve the rail tickets with respect to that....

gary,fabu....any idea?

thanks for the good wishes guys but it is my responsibilty to help u guys as i had been in the same position a year ago and was in need to guidance myself.

to bug:

the batch this year is 105( altho officially we have 120 seats, all are not filled up) About the fee structure, please have a look at your prospectus for that as the fees might have been revised. U can complete your course in 3.5 lacs i guess quite comfortably.

A particular branch can be chosen by any number of ppl. GIM doesnt mention the specializations in the final memo. It gives a general MBA degree. Specializations are encourage only with a point of view of placements.

to mik:

if i remember rightly, my GD/PI process was over by around 12:30-1:00 pm (it started at 9 am) u can book your tickets sometime in the afternoon, say around 2 which would be a good time as the next GD/PI in our case started at 1:45.

best wishes,
fabulist aka shashi

to mik:

if i remember rightly, my GD/PI process was over by around 12:30-1:00 pm (it started at 9 am) u can book your tickets sometime in the afternoon, say around 2 which would be a good time as the next GD/PI in our case started at 1:45.

thnx fabu.

Hey anyone with batch timing other than 8:30@mumbai??

hey fabulist and spiderman,
this is shruti here...wanted to ask tht what would be the weightage given to the xat percentile in the finalselection process(only if u know)...my xat percentile is 95.6...do i stand a fair chance?and what were your percentiles in xat(ahem...am i asking for to much?...;)...if i am...kindly ignore this part...
anyway hope to join ya ppl in goa...(nvr been to goa)...would be extremely excited...(AMEN!):):)
thanx so much buddies ...ur posts r always a pleasure to read(and definetly not to forget ..enlightening...!)