Gap in education !!!

Hi , I have a gap of 2 yrs between 12th and BE course. Considering 4.5yrs+ s/w and managerial work-ex including international ex , Could some one tell me how tougher it could make a good admit for me, considering GMAT score of 700+ ? :neutra…

Hi ,

I have a gap of 2 yrs between 12th and BE course. Considering 4.5yrs+ s/w and managerial work-ex including international ex , Could some one tell me how tougher it could make a good admit for me, considering GMAT score of 700+ ? :neutral::neutral:

Hi ,

I have a gap of 2 yrs between 12th and BE course. Considering 4.5yrs+ s/w and managerial work-ex including international ex , Could some one tell me how tougher it could make a good admit for me, considering GMAT score of 700+ ? :neutral::neutral:

Welcome to PG.....

You can find some info on this threaD:
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/gmat-query-centre-25014954

All the best.

Hi, me too have gap , it took me 3 yrs to qualify IIT-JEE, now in final year how tough it makes this year for cat

Aah... gaps in your education, and how do they affect your chances for getting into an MBA???

Now, here's the catch...

AFAIK, even for colleges which do profile based shortlisting, the scores are the main things taken into account. Workex taken into account is only after graduation. So, IMHO, the gaps don't really matter.

Where do gaps matter? If you are a fresher, and you've taken a gap year to prepare for CAT and give it then, then it matters. Otherwise, it doesn't. And where does it matter? When, and if, it comes up in your personal interview, after you get shortlisted.

Let me give you my example. I have three gap years. Yes, 3. How? Here goes:

The first gap year was because I took an extra year to finish my undergraduation. Id est, I did a diploma in engineering. If I'd done a BE, it wouldn't have mattered, but I didn't, so it did.

The next gap year was because I took a year off after finishing my diploma and before starting my BSc. That was because I spent a better half of that year trying to push my a$$ into a BE, but since it didn't work out, I was left high and dry for the rest of the period.

Now, when I started off in my BSc., people who had given their SSC with me entered their final year of graduation. Work that out into how many years I lost.

The final gap year I took was after my graduation to prepare for CAT. As I said, it is the most dangerous thing to do, if you don't have answers to justify for it. I didn't know this at the beginning, but was able to get answers ready by the end of it. I did a couple of resume building exercises and a few work projects, which also netted me a decent cash amount...

Fortunately or unfortunately, neither of my first two gap years featured in the interviews that I gave. The one htat features was the post graduation gap year. As I said, I had answers ready for that. So I was safe.

What really matters for shortlisting is the numbers you have. If you've done something better than just twiddling your thumbs during the gap years, well and good. Be ready to justify the gap years with substantial reasons in the interview. That usually clinches matters.

Anything more? Ask away.

Regards,
Grondmaster

Hi,I am working in a S/W company and have 4.5+ years of experience. I am planning to take 2-3 months leave and prepare for the GMAT. Will that be a problem while in personal interviews?Do we need to take leave and prepare for GMAT ? I have just started to prepare fot it. I have no idea how much of effort it takes to prepare for it and do we need to take some leave?I have one option to be on without pay from office still i will employed there, its called LOA, leave of absence. We can take it for our exams or personal reasons.Regards,Samir.

Well, it depends on the person and his/her dedication! I dont think that i would be taking leave for GMAT prep.And about leave question in PI...i was wondering how the school would come to know abt leave u would be taking ??:

you need not worry. the adcom is not worried much about what happened to you before college.

Only if you are leaving the company for GMAT prep, adcom might be bothered about it.
If you are just taking leave how will they be able to find out ( Unless you tell them ) ?

Time for preparation depends on lots of factors such as your current level, your GMAT score requirement, number of hours you can put per day etc. While many believe that 2 - 4 months are enough, it is just an average calc. You are the best person to decide the time you need. Giving one Mock GMAT from GMATprep ( download from mba.com ) may be a helpful input for the decision.

All the best.

wizard_samir Says
Hi,I am working in a S/W company and have 4.5+ years of experience. I am planning to take 2-3 months leave and prepare for the GMAT. Will that be a problem while in personal interviews?Do we need to take leave and prepare for GMAT ? I have just started to prepare fot it. I have no idea how much of effort it takes to prepare for it and do we need to take some leave?I have one option to be on without pay from office still i will employed there, its called LOA, leave of absence. We can take it for our exams or personal reasons.Regards,Samir.