dropping a year after engg for cat??????

I hv cmpltd my engg in IT dis year n i m highly confused abt dropping a year or not. though i hv been placed in infi n accenture bt dats nt wat i wnt 2 do.i hv to go 4 mba 4 sure. i had gvn CAT last year in an awaiee manner(w/o ny prep) n scor…

I hv cmpltd my engg in IT dis year n i m highly confused abt dropping a year or not.
though i hv been placed in infi n accenture bt dats nt wat i wnt 2 do.i hv to go 4 mba 4 sure.
i had gvn CAT last year in an awaiee manner(w/o ny prep) n scored such a shit(60 percentile):banghead:
i hv 2 tk decision n hope will get sum help 4m here:banghead:

I hv cmpltd my engg in IT dis year n i m highly confused abt dropping a year or not.
though i hv been placed in infi n accenture bt dats nt wat i wnt 2 do.i hv to go 4 mba 4 sure.
i had gvn CAT last year in an awaiee manner(w/o ny prep) n scored such a shit(60 percentile):banghead:

it's better for you to apply for MBA after some work experience which will help you in MBA entrance exams & give extra weightage to your profile(suggest only if you are obstinate) or else go for MBA as soon as possible

bt i hv heard its v difficult 2 go back 2 studies aftr job plus it wud b really difficult 2 take out time 4 prep along wid job.i dunno if both things can go hand in hand

look..please don't take drop...while work ex adds to your profile,it also adds up to your maturity level..also it is very stressing to sudy after taking a drop as one then is in a situation of make it or break it.a drop also renders you ineffective in an interview as it somehow shows that we are inefficient at multitasking...even though this may not be the case...also taking a drop after engg is foolishness as its one degree that almost guarantees a job in india...i was myself a dropper for the last season...though i have a bba so no other option was in the kitty for me!! please take proper guidance!!!

hi
it really depends upon u if u can pull ur preps along wid ur work
it wud be wrong to say its impossible 2 do so,coz at an average any good bschool has around 60% people wid workex
if u do drop,it wud be a make or break situation coz u need to get an admission dis year esle engineering+2yrs drop is gona malign ur profile greatly
also CAT is very unpredicatble these days so u cannot really sit on that for ur career.
its always good to have a fall back option

there is no use of taking a drop..it would waste your time without any value-addition... and if u work in accenture or infosys,, u will gain some great experience and value addition..and even after completion of your MBA this work-ex factor will help you fetch a job with a higher package..work -ex people do get an advantage...

the bottom line is : grab the job and keep working hard for CAT.work-ex would help u a lot

P.S : i am a fresher but have seen people having work-ex getting preference

There is no hard and fast rule that work-ex ppl are preferred over one without work-ex. It's true that it will add much value to your profile but what's the point if you don't want to continue with this field. If you feel that you would not be able to make a sure shot entry into your favourite b-school while working, then drop it. But then if you have not prepared well since your previous attempt and planning to start prep for CAT 2011 now, then better join the job. because in 4 months it will be very tough to increase your percentile from 60 to 98-99. And if u had been working on it since last CAT,if u feel IT is not the stuff for u - then go for it. Plan well, study hard and get there where you want yourself to be. Most of the guys keep on taking CAT year after year while working and get stuck with a 96-97 every time. And finally after 4-5 yrs of work-ex, they get into a good college. You would not like to do that as you don't like IT. Views and Groans are welcome.

First of all this is not the right place to post this question. Please post these kind of queries here

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/personal-career-cat-job-dilemma-queries-a-repository-25009670

Coming to the answer of this question.

1. You might know that more than 50% of the people who get through CAT are experienced guys.All these guys prepare for CAT along with their work. You always have a span of 2-3 years and even more to crack CAT.
  2. Many institutes have weight-age for experience. Although it might be little for less than one year of experience, it has some value which is still better than someone who has none.
  3. CAT is not a subjective exam like IITJEE or IAS where you need to do extensive study. You need to be clear in your concepts and apply them well. Even if someone hasn't ever prepared for CAT, a 3-4 month regular preparation should be more than enough.

Moreover both companies and institutes don't take it well that you were sitting at home preparing for CAT. So my advice will be to take up the job and prepare side by side. If you have the will to work hard and crack CAT you will succeed against all odds.

@Mods please close this thread.

hey i KINDA had a same query i worked some wat hard last yr and scored 85.92 %ile :splat::splat:in cat and 65.5 :splat::splat:score in jmet.... ALONG WID MY 8 backs in electronics and telecom... i cleared all and was got selected in patni computers too....
I Aspire to get into some business venture later in my life and at the same time dont want to compromise with the college i take the degree...converted imt-dcp dis year and left it...
i really dont want to create a profile....wasting long years creating codes...wen i know i am meant to speak and write...to humans in NATIVE english...not in binaries...
but at the same time it is a huge risk....and there is pressure and insomnia wen i get to serious preps... !! suggestions plz

thnk u all for ur useful suggestions bt wat i m perplexed abt is dat if it wud b pssbl 4 me 2 prepare along wid job cz i hv heard dese companies literally grind u in working hours n deres hardly ny time or energy left 4 frthr studies
i m really afraid dat in d end if i wud b stuck wid job n wnt b able 2 prepare well wid all my energy whch i cn b dun nw plus deres no use f dng wat i knw dat i really dnt wnt 2 do ..sitting in frnt f pc n coding...noooo
y 2 waste my time in dng smthng dat i dnt wnt 2 do

droppin a yr is not a gud decision anytime.........cat is about hard work but a lot of smart work.......
If u still wish for it then be prepared with a good explanation......because the admission panel will grill u on this one.........so the decision is upto u.
BTW which college r u from in bareilly.....i am frm SRMS.

thnk u all for ur useful suggestions bt wat i m perplexed abt is dat if it wud b pssbl 4 me 2 prepare along wid job cz i hv heard dese companies literally grind u in working hours n deres hardly ny time or energy left 4 frthr studies
i m really afraid dat in d end if i wud b stuck wid job n wnt b able 2 prepare well wid all my energy whch i cn b dun nw plus deres no use f dng wat i knw dat i really dnt wnt 2 do ..sitting in frnt f pc n coding...noooo
y 2 waste my time in dng smthng dat i dnt wnt 2 do

See , there is no set formula for success ;it all depends on one"s willingness to work hard ..i believe u still have not got your joining date , prepare hard and continue your preparation simultaneously with your job..Work ex will add on your personality..definitely it"ll help you lot and moreover other options like GMAT would also be opened up.So, i think it"s always win-win situation for you..

I was in a similar situation last year when I scored 61 %ile n completed my B.Tech in E&C; without any placement. I had no option but to prepare for CAT 2010. I scored 96 %ile this year n now I'm going to IIM-Ranchi. During the drop I had to face the humiliating questions like, "Your B.Tech completed last year na? What are you still doing at home? "
During my interview process I realized that with the same score n atleast 3 years work experience, I would have got into IIM-Ahmedabad. So the choice is yours. And I've friends in Infy, they are preparing for CAT 2011 and some even for CAT 2012 and CAT 2013. They get plenty of time to study and work and have fun. What you have to see how determined YOU are! All the best!

droppin a yr is not a gud decision anytime.........cat is about hard work but a lot of smart work.......
If u still wish for it then be prepared with a good explanation......because the admission panel will grill u on this one.........so the decision is upto u.
BTW which college r u from in bareilly.....i am frm SRMS.

hmmmm...i m 4m BRLY bt did my b.tech 4m GALGOTIAS grtr noida

hmmm..so i think its btr 2 go 4 accenture nw n prepare (i jst wish i remain obstinate):|
thnk u all 4 ur suggestions:D

PRIYA5190 Says
bt i hv heard its v difficult 2 go back 2 studies aftr job plus it wud b really difficult 2 take out time 4 prep along wid job.i dunno if both things can go hand in hand

@Priya5090...

Whatever you have written is very true as because you are given a particular responsibilty at your office and you need to carry it out and you cannot escape it always if working you need to put your office work at first priority and then your preps.........

Its really tough and difficult for both to go both hand in hand.... as I am in Telecom from the past three years and trying for CAT-2011 believe me its very exhaustive....tough to manage....

As the time goes on and you gain more experience and with it comes more responsibilities...your job doesn't only need that 8 hours you give in office but more than that and it will surely eat your prep time and thus I have decided to quit and its my very own personal decision....

This is not to demotivate anyone but that is what we called reality....as I am in it......

Rest all depends upon the last call will be yours.....