Do people get the $ salary jobs ?

From all the discussions around PG, what I can gather is that getting an admit to a decent US Bschool is not that tough if one scores 700+ in the GMAT. Paying for it is what is actually difficult. Seems like loans are available everywhere. Bu…

From all the discussions around PG, what I can gather is that getting an admit to a decent US Bschool is not that tough if one scores 700+ in the GMAT.

Paying for it is what is actually difficult. Seems like loans are available everywhere. But paying those loans back with a Rupee salary in India seems pretty much imposible to me.

The chance that I may have to come back to India for a job is too huge a risk. So what ratio of the people who actually do a US MBA actually end up with jobs there that pay (atleast???) a 60K $ salary so that the loans can be paid back within a few years ?

From all the discussions around PG, what I can gather is that getting an admit to a decent US Bschool is not that tough if one scores 700+ in the GMAT.

Paying for it is what is actually difficult. Seems like loans are available everywhere. But paying those loans back with a Rupee salary in India seems pretty much imposible to me.

The chance that I may have to come back to India for a job is too huge a risk. So what ratio of the people who actually do a US MBA actually end up with jobs there that pay (atleast???) a 60K $ salary so that the loans can be paid back within a few years ?

think u can continue either here or here..

This is a good question. I think i have some links to scare you a bit. Scared the hell outta me.....:

1. On this page, search for "caution" :

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/phoren-b-school-assistance-desk-25014956

2. http://www.collegejournal.com/bschoolrankings/bschoolreport/20010430-hankins-broken_dreams.html

3. http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_51/b3813112.htm

As confused as you are bro .... keep us posted if you get some new info regarding this. Had searched around a lot, and got only bad news, heh heh.
Think that it is tougher getting a good job outside, if you don't have much work-ex, or are looking for a sales or marketing function.

Think about it this way: If HLL wanted a person to head their regional marketing division, whom whould they choose, when they go for placements to any top Indian Bschool ? A person who has always lived in India, or a person who's come from outside for an MBA. In such a job, you need knowledge of the culture you are to work in. :satisfie:

After studying in the US, you NEED to work there for a couple of years so as to be able to pay off your loan. Marketing jobs, in my opinion, will be very difficult to get. Pure finance-techi jobs, on the other hand, should not be much of a problem. :)

The fav quote of a Columbia alum - better to be a big fish in a small pond, than be fish food, in a big pond. (humour's mine :))

My opinion. Outside, the top bschools, will be diff, esp if u r looking for a non-techi job. If u r not getting something in the top20, go down only if u are getting a fee waiver. Don't take a heavy loan.

Do post here again....

:confused: PS: Alumni, the knowledgeable - help needed here!!! :(

Adios!!!
think u can continue either here or here..

Errr...I think those threads are good but not relevant to the post I made. Not talking about desi salaries.

Rather I'd like to know what happens after the US MBA ? Never seen posts by people telling us their post US MBA experiences. Those who are actually studying there or have recently accepted admits MUST have done research on this ! Paying back a Dollar loan with a Rupee salary could kill anyone !
Errr...I don't think those threads are good but not relevant to the post I made. Not talking about desi salaries.

Rather I'd like to know what happens after the US MBA ? Never seen posts by people telling us their post US MBA experiences. Those who are actually studying there or have recently accepted admits MUST have done research on this ! Paying back a Dollar loan with a Rupee salary could kill anyone !

then contact Simba, The W-MOD.. u can find her in here..

1) The GMAT (unfortunately) is only one parameter on which your application is judged. A 700+ GMAT does not gaurantee anything. A good score will adorn your resume (esp. for consulting and banking) but there is much more to a successful application.

2) Most schools publish salary statistics based on certain guidelines which include salary details for international students. Get the facts from the school you plan to apply to. Caveat: The salary information is self-reported (read: expect some inflation of numbers)

If you need to return to India immediately after your MBA and money is a constraint - better look at courses in India. I personally opted to earn some $ before school to reduce the financial burden post MBA.

Scholarships can help. Internships allow you to earn a bit. You can opt for an on-campus job in the 2nd year.

Certain industries / functions are more open to internationals - banking, consulting, tech. Its always useful to have some US experience to demonstrate your performance in an international setting.

Bottomline: Look before you leap. Take calculated risks......'nuff said.