CAT/Current Job related Dilemma Queries!!

Hi all Though Personal/Career/CAT-Job dilemma thread has been a great success, we have observed that there are good number of puys who end up not posting their query on the thread because they get confused with the name. So, we have dec…

Hi all

Though Personal/Career/CAT-Job dilemma thread has been a great success, we have observed that there are good number of puys who end up not posting their query on the thread because they get confused with the name.

So, we have decided to come up with the series of threads with the purpose being more focussed on the most frequently asked issues.

Starting off with the series, here is the thread to discuss all the dilemma which any of us is facing as an individual with respect to CAT preparation or the current job.

Please feel free to share any situation which is the cause of dilemma in which you think puys can help you by giving appropiate suggestions!! We are sure one or the other senior Puys will respond appropiately. 😃

Link to older thread for reference : http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/personal-career-cat-job-dilemma-queries-a-repository-25009670

Cheers!

Hi everyone. I am new to pg.
I am going through a tough time. I am preparing for CAT 2011 and getting percentile in the range of 75-85 in CL Mock Test series. Adding to this distress is the worry that I have dropped a year and might not get selected anywhere :(

Here is my background :
Have excellent academics.Graduated in economics in 2010 and joined one of the Big 4's. Was finding it difficult to juggle between studies and work as I had to travel a lot to other cities for work. Left the job after 6 months and started preparing for CAT. I did get job offers but didn take them up. Till the time the gd/pi would happen (jan-feb), it would be almost 1 year of being unemployed.

The thought that how would i defend this action of dropping a year is making me go bonkers. It is not that I have only studied in this year, I have been volunteering with an international NGO. Is that enough? will i be rejected because of this drop year?

Please pour in your views. I am unable to concentrate on my preparation !!!!!! :(:(
P.S. : Sorry for making you read a longggg post!

Seniors,

I am a 2011 B.Tech . passout.

I am currently working in my dad's business( an industry) .. Can anyone please help me what is the proof that i will need to produce during interview if i mention it as my work experience..In my case there wont be any payslip, as its my family business... Please reply asap .. last date to edit the form is 4th oct :(

Priya ,

If you have already taken some decision , then there is no going back .
As you have already quit your job long back and CAT is just one month away , only thing you should think now is about CAT score only .
you get a chance to defend your decision only once you face interview panal , and to reach there you have to get a good score .

had i been at your place , i would slog myself hard in these last days to get a overpar score then think about anything else later.

You will have atleast 3 months to think about that after CAT , so dont get nervous unwantedly and do what you can do best.

Hi,
I have posted my questions earlier but did not get satisfying reply.. So asking the questions again.. Following is my current profile:
1. Acads are average (10th: 75%, 12th: 80%, BE comp: 60% aggregate and from an average engineering college)
2. Workex: 6.4 Yrs till date, Software, Finance domain (6.2 Yrs with a small startup company and now 2 months in a MNC)

I am thinking of doing an MBA in finance so that I can move to some finance job in a financial institure or a business analyst job in a software firm and move away from technology.

Am from a middle class family and the only earner in my family of 4 (me, wife, baby and mother). Will leaving the job and getting a full time 2 Yr MBA be worthwhile in terms of ROI? Especially considering the fact that I will loose my salary for 2 years..

Also, will my average acads adversely affect my chances in getting a top b-school in india even if I get a good score in CAT?

Hi,
I have posted my questions earlier but did not get satisfying reply.. So asking the questions again.. Following is my current profile:
1. Acads are average (10th: 75%, 12th: 80%, BE comp: 60% aggregate and from an average engineering college)
2. Workex: 6.4 Yrs till date, Software, Finance domain (6.2 Yrs with a small startup company and now 2 months in a MNC)

I am thinking of doing an MBA in finance so that I can move to some finance job in a financial institure or a business analyst job in a software firm and move away from technology.

Am from a middle class family and the only earner in my family of 4 (me, wife, baby and mother). Will leaving the job and getting a full time 2 Yr MBA be worthwhile in terms of ROI? Especially considering the fact that I will loose my salary for 2 years..

Also, will my average acads adversely affect my chances in getting a top b-school in india even if I get a good score in CAT?

Ask Yourself three question :

1.Why you want to do two year MBA (for carrier Growth some Other options too even you can go for part-time or weeked or distace learning Programme.
2.Are you Confident of your Success in MBA entrace Exam(CAT or other
dont think about acadamic records.its ok not bad)
3.Do you have proper saving for two Year MBA as you said you are the only earner in your family.

First satisfy yourself with the above question then I dont think so you need any help from others regardig this dellima.

Thanks for the quick reply gaurav.
Basically, working with a small company gave me exposure to client business problems and the functional aspects of the software projects besides other typical software technical stuff. I realized that I enjoy interacting with clients, understanding their business, the problems they are facing, providing solutions to their problems.. more than the technology stuff I need to do.
I left my earlier company (after 6+ years) just because I had become a jack of all trades and could not properly align my career aspirations with the company aspirations. I wanted to slowly move into some BA (business analyst) kind of role and gradually do away from the technology. But that never happened and I had no option but to leave the company. I joined an MNC 2 months back and its still the same. In the interview, I was promised that they will try and match my aspirations to the profile I am being offered. but that does not seem to be the case. Though 2 months is pretty short time, I think going for a full time MBA would provide me a direct opportunity to move into BA kind of role or even the finance specific role (as I have worked in finance domain)..

Though I never tried for CAT earlier, I think with proper planning and preparation I will be able to get good score.

In terms of financial health of my family, I can manage enough funds so that my family can survive for 2 years. But I will have to go for loans to fund my tution fees.

Thanks for the quick reply gaurav.
Basically, working with a small company gave me exposure to client business problems and the functional aspects of the software projects besides other typical software technical stuff. I realized that I enjoy interacting with clients, understanding their business, the problems they are facing, providing solutions to their problems.. more than the technology stuff I need to do.
I left my earlier company (after 6+ years) just because I had become a jack of all trades and could not properly align my career aspirations with the company aspirations. I wanted to slowly move into some BA (business analyst) kind of role and gradually do away from the technology. But that never happened and I had no option but to leave the company. I joined an MNC 2 months back and its still the same. In the interview, I was promised that they will try and match my aspirations to the profile I am being offered. but that does not seem to be the case. Though 2 months is pretty short time, I think going for a full time MBA would provide me a direct opportunity to move into BA kind of role or even the finance specific role (as I have worked in finance domain)..

Though I never tried for CAT earlier, I think with proper planning and preparation I will be able to get good score.

In terms of financial health of my family, I can manage enough funds so that my family can survive for 2 years. But I will have to go for loans to fund my tution fees.

My reason is same as yours after working 4 + years in IT field, I realised that most of the problem because of mis-management and i can make a big differece in this area that is why i decided to do MBA so that i can work area of my intrest. Anyone can grow only when he/she start lovig his/her Job and it can happen only when one should realise his area of intrest and start working in it.

so go for your plan dear. I am sure your acedemic score will not play a big role if you will score Good compare than others ,

My Best wishes with you 😃

I am currently working in my dad's business( an industry) .. Can anyone please help me what is the proof that i will need to produce during interview if i mention it as my work experience..In my case there wont be any payslip, as its my family business... Please reply asap .. last date to edit the form is 4th oct

Hi

You need to get a certificate on the letter head of your dad's company stating that you have worked there as full time paid employee OR as one of the key position holders as it was your family owned business. The letter/certificate needs to be undersigned by the owner of the company/person taking care of recruitment ( if any )

The thought that how would i defend this action of dropping a year is making me go bonkers. It is not that I have only studied in this year, I have been volunteering with an international NGO. Is that enough? will i be rejected because of this drop year?

Hi

Quite a few people have dropped a year in order to prepare for CAT and have made it to top league B-Schools. So, there is nothing like that one gets rejected by B-Schools just because the year drop.

Also, you have worked for 6 months as well as have been associated with NGO, so there is nothing like you being idle all the time. So, dont be bogged down.

Work hard and concentrate on your preparation to maximize your score. Once you gee the calls, we can always find the answer to justify quitting the job. Till then , dont think about PI as of now and prepare well to pursue your dream.

gaurav,
thanks again for the quick reply.

Can you please also shed some light on the ROI of doing an MBA after having 6-7 yrs of work exp? What I mean is, will it be worthwhile to loose 2 yrs salary and go for an MBA? On an average how much difference will be there in the pay that I will get with what I have now? I know its a bit relative question and there is no straight-forward answer as it depends on your previous exp as well as the current skills one will posses after MBA..But still may be you can help a bit..

gaurav,
thanks again for the quick reply.

Can you please also shed some light on the ROI of doing an MBA after having 6-7 yrs of work exp? What I mean is, will it be worthwhile to loose 2 yrs salary and go for an MBA? On an average how much difference will be there in the pay that I will get with what I have now? I know its a bit relative question and there is no straight-forward answer as it depends on your previous exp as well as the current skills one will posses after MBA..But still may be you can help a bit..

1.ROI depends upon individuals ,An average college student CAN get better JOB than IIM student.
2.I believe after 3-4 years of experience MBA is worth. First experiance the industry as a worker then you can manage workers.
3.Its worthwhile if you cofident about your plan and yourself .You can do better in future compare to current situation not only in terms of money in terms of quality of work iternal satisfaction but again it depends why you want to do MBA only for better package or you have passion for it.
if you want better package i will not suggest you dont go for it but you can think other optios too not only MBA.
4.IIM's and other Institutes reject experianced guys too and select freshers if they deserve.So experiance and previous skills will help you a certain limit only.

Hi All,

I have been working as a Consultant at A.T. Kearney for more than an year now after doing my B.Tech from IIT.

I would like to know how much sense does doing an MBA from IIMs make after this in terms of better job opportunities or should I go abroad for my MBA.

Hello everyone,
new on PG and just hooked on to it.
I am a 2011 B.Tech passout in Mechanical and now working for a MNC automobile company. But after working for a few months here on the production line, I feel a little bored and frustrated from all the technical (not that i was very good in it anyway) and routine stuff.I figure myself working better in a management career. My academics in school were ok (92% in Xth and 85% in XIIth) but college GPA kinda screwed it (58%). I believe I have the potential to crack CAT but after college, my confidence levels have gone to an all time low. And I dont even know if I would ever get a call after that kind of a GPA. I aim to prepare for CAT 2012. and also, I gave CAT 2009 and got an 85%ile (paid for a coaching class but didnt attend it mostly)
Please help me!!! *confused*

Hi there puys. I am an MBA Finance with a PRM certi, I am currently pursuing CFA. Now the thing is I am working with a private Bank as an Investment Adviser for the last 5 months and this is my 1st job. But I wanna shift to more finance related role as my qualifications and interests lie on those lines only. Now am applying to such roles through online portals, company websites etc, but till now I have got only +ve 2 responses. Just had a PI with Credit Suisse 2 days back but screwed it up. Now am not sure how do I tackle my problem, I 100% dont wanna work in my current organization but on the other hand cant understand how to get an opportunity in Risk Analysis, Equity Research or roles on those lines.

Suggestions please puys!!!

Hi there puys. I am an MBA Finance with a PRM certi, I am currently pursuing CFA. Now the thing is I am working with a private Bank as an Investment Adviser for the last 5 months and this is my 1st job. But I wanna shift to more finance related role as my qualifications and interests lie on those lines only. Now am applying to such roles through online portals, company websites etc, but till now I have got only +ve 2 responses. Just had a PI with Credit Suisse 2 days back but screwed it up. Now am not sure how do I tackle my problem, I 100% dont wanna work in my current organization but on the other hand cant understand how to get an opportunity in Risk Analysis, Equity Research or roles on those lines.

Suggestions please puys!!!

Continue what you are doing. Also, try to see if you can get some training or any side activity related to what you want.

More importantly, build your network in the finance world. The more you network, the more chance you have in getting a job with them in their company.

Regards,
Grondmaster
Continue what you are doing. Also, try to see if you can get some training or any side activity related to what you want.

More importantly, build your network in the finance world. The more you network, the more chance you have in getting a job with them in their company.

Regards,
Grondmaster

Thanks.

What kind of training are you talking about. I am writing CFA Level 1 in june 2012, but I guess by that time I will 1 yr work ex in my profile and it will be more difficult to shift to an altogether different role

hello puys.

this is regarding one of my friends..and it's really urgent because decision needs to be taken by today evening so require your valuable advice..

he is working in one of the renowned comapnies and today is his last day at office..he resigned on 15th sept and as per company policy 1 mnth notice period was required to be served....but yesterday only company told him that his resignation was inappropriate and thus have to serve 10 days more...however, he just took 4-5 holidays owing to bad health after resignation..now he is really frustarated because his is planning for CAT and other exams and by serving 10 days more will lessen his time for prep..also they saying if he do not serve 10 days more they will not provide him experience letter(i think that's a sheer blackmailing on their part).

so i also wanted to ask if he do not have exp letter then is there any other document which he can show to prove his work ex...may be a salary slip??
is it really imp to get experience letter??pls advise as he just not want to continue...

hello puys.

this is regarding one of my friends..and it's really urgent because decision needs to be taken by today evening so require your valuable advice..

he is working in one of the renowned comapnies and today is his last day at office..he resigned on 15th sept and as per company policy 1 mnth notice period was required to be served....but yesterday only company told him that his resignation was inappropriate and thus have to serve 10 days more...however, he just took 4-5 holidays owing to bad health after resignation..now he is really frustarated because his is planning for CAT and other exams and by serving 10 days more will lessen his time for prep..also they saying if he do not serve 10 days more they will not provide him experience letter(i think that's a sheer blackmailing on their part).

so i also wanted to ask if he do not have exp letter then is there any other document which he can show to prove his work ex...may be a salary slip??
is it really imp to get experience letter??pls advise as he just not want to continue...

puys pls reply.....
hello puys.

YEs, in my view, the offer letter that he got at the start and last month's salary slip should suffice the requirement.
All the best to him for CAT.