Beginner of MBA.

Hello everyone, I am a Programmer Analyst in a Software MNC in India. I have acquired a year of experience so far. I would like to pursue an MBA degree because of it’s hype among people and it’s luxury. Indeed i am good in presenting, m…

Hello everyone,

I am a Programmer Analyst in a Software MNC in India. I have acquired a year of experience so far.

I would like to pursue an MBA degree because of it's hype among people and it's luxury. Indeed i am good in presenting, managing, Aptitude, communicating. I don't have any specific target like to enter marketing, but people have recommended marketing would suit me.

Can you please tell me what top B Schools both in India and Abroad expect from me?

Hello everyone,

I am a Programmer Analyst in a Software MNC in India. I have acquired a year of experience so far.

I would like to pursue an MBA degree because of it's hype among people and it's luxury. Indeed i am good in presenting, managing, Aptitude, communicating. I don't have any specific target like to enter marketing, but people have recommended marketing would suit me.

Can you please tell me what top B Schools both in India and Abroad expect from me?
My 2 cents are -
Every school has its own criteria. Please vist the thread of schools that you have in mind to more about them. There are mutiple threads going on for ISB Co2013 aspirants, IIMA, IIM B, IIM C etc.
Hello everyone,

I would say reconsider your decision to pursue an MBA. If the motivational factors for pursuing an MBA are "hype" and "luxury" then I think you are better off sitting at home rather than doing an MBA.

To answer your question, what top B schools expect are candidates who are exactly opposite of you i.e. people who have clarity of goals.

Hope this helps.
To answer your question, what top B schools expect are candidates who are exactly opposite of you i.e. people who have clarity of goals.

Hope this helps.
Nice!!!! HA HA HA ... "Hope this helps" in the end was cherry on top of cake.

No offense intended to Sendur!
Sendur Says
I would like to pursue an MBA degree because of it's hype among people and it's luxury.

A lot of folks who are just starting out on their journey have that perception. Unfortunately, the reality can be dramatically different!

So be careful before you take the plunge.

You might be interested in the thoughts shared in this thread.

- Sameer
Author | Beyond The MBA Hype

Thank you for your suggestion Thisguy. But i am new to PG. This is my first thread, if you can explain me more about what you said, it would be very helpful for me...:)

I would say reconsider your decision to pursue an MBA. If the motivational factors for pursuing an MBA are "hype" and "luxury" then I think you are better off sitting at home rather than doing an MBA.

Hope this helps.

Well Talkingbuddha, if i am absolutely right, thanks for your so thought advice, i am here for clarity and not for controversy. I consider your reply, looking more from you. thanks in advance...
Nice!!!! HA HA HA ... "Hope this helps" in the end was cherry on top of cake.

No offense intended to Sendur!

I am not. like i said before to Talking buddha, please comment on my ideas. I belive in learning... Thanks in advance:)
A lot of folks who are just starting out on their journey have that perception. Unfortunately, the reality can be dramatically different!

So be careful before you take the plunge.

You might be interested in the thoughts shared in this thread.

- Sameer

Thanks for your thoughtful response MartianOnEarth. I went thru the thread "MBA a hype or reality?", good one and informative.
I don't know about reality, but i belive in my instincts a lot that has always helped me to be or rather become real. I believe the MBA program will kindle the factors that are actually expected from one for the development of that individual and his environment. I need a change. I belive Change keeps me alive. I have taken all of your informations into account either. I don't know if there are any who were like me, but i will make a difference.
Let's be in touch... Cheers!!!
Thanks for your thoughtful response MartianOnEarth. I went thru the thread "MBA a hype or reality?", good one and informative.

Good to see that you've handled the not-so-flattering responses from apne bhai log out here pretty maturely. Don't take it personally, but do try to think about why you got such dramatic responses from people who don't even know you (they were reacting to the idea, not the person)

Spend some time to carry out your own research about what an MBA can do for YOU, based on your post_MBA goals. Be objective about the whole thing, don't let peer pressure or glamour (and of course hype) drive your decisions.

I'm sure your final decisions will be well though-out.

Baaki sab kushal mangal, sirji.

- Sameer
Sendur Says
Thank you for your suggestion Thisguy. But i am new to PG. This is my first thread, if you can explain me more about what you said, it would be very helpful for me...
I like you. You were not pissed by comments.

OK. I will just pen down my thoughts. Some will make sense to you some will not.

Some disclaimers -
1. I am not an expert but a guy like you who is on MBA journey. I don't have an admit from any school.
2. I will not be able to help you decide which schools fit you best, what should be your post MBA goals, what coaching you should take. For these things you will have take help of PG consultants - MartianOnEarth (Sameer), Psychodementia (Arun) and MBA Help (Namita). They have dedicated thread. http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/ask-a-consultant-gmat-gre-only-25062774
3. You have to do all of your research, find out materials on your own, visit threads on PG on your own, do your own introspection and basically be self sufficient. I will not tell you about sites, what keywords should be used in search etc. As Morpheus said to Neo "I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

So let's start -

1. The first question that you should ask your self is what you will gain by doing MBA. Cross out any answer that is related to money (fat pay package, nice home, naukar chakar etc). If you do not have any point left then you are not ready and you need more introspection of what you want in life. The point of this exercise is to find out how serious you are about MBA. Find out what MBA is all about. Why people do it? What do they gain apart from money? What value adds it has in your character/mentality/thinking? After doing this exercise you will have good points of why you want to MBA.

2. Till this point you have come to conclusion that MBA will have ,say, 4 value adds in your life. You still do not know what will you do after you have completed MBA or in other words what are your post MBA goals. Find out what people do after MBA. Read PG threads, blogs and all the articles you can get your hands on in internet. Do a Google search and start reading. A couple of days later you will realize that you have started doing specific searches. Find out what appeals to you most.

3. After you have decided what appeals you most find out what kind of people go in that profession. Does it require expert in mathematics? Does it require some pre training? Do you have everything required for that profession? If you do not have everything for the job then you will have to learn new things. How will you do that? Find out how much you will be able to learn before MBA, during MBA and how much on job after MBA.

4. So till now you know why you want to do MBA and what your Post MBA goals are. The question now is which school. Again start research. First decide on region (you may not want to do MBA from Srilanka or China or even US). Then find out top schools in that region that have courses related to your MBA goal. Since you already know your MBA goal you will have a fair idea of which courses will help you. You will, I am sure, be able to map courses to your MBA goal as you have reached this stage, you must have enough grey matter in your brain. Research about the schools by visiting school website, looking at PG threads and contacting alumni & current students. Find out if there is lower limit for GMAT score, experience, what schools look for in applicant. See if you qualify every criterion or not. After this exercise you will have a list of schools. For this exercise you can take help from consultants.

5. The next step is applying to schools. This includes filling application form, writing SOP/essays, getting recommendations and submitting application fees. This exercise is unique to every school. You should know to have at least 2 people who are willing to recommend you to school. Every school has its own criteria for recommenders and mostly do not accept recommendation from family members/friends/relatives. All the research and introspection you have done so far will help you in writing SOP/essays and present your profile effectively. Again you can take help from consultants at this stage.

So there you are - from beginning to end. "The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

Caveat - In all the introspection exercises try to be as honest to yourself as possible. Having your head on 9th cloud will not help you. It is possible that everybody will have same strengths as you. You have to work towards drawing yourself out from crowd. There is no superman in Krypton.

This is the longest post I have written. Man!

wow very nice information sharing with us in this forum and thanks for it

I like you. You were not pissed by comments.

OK. I will just pen down my thoughts. Some will make sense to you some will not.

Some disclaimers -
1. I am not an expert but a guy like you who is on MBA journey. I don't have an admit from any school.
2. I will not be able to help you decide which schools fit you best, what should be your post MBA goals, what coaching you should take. For these things you will have take help of PG consultants - MartianOnEarth (Sameer), Psychodementia (Arun) and MBA Help (Namita). They have dedicated thread. http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/ask-a-consultant-gmat-gre-only-25062774
3. You have to do all of your research, find out materials on your own, visit threads on PG on your own, do your own introspection and basically be self sufficient. I will not tell you about sites, what keywords should be used in search etc. As Morpheus said to Neo I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it.

So let's start -

1. The first question that you should ask your self is what you will gain by doing MBA. Cross out any answer that is related to money (fat pay package, nice home, naukar chakar etc). If you do not have any point left then you are not ready and you need more introspection of what you want in life. The point of this exercise is to find out how serious you are about MBA. Find out what MBA is all about. Why people do it? What do they gain apart from money? What value adds it has in your character/mentality/thinking? After doing this exercise you will have good points of why you want to MBA.

2. Till this point you have come to conclusion that MBA will have ,say, 4 value adds in your life. You still do not know what will you do after you have completed MBA or in other words what are your post MBA goals. Find out what people do after MBA. Read PG threads, blogs and all the articles you can get your hands on in internet. Do a Google search and start reading. A couple of days later you will realize that you have started doing specific searches. Find out what appeals to you most.

3. After you have decided what appeals you most find out what kind of people go in that profession. Does it require expert in mathematics? Does it require some pre training? Do you have everything required for that profession? If you do not have everything for the job then you will have to learn new things. How will you do that? Find out how much you will be able to learn before MBA, during MBA and how much on job after MBA.

4. So till now you know why you want to do MBA and what your Post MBA goals are. The question now is which school. Again start research. First decide on region (you may not want to do MBA from Srilanka or China or even US). Then find out top schools in that region that have courses related to your MBA goal. Since you already know your MBA goal you will have a fair idea of which courses will help you. You will, I am sure, be able to map courses to your MBA goal as you have reached this stage, you must have enough grey matter in your brain. Research about the schools by visiting school website, looking at PG threads and contacting alumni & current students. Find out if there is lower limit for GMAT score, experience, what schools look for in applicant. See if you qualify every criterion or not. After this exercise you will have a list of schools. For this exercise you can take help from consultants.

5. The next step is applying to schools. This includes filling application form, writing SOP/essays, getting recommendations and submitting application fees. This exercise is unique to every school. You should know to have at least 2 people who are willing to recommend you to school. Every school has its own criteria for recommenders and mostly do not accept recommendation from family members/friends/relatives. All the research and introspection you have done so far will help you in writing SOP/essays and present your profile effectively. Again you can take help from consultants at this stage.

So there you are - from beginning to end. "The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

Caveat In all the introspection exercises try to be as honest to yourself as possible. Having your head on 9th cloud will not help you. It is possible that everybody will have same strengths as you. You have to work towards drawing yourself out from crowd. There is no superman in Krypton.

This is the longest post I have written. Man!

Thank you "This guy" for your interest in helping me so much with one of the most valuable suggestions i have ever got in my life.
If i may, i would like to ask you a personal question or rather advice, i am a person (so far) who decide quickly and later adjust/Regret. I don't have patience to sit, browse, analyze, wait for the right time... Things are not working the way i want in life. I still feel that there is some sort of specific job that suits my personality. I don't know what it is yet, i haven't ever searched for it either. But i love to learn anything that intrigues me. I am in need of money for several reasons, I haven't led my life through choices. I want to have everything in one way or the other. I know i think a lot (ppl said) :P, but still, i want to be happy forever with what i am doing. One last instance i would like to give you. if i want something badly i ll get it for sure but then i ll lose interest over it and get bored. kindly comment, suggest, advice,... whataver... I trust your reply will help me in one or the other way for sure... Thanks
Thank you "This guy" for your interest in helping me so much with one of the most valuable suggestions i have ever got in my life.
If i may, i would like to ask you a personal question or rather advice, i am a person (so far) who decide quickly and later adjust/Regret. I don't have patience to sit, browse, analyze, wait for the right time... Things are not working the way i want in life. I still feel that there is some sort of specific job that suits my personality. I don't know what it is yet, i haven't ever searched for it either. But i love to learn anything that intrigues me. I am in need of money for several reasons, I haven't led my life through choices. I want to have everything in one way or the other. I know i think a lot (ppl said) :P, but still, i want to be happy forever with what i am doing. One last instance i would like to give you. if i want something badly i ll get it for sure but then i ll lose interest over it and get bored. kindly comment, suggest, advice,... whataver... I trust your reply will help me in one or the other way for sure... Thanks
"Happily ever after" - everybody wants it. You need paradigm shift. MBA is a big investment. Costs a lot both in terms of money and time. You need to stop thinking short term and introspect on your long term goals. There is no switch you can flip to start thinking long term instantly. It is a habit you will have to inculcate. You have to work towards it. Consultants can help you only to a limit. They cannot help in you in inculcating the right mentality (a shrinker can). Consultants usually help you to decide on schools, a possible post MBA goal and essays but they don't help to make you understand why you need MBA. Consultants come into picture when you have decided you want to do MBA and have good reasons for it (money is not a good reason).

MBA journey is all about you from start to end. You have to start it and you have to end it. You need to bring the level of maturity required for MBA in yourself. No one (except for shrinker) can help you in this. You should start introspection asap. Now, don't ask me how to start doing introspection. I can't tell you. It comes naturally to me so I don't know the "process". The only thing I can tell you is that to be successful one should have patience.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

Alright, so now that you got that initial jolt and then the acceptance from ppl here on PG, let's go back to your situation :)

I am just quoting the things you said here to put things in better perspective.
I am NO expert, so pls take all the things I say with a pinch of salt ;)

Sendur Says
i am a person (so far) who decide quickly and later adjust/Regret. I don't have patience to sit, browse, analyze, wait for the right time... Things are not working the way i want in life. I still feel that there is some sort of specific job that suits my personality. I don't know what it is yet, i haven't ever searched for it either. But i love to learn anything that intrigues me. I am in need of money for several reasons, I haven't led my life through choices. I want to have everything in one way or the other. I know i think a lot (ppl said) :P, but still, i want to be happy forever with what i am doing.

Personally, I just get a feeling that you are confounded by a few things in your life ( either personal or professional ) and you seek an MBA as a magic wand to sort out everything.

-When you say you don't have patience to sit around and browse & analyse, I am afraid my dear friend that you will not get too far with your MBA dreams. You have to be patient, spend tons of time and effort and be ready to accept failures on the way to succeed.
-Many of us have financial issues, but MBA is NOT an answer for that.
-If you want everything in you life one way or the other, you are not being flexible, missing out on so much in life and more so just closing out so many options that might be available for you.
-And, who doesn't want to be happy forever ? (maybe those of us on the thorny path to get an MBA :biggrin:) In another 100 yrs time, when we all are Robots, we could become immortals and have the biggest smile on our faces for eternity :)

Can I suggest that you take a break from the things you are doing now, get your thoughts together and seek advice from friends and family. It is possible that they will list out the options you might be overlooking. Work out a few alternatives for yourself and see how you go with those. And then who knows, in another year or two you would be there, really wanting to do an MBA with goals and targets in mind and the ever helpful junta on PG will take good care of you.

Cheers,
"Happily ever after" - everybody wants it. You need paradigm shift. MBA is a big investment. Costs a lot both in terms of money and time. You need to stop thinking short term and introspect on your long term goals. There is no switch you can flip to start thinking long term instantly. It is a habit you will have to inculcate. You have to work towards it. Consultants can help you only to a limit. They cannot help in you in inculcating the right mentality (a shrinker can). Consultants usually help you to decide on schools, a possible post MBA goal and essays but they don't help to make you understand why you need MBA. Consultants come into picture when you have decided you want to do MBA and have good reasons for it (money is not a good reason).

MBA journey is all about you from start to end. You have to start it and you have to end it. You need to bring the level of maturity required for MBA in yourself. No one (except for shrinker) can help you in this. You should start introspection asap. Now, don't ask me how to start doing introspection. I can't tell you. It comes naturally to me so I don't know the "process". The only thing I can tell you is that to be successful one should have patience.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

Thank you pal for your valuable advice... Shall be in touch...