Applying to Duke, Fuqua?

:: Welcome Dukie aspirants! Long time since I started a thread. So, this one is for those who are considering Duke MBA. I am a current First Year student here doing my MBA at the Fuqua School of Business, North Carolina, US. I came he…

Welcome Dukie aspirants!

Long time since I started a thread. So, this one is for those who are considering Duke MBA. I am a current First Year student here doing my MBA at the Fuqua School of Business, North Carolina, US. I came here in Aug from Mumbai. You can read some of the articles that I have published on pagalguy.com. Just my opinions about what I thought about the whole Application game. πŸ˜ƒ

Any questions you have specific to Duke, Fuqua or the application. Just post in. I will really try hard to answer them ASAP. If I cannot address them at all, atleast I will tell you where you can find your answers. I think the R1 is on Oct end. So, just jump in.. & shoot those questions..

Keep Roaring!
Simba / Sowmya

Hi simba,

Was contemplating between Duke and Darden. However, GM is what I wanna do... chose Darden over Duke for the moment but the the final decision will be made after 3rd Dec, most probably in first week of December. If I apply yo duke it will only be in the second round.

Two Questions:

1) Have done a lot of research... is Duke a good GM school or would you recommend it for something else

2) "Quant Heavy" as the Website mentions... Could you please explain further along with putting some "light" on how heavy is it?

Thanks a bunch

Cheers!!!

Hi Simba,
First of all, thanks for starting this thread πŸ˜ƒ

I have 2 questions:
1. I am in the process of applying in R1 to Duke. My degree is from Bangalore Univ, and they have provided me a sealed transcript, but there is no signature across the envelope. Does this matter? Should I also send an attested copy from USEFI (United States Edn Foundation in India) ...some schools ask this.

2. Any idea how many apps does Duke receive in R1? I just want to know my competition πŸ˜‰

Thanks!

Hi

Thanks a lot for taking up rookie questions!

I'm interested in the Health Sector Management programme at Duke.
My parents are doctors and I aspire to launch a chain of speciality hospitals in India probably 6-7 years down the line. I have looked at the curriculum of HSM and looks to me that its not really in depth. I couldn't figure out how my idea was fitting with the course. If you could shed some light on this, it would be of great help.

regards
Prayank

Simba,

Hope you're having a great time at Duke..
Much has been made of the dreaded indian/IT/male pool, of the students in Duke, how many students belong to this category ? And what kind of background do they have ?

Hi simba,

Was contemplating between Duke and Darden. However, GM is what I wanna do... chose Darden over Duke for the moment but the the final decision will be made after 3rd Dec, most probably in first week of December. If I apply yo duke it will only be in the second round.

Two Questions:

1) Have done a lot of research... is Duke a good GM school or would you recommend it for something else

I would say both Duke and Darden are on similar lines. I didnt research much on Darden, so that cripples me to some extent in answering the above question. 2nd Round is good enough! Yes, Duke is a General Management School. It is good for General Management. I am looking at the GM programs. Actually, u know what, Fuqua has a strong outlook at every field. πŸ˜ƒ But for GM, it is surely great!

2) "Quant Heavy" as the Website mentions... Could you please explain further along with putting some "light" on how heavy is it?

Now, I am cracking my mind about this! Duke and Quant heavy... thats like not that possible. We do have Math & Quant and as far as Indians are concerned, nobody ever had an issue. I am no brainer in Quant & if I could handle Term1's Stats.. then it should be fine for everyone!!
Hi Simba,
First of all, thanks for starting this thread πŸ˜ƒ

I have 2 questions:
1. I am in the process of applying in R1 to Duke. My degree is from Bangalore Univ, and they have provided me a sealed transcript, but there is no signature across the envelope. Does this matter? Should I also send an attested copy from USEFI (United States Edn Foundation in India) ...some schools ask this. !

Hmm, that should not be a problem. See if you can go back to the Univ and get that seal. I am from BU and I had made it a point to get that seal way back in 2000. But seriously, it should not matter. Write a quick mail to office of Admissions and find out! USEFI - what is that.. I havent heard of anything like that!! Just write to Admissions, that solves almost 90% of the problems.

2. Any idea how many apps does Duke receive in R1? I just want to know my competition πŸ˜‰

Lets say.. about 10,000.. So, is it goodbye for Duke. Take it in the right spirit, give ur best and move on. Its not a percentile thing to figure out what ur competition is - the better ur app is the faster u will make... immaterial of the # of ppl trying.
Hi

Thanks a lot for taking up rookie questions!

I'm interested in the Health Sector Management programme at Duke.
My parents are doctors and I aspire to launch a chain of speciality hospitals in India probably 6-7 years down the line. I have looked at the curriculum of HSM and looks to me that its not really in depth. I couldn't figure out how my idea was fitting with the course. If you could shed some light on this, it would be of great help.

regards
Prayank

Prayank, we have the Best Health Sector Program MBA here in US. See if you can see the ranks, they are mighty good. I am not sure specifically what you are looking at the HSM. You will be asked to submit a Business Plan for your Term 1 Final.. & that might get funded by a VC before the year end!! If u really need some specific info which u cant do without, pl PM me, I will see if I can put you up with someone on the HSM.:)
Simba,

Hope you're having a great time at Duke..
Much has been made of the dreaded indian/IT/male pool, of the students in Duke, how many students belong to this category ? And what kind of background do they have ?

Some of it is pish-posh and some of it really makes sense. There are many students from that background.. Indians/NRIs etc but you really need to distinguish ur application and stand out. See, most of the Indians, say are from the IT sector... so, its ok. Just put in a fantastic application & Have fun! πŸ˜ƒ

Simba -

Merci Beaucoup mademoiselle...
I am going to stick to Darden presently, mainly because Duke and Darden both fall in the same categories on numerous counts. The only reason I tried to stay away from Duke was the "Quant Heavy" WARNING on the Website. Unfortunately, I am now quite settled with Darden. But, as I said, I will take the final decision on the Duke v/s Darden issue only in the first week of December... will definitely keep you posted... after all humne ek hee thali mein khaaya hai :)

Cheers!!!

Hi Simba

Thanks for taking the time to field questions.

Could you confirm whether it is possible to self report transcripts? or is it OK if I get my marksheets attested and send them? I do not have sealed transcripts from my university and will not be able to get it before R1.

Does Fuqua give TOEFL waivers? The website seems to suggest that TOEFL waivers are only for international students having a graduate or PHd degree from a college in US.

What kind of schedule have you kept till now? How much time for studies and how much time for other activities?

What kind of experiences have you had at Fuqua? Both positive and negative?

Hi Simba,

It would be nice if you could throw light on the fee structure as well.
What is the fee there for the entire course/per year!
Any chances of AID? What is the probability of students with AID there?

Thanks in Advance

I can confirm to you that if you have had your undergraduate degree in English, you will get a TOEFL waiver... I have got one :)

What else are you required to give besides GMAT and TOEFL?

Hmm, that should not be a problem. See if you can go back to the Univ and get that seal. I am from BU and I had made it a point to get that seal way back in 2000. But seriously, it should not matter. Write a quick mail to office of Admissions and find out! USEFI - what is that.. I havent heard of anything like that!! Just write to Admissions, that solves almost 90% of the problems.

Lets say.. about 10,000.. So, is it goodbye for Duke. Take it in the right spirit, give ur best and move on. Its not a percentile thing to figure out what ur competition is - the better ur app is the faster u will make... immaterial of the # of ppl trying.

Thanks Simba for the response.

For the records, USEFI is an EdicationUSA center affiliated to US Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Some schools in US ask for transcripts issued by USEFI (they do not take even sealed transcripts from the university)

Enjoy your fall break!!
harrypotter1234 Says

Ignorance is bliss!! Just give all the exams you know man! Maybe they will accept some of them

If you are (really) serious, do some research πŸ˜ƒ

Hey obelixous, nice to see you on this thread!

Hi Simba

Thanks for taking the time to field questions.

Could you confirm whether it is possible to self report transcripts? or is it OK if I get my marksheets attested and send them? I do not have sealed transcripts from my university and will not be able to get it before R1.

Fuqua doesnt take self report transcripts. Yes, get your marksheets attested by the university registar & send them. Try ur best to get the sealed envelopes. If not, call up the admissions & tell them that this is ur concern. Usually, they will tell you what you can do!!

Does Fuqua give TOEFL waivers? The website seems to suggest that TOEFL waivers are only for international students having a graduate or PHd degree from a college in US.

Yup, I didnt take TOEFL. They want to see that ur education has been in English. Read the details on the website clearly..:)

What kind of schedule have you kept till now? How much time for studies and how much time for other activities?

Hahaha.. I dont want to scare ya but the schedule is going to be crazy in all B-schools. Its not gonna be a joy ride but learning is abs fun. Read my blog for exactly what I have been doing I think I have balanced my time well b/w studies & x-tra cur .. though it is all relative perceptions. Some ppl thot I was crazy doing so many stuffs.

What kind of experiences have you had at Fuqua? Both positive and negative?

Catch one Bschool student saying a negative about his/her school LOL! JK! I havent had any bad experiences except my occassional hiccups on grades but I chose a school that fit me.. I am a team kinda person.. So, Fuqua suits me best. And so, I am happy here...:) People are way too helpful with everything.. thats something I can vouch on!!!
Hi Simba,

It would be nice if you could throw light on the fee structure as well.
What is the fee there for the entire course/per year!
Any chances of AID? What is the probability of students with AID there?

Thanks in Advance

I would rather you guys use me for stuff that is not on the website. You can see the expenses etc there! πŸ˜ƒ

Yes, some guys have got aid.. anything ranging from 10 to 30k fee waiver. For that you should put up a stellar application. If you are considering Fuqua, dont depend too much on the Aid, its way too difficult here!
harrypotter1234 Says

Nothing much, some teeny weeny essays.. Read my article on www.pagalguy.com The International MBA series, maybe that will give you an idea.