All I want to speak about GEM - General Engineer Male

Purpose-

A thread to share experiences of exploitation faced by GEMS at the hands of system. The vision is to create a repository of experiences from any year (1990- till present) which can be a stepping stone for reforms in the future.

Rules-

1) Please state statistics while sharing your story.

2) Please refrain from using slangs/bad language(We are GEMS, Good to be classy)

3) Incase, you can't adhere to point 2 above, atleast use ***.

4) Please try to share what reforms could be taken to improve this diseased system.

Regards,

jmayer10

Hi all,

Purpose-

A thread to share experiences of exploitation faced by GEMS at the hands of system. The vision is to create a repository of experiences from any year (1990- till present) which can be a stepping stone for reforms in the future. Also, this thread should be a guiding spirit for all future GEMs, who may/may not have committed "paaps" (read academic, grad poor performance) and wish to pursue MBA from India through IIMS.

Rules-

1) Please state statistics while sharing your story.

2) Please refrain from using slangs/bad language(We are GEMS, Good to be classy)

3) Incase, you can't adhere to point 2 above, atleast use ***.

4) Please try to share what reforms could be taken to improve this diseased system.

Regards,

jmayer10

If you are a GEM of a person than anything below 99.7 in CAT is good for nothing :-( 1st post here by a frustated GEM.

The probability of surviving a person when he jumps from 99th floor is GREATER than getting calls from IIMs with 99+ percentitle.

<CN>

Xth - 89.5% (AP State Board)

XIIth - 89% (AP State Board)

Grad - 6.56 (BITS - Chemical Engineering)

CAT 16- 98.95 (VA-95.5, DILR-99.13, QA-96.64)

Workex- 31 months (Jun'14- Jan'17) in Core manufacturing section (R&D)

Expected calls from - IIM I, L, K, S, New IIMs, SPJain, NITIE, MDI, FMS, SJMSOM, VGSOM.

Rejects till date: IIM A, B, C, I, L, K, SPJain.

Rejects to come: FMS, SJMSOM.

Calls : IIM S, New IIM (Roh.) 

Experience: If a GEM a you an average academic record, you are screw. Even a 99.9+ can't gurantee an IIM convert. Some of them may not even bother to call you up for the WAT/PI round. 

CAT OA - 99.58 percentile

10th - 95% (10 GPA, CBSE)

12th - 91.4%

Graduation - 6.62/10

Work Experience - 0

Expected calls: C, L, K, I, XLRI, SP Jain

Got: K (1st stage shortlist), I, S, SP Jain

Rejected: C, L

Upcoming: K (2nd stage shortlist), XLRI

Not happy at all. I had really wanted C and L. GEMs continue to suffer tremendously due to disproportionate diversity factors and rapid falls in CAT weightage for shortlist and final selection.

This will do nothing but drive away high-quality students to other top-notch institutions, which will simply take advantage of this wave. Especially XLRI.

I am a GEM, and I am proud. 

My CAT journey started last year when I was in the final year of my college. Those were the days when we used to have daaru parties after being ALL CLEAR in a semester. My college wasn't one of the prestigious ones, so the chances of a campus placement (or any kind of placement really) were bleak. Given that I was pursuing a degree in Nanotechnology (which is a new field with few industrial opportunities here in India), the only option I had was to go for a PhD. I even had offers from two of the good foreign universities with a stipend of 1800-2200$ per month. But I had something else in mind. 

Sounds funny, but I wanted a job that required me to wear a suit all the time, as I was fond of wearing suits. I heard MBA would help me do that. So I decided to write CAT in 2015. (This was just after I cleared GATE15). I joined a coaching institute, took regular classes, prepared rigorously. But on the D day, I succumbed to pressure in the DILR section and ended up with overall 90 percentile. I was depressed AF but I knew that is the only paper I ever wanted to crack, by heart. So I decided to write Cat'16. Graduated from the college in June'16 with a disappointing 65.xx percent. 

Preparations were going on when my father met with a serious accident causing injuries to his head just 20 days before CAT16( This is the reason my IIFT was a disaster). I had kept the last 20 days for revising mocks (which is the most imp part). But fate had something else in mind,I wasn't able to touch a question for revision after that. On 4th dec, I appeared for the paper and as expected, my paper didn't go well. Made loads of silly mistakes due to lack of practice in the last few days. 

When the results were out, I was very happy. But reality was yet to be faced. I knew I wasn't going to get A/B calls. But when C calls were out, I really had a heartbreak. This was just the start of more rejections to come. The happiness of the CAT scorecard evaporated. I was and am disgusted with the shortlisting criteria. 

IMO, shortlisting should heavily rely on scores so that the good students with a poor past can atleast get a chance to express themselves in the interview. But sadly, this is not going to happen. This is the story every year (i guess) due to which , some very talented future entrepreneurs are missing out on IIMs. Diversity is important , but isn't knowledge too? What would the recruiters look for... your gender? Your 12th marks? Your graduation marks? Or whether you are a GEM or not? You know the answer, so do the IIMs. This shortlisting criteria might be the reason that in the near future, the IIMs may either degrade their own reputation or the reputation of CAT. This is no less than an alarming situation, but yeah, it won't be changed until and unless the placement figures would either go down or stagnate in IIMs. 

Heera (GEM) ho, kabhi na kbhi chamkogey jarur !

Agar aapke paas lun* hai toh aapko milega bhi wohi- IIMs 

99.5 and no calls 

99.81 and no calls from BLACI, not expected from K either, was expecting call only from C but missed out because of 12th 74. I belive there can be no remedy apart from either increasing the seats in existing IIM's rather than opening new IIM's or scrapping Reservations and this is only going to get worse in future as Bschools the world over prize one's overall profile above GMAT or other relavent scores  

Was never told that i need to be a non-engineer and a female to actually reap the benefits of CAT 99+ .....Heartbreaking!!

Gem situation so bad that they should give reservation for Gem from next year onwards :/

It's time the GEMs step up, collaborate and fight against the injustice metted out to them. We, the GEMS, prefer "equitable over equal" distribution. Stop penalizing us for our hard-work and come to the arena on basis of merit.

A 99.36%tiler's experience on being a GEM:

http://www.zeading.com/story/what-more-could-i-do-cat-99-36-and-still-no-iims

Gem ko modify karke fresher gem kardo...will make more sense for most of us..

Puys!! Check this out. Can't comment on the authenticity though. http://www.livemint.com/Education/ixOOWe0dHPON9LAcAtYCGM/Centre-wants-IIMs-to-implement-up-to-50-faculty-reservation.html

Ye dekho agar nahi dekha h toh. Bahut mazaaa aayega :p :p :p https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=748903401806200&id=462307553799121

How easily Mr. Modi requested people to leave LPG subsidy when this is what he should be asking from well-off people using reservations.

I know, this is not going to resolve the issue as it would reduce general seats more, but seeing people with same or better background than me reaping benefits of reservations really upsets me.

Don't bash me but it has to start somewhere and someday.

I just realised that with 99.30 in CAT, I woud be requiring atleast 17 marks out of 15 in PI of FMS. Even my friend with 99.95 would need 10/15 to convert the call. I knew a guy in my college who had 74%ile in CAT14, 6 pointer, ST. Though he somehow got into an NIT but couldn't convert a single job interview, not even the mass recruiters. Right now he is enjoying the life we all dream of. FMS 2015-17 Batch. This is really saddening.   But let us not hope that reservations are going away anytime soon. I think this is what every GEM should do right now: 1) Get into a decent B-school 2) Covert a foreign PPO 3) Never come back 4) We have been deprived of what we deserve for too long. Give your children the education they deserve. Unless all the GEMs are settled abroad and only the people with reservation are left (cutoff dropping from 80%ile to 30%ile for IIMs), there is no chance that reservations would be matter of discussion in our system. And yes, I am also a patriot and I love my country but we can not help our nation unless we help ourselves first. #Fedupwithallthisshitnow

Yeh Gormint bik chuki hai wo to suna tha, pr NM ko kya ho gya? 

Rejected at 217 

In Telangana, reservation level increased from 50% to 62% . (Telangana Legislature passed the bill). I fear, soon other states might follow the protocol.

Hi GEMs !

This is an article I wrote way back in January, when the calls from various B schools were out and I wasn't shortlisted for any one of them. 

Today, when I came across it again, I felt I should share this with you guys.

https://yourstory.com/read/8f68d7caf0-cat-99-percentilers-are-not-even-eligible-to-appear-for-iim-interviews-