AIM Admits 2006 - Seniors please share Experience @ AIM

Has anyone been admitted to AIM yet ? For people who are still in the GD/PI round, would like to re-direct them over to the following URL :- AIM GD/PI Call Getters Other previous discussions for AIM (Last Year URLs) :- 1. AIM admission…

Has anyone been admitted to AIM yet ?

For people who are still in the GD/PI round, would like to re-direct them over to the following URL :-

AIM GD/PI Call Getters
Other previous discussions for AIM (Last Year URLs) :-
1. AIM admissions (AIM Admissions)
2. More Info
I also request the current seniors @ AIM to please share some of their experiences at the University, both in terms of education and future prospects.
I understand the current seniors will not have any motive to come and visit these forums now, but still taking a blind chance. Hopefully, this thread will bring some insight to the current aspirants of AIM.
P.S. :- Any musicians applying to AIM this year ? I am a Drummer(Hard Core)/Guitarist(During the learning phase) and thought of meeting someone through these forums who would be interested to form like a music club or a band @ AIM.
Anyhow, good luck to all the current AIM aspirants.
Has anyone been admitted to AIM yet ?

For people who are still in the GD/PI round, would like to re-direct them over to the following URL :-

AIM GD/PI Call Getters
Other previous discussions for AIM (Last Year URLs) :-
1. AIM admissions (AIM Admissions)
2. More Info
I also request the current seniors @ AIM to please share some of their experiences at the University, both in terms of education and future prospects.
I understand the current seniors will not have any motive to come and visit these forums now, but still taking a blind chance. Hopefully, this thread will bring some insight to the current aspirants of AIM.
P.S. :- Any musicians applying to AIM this year ? I am a Drummer(Hard Core)/Guitarist(During the learning phase) and thought of meeting someone through these forums who would be interested to form like a music club or a band @ AIM.
Anyhow, good luck to all the current AIM aspirants.

hi.....cngrats...it does seem u have an admit from aim...hence the wish:).......
we still have to hear from AIM....just had intvs 10 days back......i heard results take time.....any clue when they wud b out??

Anybody else who has been accepted at AIM ?

Seniors please request you to share some of your expeiences at AIM ?

Hey Amit,

Just got off the phone with Dilip, he confirmed to me that the results be out on Tuesday (28th Feb 2006). Best of luck pal.

and in case both of us get selected - i wouldnt mind listening to ur music.

Best of luck - hope for the best

Cheers-Sameer

Congrats to everyone who made it through the first list.

Sameer, don't be disheartened. I am sure you will make it through the second list.

I actually know a couple of seniors at AIM and have been in touch with them. I have also asked them some queries I had about AIM. As soon as I shall be receiving some answers, I will definitely post them on this thread, for the viewers to have a look at them. Hopefully, that will help all of us in some way or the other.

Once again congratulations to ALL those who have made it through the first list.

To ALL,
I had individually e-mailed these 3 seniors and following are their responses to the questions that I have asked. The questions are in BOLD. The answers are right below each question.

==================================================Senior #1 Kunal Walia (Currently studying in Italy as an exchange student from AIM)
I understand they follow the case-methodology system. How beneficial is that?
- AIM is all about case studies. We have done some 1000 cases in 1.5 years. So every day you have 3-4 cases. This is the case because unlike some business schools, (well the ones in Europe that I am aware of now), AIM grading depends more or less on class participation. 60 - 70 % of your grades depend on how much you can talk in class giving an analysis of the cases. Its a practical approach and helpful in marketing subjects. But anyways all MBA's follows the case method. AIM just does it more. Its a good thing. FYI, aim has a very hectic schedule throughout the mba. Its not like the Indian schools where second year is a cake walk. In aim you have to do a thesis in the second year besides study all the time.

In terms of recognition, how known or respected is it, in Singapore & India?
- Check on the AIM website. Its a recognized Bschool and therefore now appears in most rankings of Asian Business Schools. It is well recognized in the Indian market. Sing is definitely full of AIM students.

In terms of people, how are they?
- Half of my batch is Indian - 50 students - the others are Filipinos, Chinese, Indonesians, and an Indian from US. In the 2007 batch there are students from Japan, Korea...but the major competition is between Indians. Filipinos are very nice and hospitable people.

In terms of the place, how is it?
In terms of campus & campus life, how is it?
- AIM is a small school in terms of the number of courses offered. We have mba, mm, e-mba, and a few others. The campus is disappointing. Very small, not many facilities for sports, except for the class rooms the overall campus is nothing great.
- Most students tend to stay on campus so the campus life is cool. Regular parties, night outs, beer is cheaper than water, AIM is in the heart of manila so all the pubs are walking distance. So u will have a good time staying there. Basically staying in Philippines is easy and fun. Its a beautiful country.

In terms of extra-curricular activities, how active is AIM?
- Not too good - no time. We have some clubs but the active ones are the philanthropic activities club and the entrepreneurial club. Both run by students. u can easily go around and play lots of sports if u are interested but nothing on campus except for a swimming pool where i would not advice swimming in. - AIM does participate in the inter Bschool business plan competition with other top Asian Bschools. But u wont have much time for extra curricular so u dont have to worry too much about that. You do get a lot of opportunities to work without various companies on different projects.

What do people usually do for finding good jobs after AIM - Fly off to Singapore?
- Yes, our seniors have been doing that. Go camp in sing for a few months and try and talk to companies. Some have been successful but a lot have come back without jobs. I am myself looking for a job at the moment so I cant really tell you what the scene is with placements.
- compared to our seniors things have really improved in our batch. Many Indian companies like infy, jnj, satyam, hcl, ge, etc have come to campus and taken students. Its a disadvantage for exchange students who dont get to attend any of the campus placements. But u have to fight it out on your own for jobs. Definitely cannot rely on campus placements. U might have to start applying early on your own to Indian companies, try and set appointments etc. but people are getting placed with good packages in my batch. Dont know what will happen to people like me who are exchange students. Overall its not as good as the iim's buts it is getting better.

If I do decide to pursue it, I want to go for Marketing or Finance major - How good or bad is it?
- getting a finance major in tough in AIM. I dont know why but for some reason in AIM you have to clear either the CFA level 1 exam or an FRM exam to get finance major. But you can learn a lot in finance here. Its easier to get marketing major. But ultimately I dont think it matters as you can take-up the subjects u want to specialize in. Companies dont ask you if u have a major, if u can learn whatever u take up its good enough.

AIM is a good school. Academics wise its ahead of the IIM's. Placement wise it does not guarantee an easy job. Experience wise- the hectic schedule is humbling- prepares you for the toughest situations. The only problem I have faced in AIM is that, the schedule is so hectic that students hardly ever get time to get into the details of learning. it turns out to be a rush job where you are always looking to complete assignments, submit papers etc. again depends on how much hard work u are prepared to put in.

Senior #2 Prerit Sood
Researching on couple of websites, I understand that AIM is not too helpful when it comes to job placements and stuff and generally its the student's own commitment in finding a goof job opportunity. How true is this?
-
Attaching a webpage for the placements Yep recently the placement focus has increasedIt was sluggish earlier http://www.wsgsb.aim.edu.ph/placementstats.htm

Other
than that can you give me a rough idea as to how is the university? I understand they follow the case-methodology system. How beneficial is that?
- AIM follows Harvard system. Case Method More details on Site. This provides in-depth analysis wrt to old lecture based method N real time policies of companies concerned in the case, Harvard site will clarify about the concept further

In terms of recognition, how known or respected is it, in Singapore & India?
The recognition is very good It has got international recognition. from Equus + other agencies.. In fact was the first one for the same Website AIM follows Harvard system..

In terms of people, how are they?
Usually people from Asia pacific. India.Philipino.Japan. Korea. Malaysia/.Indonesia.+ others+ some European International exchange students. Faculty r leaders from industry Better than Indian B schools, as here reservations system etc.zilch

In terms of the place, how is it?
College is in a place like Cannaught place of Delhi.. Makati..Manila is the busy district of Philippines

In terms of campus & campus life, how is it?
Has its own campus, Hostels attachedVisit website

In terms of extra-curricular activities, how active is AIM?
All depends on the person himself.. All opportunities r available.. But usually the pressure of studies is very high

What do people usually do for finding good jobs after AIM - Fly off to Singapore?
Networking + Contacts School does help.. If u r good U need to stand out amongst the crowd

If I do decide to pursue it, I want to go for Marketing or Finance major - How good or bad is it, considering I am looking for career in Investment Banking.
Aim is superb in Finance. They will provide u full skill setsIts then on u to utilize N increase Ur salability
Senior #3 Nikhil Kapoor
1. Teaching Methodology: AIM follows case methodology in classes and all subjects, including marketing, HR, finance, business strategy, etc. are covered through case discussions. Over all, one ends up doing over 1,200 cases during the two-year stint at AIM. The ratio between case discussions and lecture-based classes would be 9:1. There is also a lot of focus on individual / group presentations, projects, reflection papers (one's analysis about the issue(s) being discussed in the class), role-plays and simulations. One can expect to do at least 1-2 presentations / reflection papers every week during the first year. After a new batch joins, the students undergo several Personality indicator tests (viz. MBTI, IQ, EQ and AQ - Adversity Quotient). Based on the test results and also factoring in the student's nationality, past work experience, etc., the batch is divided into learning teams of 5-6 members. The learning teams have to do all group presentations and projects together and performance is measured on an individual as well as group basis. The idea of doing this is to replicate a team-based working atmosphere that one is likely to face at the work-place. Some subjects also assess how well one was able to manage the team dynamics and students are also rated by the team members at the end of the semester, all of which gets counted towards the final grade. The case methodologies as well as the learning teams have been pretty useful in the learning process. The case method helped us understand concepts in a more practical manner, because they could be related to a real-life situation. At the same time, learning teams were helpful in understanding people from different cultures and backgrounds and understanding one's strengths / weaknesses when working with people having different temperaments. The first year is divided into two semesters of five months each. A total of 15 subjects are covered during these two semesters. At the end of the first year, one needs to undergo an eight-week internship. In addition to this, one needs to prepare a management thesis. This is similar to a 4-5 months long live consulting project where one works with a company and prepares a business strategy for the launch of a new product / service or prepares the corporate strategy for expanding the company's existing businesses. This is an essential part of the second year curriculum which spans across three trimesters of three months each. During the second year one studies another 15 subjects and can choose to major in Marketing, Finance, and Entrepreneurship or opt for a General Management focus.

2. Recognition: AIM is one of the only two B-schools in Asia to be accredited with both AACSB & EQUIS (the American and European b-school accreditation bodies, respectively). AIM's brand is pretty well recognized in Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and other countries in South / South-East Asia.

3. Batch Diversity: Quite a large number of students are from India. My batch size is 98 and has all-round 40% Indians; Filipinos are in almost equal numbers. Remaining batch is made up of Indonesian, Malaysian, Nepalese, Chinese, and Vietnamese students. Some students are Indians / Filipinos earlier working in the US, Australia or Europe.

4. AIM's Campus and Location: AIM is located in Makati, the business hub of Philippines. The campus is not very big and the dormitory and the academic block are in the same building. It is compulsory to stay in the dorm for the first 3 months after which one can stay outside. Many eating joints, malls, super-markets, cinema halls, etc. are near the campus (a number of these are just across the road). The offices of many MNCs are within 10 minutes walking distance and are a big help when one has to do projects and corporate assignments. Cabs, etc. are also available just across the road.

5. Placements: AIM, just like many other international B-schools, does not focus too much on campus placements. Though this is changing over the last 1-2 years and now the institute has started inviting companies for placements, it is not like the placement frenzy in India where dozens of companies visit B-school campuses to hire MBA graduates. Currently, most companies visiting AIM are from India and are mainly from the IT sector. No banks / I-banks come to the campus. Placements are, therefore, largely through individual initiative. Many Indian students go to Singapore and stay there for 2-3 months to find suitable jobs. This year many of us plan to go to India directly since the job market is booming there as well.

To sum up, AIM is a nice place to come if your primary focus is learning. It will help you clarify your concepts and develop a good understanding about the areas you want to focus on. However, it won't help you much in getting a great job. That effort would have to be your own. Most of us were clear about this when we joined so we are fine about this reality as we move closer to graduation. If you come expecting jobs on a platter (like it happens in Indian b-schools) then you would be disappointed.
==================================================
Hoping this was helpful for all of us. - Amit_Drummer

That was really informative... good work man.

Cheers and all the best.

Hey Amit
Gr8 work dude..... I and a guy from pune were also discussin the ROI factor...Since the Indian economy is boomin and hopefully it continues i guess jobz are not an Issue.. We may have to apply to a few Indian companies and try our luck. I was impressed by the prof who conducted my interview...I think I will join this yr..

Any idea wat the acceptance amount is ...hope it is not 1.5 lacs as in ISB

Hi all,

Congratulations to all who have been admitted to AIM.
I have received the final admit letter from AIM for MBA'06.

Regards
Saurabh

puneeth_gt,

The student has to deposit the following to reserve his / her seat at AIM :-
US $300 :- Tuition
US $100 :- Room & Board

So in total, it is US $400.

Hope this helps !

gr8 effort amit.....any info about AIM pouring in wud b awesome...
am pretty clue less n m sure there r many like me....this wud b a gud platform to interact with seniors.....
any info plez share.......

Hi guys..
I like most of the junta here on the list got the call from AIM. The post from our drummer friend was very informative.
I'm also gathering same kind of info.. I think what we all have been hearing are mostly in sync..
I think we all can have gr8 time there.. few of my gd grp junta is yet to make their minds.. but mostly I'll be joining there.
keep posting guys... circulate as much info as possible.
sanjeev

country_kool,

Congratulations !. Looking forward to meeting you. Request you to also share whatever information you can gather about AIM.

Have a good one !

I got my admission packet from AIM today. Contains a formal letter of acceptance, some information on the VISA and on what all stuff to bring with us, along with a reservation form asking for US $400, that we have to FAX or mail back.

AIM Batch 2006 Video

P.S. :- This is a video clip of the current seniors at AIM. This video was compiled by the seniors and have been uploaded to GOOGLE VIDEO Server for the audience. I believe GOOGLE VIDEO is still not functional in India, but guys try and give it a shot at your end. It has got audio feature too, so make sure you have your headphones or speakers connected as well.

Yo Amit dude,
Why dont you download the video and send it either as an attachment or just upload the same to yousendit.com or sendthisfile.com and give us the link here so that we can access the same.

That would be fun to watch... good that you are getting a lot of info on AIM

Thanks pal
Ciao
Baz

why doesnt this page diplay properly n my comp..is there a prob at my end..sm times the entire posts come..rest of the times..only the first post..wnder why???

Looks like a great team cookin up at AIM.. I guess the more the info the more convinced we can get to join the school.Anyone from Bangalore keen on joinin. Please post or call on 9342466227
Wat happenned to my group who met at the GD???
Amit ..u r turnin out to be of gr8 help
keep up the good work

:grab:

Hi dudes,
this is biladoo, just got a confirmation from AIM that have been selected for theMM program.8 years of work ex, 7 years with J&J; and currently working as regional head sales for a large mediahouse.
love travelling, eating out,reading, whiling away time with friends.
average student, eco hons and MBA.
would want to know if we have anyone else for mm.