500 Q39 V20. Need Help

Hi guys, 500 Q39 V20 I know this score is not good and it is not going to get me where I want to be. I’m not complaining that I’m disappointed to see so low score because my score is in sync with practice tests. GMAT Power P…

Hi guys,

500 Q39 V20

I know this score is not good and it is not going to get me where I want to be.

I'm not complaining that I'm disappointed to see so low score because my score is in sync with practice tests.

GMAT Power Prep: 440 (no prep), 490, 540, 500. This were the only practice tests I used.

I could not sleep night before the test. At 9 AM I had good break fast. Took some ib profane to reduce my head ache. Read through nytimes.com and 2 CRs that I already did a day before to warm up. Then I left for the test. I appeared for test at noon. My concentration lacked in verbal. Part of it was no sleep. Other part was that I'm weak at verbal.

Study Time: 14 full days (1 fulll week + 2 weekends + few evenings). These days include 1 week I took off for preparation. I'm full time employee.

Study Material: OG. Princeton for test strategies (I did not do any questions from Princeton). I did all the verbal questions from OG. Quant I did from 160 to 250. I read through the solutions for first 159.

I must say that there are no verbal basics in OG. They assume that you know SC basics. I think here is where I'm weak and I did not use any other material to improve myself other than just doing questions from OG.

I think quant just needs more parctice.

If I give GMAT, it would be 3 weeks from now and i can not take any days off now. I can put in 2 hours every day and 12 hours on weekends.

I think my score can not improve if I redo same study material again. At this point I'm in dilemma to re appear for GMAT.

Any advise here?

The schools where I seek admissions, need 610 +.

I think what I'm asking for any tricks that can improve my score by 100 points in 5 hours!

Do you guys see any flaws in my method or preparation? Any additional material I can use? Any other techniques I can employ to boost up my score? Pls point me to any online materials and you can also email me offline materials at

I would hate to reappear and end up getting same score again.

Thanks in advance.

You need to work on both quant and verbal, I see that you prepared only for 14 days. 14 days is usually not enough. Seeing your GMATPrep scores, you should have prepared more before taking exam.

If there is no hurry, work slow and keep working on your math and verbal portions. Target GMAT next attempt after 2 mths or so. Keep guaging ur performance

There is plenty of material available for practice.

Hi
welcome to PG

Please dont open a thread for single query
Please Search before posting
http://www.pagalguy.com/search.php
learn how to search using tags...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This link mite help u ->http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/rules-how-to-faq-etc-etc-etc-25000035
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/rules-posting-guidelines-reloaded-25001863

My reply in bold against your lines

Hi guys,

500 Q39 V20

I know this score is not good and it is not going to get me where I want to be.
You are right about thi.s let me be very brutal here.

I'm not complaining that I'm disappointed to see so low score because my score is in sync with practice tests.

GMAT Power Prep: 440 (no prep), 490, 540, 500. This were the only practice tests I used.

Ok let bygones be so. but you should have sought advice the day you got a 440. that is a score that shud have worked like a laxative on you. :)

I could not sleep night before the test.
this is a bad idea - Almost always

At 9 AM I had good break fast. Took some ib profane to reduce my head ache. Read through nytimes.com and 2 CRs that I already did a day before to warm up.
Personally i quit studying anything 1 day before the exam. last minute stresses tend to muddle up the brain during the test. Its like going home late in the night after office - you almosr always wake up the next stressed too
Then I left for the test. I appeared for test at noon. My concentration lacked in verbal. Part of it was no sleep. Other part was that I'm weak at verbal.
Good you noticed your weak area
Study Time: 14 full days (1 fulll week + 2 weekends + few evenings). These days include 1 week I took off for preparation. I'm full time employee.

I think this is way too less. more so because you carry a major handicap in verbal
Study Material: OG. Princeton for test strategies (I did not do any questions from Princeton). I did all the verbal questions from OG. Quant I did from 160 to 250. I read through the solutions for first 159.

like i said, this is not enuf. you should have concentrated on VA from Manhattan, spidey's notes, sumit's notes, 1000 SC & CR and loads of RC. But surely your VA has got to be near zero if you think your QA was ok. I know for sure that is not true so you should have spent time on QA too. reading solutions gives a false sense of confidence -which lasts only for about a day or two.
BTW - for 14 days that is not much study anyway. are you sure you only studied when you did sit down to study?

I must say that there are no verbal basics in OG. They assume that you know SC basics. I think here is where I'm weak and I did not use any other material to improve myself other than just doing questions from OG.

SC is made better by two things:
a) practice
b) more practice
You didn't do either. Also, a good footing is usually from your general life. How did you do in VA in schooling?

I think quant just needs more parctice.

seems like you need to go through the basics too. Also OG 10 does not have all the types of questions that nowadays are the norm in GMAT. For eg: Statistics.

If I give GMAT, it would be 3 weeks from now and i can not take any days off now. I can put in 2 hours every day and 12 hours on weekends.

Again, i think 3 weeks is a little less for you. What's the rush buddy? You wouldn't want to give it again and again.
And weekends need not be so heavy. you stress too much. take it in your stride.

I think my score can not improve if I redo same study material again. At this point I'm in dilemma to re appear for GMAT.

You hardly did anything. and there is loads of material on the net for you anyway.

Any advise here?

I am assuming you do want to give your GMAT again

The schools where I seek admissions, need 610 +.

I think what I'm asking for any tricks that can improve my score by 100 points in 5 hours!

there isn't any!

Do you guys see any flaws in my method or preparation? Any additional material I can use? Any other techniques I can employ to boost up my score? Pls point me to any online materials and you can also email me offline materials at

enuf said above

I would hate to reappear and end up getting same score again.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers and ATB

Kunal

Thanks gmat_enthus, diablorulez and Kunal Nagpal for suggestions and tips.

Regards

I did it!

710 this time. This forum has been extremely helpful to me. Feel free to private message if you mba aspirants need any help on gmat.

Regards,
-Kiran

I did it!

710 this time. This forum has been extremely helpful to me. Feel free to private message if you mba aspirants need any help on gmat.

Regards,
-Kiran

Now this great news 😁 :thumbsup: Nice to see you overcome your failure :D

ATB with apping mate. Please enlighten us on how did you make a comeback.

Hey
Thhs gr8.
This is called fighting spirit.
Am planning to take GMAT in december.
It wud be of gr8 help to me if u cud let me know some tips or strategies tht helped u reach 710.

Thank you

Hey dude let us know , how did u manage such a Huge Improvement? We will be greatly obliged

Hi,

That was a great come back dude!! Congrats :)

Well i am kinda sailing in the same boat as you where once..

The first time i took the GMAT i got a 560 - Math 47, Verbal 21.

During the practise tests i got the foll scores: Kaplan - 600, 580, 560; GMAT Prep - 540.

I am actually confused. People say that if you get a 550 in Kaplan, you ll get a 650 in original. But then, i can see a constant degradation in my performance.

Then i decided, that may be i was panicking towards the G-day and hence the bad score..

I took GMAT for a second time. This time i concentrated more on Verbal and almost neglected Math. I felt that the Math section had been too easy on the G Day. And this time the score was worse. 500 with 38 in math and 21 in verbal.
As usual Kaplan's i get 560 or 570 range..

Something is terrribly wrong with my prep. I dont know where i lag. and why.

I had practised the foll:
Princeton Review, Kaplan Premier edition, Kaplan Verbal, Kaplan 800, OG11.
Taken Kaplan full lengths and GMAT Prep.

One thing i noticed was my verbal scores did not improve/worsen. But my math had come down drastically. The second time, i had to almost work out every math sum. and i did not have time to complete a few sums in the very end.

I find that i do pretty good on the SCs. But i tend to lose my patience reading RC or CR towards the end of the exams.
I have to improve CR and RC desperately.
To be honest, i feel kind of lost when i think about re-writing - for the third time. But then I am left with no choice. I dont want to give up - not now.

Need help. If you could shred some light on how you could make it to the top, it would be of great help to me.

Thanks in advance.