[2013-15] MDI Gurgaon PGP GD/PI ExperiencesThread

Guys, All the best for the GD/PI starting tomorrow. Please share your experiences in this thread. Post the information according to the below format, so that it is easy for your fellow aspirants Also please find below links to the past y…

Guys,

All the best for the GD/PI starting tomorrow. Please share your experiences in this thread. Post the information according to the below format, so that it is easy for your fellow aspirants

Also please find below links to the past years' experiences

2012 -
http://www.pagalguy.com/forums/cat-and-related-bschools/2012-14-mdi-gurgaon-pgp-gd-slash-pi-experinces-thread-t-79737/p-3326540
2011 -
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2011-2013-mdi-gd-pi-experiences-25064139
2010 -
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2010-2012-mdi-gurgaon-gd-pi-experiences-25051921
2009 -
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2009-mdi-gurgaon-gd-pi-experiences-pgpmimhr-25038520
2008 -
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2008-mdi-pgpmpghrpgim-gd-pi-experience-25029602

Experience Structure

CAT OA Score:
Section 1:
Section 2:

X:
XII:
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age:

Work-Ex (number of months):
Sector :

Any other special thing about you:

VENUE: :

Slot: 1st day, 1st panel, 1st slot

Panel Number:

GD Details:

Topic:

Number of People present:
Time:

Other Salient Details:

PI Details:
Panel Members Intro:
Questions:
Your Expectations :

All the best !

all the best to the future ManDevIans!!

We're waiting for some experiences!!! C'mon people!!!!
I am HYPERexcited!!!

Alright so here I am. Probably the first person to be interviewed by MDI this season (First among the group of 9 present).

CAT: 99.12%ile QADI - 97.5 VALR ~ 98.5
X - 83.8 XII - 87.6 Grad - 7.6 CGPA

The topic for GD was: Are social networking sites increasingly becoming corporate networking sites. Was a fish market of the worst kind. Pounced in with some decent points from time to time. Moderated the GD towards the middle when it had gotten so out of hand that nobody knew what everybody else was saying , and made everybody speak one by one according to their seating order.

Although I was 5th in the displayed list, was the first person to be called in for the PI.

Interview.
There were two professors. P1 old and cheerful. P2, in his 40s - acted grim and serious. Apparently he was trying to add a stress component to the interview.

P1 announced my name and held the door open for me.
I entered, wished them and thanked them for offering a seat.

P2: Why do you want to do an MBA from MDI ?
Me: Listed a few points on why I want to do an MBA. The curriculum, methodology of teaching, networking with fellow students and corporates etc etc. MDI as it is a top 10 institute.

P2: No, I'm not convinced. My question is - Why MDI? All colleges offer these. All IIMs have these.
Me: The vast alumni base given MDI is quite old. The location - being situated in NCR.

P2: Asked about my background.. When did you complete your degree ? Why is the B.Tech and M.Tech awarded the same year ?
Me: Told. Was enrolled in a dual degree program in Biotechnology & Biochemical Engineering at IIT Kharagpur. Therefore...

P2: Ah .. Dual degree. A poor excuse for a degree !
Me: A faint quizzical smile. No response.

P2: Why did you choose biotechnology ?
Me: Told.

P2: So why don't you pursue a Ph.D. in Biotechnology.
Me: Requires a different set of skills. Had the opportunity after my graduation to do a Ph.D. from australia, but declined. Do not have the patience to work long hours in a laboratory on a single topic. Have a more macroscopic perspective of things.

P2: So how would your degree help you after your MBA ?
Me: Told them about my short and long term plans after an MBA.

P2: A guy who does an MBA after a B.Sc degree would be able to do the same things. How did B.Tech help.
Me: Told them about the quantitative and analytical skills build during a B.Tech and my Maths Olympiad achievements that would put me at an advantage. Also discussed how some core industry related courses like plant design, process engineering and downstream would help me understand the industry better.

P2: Tell me what do you do as a part of your job.
Me: Told

P2: How do you appraise the people working under you. What is the budget that you manage etc.
Me: Discussed in detail

P2 to P1: Do you want to ask something.

P1: Rate yourself.
Me: Sir, on what basis / criteria.

P1: Just rate yourself.
Me: I rate myself very highly. Due to my diverse experience I feel confident of handling a wide nature of tasks.

P1: Confident or overconfident.
Me: Confident, but i do acknowledge that I require further polishing and skill enhancement . An MBA is one way to ..

Discussion on some of my extra academic activities. Working for an Indo-Pak friendship NGO was one of them.
P2:Have you talked to any of the terror victims ? DO you still want peace.
Me: Yes, sir I have been in touch with a couple. Avoiding such incidents is one of the ends we want to achieve through the peace/friendship.

P1: What was your strategy during the GD.
Me: I was trying to listen and make sense of what others were saying. I tried to impart a direction to the discussion wherever I could ..

P1: What are biosensors. What is their application ?
Me: Have a good grounding in this course. Shot multiple examples and usages at him.

2 - 3 minute discussion including some followup Qns

P1: Do you read anything.
Me: Yes sir. I have read the Alchemist, 5 point someone, Da Vinci Code, Monk who sold his Ferrari ..

P1: ANy newspapers?
Me: Yes Sir. Times of India and Economic Times.

P1: Tell me about some of the developments of the past few days.
Me: Talked about the budget. The BJP conclave and NaMo's address etc.

P1: What were the main focus areas of the budget?
Me; Told

P1 and P2: Look at each other. OK thats it. You may go now.
Me; Thank you sir :)

--------

@iimrohtak said:
Alright so here I am. Probably the first person to be interviewed by MDI this season (First among the group of 9 present).The topic for GD was: Are social networking sites increasingly becoming corporate networking sites. Was a fish market.Was the first person to be called for PI after that. Experience - I shall post very soon. Need some rest right now.
can u please post your PI experience i have my PI tomorrow....kind of nervous...whats ur score?

more people sharing their experience please :)

my PI is tomorrow. Getting nervous.

Experience Structure

CAT OA Score: 98.99
Section 1: 99.18 (verbal)
Section 2: 95.48 (quant)

X: 90.8
XII: 81.6
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 71.08

Work-Ex (number of months): 12
Sector : oil and gas

Any other special thing about you: huh?

VENUE: MDI

date: 04.03.13
Slot: 1 pm
Panel Number:5

GD Details:

Topic: social networking sites have become corporate networking sites..

Number of People present: 9 (3 absent)
Time: 15 mins

Other Salient Details: GD was gud ..content was not much so everyone had a chance to speak...i was personally praised by d panel fr my performance in gd during my pi :P
had to summarise at d end...every1 ws asked fr it..

PI Details:
Panel Members Intro:one was a male(M) , one female(F), most prob both were profs

Questions:

Q: how do u rate ur GD performance
A: i said 7/10...(they laughed n said that we thot u were very gud ..shud we cut ur marks now) gave them a stupid smile

Q. took my personal data form...said ki do u only study as i had left my extra currics blank as they were frm state n national level..
A: i said i hv done at college university level bt not at state or national level

Q: asked wt r my hobbies
A: told (asked a bit abt d author i told as my fav)

Q: movie dekhti ho?
A. barfi

Q: y barfi was sent to oscars
A : had a tough task to defend bt they werent convinced i guess

Q: gave 3-4 options to be interviewd on (maths, gk, analytics, ur own field)
A: my own field

Q: asked a very stupid n basic question on dat
A: told

Q: asked it to link it to motivation
A: did (M said very gud on 2 pts :P)

Q: smwhr i said consistency and they started grilling me on it
A: bakar

Q: y HR above PGP?
A: told

only M asked d questions, F only asked d last one...
both were very chilled out....
in short, a cool calm happy interview..

Your Expectations : hope to make it to MDI-HR :)

all d best to all of u....hope this helps

@swati7garg
Nice PI...
All the best to u
@swati7garg said:
Experience StructureCAT OA Score: 98.99Section 1: 99.18 (verbal)Section 2: 95.48 (quant)ProfileX: 90.8XII: 81.6Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 71.08Work-Ex (number of months): 12Sector : oil and gasAny other special thing about you: huh?VENUE: MDIdate: 04.03.13Slot: 1 pm Panel Number:5GD Details: Topic: social networking sites have become corporate networking sites..Number of People present: 9 (3 absent)Time: 15 minsOther Salient Details: GD was gud ..content was not much so everyone had a chance to speak...i was personally praised by d panel fr my performance in gd during my pi had to summarise at d end...every1 ws asked fr it..PI Details:Panel Members Introne was a male(M) , one female(F), most prob both were profsQuestions:Q: how do u rate ur GD performanceA: i said 7/10...(they laughed n said that we thot u were very gud ..shud we cut ur marks now) gave them a stupid smileQ. took my personal data form...said ki do u only study as i had left my extra currics blank as they were frm state n national level..A: i said i hv done at college university level bt not at state or national levelQ: asked wt r my hobbiesA: told (asked a bit abt d author i told as my fav)Q: movie dekhti ho?A. barfiQ: y barfi was sent to oscarsA : had a tough task to defend bt they werent convinced i guessQ: gave 3-4 options to be interviewd on (maths, gk, analytics, ur own field)A: my own fieldQ: asked a very stupid n basic question on dat A: toldQ: asked it to link it to motivationA: did (M said very gud on 2 pts )Q: smwhr i said consistency and they started grilling me on itA: bakarQ: y HR above PGP?A: toldonly M asked d questions, F only asked d last one...both were very chilled out....in short, a cool calm happy interview..Your Expectations : hope to make it to MDI-HR all d best to all of u....hope this helps
did they disclose the weightages of gd pi academic profile etc in final selection?
@koyalbrrr said:
did they disclose the weightages of gd pi academic profile etc in final selection?
nope
@swati7garg so yu have no idea of the same?
@swati7garg Aapko toh 2 seats denge woh!!! Nailed it!! Congrats!! :D

Hi all who attended process today. How many students are there in one group for GD? and what was the duration of GD?

@koyalbrrr said:
@swati7garg so yu have no idea of the same?
nope...its nt wriiten or mentioned newhr..bt dey r rumoured to give a considerable high wtage to CAT score..
rokhatri 15 min, 12 ppl
in my grp 3 were absent
@swati7garg said:
Experience StructureCAT OA Score: 98.99Section 1: 99.18 (verbal)Section 2: 95.48 (quant)ProfileX: 90.8XII: 81.6Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 71.08Work-Ex (number of months): 12Sector : oil and gasAny other special thing about you: huh?VENUE: MDIdate: 04.03.13Slot: 1 pm Panel Number:5GD Details: Topic: social networking sites have become corporate networking sites..Number of People present: 9 (3 absent)Time: 15 minsOther Salient Details: GD was gud ..content was not much so everyone had a chance to speak...i was personally praised by d panel fr my performance in gd during my pi had to summarise at d end...every1 ws asked fr it..PI Details:Panel Members Introne was a male(M) , one female(F), most prob both were profsQuestions:Q: how do u rate ur GD performanceA: i said 7/10...(they laughed n said that we thot u were very gud ..shud we cut ur marks now) gave them a stupid smileQ. took my personal data form...said ki do u only study as i had left my extra currics blank as they were frm state n national level..A: i said i hv done at college university level bt not at state or national levelQ: asked wt r my hobbiesA: told (asked a bit abt d author i told as my fav)Q: movie dekhti ho?A. barfiQ: y barfi was sent to oscarsA : had a tough task to defend bt they werent convinced i guessQ: gave 3-4 options to be interviewd on (maths, gk, analytics, ur own field)A: my own fieldQ: asked a very stupid n basic question on dat A: toldQ: asked it to link it to motivationA: did (M said very gud on 2 pts )Q: smwhr i said consistency and they started grilling me on itA: bakarQ: y HR above PGP?A: toldonly M asked d questions, F only asked d last one...both were very chilled out....in short, a cool calm happy interview..Your Expectations : hope to make it to MDI-HR all d best to all of u....hope this helps
did we have to summarises verbally or on paper
@iimrohtak hey..what was your panel number?
@swati308 said:
@iimrohtak hey..what was your panel number?
No. 4
teenflip_1991
verbally...