[2010-2012] MDI Gurgaon GD/PI Experiences

118 Posts  ·  114 Users
About this group
Hi Puys I could not find a thread for MDI GD/PI Experiences for 2010. The process starts on the 25th of March and so I thought of starting this thread. This time around there is going to be one GD/PI for all courses - PGPM, PGPHR and PGPIM. ...
Page 1 of 12
CAT Score:
DI 82.XX
Quant 91.6
Verbal 98.98
Aggregate 96.91

PROFILE:
Acads:
X 91.4
XII 86.8
Undergrad B.E. Biotechnology 70%

Any other special thing abt u: decent extra curriculars

VENUE: gurgaon

GD Details:
Topic:be successful for being satisfied
Number of Ppl present 10
Time: 12th apr, 2pm
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: very healthy discussion. one of the best i have ever attended. no fish mkt. everybody spoke in a good way and there were no fights & disagreements. Maybe because this was an abstract topic. there were 2 girls and 8 guys, and being one of the girls I got plently of chance to speak & even start the topic by defining both the terms. The guys were courteous enuf to let others put their points. :)
After the gd was over, each of us was asked to summarize it in 30 seconds.

PI Details:
Slot: 2pm
Panel Number: 3
Panel Members Intro: 2 people, both Male, one 40ish, and other 55 something (bald head.., very intimidating)
Questions:

My PI was very very strange and weird. They only asked me 3 questions, the 1st was introduce urself and tell anything other than what I had written in the personal data form. i spoke for hardly 15 seconds before they cut me and they asked me whether i believed in God or not. And, atleast a 7 min discussion about God, religions, spiruality followed. they even gave me 1 min to convince them that how i justify God & how believing in God can help a manager in running an organization...

The last question was technical. They asked me to list 5 biotechnological devices, and i fumbled here and cudnt reply smoothly. This again was followed by a counter question that whether one shud be emphatic about things he doesnt know. I said No, never, and its better to admit your mistakes early on.

And that was it!! All this questioning was done by the 50ish proff and after this answer he nudged the other person to ask me, who in turn shuffled some papers and said I cud go. That was it! I was so shocked coz the interview hardly took 10 minutes...

I dont have any idea what it was.. maybe it was HR specific coz I have filled HR as my 1st preference.

But I rate my chances very low because of my percentile... Keeping my fingers crossed though!

gt thru 😃 PGP HR. 😃
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

CAT Score:
DI - 97.92
Quant - 96.80
Verbal - 90.XX
Aggregate - 98.0
PROFILE:
Acads:
X - 89.5
XII - 89.5
Undergrad Major - 82.5 (ECE)
Work-Ex (number of months):34
Sector : IT
Any other special thing abt u: college level TT player, decent extra-currics
VENUE: Bangalore
GD Details:
Topic: MF Hussain's Departure from India is a blow to India's freedom of expression
Number of Ppl present -11 (1 extra)
Time: 20mins
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: Decent GD...every1 but 1 guy participated...came in 4-5 times with some valid points...summarized towards da end voluntarily as no one came foward...
my take - 4/5
Other Salient Details: hardly any time to think..topic was announced by da panel and were asked to start almost immediately...
PI Details:
Slot: 9:00 AM
Panel Members: Prof1, Prof2
Prof1 did da entire interview...prof2 was enjoying a cup of coffee wid biscuits...
Prof1 : Tell me something abt ur childhood
Me: started off wid my birth place...gave a brief outline of family background and spoke about staying in different cities...
Prof1 : So tell me about ur dads profession...
Me: blah blah
Prof1: how did u get scholarship (mentioned in my form)?
Me: blah..blah..
Prof1 : What is da difference between a LED and a diode ?
Me: explained ...(looked convienced)
Prof1: What is da use of IC-741 ?
Me : sorry sir...i dont know...
Prof1: Its easy to say "i dont know"...just make an attempt...(passes a notepad to me ) and says "Why dont u draw da pin diagram of IC 741..
Me: drew a rectangle and marked da standard Vcc ground pins...told dont remember da other pins...
tried to lead him into my area of work
Me: Sir, I am working in Storage technology for da past 2 years...will be gre8 if u cud ask me questions on dat...
Prof1: Difference b/w SATA and IDE disks..
Me: explained convincingly..
Prof1: So tell me what u do in work ...what r ur specific roles..
Me: blah...blah..
Prof1: Who is ur client...wat is he into..
Me: blah..blah...
Prof1: What is Requirement based Service Delivery...
Me: made up some crap...
Prof1: Why MBA ?
Me: blah...blah...
Prof1: Why MDI ?
Me: blah..blah..

Prof2 finally after finishing his coffee...
Prof2: What are ur other calls ?
Me: IIM L,I
Prof2 : What is ur order of preference ?
Me: (tried to evade) sir right now I am not in a position...(was cut)
Prof2: (with a stern look) Assume u got all 3...now make ur choice..how will u rank them?
Me: L I and MDI...
Prof2: Why ?
Me: spoke about brand IIM...among IIMs told about L's pedigree...
Prof1: thank you..
Greetings exchanged and left the room.

PI was for 10-12 minutes...pretty short...but was da same pattern to all those before and after me...
Start off with a general question about u, then questions from da form, then a couple of acad questions, work ex related questions for ppl wid work-ex...and finish off wid why MBA/MDI... freshers naturally were asked more from acads as work -ex questions cant be asked to them..some ppl also got General awareness questions...i dint get any though...
My take
PI was decent...
Overall - CAT score cud have played spoilsport..GD/PI was definitely above average...

Final result : Wait List 100 (shud convert)...but have converted L and wont join...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

CAT Score:
DI - 99.92
Quant - 93.50
Verbal - 78.97
Aggregate - 98.50

PROFILE:
Acads:
X - 83.8
XII - 78.5
Undergrad Major - 88.20 (Mech, NIT)

Work-Ex (number of months):34
Sector : IT

Any other special thing abt u: naaah

VENUE: Bangalore
GD Details:
Topic: FDI in retails will affect the small shop owners
Number of Ppl present -8 (2 absent)
Time: 20mins
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: I started the GD and also chipped in 4-5 times with some valid points. It was never a fish market. The discussion was good. my take - 4/5

Other Salient Details: 2 mins to think and then discuss for 15-20 mins and then last min summarise and conclude.
half of the time one Panel member was absent...couple of time the other member also stepped to open the door and stuff... was anyone listening

PI Details:
Slot: 2:00 Pm
Panel Members Intro: PM1, PM2
Greetings exchanged, took seat and thanked.

PM1 : Tell me something abt ur self except wats written in the form
Me: extra cirriculars and hobbies and family
PM1 : Any other hobby other than sudoku. (had cleared 1st round to take part in national championship and was ranked 38th)
Me: blah blah
PM1 : Which filed would you opt for
Me: Fin...have some basic knowledge
PM1: Wat is the full form of CAPM
Me :
PM1 passes on to PM2 (my interpretation - he is useless... you handle him)
PM2 : So you are mech engg..
Me: Yes Sir (unfortunately)
PM2: How comfortable are you in mech...
Me: I will try my...
PM2: (cut me in middle) I will ask just basics
Me: Ok
PM2: Tell me on wat principle does a pulley work
Me: Thought for 10 secs and some gyaan
PM2 didnt look not convinced
PM2: Okay on wat principle flight takes off
Me: gyaan...(not so confident)
PM2: Explain that principle and statement
Me: Gyaan
PM2: Relate it with flight take off
Me: Gyaan
PM2 looks to PM1 (my interpretation - ab tum bhi le lo)
PM1 : God's particle was named after whom?
Me: (yaad aaja pleaseee)
PM1 : its named after an Indian scientist
Me:( i know but aint able to recollect)
PM1: have you heard abt it
Me: Yes sir
PM1 : Anything you want to ask us?
Me: When are the final results coming out?
PM1 : Institute will notify
Me: thank you

Greetings exchanged and left the room.

My take
Gd - good
PI - average to bad
Overall - Since weightage on CAT score is more and a poor PI looks like loong waiting list again.

Final result : Merit List rank 623 (looks like will get converted

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

People,

please don't speculate on GD/PI Experience thread. This is meant only for experiences.

@ mods

please close the thread.

** MBA is hyped but post MBA life is over hyped **
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
True the site isn't working properly; not even after clearing the cache n refreshing.
This might be a precursor to the anouncement of results.

Adding new web page or database on server does not effects d functioning of existing webpages of a site.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
prannoy.kothari Says
MDI Site is down..!..can the seniors confirm if he results are to be come out today..

True the site isn't working properly; not even after clearing the cache n refreshing.
This might be a precursor to the anouncement of results.
For all the information about IIFT, visit IIFT's official Page - https://www.facebook.com/IIFT.MBA1
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Friends, are MDI's final placement reports for this year out? If yes, could someone plz provide the link? Thanks

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
prannoy.kothari Says
MDI Site is down..!..can the seniors confirm if he results are to be come out today..

Site is working as healthy as ever with no results on it.
try cleaning your cache n refreshing.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

CAT Score:
DI- 95.59
Quant- 99.75
Verbal-98.98
Aggregate- 99.81

PROFILE:
Acads:
X- 83.6
XII-77
Undergrad Major - 77.1

Work-Ex (number of months):2
Sector :Civil Construction Co.

Any other special thing abt u: Sports - National and Zonals; MUSIC - Zonal ; Maths olympiad.

VENUE:MDI Gurgaon.

GD Details:
Topic: Should Gov remove subsidy...
Number of Ppl present- 12
Time:9 :30
Brief Snapshot of Discussion: Decent GD the best speaker sat next to me (Karthik ... nice person to talk to) I knew nothing when compared to guys in the group so chose to remain silent. Spoke 1 point but was wrong.
Other Salient Details: 1 by 1 summary .. spoke something...

PI Details:
Slot:9: 30
Panel Number:
Panel Members Intro: 2 profs.
Questions:

P- So tell me ur weakness ?
Me - (Ain pehle hi nikal doge kya? ) Said I have this personality trait that hampers me dont know wether to categorize it as a aweakness... ( he found it ok ... man even i can be diplomatic)

P - Tell me ur strength ?
Me- Related it to my sports experiences. Impressed.

P- Oh have u played Ranjit Trophy?
Me- No sir, I have played alongside ranjit players in All India Inter Univ. ..blah blah.... Impressed.

P- Some opinion about management ?
Me- Blah blah..

P- Got into politics ?? Is politics good or bad ? politics in corporate?
M- Said politics is neutral. (he said correct.) blah blah.... didnt seem satisfied ..blah blah.... finallly he smiled and understood that i am not lying and i am really this naive... ( well quite frankly dont understand politics nor do i apply any brains in trying to... )

P - (Dont rem how this ques was framed ...something about leading a team)?
Me- Sir , while i was captain of the univ. blah blah.... enjoy each other success ...leading by example.. ..quoted specific instances while playing.

P- Why have u left ur job after 2 months?
Me- blah blah... convinced.

P- ok show ur marksheets for % in 10 and 12? ...Oh u scored a 100 in Maths Good.

P - Ok all the best thank you.
Me- Thank you.

MISC.
Overall had a horrible Gd knew nothing .. spoke nothing ... Summary was ok..
Interview was very good had a real good conversation...

Have a friend studying in campus so stayed with him ... MDI has hotel like hostels... Chilled out place u dont have to survive like some people say ...chileed out life..... bandiyan theek thaak hain ... lekin Bike rakh sakte hain aur south delhi bagal me hai to bandiyon ki college me zaroorat nhi hai jab man kare to pahunch jao Delhi.
I hope i have not voilated any of the PG codes.. afterall bandiyan bhi is an imp fac in deciding a campus. rt dudes.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...