[2011] XLRI GD/PI Experiences BM and HRM/PMIR

Hi everyone, (Copying, pasting and editing from last year post) On the eve of the interviews, I know that people would be hell lot busy preparing for the final showdown. Therefore I take this opportunity to start off the thread which wou…

Hi everyone,

(Copying, pasting and editing from last year post)

On the eve of the interviews, I know that people would be hell lot busy preparing for the final showdown. Therefore I take this opportunity to start off the thread which would be religiously visited by us in the next few days. ALL THE BEST puys. Let's crack the big one to meet soon in the school of our dreams.

Amen

Please follow the following format while posting :

____________________________________________________________________________________

This interview is for the course: (BM or PMIR/HRD)
Other calls: (other XL calls, other institute calls)
XAT percentile:
Interview Centre:
Educational Profile
X:
XII:
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age:
Any other professional certification or course undertaken:

Work profile (if applicable)
Number of years: Sector/Industry:
Special achievements at work:
Other differentiating factors (anything great that you have done in life, that's out of the ordinary):

Regarding GD/Group exercise
GD/GE Topic: (only if you had a GD/GE)
Number of participants:
Duration:
Brief snapshot of discussion:

About the panel
Panelists Intro: (Number of panelists, and if possible, tell names from here: http://xlri.ac.in/scripts/faculty_profiles.php)
Some words about the panel and its general behavior/conduct:

PI Questions:

Any other details that you think are relevant:
Your advice for future aspirants:
____________________________________________________________________________________

A request:
1. Kindly do not post anything other than your experiences of XLRI GD-PI.
2. If you like reading someone else's experiences, please use the THANK button to express that. Or, send that person a PM, instead of cluttering up the thread.
3. Please don't post any questions unless you think it would be helpful for other aspirants. Again, use PM to ask any other queries.

Cheers,
IIMaterial

Previous years' interview experiences links:

2010: http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2010-xlri-pi-experiences-bm-pmir-25050632

2009: http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2009-xlri-gd-pi-experiences-bm-and-pmir-25037845

@IIM Material - Thanks Bro. Would like to add another field if i am allowed to do so.. The names of the interviewers (profs).

All the best Puys...:cheerio:

Hi puys,

I was shortlisted for BM. So it was just the interview for me

A panel of 3 sat before me

P1 - middle-aged man (spoke 50% of the time)
P2 - middle-aged man (did everything but talk)
P3 - old man (did the rest of the talk, listened intently, looked for opportunities to stress u out..)

Duration: 15-20 min

List of qstns:

1. abt urself (the idea here is to keep talking abt urself, ur acads, work ex, job profile, company etc etc..stick to the truth)

2. y the chosen field for grad. (be genuine abt it)
3 relation of field of grad to current work (dint have to take much of an effort in my case )

4. challenges at work (dont make it up)

5. projects/ achievements

6. how is the market for ur industry (do a lot of reading and form opinions)

7. asked abt competitor and competitor's products (Nano)

8. some more info asked about auto industry, comapny stding, latest news, new happenings etc.

9. asked abt interests.

10. i told them abt blogging.. so they asked about when i started? blogpage? wat is the content? lot more talk (pls choose a intrest which u can speak about)

11. P3 spoke for abt 5 min on the company i was workin for, its progress, my salary, my work, my profile, etc etc..and then all 3 stared at me.
I stared back at them. They told me to answer. I asked them wats the qstn? actually it was "y mba"?

12. preferences (told options open)

13. they told me to be specific. (i told prefernces are ops/mktg)

14. which industry? (i told manufcg or non-manufcg)

15. which industry other than manufcg.. (i told fmcg)

16. Some basic qstns on fmcg and companies

17. Tried to unsettle me by saying fmcg not ur cup of tea etc etc, v dont take engg for fmcg, etc etc. I smiled back and said u ll face massive manpower shortage then)

17. Y mktg? convince us. ..they tried dicomforting me again in between

18. Y not finance? and a few more qstns to try and spice it up ..responded

19. Asked me abt my other calls.. (told them)

20. In case of converting all calls which one u ll take and y? (be careful here..its a pitfall )

21. Tried needling & unsettling me again.. (big smile from my side)

Pi,P2, P3 - i think we r done..thank u

I think it went of well ..no regrets as such

Important points:
.No bluffs pls..be honest
.Choose intrests properly...Rest all will be fine

Others pls post ur experiences..ATB

Cheers

This Interview experience is posted by a fellow puy on XLRI BM / PMIR Call Getters Discussion for GD PI thread. Thought I should post it here.

Hi all, the standard format is a little too long, I will try to broadly cover the relevant stuff here.

Had my HRM interview at Xaviers Mumbai today.

The GD started at about 9.15, No document verification, No need to carry your CV, The panel didn't even look at the file. They just referred to the printed profile sheet that they were carrying with them. (Dont know if this was specific only to my panel, guys who had the BM interview would be able to tell what the other panel did.)

GD Topic : National games ,big festival for a poor nation. We had a very civilized discussion. (Around 20 mins, Warning when 2 mins were remaining)

PI : For me ( B.Tech, NITB, 3.5 Yrs with a IT company) the questions were mostly situational, i.e. in X/Y scenario what would be your stand. Some questions on the hometown , the industries that are there, role of HR in my company, what changes would I bring if I was made the HR, My take on india's seat at UN security council, What would I do for labor welfare if I was made the labor minister, etc. Mostly very general stuff but which required knowledge of current affairs.

The whole thing was over in around 1.5 hour and I managed to reach my office earlier than my usual time :)

They asked for my XAT score in the and why I didnt have BM call. So make sure u remember ur xat score.

Best of luck everyone !

- Neel

Hey Puys,

Does anyone remembers the essay topic.what was it?

thanks in advance.

"The statesman who should attempt to direct private people in what manner they ought to employ their capitals would not only load himself with most unnecessary attention but assume an authority which could safely be trusted to no council and senate whatever, and which would nowhere be so dangerous as in the hands of man who have folly and presumption enough to fancy himself fit to exercise it.

This interview is for the course: (BM or PMIR/HRD) PMIR
Other calls: (other XL calls, other institute calls)
XAT percentile: 96.34
Interview Centre: St. Xaviers, Mumbai

Educational Profile
X: 90%
XII: 91.5 %
Undergrad Major - GPA/%age: 67% BE (Mumbai University)
Any other professional certification or course undertaken:

Work profile (if applicable)
Number of years: Sector/Industry: 2 yrs (IT)
Special achievements at work: a few awards
Other differentiating factors (anything great that you have done in life, that's out of the ordinary):

Regarding GD/Group exercise
GD/GE Topic: (only if you had a GD/GE) What can Indians learn from the Egyptian revolution?
Number of participants: 10
Panelists' intro (if possible):

1. Anita Sarkar
  2. Santanu Sarkar
  3. an oldie whose name i dont know

Duration:
Brief snapshot of discussion:
They give you 15 mins to discuss plus 30 secs to each person at the end for summarising. It went quite well with the participants chipping in with useful points. No fish market.
Names of the professors in the panel: (Verify from here: XLRI - Jamshedpur :: Faculty - Faculty Profiles)

PI Questions:

1. Purely HR based.
  2. Role of HR in a company.
  3. How many times have you interacted with the HR in your company?
  4. How has he/she helped you?
  5. Some situations where you are asked your opinion if you had been the HR manager.
  6. A few questions related to Industrial relations.
  7. No technical stuff + acads asked.
  8. No why HR + why MBA (though they tacitly get to know it through their questions).

I was asked nothing about current affairs but a few from my group were asked. So be prepared.

The panel is quite cool. They give you plenty of time to think. They dint even have a look at my XAT scorecard and the interview letter. I guess they dont know your XAT score since they asked me at the end about mine. The profile sheet which everyone is mentioning is nothing but the form which we had filled at the time of applying for XAT. I am a bit disappointed with the my interview as i could not fare well on the Industrial Relations questions. Not keeping high hopes. All the best puys . Fare well 😁
navjotsg Says
Was the GD an elimination round, also were any questions asked on the essay?

GD is not an elimination round. 😃
shellyberry

Please refrain from posting anything other than GDPI experiences. I understand your concerns but friend there is a separate thread for queries.:D

Had My BM interview today and here goes my experience.

XAT:98.07

Work ex:20 months Oil and Gas PSU.

Mumbai, Xaviers 1020 slot.

Three panel members with Mr.Abhijit Gandopadhyay(P1) ,Mr.Varshney(P2) .(P3 I don't know).

The person before me forgot to sign in the file so when I was about to sign against my name,they asked me to call that guy. I tried but he was already gone.It was of great help to me.

P1:So how do you stay in Indian Oil nagar?It is full of pollution.

Me:Sir company has provided us with accommodation.Also well connected so don't have any problem.

P1:Why not in ur chembur colony?

Me:Limited flats and families preferred.

P1:So ur company encourages you to get married.Everyone laughs:DNow back to real interview.

P3:Which company would you like to join?

Me:Sir after MBA?As I want to specialize in operations,some operation management oreinted company,FMCG companies.

P2:Name some FMCG comapany.

Me:ITC,HUL etc.

P1:So you want to join ITC?

Me:May be sir.

P1:But all these FMCG companies outsource manufacturing.What they manufacture?Do you know their manufacturing plants?

Me:Sir not aware of exact locations but they do have sunfeast biscuits,aashirwaad aata and other food products.

P1:Name wheat growing states of India.

Me:Punjab and Haryana well known.

P1:SO FMCG must be having something there.

Me: Don know about ITC but ya Britannia does have plant in Raniganj.

P1:ITC is subsidary of which foreign company?:splat:

Me:(Clueless)Sir it is Indian Tobacco company so I believe it is not a subsidiary. Here Mr. Abhijit goes and try to call up the previous guy and so he was not present for my interview after this.Lucky me

P3:tell us about ur hobbies.

Me: Distance running

P3: Did u run in Mumbai Marathon.

Me:Yes,sir.

P2:You are a Chemical Engineer.What is chemical bonding and types of bonds.

Me:Told about sigma and Pi bonds and their strength.

P2:In term of humans what do we call these bonds?Compare sigma and Pi there.

Me:Sir,it is relationship and here Sigma bond would be blood relations and relations with colleagues etc. is pi bond.

P3:But brothers do kill each other.

Me:Those are exceptions.

P3: What about husband -wife?That is not blood relationship?

Me:Ya but that is also sigma bond.And gave some arbit reasoning.

P2:What else can we call this in place of sigma-Pi bond?

Me:hmm..(Nahi pata)

P2:Tell what is real and ideal.

Me:Faltu funde..

P2: Give example of ideal and real.

Me:Started talking about Carnot engine being ideal and was interrrupted.

P2:Thoda real life example will help.

Me:A nice example from office work and elaborated on that.

P2:Give an example of Win win.

Me:This one I replied properly and handled the grilling reasonably.

P2:Name some NGO

Me:Gave two NGO I had been associated with.

P3:Tell some international news.

Me:Libya and Arab stuff.

P3:Tell us why BP buying RIL stake after oil spill?What was that oil spill?Who was at fault?Should it happen and many question one by one.

Me:answered it to the max I can and gave my opinion also as who was responsible.It was okay but the discussion was long.By that time Mr. Abhijit came.

P1:Why did you apply for HRM?you want only ops

Me:Sir I heard HRM is a well reputed course in XLRI and also has general management profile so I thought it might help.

P1:Ok,So what is being done by your company for Oil hedging?

Me: Don't know the exact amout but CMD has gone to Saudi to fix next year contract.

P1:Crude price now.

Me-Brent 105 $ and Indian basket little lesser than that.

P1:How costly do you think it will be?

Me:If arab problem persists then 125 $ is possible.

P2&3:Okay you may leave.

Me:Thank you with a big smile.

PS1:P3 was observing everything very closely and checked the file.

PS2:They have our XAT registration form only and din't see the essay paper.Rest very chill!

PS3:Bhai logon,XL mein ho na ho kam se kam 10 15 thanks maar dena utne mein hi khush ho jaunga:-)

PS4:Thanks for the many "Thanks".Result:Converted and joining XLRI BM:-)

Since my post has attracted quite a lot of groans, let me write why I made the suggestion. Still want to groan? No issues with that. But looks like I'm being looked at like a racist or something!

Since I got a call only for HRM i'm not really keen on reading the interviews for BM. I've observed that the interviews are quite different for both. BM's interviews, seem a lot more focussed on academics than HRM's. Besides, if I got a call from BM alone, why would I be interested about questions on 'industrial relations', 'trade unions' etc. and the GD topic? When I was going through last years' experience threads, I had to keep searching for PMIR experiences.

hey puys..had both my interviews..feeling relaxed..
1. d candidate profile is a print out of d details u had entered in d XAT & XLRI application form..nothing else..

2.GD has a batch of 10..

everythg is going smooth..

My GD topic: National Games: Costly affair for a poor country..
I was lucky 2 have good ppl on GD..constructive discussion..covered most of d points..everybody had a chance 2 speak..:D

Interview HRM:

Q:s related to my work(power sector) , school n college..

Interview BM:
current affairs n GK on my engin. stream:civil...no Q:s on y MBA..or of that nature..

Two queries :
1. Were there points in the GD that had to be prioritized?

2. The average duration of the interview for HRM

Please reply

Two queries :
1. Were there points in the GD that had to be prioritized?

2. The average duration of the interview for HRM

Please reply

1. No prioritisation, normal gd

2. 15-20 mins pretty quick
1. No prioritisation, normal gd

2. 15-20 mins pretty quick

@ ashvek - Bro could you please tell who were the panelists.
Reading from the posts above I see that 2 of the panelists were

Anita Sarkar
Shantanu Sarkar

Could you please throw some light on the 3 rd panelist

XLRI - Jamshedpur :: Faculty - Faculty Profiles

Thanks
@ ashvek - Bro could you please tell who were the panelists.
Reading from the posts above I see that 2 of the panelists were

Anita Sarkar
Shantanu Sarkar

Could you please throw some light on the 3 rd panelist

XLRI - Jamshedpur :: Faculty - Faculty Profiles

Thanks

Its P Venugopal
lakshyamba2010 Says
@born2banMBA could you please elaborate on your interview as in specific questions and the approximate time it lasted.

HRM Qs:
Coal reserves? Hometown n wat is it famous 4? plant efficiency? type of plants? 2 good n 2 bad qlys of my HR? rest i don't rmr..

BM Qs:
Company profile? y was it in news recently? Biggest airport n port ? 5 architectural wonders in india? rest i don't remember
ashvek_ambe Says
Its P Venugopal

You sure about this dude?? P Venugopal is a Marketing professor how come he is taking the HRM interview along with Anita Sarkar and Shantanu Sarkar?
:wow:
HRM Qs:
Coal reserves? Hometown n wat is it famous 4? plant efficiency? type of plants? 2 good n 2 bad qlys of my HR? rest i don't rmr..

BM Qs:
Company profile? y was it in news recently? Biggest airport n port ? 5 architectural wonders in india? rest i don't remember

2 questions:
where was your interview venue and who all were in the panel
one more thing...did they look extensively through the file? did u take a resume with u?
You sure about this dude?? P Venugopal is a Marketing professor how come he is taking the HRM interview along with Anita Sarkar and Shantanu Sarkar?
:wow:

Don't be surprised..You always have a marketing prof in the HR panel..mainly for one reason dat you have to study some courses of marketing, finance etc also..