[2004] Xquizzette - Post your XLRI queries here

hi junta, wih XAT round the corner, you must be having many questions about XLRI Jamshedpur. Post all your queries here to get answers from XL students. We’ll try to respond as soon as possible. Regards, Kush PMIR 2004-…

hi junta,

wih XAT round the corner, you must be having many questions about XLRI Jamshedpur.

Post all your queries here to get answers from XL students. We'll try to respond as soon as possible.

Regards,

Kush
PMIR 2004-06
XLRI

hey thanks for this thread
i wud like to know more abt the essay thing.. details abt it.. and how to approach writin it.. also how much relevance will it have in overall selection.!!! thanks
cheerS
jay

hey kush.. good work dude.. really appreciate ur initiative inspite of tight schedule at XL..
rajesh

hey kunal i messed up with the xat admit card ,my sign was not there n i miistakenly clicd on mine now there is no way to alter it n mailed to ur place but in vain can u help me out mine xat id is 700203

i wud like to know more abt the essay thing.. details abt it.. and how to approach writin it.. also how much relevance will it have in overall selection.!!! thanks
cheerS
jay

Hi jay,

You will have to write a 20 min essay after to submit your xat answer sheet. Space prvided would be limited(1 page). Topic can be anything under the sun, so going thru essay books wont be of much help.

Just think about the essay topic for a while, structure your thoughts well and then write it in simple language. Neatly written essays are always easier for the examiner to check.

XLRI does not specify where or at what stage this essay is used. I remember seeing my essay with the panel durin my interview, but no questions were asked on it. But the very fact that they make you write this essay means that it is indeed taken into consideration for selection.

Regards

Kush

hey kush

thanks for the info!! if hv any other doubts will surely bother u again!
cheerS

Jay

Hi buddy...

can u tell us how to work on GK.....

and what is the weightage given to GK scores for giving calls....
how to give finishing touche to the prep...

thanx

thanks for this kind of a thread...with cat screwed up xat and xlri seems to be the only option left to most of us..

all the best to everyone giving xat!!! 😁

cheerS
jay

hmm.. Jay u got an incentive to get into XL.. one of ure seniors(if you get thru) is also Jay Mehta and he's from Bombay too

ciao
Chandrasekhar
XLRI BM
Batch of 2006
Hi buddy...

can u tell us how to work on GK.....

and what is the weightage given to GK scores for giving calls....
how to give finishing touche to the prep...

thanx

XAT GK is very unpredictable and i am yet to come across a gk book tht gives XAT type questions. Last yr we had questions on humorous quotes, history, geog. etc .

I guess the best way to crack XAT GK is intelligent thinking during the exam. You'll have lot of time in hand as XAT has sectional time limits.

GK section has its own cut off so it is as imp as any other section. You have to clear GK cut off to get a call from XL.

Finishing touch to prep...just brush up your vocab, maths formulae (esp perm n comb) and keep a cool mind.

Regds,

Kush

PS-> chond, sood, mrugank... see wht can u add to gk prep bit.

Hi kush

I have applied for the BM course. Is Maths more important for it or english?

[quote="saxenakush
XAT GK is very unpredictable and i am yet to come across a gk book tht gives XAT type questions. Last yr we had questions on humorous quotes, history, geog. etc .

I guess the best way to crack XAT GK is intelligent thinking during the exam. You'll have lot of time in hand as XAT has sectional time limits.

GK section has its own cut off so it is as imp as any other section. You have to clear GK cut off to get a call from XL.

Finishing touch to prep...just brush up your vocab, maths formulae (esp perm n comb) and keep a cool mind.

Regds,

Kush

The main problem with XAT GK last year was that it had a variety of questions...and most of them were of more than average difficulty. So people got a lil psyched in the exam. Most people I know landed up marking a lot of answers randomly , as they thought they were not getting anything anyways. But even in those 60 questions, there were about 10 easy questions, and another 15 workable ones. So all tht was required was a sensible attempt of 25-28 questions. And if my memory serves me correctly, the cutoff (from wht we heard after discussing on campus) was about 20(+or -2) . So most imp thing as Kush said was keeping ur cool. And very very important to focus on accuracy , in GK, and in XAT overall. The 1/3 rd negative is quite high and can be damaging. From what I remember of the GK section year before last, it was also quite difficult, but less arbit than previous years GK. So theres not much of a patter there.
In general read the papers, if u have the time see the IMS and CL publications...they have a section on GK..but only if u have time. I feel that its better to practice maths and analytical kind of questions which are sure to come in XAT paper....also GRE wordlists...which will help you in VERBAL ABILITY, rather than GK.
For GK , keep a cool head, and remember that you dont have to max the GK section, just clear the cutoff....and 25/60 is a good score in any XAT GK.
ATB

Haddock,
Business Management
Class of 2006
XLRI

Hi kush

I have applied for the BM course. Is Maths more important for it or english?

Both are equally important.

Kush

as regards the GK goes i second both Kush and our friend Captain Haddock(Why this name yaar??). okay... i'll tell u my case.. was just generally aware of things around me.. I think last years GK could have been cracked if you knew generally wot was happening around you for the past few years and also were a decent guy in extra currics.. i mean a lil quizzing and a lil GK here and there... at least that was wot i felt when i wrote the paper. dunno how much mugging will help in the last few days. All the best. Hoping to see a gr8 batch in a few months time.

Regards,
Chandrasekhar
Student, Business Management
Class of 2006

wanted to as the XLers how good is the IT management at XL. :

Also how do the BM placements at XL compare to those of IIMs in terms of the profile, Salary and the companies visiting the campus.

Thanks

plz tell me if its easy to get a call frm PM&IR; as compared to BMin XAT
and if for PM&IR; TAKES ONLY VERBAL score in account
plz help me in this regard

hey guyz..
a bit of a stupid query but here goes....
i jus gave mockxat at ims today and they dint care to even ring bells after every 40 mins.. some of us jus asked the inviligator and moved on to the next section..
as expected gk took no time... i mean not the whole 40 mins... so many ppl jumped back to maths...????????? is it allowed?? i dont think it is... i cant jump back to the previous section i can... i jus wanna confirm.. i think it is not allowed!!
reply soon..
bye tc!

yes...there is most definitely sectional time-limits during the exam. infact, just like the simxat, the different sections have different colour paper so that the invigalator can check if u r doing the right section.

plz tell me if its easy to get a call frm PM&IR; as compared to BMin XAT
and if for PM&IR; TAKES ONLY VERBAL score in account
plz help me in this regard

There is no such funda as "it is easier to get pmir call". Both courses have different evaluation criteria for interview and final calls(sectional cutoffs, profile etc).

PM&IR; has sectional cutoff for all 3 sections.

Regds

Kush