Yet Another ranking - Fortune's Top 50 for getting hired

50 Best Business Schools for Getting Hired 2007: Full list | FORTUNE [image] 50 BEST B-SCHOOLS FOR GETTING HIRED 2007

50 Best Business Schools for Getting Hired 2007: Full list | FORTUNE
50 BEST B-SCHOOLS FOR GETTING HIRED 2007

thunderbird on #17???

rajna Says
thunderbird on #17???

Not only that.

UNC - Chapel Hill does not even feature. Quite odd!

Anyways, I dont know what to make of this ranking. I just saw the recruiter's score. Thatz it.

Think UNC is at 25, tied with Babson and a host of other schools.

Thunderbird Heavens!!!

Jack

Thunderbird is 17th because it is only school with large number of international placements.. And mebbe they have rigged the average to include PPP..

If Infy wants to hire for India from US, where will it go?
Thunderbird.

This should help explain why UNC isn't ranked, you'll find this footnote at the bottom of the rankings. With mistakes like these, who would actually give these rankings any credence at all?

Note: Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, was incorrectly listed in the 2006 QS recruiter survey and thus does not appear in this year's rankings. The school will be included in next year's survey. We regret the error.

50 Best Business Schools for Getting Hired 1 FORTUNE

Apparently, they confused UNC and NC State. UNC would be #12 with an average salary of $89k and signing bonus of $22k if the rankings were correct.

If Infy wants to hire for India from US, where will it go?
Thunderbird.

You are wrong. Look at employment reports for Columbia and Chicago. Indian companies are making it big. Thunderbird is wrongly placed at 17. It is i suppose the biggest error after the UNC stuff. That college is not worth going. I have a friend from the class of 2006 who is unemployed STILL. He is a smart dude too.
kgkid Says
You are wrong. Look at employment reports for Columbia and Chicago. Indian companies are making it big. Thunderbird is wrongly placed at 17. It is i suppose the biggest error after the UNC stuff. That college is not worth going. I have a friend from the class of 2006 who is unemployed STILL. He is a smart dude too.

I think i did not make myself clear in the first post..

Off course Infy can hire from all the top B Schools but if it is offering the job in USA itself.. However suppose it want some1 for its India center (the example is indicative only) then it will choose TB. Now in USA International placements are not seen in good light unlike here in India. Because US itself is the topmost desti. Therefore as TB is not a good school (I think 85th or so in rankings) there ppl take int'l assignments because they do not have good offers within US.

Now in this ranking TB folks seem to have given data after taking PPP into account and that is the reason it is so high on rankings...
subodh_iit Says
Now in USA International placements are not seen in good light unlike here in India. Because US itself is the topmost desti. Therefore as TB is not a good school (I think 85th or so in rankings) there ppl take int'l assignments because they do not have good offers within US.

You know something, you really ought to check up on your facts before posting. It's largely Asians that desire to stay in the US post-MBA. Most people from Latin America and Europe actally go back to their homeland post-MBA, which is why international reputation is a big deal. And FYI, Thunderbird has a good reputation in Latin America. There're plenty of Americans who take up international placements in Europe and Asia too.

I did not want to reply, but I do not like facts misrepresented. 😃
You know something, you really ought to check up on your facts before posting. It's largely Asians that desire to stay in the US post-MBA. Most people from Latin America and Europe actally go back to their homeland post-MBA, which is why international reputation is a big deal. And FYI, Thunderbird has a good reputation in Latin America. There're plenty of Americans who take up international placements in Europe and Asia too.

I did not want to reply, but I do not like facts misrepresented. :)

I do second your post. Tbird, although not the best school, has a strong reputation in Latam and most latinos return home/to the region post MBA. This is not to say we wouldnt like to work in the US or Europe but we definitely are not so desperate as Asians (please no offense here) about staying there. cheers

PGuru

Off course Infy can hire from all the top B Schools but if it is offering the job in USA itself.. However suppose it want some1 for its India center (the example is indicative only) then it will choose TB.

May I know the basis of these statements? Why would Infosys Infosys hire someone from US for its India centric operations? More imp question is why would someone chose to work in Infy India after doing MBA from US? Do you personally know some examples to validate the above statements?
itsrahul Says
More imp question is why would someone chose to work in Infy India after doing MBA from US? Do you personally know some examples to validate the above statements?

Going by your statements, you would be surprised at the number of ppl who work in India after doing their MBA abroad. Well.. granted maybe not right after completing their mba (loans and stuff to repay) but a lot of ppl do come back to India these days. How else do you think one gets interviewed by alumni in India? e.g Vikram Akula has set up SKS in India and he has got some Insead and Yale chaps with him. I think HT media has a Kellog guy in their market research set up.

You may say that I am giving isolated examples but thats just me and I haven't even researched on this aspect very diligently. I am sure you will find many such ppl if you search hard. For example - Insead batch of 2006 had 12 ppl who were placed in India. The brochure did not tell whether they were Indian or not but i guess odds are that they were (I could be wrong but it still is relevant as example that you were looking for). Another interesting fact - The salary range for these Insead guys in local currency was 900,000 - 150,000 (my memory is not v clear on upper limit though i am certain for lower limit). So atleast one guy/gal accepted an offer of about 9Lakh INR from Insead campus!

To sum up ppl do return back to India after MBA abroad. Reasons could be numerous - both personal and professional. In fact I am myself looking to head back home after my MBA and I am seriously working on how will I be able to pay off my debts in shortest possible time.
Going by your statements, you would be surprised at the number of ppl who work in India after doing their MBA abroad.

The statement should be interpreted as "Why would someone want to be recruited for a position in India offered by Infosys immediately after MBA?" I am not talking abt coming to India after 2-3 yrs.

Well.. granted maybe not right after completing their mba (loans and stuff to repay) but a lot of ppl do come back to India these days. How else do you think one gets interviewed by alumni in India? e.g Vikram Akula has set up SKS in India and he has got some Insead and Yale chaps with him. I think HT media has a Kellog guy in their market research set up.

You may say that I am giving isolated examples but thats just me and I haven't even researched on this aspect very diligently. I am sure you will find many such ppl if you search hard. For example - Insead batch of 2006 had 12 ppl who were placed in India. The brochure did not tell whether they were Indian or not but i guess odds are that they were (I could be wrong but it still is relevant as example that you were looking for). Another interesting fact - The salary range for these Insead guys in local currency was 900,000 - 150,000 (my memory is not v clear on upper limit though i am certain for lower limit). So atleast one guy/gal accepted an offer of about 9Lakh INR from Insead campus!

To sum up ppl do return back to India after MBA abroad. Reasons could be numerous - both personal and professional. In fact I am myself looking to head back home after my MBA and I am seriously working on how will I be able to pay off my debts in shortest possible time.

Agree with everything stated above.
My point was that if a person has spent some 40-50 lakh INR for his/her MBA, then he/she would not want to be directly recruited for an India based position where repaying the loan would take ages. I was not talking about exceptions, but about the general people.

Ok. Point taken!

If for a moment we move away from the example of Infosys, which is not a prefered employer even at the campuses of Indian biz schools like ISB/IIM-A then there are few factors (I am theorising here) that may lead to such a decision -

1.) Inability to land a job overseas - I cannot be sure of the statistics but I am leaning towards a thought that after spending an year at INSEAD, the 900,000 INR job would not have exactly made it to the top of the list for the dude/dudette in question. I guess he/she took it up because they had to.

(I looked up the stats on Insead again - the number of grads places in India was 16. Salary was reported for 9 grads, which ranged from 9L - 28L and median was 17L. You may look it up at Insead Career report).

Disclaimer:applied and dinged at insead.

2.) Someone recvd significant scholarships and was not too worried about loans etc and chose higher responsibility or nature of work over money etc etc. Not sure what are the relevant stats/examples in this context.

3.) Take a look at this link, which was posted on another thread - IIM-A pgpx stats. In the link it is reported that the highest Indian salary offered is 50L. Now according to the current conversion rate of 1USD ~ 45 INR, this is about 110,000 USD. This tallies with the avg. salary offered at most US schools. So may be if someone gets similar offer at a US school then he/she *may* pick it up. I guess one may be able to repay loan much faster owing to cheaper cost of living in India. Of course the lure of working overseas is v strong so the person must be open to returning home in the first place. e.g. I would gladly sign on the dotted line for such an offer. thank you very much. 😃

In fact for point 3. above, I have a feeling that purely on the basis of ROI calculations, one may end up repaying loans faster even with an offer a step below the top 50L package. However I do not want to mislead anyone as I havent done any such calculations (yet)!

I do second your post. Tbird, although not the best school, has a strong reputation in Latam and most latinos return home/to the region post MBA. This is not to say we wouldnt like to work in the US or Europe but we definitely are not so desperate as Asians (please no offense here) about staying there. cheers

PGuru

I guess EAGER is a much better and precise word than desperate. So my Asian friends are more eager to stay abroad Post MBA. Best regards to all....

Peruvian Guru
itsrahul Says
May I know the basis of these statements? Why would Infosys Infosys hire someone from US for its India centric operations? More imp question is why would someone chose to work in Infy India after doing MBA from US? Do you personally know some examples to validate the above statements?

I said example is indicative only. The company may as well be Goldman Sachs. The reason for choosing India may be that the Indian company is Good and job profile offered is better than what is being offered there in US.

Besides, I came to know that they have this system (recently done) in place in some of the top schools where Ur loan (or at least a part of it) can be waived if u choose to leave USA for ur home country..

PGuru

I agree with you. But among mot of the top colleges the opportunities and the money offered will be difficult to match by a Latin American company. Hence top B Schools do not have great International placements (there are some stray cases).

What I meant that Thunderbird's great rank may be subscribed to IT reporting its outgoing batch salaries on PPP terms. Again I am not sure about this. There can be alternative explanations too.

any more feedback on thunderbird?? its ranked number one in international business....heard its also got a good reputation in the US apart from latin america..and in parts of asia too...i checked with a friend at kelly indiana and he said tbird has a very good reputation in the US.

this thread shouldn't even exist - fortune, forbes, WSJ - all these rankings are just for rankings' sake, the only ones we refer to North America are BW, FT & USN(for US schools)...forget the rest

AS for T-Bird, it USED to be good - not anymore. Its core competency was International Business but now plentt of schools are good at teaching that, so T-Bird is struggling to have a new identity now. Only certain companies go there.

Anyways, a lot of students graduating from good US schools are currently struggling due to the lack of work visas or companies simply not hiring intl students, and the crappy immigration system. Unless you are going to a top 15 school or are focused only on IB/MC, I advise potential students from India to reconsider their decision to go to lower ranked schools.